Let me just say this Clive. I wish you could prove me wrong on this issue. Because I actually believe that women should be allowed to pastor, and I personally would like to see it. However, not my will but God's will, be done. And the only place we can find God's will, is in His words, either directly, or by inspiration through His Son, or His apostles.
If we can't agree on the authority of God's Holy Scriptures in all matters, then there is little that we can agree on, pertaining to Christianity.
Do you believe that it is biblically acceptable to have women in church teaching men in an authority position. If you do, please support your belief with scripture giving examples and make your defense of the passages which seem to be in opposition to your belief.
And please, try to keep it civil.![]()
I recently heard a pastor preaching on this. Back in those day men sat on one side and women the other....there was too much noise and the women would hollar across the room to ask what was just said, thus making it more confusing and noisey. Supposedly, that's where the rule came into play so they would be quiet and listen until they got home and then the husband would reitterate anything they missed. Because didn't Mary Magdelan teach God's word?Paul in the bible says women are to remain quiet in the church. Although I belong to a church that have female pastors, I think the original intent was for men to lead the congregation.
I have attended churches with female pastors and churches without. In all honesty it doesn't bother me either way. I would rather have a smart female pastor than a dumb male pastor. I mean I dont care what sex they are if they can teach me something.
It's not a question of whether it bothers us or whether the female is smart or whether the female has something to teach you... it's a question of whether Scripture allows it or not.
For example, let's say we are talking about instituting an elder (or overseer). Scripture says an overseer must be, among other things, the husband of one wife. In other words, if you want to be an overseer, you have to meet that qualification (among others).
Now, let's say that we go to a church which is looking for a new overseer. I suggest to you that we nominate Jones as an overseer. You object on the basis that Jones is a polygamist and is currently married to three different women. I respond "Sure, but that doesn't really bother me. I mean, after all, Jones is smart and might have something good to say." You probably wouldn't take me very seriously right? What does that matter if Scripture gives us certain qualifications and Jones fails to meet them?
This is the problem I see with a lot of the debates surrounding women pastors. They have a tendency to build their case on arguments that are irrelevant. Sure, a particular women may be smarter than some particular man, but that really is irrelevant.
It's not a question of whether it bothers us or whether the female is smart or whether the female has something to teach you... it's a question of whether Scripture allows it or not.
For example, let's say we are talking about instituting an elder (or overseer). Scripture says an overseer must be, among other things, the husband of one wife. In other words, if you want to be an overseer, you have to meet that qualification (among others).
Now, let's say that we go to a church which is looking for a new overseer. I suggest to you that we nominate Jones as an overseer. You object on the basis that Jones is a polygamist and is currently married to three different women. I respond "Sure, but that doesn't really bother me. I mean, after all, Jones is smart and might have something good to say." You probably wouldn't take me very seriously right? What does that matter if Scripture gives us certain qualifications and Jones fails to meet them?
This is the problem I see with a lot of the debates surrounding women pastors. They have a tendency to build their case on arguments that are irrelevant. Sure, a particular women may be smarter than some particular man, but that really is irrelevant.
I clearly don't support it at all.
Based on Bible teachings, women are to keep silent in church as Paul tought in 1st Corinthians 14
34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
36 ¶ What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?
37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.
and in the above verse 37 he say if you think you are more spiritual than him then know women keeping silent in the church is a commandment of the Lord not of Paul.
Then in Timothy he says
I TIMOTHY 2:11
11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
Another reason for her not preaching was she was the one deceived and not Adam and she brought all the sin we have so God commands her not to teach or usurp authority over a man.
Besides Bishops are shepherds in other words the Greek word BISHOP is the same in English we call PASTOR and Paul also tought concerning Bishop as in 1 Timothy 3.
1 This [is] a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
So these is self explanatory a bishop should be a husband of one wife.
That says Pastors (shepherd of God's flock should be men (married men)
God bless you
I believe the answer is yes because Paul was speaking specifically to the church in Corinth because there was disorder. It has to be taken in context.
Also, Deborah was a JUDGE...and prophetess and those callings are higher than those of a pastor.
The Methodists have some good teachings on this...tearing down the ERRONEOUS concepts that God favors men over women in the spreading and teaching of the Gospel.
Maggie