Do you think that technology helps lead us away from God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

KnowMe

Yea the social media stuff is getting out of hand rather it be tweeter, Facebook, texting, Christianchat almost anything of social interest can cause people to over indulge.

Mar 28, 2016
Yea the social media stuff is getting out of hand rather it be tweeter, Facebook, texting, Christianchat almost anything of social interest can cause people to over indulge.

Or if I could add to tweeter, Facebook, texting.... Computer chips placed under the skin or on a hand or forehead.

Proverbs 23:23 Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding.

And not like Esau who saw no value in spiritual unseen matters of God. But sold his birth rite to his brother for a cup of venison soup. Or like Cain who also had no faith and when offered the gospel sent by Abel,,,, to show he had no faith, killed his brother as a misperceived competition as in "out of sight out of mind" (walking by sight). His punishment that marked the occasion was a suffering he could not bear. Christ alone bore it . Abel blood to represent the gospel cries out to this day declaring: . Have the faith of God in respect to the unseen Spirit of Christ, the Holy Spirit of God.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think theres a verse that says one is taken in by their own craftiness.

Job 5:12-14 he taketh the wise in their own craftiness, so that their hands cannot perform their enterprise.
He taketh the wise in their own craftiness: and the counsel of the forward is carried headlong.
They meet with darkness in the daytime, and grope in the noonday as in the night.

So true, the sun may be shining, its a glorious day outside, but the slaves to technology are in windolwless buildings with floursecent lights on all the time, looking at screens and pushing buttons and thinking they are actually doing something useful, but their shortcuts to laziness will bite them in the end when the power runs out.

K

KnowMe

Or if I could add to tweeter, Facebook, texting.... Computer chips placed under the skin or on a hand or forehead.

Proverbs 23:23 Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding.

And not like Esau who saw no value in spiritual unseen matters of God. But sold his birth rite to his brother for a cup of venison soup. Or like Cain who also had no faith and when offered the gospel sent by Abel,,,, to show he had no faith, killed his brother as a misperceived competition as in "out of sight out of mind" (walking by sight). His punishment that marked the occasion was a suffering he could not bear. Christ alone bore it . Abel blood to represent the gospel cries out to this day declaring: . Have the faith of God in respect to the unseen Spirit of Christ, the Holy Spirit of God.
I agree though I’m not convince the chip under the skin is leading folks away, is that technology happening today in humans, I know dogs and cats can get them but I don’t know if humans are now.

Garydavid

Mar 10, 2019
Do you think that anything can be done about this? Or do you think that theres not enough people that care about this at this time?

K

KnowMe

Do you think that anything can be done about this? Or do you think that theres not enough people that care about this at this time?
Probably not enough.

Mar 28, 2016
I agree though I’m not convince the chip under the skin is leading folks away, is that technology happening today in humans, I know dogs and cats can get them but I don’t know if humans are now.
I would think its not so much the media but the "manner of spirit".

It could be compared to the Luke 9 account, it comes to mind. .It has help to define the us in Christ helping us to distinguished those who went out from us. Immediately after a demonstration of the mighty power that caused a amazement . I believe God gave them a parable to hide the spiritual understandings. Immediately not understanding the parable (Christ hiding it from them) they disregarded the person Jesus and began what I call.... playing the game who is the greatest.

And they were all amazed at the mighty power of God. But while they wondered every one at all things which Jesus did, he said unto his disciples, Let these sayings sink down into your ears: for the Son of man shall be delivered into the hands of men. But they understood not this saying, and it was hid from them, that they perceived it not: and they feared to ask him of that saying.

Then there arose a reasoning among them, "which of them should be greatest".And Jesus, perceiving the thought of their heart, took a child, and set him by him,And said unto them, Whosoever shall receive this child in my name receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me receiveth him that sent me: for he that is least among you all, the same shall be great. And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us. And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us. And it came to pass, when the time was come that he should be received up, he stedfastly set his face to go to Jerusalem,And sent messengers before his face: and they went, and entered into a village of the Samaritans, to make ready for him. And they did not receive him, because his face was as though he would go to Jerusalem. And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what "manner of spirit" ye are of.Luke 9 43-55

They were walking after the spirit of this world.... no faith.

We do not seek after it as if it was a sign and wonder with a wonder working as a source of faith . That would associate it with natural man . But more of the mark of a attitude of no faith in God. Like the mark of Cain whose punishment was more than he could bear not a literal mark but of the spiritual manner, the unseen law of faith .

Feb 28, 2016
ROMANS 8:16-17.
The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with Him,
that we may be also glorified together.

amen...

K

KnowMe

I would think its not so much the media but the "manner of spirit".

It could be compared to the Luke 9 account, it comes to mind. .It has help to define the us in Christ helping us to distinguished those who went out from us. Immediately after a demonstration of the mighty power that caused a amazement . I believe God gave them a parable to hide the spiritual understandings. Immediately not understanding the parable (Christ hiding it from them) they disregarded the person Jesus and began what I call.... playing the game who is the greatest.

And they were all amazed at the mighty power of God. But while they wondered every one at all things which Jesus did, he said unto his disciples, Let these sayings sink down into your ears: for the Son of man shall be delivered into the hands of men. But they understood not this saying, and it was hid from them, that they perceived it not: and they feared to ask him of that saying.

Then there arose a reasoning among them, "which of them should be greatest".And Jesus, perceiving the thought of their heart, took a child, and set him by him,And said unto them, Whosoever shall receive this child in my name receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me receiveth him that sent me: for he that is least among you all, the same shall be great. And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us. And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us. And it came to pass, when the time was come that he should be received up, he stedfastly set his face to go to Jerusalem,And sent messengers before his face: and they went, and entered into a village of the Samaritans, to make ready for him. And they did not receive him, because his face was as though he would go to Jerusalem. And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what "manner of spirit" ye are of.Luke 9 43-55

They were walking after the spirit of this world.... no faith.

We do not seek after it as if it was a sign and wonder with a wonder working as a source of faith . That would associate it with natural man . But more of the mark of a attitude of no faith in God. Like the mark of Cain whose punishment was more than he could bear not a literal mark but of the spiritual manner, the unseen law of faith .
So the chip thing could be considered of a natural man thing.

K

KnowMe

Do you think that technology distracts us from God? Seems that it does for so many. I know its how you use it and what your intentions are but it really does seem to lead many astray and keeps their minds preocupied on things that are not of God.
Does this seem logical?
I had some more thoughts on this, and yes some technology can lead people away, though other technology can lead people to God like if a person needed a liver transplant and someone donated half their liver to save that persons life. that act alone and the fact the person survived and experienced how life is a such precious thing and that led them to a spiritual awakening. I could see that happening to someone.

Garydavid

Mar 10, 2019
I had some more thoughts on this, and yes some technology can lead people away, though other technology can lead people to God like if a person needed a liver transplant and someone donated half their liver to save that persons life. that act alone and the fact the person survived and experienced how life is a such precious thing and that led them to a spiritual awakening. I could see that happening to someone.
So the chip thing could be considered of a natural man thing.
Oh yes, your right to be sure. It has saved countless lives. But to be clear on why i posted this, it is because of its negative influence on children, parents and anyone that cant get that phone out of their face. I posted this on my own observations and then after hearing many replies on this i did some research on this and was surprised to see that this really is becoming a huge serious problem in our society. If one were to do some research on this they would the seriousness of it. The only reason i posted this was out of concern for the children and people in general for their welfare. Its hard to break a habit, then an addiction, then.............who knows.
Hey! God bless you....

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
It is depressing to see so many people glued to their phone screens all the time. No smartphone here, I just own a computer. Don't know if I'll ever get a smartphone.
I just use a simple TracFone, mainly to call my wife for a few minutes during my lunch break at work. I do use a laptop, mainly for banking purposes and spending some free time on this site.

K

KnowMe

Oh yes, your right to be sure. It has saved countless lives. But to be clear on why i posted this, it is because of its negative influence on children, parents and anyone that cant get that phone out of their face. I posted this on my own observations and then after hearing many replies on this i did some research on this and was surprised to see that this really is becoming a huge serious problem in our society. If one were to do some research on this they would the seriousness of it. The only reason i posted this was out of concern for the children and people in general for their welfare. Its hard to break a habit, then an addiction, then.............who knows.
Hey! God bless you....
Yea I do agree with that, I work at a college and have had a young person walk right into my work truck then look up from their phone and be surprised they walked into a van, hahaha..

Garydavid

Mar 10, 2019
I just use a simple TracFone, mainly to call my wife for a few minutes during my lunch break at work. I do use a laptop, mainly for banking purposes and spending some free time on this site.
H@
Thats what i have, a phone like yours. They wouldnt stare at that phone for long would they? Haaaaha. I just made myself laugh.
Ok. talk to you later. God bless.....

Garydavid

Mar 10, 2019
Yea I do agree with that, I work at a college and have had a young person walk right into my work truck then look up from their phone and be surprised they walked into a van, hahaha..
Haaahaaa. Hey! That person was lucky. That van could have been a cliff!!!
Hey talk to you later. God bless....

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
H@

Thats what i have, a phone like yours. They wouldnt stare at that phone for long would they? Haaaaha. I just made myself laugh.
Ok. talk to you later. God bless.....
...same to you brother.

K

KnowMe

Haaahaaa. Hey! That person was lucky. That van could have been a cliff!!!
Hey talk to you later. God bless....
Right on, and lucky I wasn’t moving either.

God bless

stillness

Jan 28, 2013
Walk trough the valley
Do you think that technology distracts us from God? Seems that it does for so many. I know its how you use it and what your intentions are but it really does seem to lead many astray and keeps their minds preocupied on things that are not of God.
Does this seem logical?
Yes there will be no techno in heaven, banned for all time, mm no time as we know it in heaven anyway, no need for technology to keep in time. All kidding aside, once I asked the Lord if I should get a gun for hunting in case there's a famine. Can you guess His answer?
Its not yes or no: You don't need any inventions. Big difference between needs and wants, needs: "Having food and clothing, let us be content." Want everything else. "Money answers all things." Did you know its in the bible? Do you know the meaning? "A feast for laughter and wine makes merry, and money answers all things." Took me years to figure out: If you can make a woman laugh, you've won her heart, then there's a wedding celebration, if you can answer all her questions. But it sounds better in the proverb with the hidden meaning. It helped me accept that as a lower middle class, I could only answer the questions of a poor woman from the Philippines that I met on this site, She works in Hong Kong as a Nanny for 600 US a month 6 days a week over 10 hours a day + room and board, and supports her two children in the Philippines and pays a Nanny, She makes me think of the peasant woman in the Song of Songs.

Nov 26, 2012
Does this seem logical?
I think that for those seeking God, technology makes meeting Christians, bible study, and fellowshipping more practical for some. For those who get easily distracted and in constant need for entertainment and acceptance, technology and social media is like legal cocaine, flooding the serotonin and dopamine receptors. This leads to addiction like any narcotic.

Feb 24, 2019
Does this seem logical?
There are now and have always been many, many 'distractions' for our "itching ears".

If you TRULY make your desire to 'know God and Jesus Christ' (John 17:3) just 'one' of your many distractions then, like Aaron's staff, it will swallow up all the other staffs (Exodus 7:12), and your whole desire will be for God.

And the way you make your desire for this 'eternal life' (John 17:3) one of your distractions is through TRULY doing the work of believing in Jesus (John 6:29).