Do you think that technology helps lead us away from God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
What internet has done, is opened up "secret" places, and levels of spiritual warfare, in a "pseudo-spiritual" realm, with fleshly consequences, in what we call the material/physical world! To which? BOTH, are VERY REAL!

It is very much a "double-edged sword", so to speak. Good can be done! But, that doesn't get near the coverage, as the bad that is being done!

Tis very disturbing when one sees just how much one's inner self is revealed, when PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY, of what one says, or thinks, is taken "out of the picture", so to speak.

Took me a coupla years of playing online games, before I realized, just how much "a-whorring", I was and had been becoming!

Being 66 years old? Like others have stated? I will not own a smart phone! I don't even go on face book, much anymore.

If I were a parent? I would be EXTREMELY CONCERNED, about my children! As I'm sure, God is also EXTREMELY CONCERNED regarding those CALLED by His Name!

It TAKES (dunno how to say it correctly) "MENTALLY SPIRITUAL" DISCIPLINES, in ones' not getting, nor becoming SUCKED INTO the pseudo-spiritual realm of the VASTNESS of this thing called INTERNET!

On the other hand? It's really not so "pseudo" at all, to some! By people called by God's name? It's a "tool" that can be used in witnessing, and testifying, teaching, and (even) prophesying.

To be certain however? The spirit of anti christ is very much in these "ether-waves!" In fact the whole kingdom of darkness is as well!

It takes spiritual warriors, on levels that are not taught by word of mouth anymore in "churches of stone!"
Does this mean, or infer that "God is love", doesn't matter? OH! Con'traire! It matters very much! But, it also means that God IS, and has MUCH MORE then love, in his "tool bag!" It's just that today's churches focus on ONLY God's love and grace in Christ! The fact that Christ has a Father? Seems to get put "out of sight/out of mind!"

Tis very disappointing, pastors and teachers and leaders in today's churches don't "learn from "HIS-STORY", concerning the nation of Israel, before and DURING Jesus' walk on earth!
Cuz, as sure as I be sitting here? It appears today's churches of stone are REPEATING IT!

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Do you think that technology distracts us from God? Seems that it does for so many. I know its how you use it and what your intentions are but it really does seem to lead many astray and keeps their minds preocupied on things that are not of God.
Does this seem logical?
One of my pet peeves is replacing the pages of Scripture for technology. I see preachers without a Bible, dads and moms walking into churches with phones, not Bibles. This is a terrible witness to our kids and new believers.

Garydavid

Mar 10, 2019
What internet has done, is opened up "secret" places, and levels of spiritual warfare, in a "pseudo-spiritual" realm, with fleshly consequences, in what we call the material/physical world! To which? BOTH, are VERY REAL!

It is very much a "double-edged sword", so to speak. Good can be done! But, that doesn't get near the coverage, as the bad that is being done!

Tis very disturbing when one sees just how much one's inner self is revealed, when PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY, of what one says, or thinks, is taken "out of the picture", so to speak.

Took me a coupla years of playing online games, before I realized, just how much "a-whorring", I was and had been becoming!

Being 66 years old? Like others have stated? I will not own a smart phone! I don't even go on face book, much anymore.

If I were a parent? I would be EXTREMELY CONCERNED, about my children! As I'm sure, God is also EXTREMELY CONCERNED regarding those CALLED by His Name!

It TAKES (dunno how to say it correctly) "MENTALLY SPIRITUAL" DISCIPLINES, in ones' not getting, nor becoming SUCKED INTO the pseudo-spiritual realm of the VASTNESS of this thing called INTERNET!

On the other hand? It's really not so "pseudo" at all, to some! By people called by God's name? It's a "tool" that can be used in witnessing, and testifying, teaching, and (even) prophesying.

To be certain however? The spirit of anti christ is very much in these "ether-waves!" In fact the whole kingdom of darkness is as well!

It takes spiritual warriors, on levels that are not taught by word of mouth anymore in "churches of stone!"
Does this mean, or infer that "God is love", doesn't matter? OH! Con'traire! It matters very much! But, it also means that God IS, and has MUCH MORE then love, in his "tool bag!" It's just that today's churches focus on ONLY God's love and grace in Christ! The fact that Christ has a Father? Seems to get put "out of sight/out of mind!"

Tis very disappointing, pastors and teachers and leaders in today's churches don't "learn from "HIS-STORY", concerning the nation of Israel, before and DURING Jesus' walk on earth!
Cuz, as sure as I be sitting here? It appears today's churches of stone are REPEATING IT!
Very well stated and understood. Yes there is good to be had with the internet such witnessing and many others. But as you said, its the bad that is being predominant. It seems to present itself to those without d
As a former elementary school teacher, and grandmother to 6 young grandchildren, social media is no one's friend. Add to that, almost any program or screen time for young children, and there is a huge experiment going in for this generation and future generations, that could bring down society, IMO!

My 2 month old grandson, is more attracted to a screen, than his mother's face. Three of my other grandkids, the same. Two grandchildren are not affected at all! Because their parents have not let them use screens, except in long distance car trips, where the watch pre-screened children's movies. No games, nothing else.

One 6 year old had autism, he reads at a high level, and can do anything on an IPad. But his speech lags behind, his social interactions are poor. His parents mouth how important it is for their kids to only be online occasionally. Other than hockey and school, he is literally online every other minute. He is total Addict!

The two not allowed on screens are articulate, creative, have excellent social interactions, and both attend a charter gifted school. Their mom is a doctor, she read all the scholarly research on screens and young children, and talked it over with my son, and they both agree no screen time. I can't believe anyone would chose otherwise. They are active in hockey, soccer, swimming and skiing. They play outside with the neighbourhood kids daily.

The grandson who cannot turn off the IPad never plays outside for fun. He only plays in a park, for a short time, under the eye of one or both kids. Another way to stifle children's development.

My kids did not grow up with phones or computers. Except my daughter, that I bought a phone for in grade 11, after she got her driver's license. She's pretty hooked on screens, too!

The worst is my husband and me. I am on my IPhone, IPad or computer a lot of the day. I say I am there to help people grow in God, and learn things. But it is a lie.

I believe it has pulled my husband far from God. It certainly has not enhanced my walk with God.

I really fear for the outcome of this big social experiment. Because if a baby, a 6 year old, a 40 year old and a 65 year old can all get addicted, what will happen when those raised with the internet do not even know how bad it is!?

Here are a few articles to ponde. They do not directly address the OP's question of how screenscaffect spiritual development or our spiritual relationship with God, but let me put it this way:

If screens affect social, physical, and cognitive development, I would think they are also damaging to spiritual development and our relationship with God!

https://academic.oup.com/pch/article/22/8/461/4392451

https://centerforparentingeducation...fecting-the-growing-brains-of-their-children/

Here's a God article which specifically applies to Christians and media!

https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/smartphone-addiction-and-our-spiritual-add
You are most observant as well as aware. I witness these things everyday and have been for awhile now. During the time i have been observing this i have noticed this getting so much more pronounced. I havent done any research on this, i only speak from my observations. It is literaly tearing people apart in so many different ways that it makes it difficult to explain them all. Its the children i am most concerned about. They have no disernment, making them fresh innocent vessels to fill with whatever might be out there. We dont allow our children to have cell phones. They are older now, 14 and 16. We stuck with it and i am so pleased that we did. Thats another concern. The parents allow this to a high degree. It creates a strong peer pressure when the other students have them and they dont. It created somewhat of a battle saying no, but now they see why and most important they accept this. Once a child gets used to having something like a phone, well just try to take it way later. Now thats a battle.
Well thank you for your reply and i hope you and yours will drift closer and not further. God bless.....

Garydavid

Mar 10, 2019
One of my pet peeves is replacing the pages of Scripture for technology. I see preachers without a Bible, dads and moms walking into churches with phones, not Bibles. This is a terrible witness to our kids and new believers.
Yes our kids. What a horrible example this society is showing them. I think they might grow up to be very angry when they see that family has been replaced with a phone. Its already happening i fear. God bless...

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Do you think that technology distracts us from God?
Technology is simply a tool. But addiction to technology (or anything else) is because of other factors. It is quite unfortunate that so many have become addicted to their iPhones.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
i've had classes with people who didn't bring notebooks - they brought laptops, and typed their notes into them rather than writing them by hand. it didn't seem to me - tho i of course didn't have all the details, but you can generally tell - that they were more likely to be poor students or more likely to be aces. it seemed to work for them, being paperless.

my thoughts were, however - how do you draw diagrams? how do you write complex math that requires specialized symbols?
i know that i am not the 'average' class-note-taker in that regard; i draw a lot of pictures in my notes while the person next to me may not ever draw one, and we're taking the same dictation. i think more visually than a lot of others do.

but it seems to me there are limitations. improved tech may overcome these - it may have already and i'm unaware, tho there will always be one limitation: pen & paper need no electricity.

it surprised me at first. but i can see some advantages, and i can see that tech has developed to the point now that this is workable, and at least adequate, for a variety of types of classes, and may in fact be preferable for certain disciplines like CS. there are classes i bring my laptop to, and make a lot of use in, but i always still carry a notebook too.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
i've had classes with people who didn't bring notebooks - they brought laptops, and typed their notes into them rather than writing them by hand. it didn't seem to me - tho i of course didn't have all the details, but you can generally tell - that they were more likely to be poor students or more likely to be aces. it seemed to work for them, being paperless.

my thoughts were, however - how do you draw diagrams? how do you write complex math that requires specialized symbols?
i know that i am not the 'average' class-note-taker in that regard; i draw a lot of pictures in my notes while the person next to me may not ever draw one, and we're taking the same dictation. i think more visually than a lot of others do.

but it seems to me there are limitations. improved tech may overcome these - it may have already and i'm unaware, tho there will always be one limitation: pen & paper need no electricity.

it surprised me at first. but i can see some advantages, and i can see that tech has developed to the point now that this is workable, and at least adequate, for a variety of types of classes, and may in fact be preferable for certain disciplines like CS. there are classes i bring my laptop to, and make a lot of use in, but i always still carry a notebook too.
a lot of people i know use phones or tablets at bible studies too.

there are obvious advantages: you can search, you can bring up multiple translations, you can find commentaries and definitions and look at original languages quickly and with great facility. a single electronic device, especially connected to the web, replaces more books than you could carry in with a wagon. i remember Angela saying she used to carry an armful of books to church with her, and IIRC she uses a tablet now? correct me if i'm wrong sis. but it really does make a certain sense. you have a tool; use it: tools enable a person to accomplish much more work more efficiently than bare hands.

i use my phone sometimes in these situations for exactly such purposes, and it is a great help, and i consider myself blessed to live in this age and in the developed world, where mounds of knowledge are so accessible.
but i take a physical book too. and a pen, and at the very least some scraps of paper stuffed between the pages that i can scribble, doodle on, or fold, as i would.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
you have a tool; use it: tools enable a person to accomplish much more work more efficiently than bare hands.
in my opinion tech is a tool.
you can plant a garden with a shovel or you can murder with one.
the shovel isn't evil. it only facilitates work - whether you work for good, and the shovel helps you do so, or you work for evil, and the shovel helps you do so also, it isn't the shovel, but you, and what you do with it.

it's no different than the tongue - which can bless or which can curse - and isn't it so, that you can bless and curse also even if you are mute?

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
Everything leads us away from God, the reason you need to fast and pray without ceasing. Fasting and praying without ceasing has nothing to do with food and an endless speech but a continuous desire to know God.

Mar 28, 2016
I think the mark establishes a principle not a outward sign.

Can technology be used to discover the future, or a source to give a infallibly account of the past? If not why would a person but their trust in a outward sign warning that has to do with technical advances? It went from a literal mark on the head or hand to a electronic chip ..Hand and head in the Bible simply represent the will. I would ask …. what's next lead suits and gloves to block the microwaves, eye retina ID, heat signal ID ??

That would seem in one sense to being giving electrons as rudiments of this world the power to control the hearts of men and not scripture the source of a living faith, a living Hope of God that works in us who do beleive.. We do not know Christ after the created rudiments of this world. I think John knew what the mark represented. God gave him His thoughts John wrote down as that needed to reveal the mystery, as with all prophets watching to give understanding.

God watches over it to make sure his word is fullfilled.Makes me wonder according to the querry (Luke 18:8) when he does come will he find faith or a worn out religious book that has been made no effect by the oral traditions of men as a signs and wonders gospel?

Luke 18:8 I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

Garydavid

Mar 10, 2019
Technology is simply a tool. But addiction to technology (or anything else) is because of other factors. It is quite unfortunate that so many have become addicted to their iPhones.
You are right, it is only a tool. But unlike just a tool this one has a c
Yes, its a time robber, and relationship killer. I speak from SMartphone,Computer, TV and Company. You cant see nearly nobody who is not staring in his Handy. And it becomes more difficult to live without this. For us old folks, which know a time before the Handy/socialmedia age began it may be not so tremendous, but for the young generations today this is worse and will be more worse.
Other techneologie like in Hospital are of course useful.
I suppose you meant in first line the smartphone, I phone, socialmedia technologie.
Yes definately.

With all the good technology brings, it has destroyed an entire generation. Morally speaking

The kind of wickedness the new generation can access from their phones is UNHEARD OF in the past.

https://nogreaterjoy.org/articles/this-is-the-last-righteous-generation/

^Thats serious!

But as wolfwint said, im walking down the street and its iphone zombie apocalypse all over! My phone doesnt even got internet!
Here is a video thats speaks about this topic.

Feb 28, 2016
it's human 'nature' that ruins every thing, and we know 'who is behind and influencing 'human-nature' -
the 'prince of the power of the air', that is, the evil, negative energy that our world is filled with...
the 'fruits bear witness'...

Garydavid

Mar 10, 2019
it's human 'nature' that ruins every thing, and we know 'who is behind and influencing 'human-nature' -
the 'prince of the power of the air', that is, the evil, negative energy that our world is filled with...
th
the 'fruits bear witness'...
Yes, i do believe your right
e 'fruits bear witness'...

Troubled65

Feb 22, 2018
As a former elementary school teacher, and grandmother to 6 young grandchildren, social media is no one's friend. Add to that, almost any program or screen time for young children, and there is a huge experiment going in for this generation and future generations, that could bring down society, IMO!

My 2 month old grandson, is more attracted to a screen, than his mother's face. Three of my other grandkids, the same. Two grandchildren are not affected at all! Because their parents have not let them use screens, except in long distance car trips, where the watch pre-screened children's movies. No games, nothing else.

One 6 year old had autism, he reads at a high level, and can do anything on an IPad. But his speech lags behind, his social interactions are poor. His parents mouth how important it is for their kids to only be online occasionally. Other than hockey and school, he is literally online every other minute. He is total Addict!

The two not allowed on screens are articulate, creative, have excellent social interactions, and both attend a charter gifted school. Their mom is a doctor, she read all the scholarly research on screens and young children, and talked it over with my son, and they both agree no screen time. I can't believe anyone would chose otherwise. They are active in hockey, soccer, swimming and skiing. They play outside with the neighbourhood kids daily.

The grandson who cannot turn off the IPad never plays outside for fun. He only plays in a park, for a short time, under the eye of one or both kids. Another way to stifle children's development.

My kids did not grow up with phones or computers. Except my daughter, that I bought a phone for in grade 11, after she got her driver's license. She's pretty hooked on screens, too!

The worst is my husband and me. I am on my IPhone, IPad or computer a lot of the day. I say I am there to help people grow in God, and learn things. But it is a lie.

I believe it has pulled my husband far from God. It certainly has not enhanced my walk with God.

I really fear for the outcome of this big social experiment. Because if a baby, a 6 year old, a 40 year old and a 65 year old can all get addicted, what will happen when those raised with the internet do not even know how bad it is!?

Here are a few articles to ponde. They do not directly address the OP's question of how screenscaffect spiritual development or our spiritual relationship with God, but let me put it this way:

If screens affect social, physical, and cognitive development, I would think they are also damaging to spiritual development and our relationship with God!

https://academic.oup.com/pch/article/22/8/461/4392451

https://centerforparentingeducation...fecting-the-growing-brains-of-their-children/

Here's a God article which specifically applies to Christians and media!

https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/smartphone-addiction-and-our-spiritual-add
Hi Angela, thank you for posting the possible terrible effects these devices are having on our young people. I believe you would be very interested in DR. Nick Begich's website (www.earthpulse.com) he covers the topic quite extensively. Happy reading, and keep spreading the word. God bless, Troubled65

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
I don't see why it should.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I'm not personally aware, currently, of any intrinsic problems with computers, computer screens, or technology in general.

But there IS a problem with humans in general.

Much of our technology's PROGRAMMING is designed, intentionally, to create and elicit addictive behaviors.

Even forum software is designed with likes, notifications, and various "positive feedbacks" to capture our attention, disrupt us when we leave, and keep us thinking about the site. With other types of social media it's much worse. Many Silicon Valley moguls don't let their own children use the social media they create. And that's a fact.

Anyway, there may be something intrinsically wrong with computers and little screens, but nothing I'm aware of.
But the programming created by other fallen humans is definitely working against us.
That's just human nature.
That's what fallen humans do.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
a lot of people i know use phones or tablets at bible studies too.

there are obvious advantages: you can search, you can bring up multiple translations, you can find commentaries and definitions and look at original languages quickly and with great facility. a single electronic device, especially connected to the web, replaces more books than you could carry in with a wagon. i remember Angela saying she used to carry an armful of books to church with her, and IIRC she uses a tablet now? correct me if i'm wrong sis. but it really does make a certain sense. you have a tool; use it: tools enable a person to accomplish much more work more efficiently than bare hands.

i use my phone sometimes in these situations for exactly such purposes, and it is a great help, and i consider myself blessed to live in this age and in the developed world, where mounds of knowledge are so accessible.
but i take a physical book too. and a pen, and at the very least some scraps of paper stuffed between the pages that i can scribble, doodle on, or fold, as i would.
Yes, an IPhone has replaced arms of books. But these days, I'm being fed pablum, no need for even a Bible. So, commentaries, lexicons, and various Bibles, I use at home. I love the people in my church, but not happy with the new pastor. If I am ever in a church hiring a new pastor again, I will be asking a lot of deep theological questions. And I will be voting against anyone that either can't answer the questions, or answers them wrong!

And if you wonder which CC debate I am talking about, it is open theology. He tried to pull me into his cult, I just walked away! Sigh!