Do you think online dating goes against waiting on the Lord?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

BrotherMike

Be Still and Know
Jan 8, 2018
Nope, never know a special someone God has for you is waiting to be reached out to by online dating. I don't think it should be the only option, but an option.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
The modern single Christian question….

Are we stepping out of God’s will and timing by trying to do things our own way?

(FYI I’m not online dating.)

What is your opinion on this?
always stepping out of His will trying to do things on our own especially if someone is Christian. the way i see it is, how can a Christian not ask Jesus for help in finding a date? especially in this wacked out world. doesn't make sense!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I guess instagram is off limits then because its 'instant' unless they call it 'waitagram'

Jun 2, 2023
Not at all. Do you like hairy guys?:ROFL:

Handyman62

Jan 10, 2021
Rural South Carolina
Some rules to follow with online dating. 1. NEVER fall in LOVE!!! 2. Do not pour your heart out to anyone!! A girl in our church fell in love online, she wished to meet Bobby and Bobby turned out to be another girl!! Remember you can be and say anything to another online, even if it is a lie! Which in most cases is!! SO!!! When you place your trust in another other than the Lord, you're on shaky ground to say the least. Make sure by meeting that person before pouring out your heart, then if things work out, it was the Lord and if they do not, then you have learned something about trusting in self.
It's actually very easy to at least determine if the pictures of the person you are you are interacting with online are of that person. My method is if we seem to be doing well with our back and forth and sufficient time has past I will request a photo of the person in front of their stove, it could be something else but I choose the stove. I also offer to provide a selfie of their choice in exchange.

If the person is unwilling then at that point I assume they aren't who they say they are. Typically what happens is they disappear and I don't hear from them again. In the last 10 years there's only been one time where I got the photo I ask for. But in the end we never got to meet in person before we parted ways.

I also do a search for the photos online to see if they are stolen. If I find them someplace else online I bring that up to the person to see what they have to say and as always poof, no more contact.

Handyman62

Jan 10, 2021
Rural South Carolina
I think I've seen your profile somewhere else online... Can't remember where. Facebook perhaps?

View attachment 251879
That reminds me of some of the women's profiles that I have checked out that say " I'm looking for someone who will accept me the way I am."

Translation:

"I'm a very mean and difficult person to get along with and I want someone who will just shut up, bend over and kiss my backside" :eek:

Handyman62

Jan 10, 2021
Rural South Carolina
The modern single Christian question….

Are we stepping out of God’s will and timing by trying to do things our own way?

(FYI I’m not online dating.)

What is your opinion on this?
I personally don't think it's a problem. I also don't think God is in the dating business either. He does give people the opportunity to educate themselves on what to look for in a mate, but I think many will also take that to far and try to find the absolute perfect person which is likely an impossible task. If more people followed Gods basic laws on how were are to act and treat each other then finding good mate would be far easier.

I also believe once you have made a choice and marry you are in it for the long haul and should make the best of it if at all possible. Far to many want to cut and run when things get rough. Difficulty is part of life and most of the time we have no choice but to ride it out and marriage shouldn't be the exception.

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
Yes Handyman, the point is that you already are aware of the possible dangers, many are not so wise.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Well the Bible does say if you are single dont look for a mate

So many people ignore this scripture though.

1 Corinthians 7:27

So yea I would say its wasting your time. If God wants you married, He would send someone already, He has a hard time with the ones already married getting them to STAY married lol.

May 29, 2023
I've had friends and romances online. Can't say they've all been liars. In fact only one did I find to be a liar.
I've opened up to numerous people online with no issue.
Know the Actual rules for online dating and don't he afraid to check people out.

My current gf, who I met online, was bothered by my caution of her being who she claimed, at first. Over time I became convinced she wasn't lying. A person who is secretive, seems to be hiding you, not very open about their life, etc... are red flags.
My gf, on the other hand, was open about her life and the people in it. And thus it became evident she was who she claimed.
Also she has since seen episodes of Catfish and now understands my initial skepticism.
Really there are ways to go about things without judging everyone as a liar.
please what’s the name of the app or site for online dating.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Well the Bible does say if you are single dont look for a mate

So many people ignore this scripture though.

1 Corinthians 7:27
Being loosed from a wife is not single but divorced or widowed.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Being loosed from a wife is not single but divorced or widowed.
whatever magenta you sure like being picky

I wonder why so many divorced and widowed people are on the SINGLES forum looking for someone -pickings?

Paul just wrote you will have trouble in the flesh....if you are looking for trouble sure you'll find it.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I dated an app. She dumped me.
You too? I had that happen to me once. Something about my ram was far less than she wanted to spend, and my hard drive wasn't even big enough to fit her required closet space.