Does 1 John 1:9 mean we have to repent more than once?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
The same book of John you quote for that permission to sin, says those who
sin are children of the devil.

1John 1:7-10 is very useful for proving that everyone, Christians included,
favor the wrong side of the aisle; and why so? Well; thanks to the forbidden
fruit incident, we all, including Christians, have a Serpent's nature instead of
our maker's nature.

"The Son of God appeared for this purpose: that He might destroy the works
of the Devil." (1John 3:8)

Now that is really, really, good news because it means there's a safety net
for everyone who accepts the awful truth that we were born wrong the first
time-- the very fact that we sin proves it, viz: were we God's offspring like
Jesus, we wouldn't sin at all.

"No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him;
and he cannot sin, because he is born of God." (1 John 3:9)
_

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
Thread Title

My view

I say ------Repentance is a mind change ------

Repentance is the first step in receiving Salvation ------you have to know in your mind that you are a Sinner and have lead a sinful life and now because now you have responded to God drawing and opening your eyes and heart you now are ready to Confess that you are a Sinner and want to change the direction of your Mind --which will change the direction of your life -----

Strong's Concordance
metanoia: change of mind, r
epentance

Usage: repentance, a change of mind, change in the inner man

a change of mind: as it appears in one who repents of a purpose he has formed or of something he has done
especially the change of mind of those who have begun to abhor their errors and misdeeds, and have determined to enter upon a better course of life, so that it embraces both a recognition of sin and sorrow for it and hearty amendment, the tokens and effects of which are good deeds

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I say ------Confession is agreeing with God that you are a Sinner who needs to repent and receive Salvation ------

Strong's Concordance
homologeó: to speak the same, to agree

Usage: (a) I promise, agree, (b) I confess, (c) I publicly declare,
to declare openly, speak out freely (A. V. generally confess;

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Worldly thinking people have to accept God's drawing to open their mind --ears and heart ---to come to understand that they need to change they way of their worldly thinking to accepting God's word that can inbirth the right faith in them to begin the process of Salvation ------

Once Saved ---your worldly thinking remains in tact ------So repentance carries on until you grow in your Faith and become Mature in your way thinking so you can resist the World's way of thinking and remain in God's way of thinking ------

Romans 12:2 AMP
And do not be conformed to this world [any longer with its superficial values and customs], but be transformed and progressively changed [as you mature spiritually] by the renewing of your mind [focusing on godly values and ethical attitudes], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His plan and purpose for you].

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When we are Saved ---we will still sin -----so Confessing your sin with your mouth then is important even though your sins are forgiven ---as confessing them is for us --- not God -----to know and realize that we must try to keep our Minds steadfast on resisting our flesh to sin ------and to cast down any thoughts that Satan can put in our minds to commit a sin ------

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
1 John 1:9

King James Version

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
+++

I believe this scripture Is talking about salvation and not continuously asking for forgiveness.
Well I will answer you I wont debate where some have to yell at you. I don't do it to others so I don't like it done to me. I have asked in love.. praise God. Frist grace in this thread got tossed around with a lack of understanding. Well I know Grace teachers and not one that I know of says, preaches "no need to confess". Just a classic attack on those you don't agree with and not backing it up with scripture. When quoting just two of them "we can't freely sin" 'we repent" on and on. Again praise God and its not about what others believe :)

With 1st John there are two things going on. One there were those in that day that believed they didn't sin. If we back up a verse I believe it says "if we say we have no sin we deceive our self's and the truth is not in us." So knowing just who He (sweet spirit of God) was talking to helps. I am not here to tell you what His word "really" says. For me with kids they will always be mine nothing they can do will change that. There are kids out side my home that are not mine. But my kids I love them they love me yet they can still hurt me which does not change my love or them being my children. Not a good example. If I didn't repent I will still go to heaven. There are many that will just make it in yet no reward.

For me if I sin it puts something between me and my Father and it opens a door to the enemy to come in to my life and those around me. It gives him rights. Same with Adam and Eve. That one sin handed over all the Father gave us. in this fallen world there is still a price if we sin. With our Father that sin the price for it has been paid. If I lie cheat steal do harm confess it mean it.. He will always forgive cleans me from all unrighteousness. Yet in this world I will pay for that lying cheating stealing and doing harm.

So much here is meat.. I read willingly sin. Another one of those that really hits hard on those weak in the faith. We all through out our life willingly sin haha no one makes us sin. There are times we are tempted. Its knowing Christ paid the price you reject it and now willingly sin. There remains no sacrifice for that. Without Christ.. there ya go. For me just those coming out of the great tribulation the number in heaven no one can number.. YES AMEN! Most will be saved since for me its as Christ said "if you were blind you would have no sin you say you see your sin remains. Like people all over Christian forums will tell you how wrong false grace teachers are or Word of Faith are yet what they personally believe is the real Gospel. Your the one that is blind.. praise God. Me? If am wrong Father Change me 1st.. help me to see where I am missing it and if wrong as so many Word of Faith teachers and Baptist and some (few) Catholics and haha some (few) grace teachers said "if I miss it tell me I will repent and get it right".

So 1st John...it is just that. If I sin.. I will confess it and He will forgive me and cleans me from all unrighteousness'. I have no right to freely sin even though He already died for ever sin I will ever do. I am free.. I can do all things yet not all are profitable

Dec 9, 2011
Thread Title

My view

I say ------Repentance is a mind change ------

Repentance is the first step in receiving Salvation ------you have to know in your mind that you are a Sinner and have lead a sinful life and now because now you have responded to God drawing and opening your eyes and heart you now are ready to Confess that you are a Sinner and want to change the direction of your Mind --which will change the direction of your life -----

Strong's Concordance
metanoia: change of mind, r
epentance

Usage: repentance, a change of mind, change in the inner man

a change of mind: as it appears in one who repents of a purpose he has formed or of something he has done
especially the change of mind of those who have begun to abhor their errors and misdeeds, and have determined to enter upon a better course of life, so that it embraces both a recognition of sin and sorrow for it and hearty amendment, the tokens and effects of which are good deeds

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I say ------Confession is agreeing with God that you are a Sinner who needs to repent and receive Salvation ------

Strong's Concordance
homologeó: to speak the same, to agree

Usage: (a) I promise, agree, (b) I confess, (c) I publicly declare,
to declare openly, speak out freely (A. V. generally confess;

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Worldly thinking people have to accept God's drawing to open their mind --ears and heart ---to come to understand that they need to change they way of their worldly thinking to accepting God's word that can inbirth the right faith in them to begin the process of Salvation ------

Once Saved ---your worldly thinking remains in tact ------So repentance carries on until you grow in your Faith and become Mature in your way thinking so you can resist the World's way of thinking and remain in God's way of thinking ------

Romans 12:2 AMP
And do not be conformed to this world [any longer with its superficial values and customs], but be transformed and progressively changed [as you mature spiritually] by the renewing of your mind [focusing on godly values and ethical attitudes], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His plan and purpose for you].

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When we are Saved ---we will still sin -----so Confessing your sin with your mouth then is important even though your sins are forgiven ---as confessing them is for us --- not God -----to know and realize that we must try to keep our Minds steadfast on resisting our flesh to sin ------and to cast down any thoughts that Satan can put in our minds to commit a sin ------

If you don't continue to confess after you have repented will you lose your salvation?

Dec 9, 2011
Well I will answer you I wont debate where some have to yell at you. I don't do it to others so I don't like it done to me. I have asked in love.. praise God. Frist grace in this thread got tossed around with a lack of understanding. Well I know Grace teachers and not one that I know of says, preaches "no need to confess". Just a classic attack on those you don't agree with and not backing it up with scripture. When quoting just two of them "we can't freely sin" 'we repent" on and on. Again praise God and its not about what others believe :)

With 1st John there are two things going on. One there were those in that day that believed they didn't sin. If we back up a verse I believe it says "if we say we have no sin we deceive our self's and the truth is not in us." So knowing just who He (sweet spirit of God) was talking to helps. I am not here to tell you what His word "really" says. For me with kids they will always be mine nothing they can do will change that. There are kids out side my home that are not mine. But my kids I love them they love me yet they can still hurt me which does not change my love or them being my children. Not a good example. If I didn't repent I will still go to heaven. There are many that will just make it in yet no reward.

For me if I sin it puts something between me and my Father and it opens a door to the enemy to come in to my life and those around me. It gives him rights. Same with Adam and Eve. That one sin handed over all the Father gave us. in this fallen world there is still a price if we sin. With our Father that sin the price for it has been paid. If I lie cheat steal do harm confess it mean it.. He will always forgive cleans me from all unrighteousness. Yet in this world I will pay for that lying cheating stealing and doing harm.

So much here is meat.. I read willingly sin. Another one of those that really hits hard on those weak in the faith. We all through out our life willingly sin haha no one makes us sin. There are times we are tempted. Its knowing Christ paid the price you reject it and now willingly sin. There remains no sacrifice for that. Without Christ.. there ya go. For me just those coming out of the great tribulation the number in heaven no one can number.. YES AMEN! Most will be saved since for me its as Christ said "if you were blind you would have no sin you say you see your sin remains. Like people all over Christian forums will tell you how wrong false grace teachers are or Word of Faith are yet what they personally believe is the real Gospel. Your the one that is blind.. praise God. Me? If am wrong Father Change me 1st.. help me to see where I am missing it and if wrong as so many Word of Faith teachers and Baptist and some (few) Catholics and haha some (few) grace teachers said "if I miss it tell me I will repent and get it right".

So 1st John...it is just that. If I sin.. I will confess it and He will forgive me and cleans me from all unrighteousness'. I have no right to freely sin even though He already died for ever sin I will ever do. I am free.. I can do all things yet not all are profitable
What In your words🙂 would be the difference between repenting and confessing?

and If a Christian sins and they don't confess their sin will they lose there positional salvation?

Or will the continued sanctification process after they are positionally saved hamper their daily walk but they will still be saved?

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
If you don't continue to confess after you have repented will you lose your salvation?
A Big Fat No -----you cannot loose your Salvation ------but God expects you to Sin less and less as you mature and set your mind on His Word trusting it and believing it ----and putting your faith into the right action to cast down evil thoughts ------

When you feel like telling a lie for instance ------set your mind on God's word which says ---He hates liars and cast out the thought to lie -----when you tell the truth you are set free from having the fear from getting Caught in your lie -------also when you sin it grieves the Holy Spirit and therefore if you truly LOVE ___AGAPE ----God you will not want to grieve the Holy Spirit and will do your best to stay out of all sin -------

When we lie we have to always have a good memory all the time so you always remember what lie you told to what person -----mush stress involved in that -------

1676237776572.jpeg

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
A Big Fat No -----you cannot loose your Salvation ------but God expects you to Sin less and less as you mature and set your mind on His Word trusting it and believing it ----and putting your faith into the right action to cast down evil thoughts ------
I don't think we can tell God that we confessed our sins yesterday and was forgiven so that is done and over. Do you really think you can tell the Lord you love your sin, now you don't have to ever confess sin and ask forgiveness, you completed that already, don't need to do it ever again it is done.

A main message that Christ brought was to repent. Christ didn't mean to repent one time but to live your life always as a person who repents of sin and wants to be forgiven even of sin they are not aware of.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Some seem to think they cannot lose their salvation. TY for sharing that. In the OT it says ones name can be removed from Gods book of life. Exodus 32:33)-- So once saved always saved is not a true teaching.
Is anyone actually saved yet is the question ?

Or is salvstion a promise ahead of us if we don’t turn away from Jesus ?

and scripture maybe is speaking from faith calling us to salvation speaking forth of what will be ?

“so Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭9:28‬ ‭KJV‬‬

What is man to be saved from ?

Feb 5, 2023

Or is salvstion a promise ahead of us if we don’t turn away from Jesus ?

and scripture maybe is speaking from faith calling us to salvation speaking forth of what will be ?

“so Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭9:28‬ ‭KJV‬‬

According to Jesus-One must endure until their end to be saved. But if one lives righteous now, they are in a saved position, but they must do it until their end. Matt 10:22- otherwise that position is removed from them.
Saved from Death( eternal), Deuteronomy 30:19 is what God set before all mankind.

Feb 5, 2023
It would be interesting to do a poll: Do Christians sin?
No poll needed-1John 8-- If we make the statement-we have no sin we are misleading ourselves and truth is not in us.
Its the practice of sin that is condemned.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
According to Jesus-One must endure until their end to be saved. But if one lives righteous now, they are in a saved position, but they must do it until their end. Matt 10:22- otherwise that position is removed from them.
Saved from Death( eternal), Deuteronomy 30:19 is what God set before all mankind.
“Saved from Death( eternal),”

(Amen to this the second eternal death )

and why do men die ?

“Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭5:12‬ ‭

So sin and its consequence which is death.

to believe is to hear and believe Jesus promise in the gospel of salvation

so order to be saved from sin and death we have to repent and cease willfully partaking of it. Which means we have to stop denying repentance is necessary

it’s not that your saved and then removed from salvation but it’s that you continue in the gospel it’s a process of coming to the gospel

It’s quite different from Moses law or any list of rules one follows it’s found here in following this type of thing taught by the lord many people focused on sin miss it completely

“But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.

And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also. Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.

And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.

But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall be given into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭6:27-31, 35-38‬ ‭

If I steal from you it’s sin , but not stealing from you doesn’t make me righteous. Loving other people makes us right in action and truth The things Jesus taught in the gospel is where we find his righteousness and our eternal judgement resulting in salvation from sin and death

“For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭1:16-17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Jesus teachkngs are about righteousness I’ve found often people think if they don’t lie and steal and cheat that makes then righteous but it is to learn and start following Jesus word his teachings that reveals righteousness loving even those who set themselves against us

The gospel is far beyond “ thou shalt not do this and that “ it’s about hearing what we are supposed to do ( righteousness ) not what we aren’t supposed to do ( sin )

a short study of Jesus sermons and lessons has a certain way of humbling us and realizing to us that we still also have growing to do and still need mercy every day

We find a life long commitment to keep following after Jesus even when we fail we confess and stand back up and continue

Jan 27, 2023
1 John 1:9

King James Version

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
+++

I believe this scripture Is talking about salvation and not continuously asking for forgiveness.
The answer is yes and no, the word sins is multiple not singular, Christ died while we yet sinners, but there is a sin unto death and that is when you know the fullness of God and then turn your back. which also blasphemes the Holy Spirit. Paul was a blasphemer and yet did and had an incredible testimony and witness for Christ. so if thats the case for Paul then when he wrote and said i do the things i dont wont to, then that would be a transgression, the bible clearly says that the books have in them every word we have said in vain and things we have done and be judged for them. the key is we are baptized in water for the remission of sins which means they can come back just like cancer, Jesus said go and sin no more lest something worse will come. Paul said call the elders and anoint with oil and the sins will be forgiven and they will be healed. so the key is to keep short accounts and touch the heart of Jesus every time we sin because He Took it all upon the cross; only for those that love Him will be rewarded, john 3:18. sin is an archery term meaning missing the mark. transgression is not doing the law and iniquity is being unequal in righteousness or selfishness. Jesus chose you before the foundations of the world , do you not think he knew exactly what we were like and what we were going to do? Revelations said we overcome by the Blood of Jesus and the word of our testimony and love not out lives till death. did you know he left his blood on the earth? Ables blood cried out to God and Jesus blood did the same and is still covering all sins the rain falls on the just and unjust, mercy abounds for past, present and future sins until Jesus returns with a rod or iron. God is timeless. David is a perfect example of touching Gods heart after sin has entered.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
Thanks for asking:

Rom 6:23 "For the wages of sin is [ETERNAL] death..." (Rev 20:11-15)
According to Jesus-One must endure until their end to be saved.
The Jews who "endure to the end" of the future Great tribulation will be "delivered alive"
Thanks for asking:

Eph 2:8 "For by Grace are ye Saved through faith..." Yes, Past tense.

See differences in God's ETERNAL 'Relationship ' He "Stablishes With us"
and our life-long fellowship With Him, before ETERNAL glorification...
-=-=-=--=-=- present tense -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Future Tense

...here: God's Simple Will

Is it ETERNAL Life? Yes, Confirmed By 144 Plain and Clear Passages!:

God's OPERATION On all HIS New-born babes In Christ
+
God's Eternal Assurance

Precious friend(s):

Grace, Peace, And JOY In Christ, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided
(+ I and II)!

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Thanks for asking:

The Jews who "endure to the end" of the future Great tribulation will be "delivered alive"

Thanks for asking:

+
God's Eternal Assurance

Precious friend(s):

Divided
(+ I and II)!

Anyone interested this is a good example of how people interpret away everything that’s there by “ dividing the word of truth “ creating alternate ideas and labeling it the gospel

Feb 5, 2023
“Saved from Death( eternal),”

(Amen to this the second eternal death )

and why do men die ?

“Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭5:12‬ ‭

So sin and its consequence which is death.

to believe is to hear and believe Jesus promise in the gospel of salvation

so order to be saved from sin and death we have to repent and cease willfully partaking of it. Which means we have to stop denying repentance is necessary

it’s not that your saved and then removed from salvation but it’s that you continue in the gospel it’s a process of coming to the gospel

It’s quite different from Moses law or any list of rules one follows it’s found here in following this type of thing taught by the lord many people focused on sin miss it completely

“But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.

And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also. Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.

And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.

But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall be given into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭6:27-31, 35-38‬ ‭

If I steal from you it’s sin , but not stealing from you doesn’t make me righteous. Loving other people makes us right in action and truth The things Jesus taught in the gospel is where we find his righteousness and our eternal judgement resulting in salvation from sin and death

“For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭1:16-17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Jesus teachkngs are about righteousness I’ve found often people think if they don’t lie and steal and cheat that makes then righteous but it is to learn and start following Jesus word his teachings that reveals righteousness loving even those who set themselves against us

The gospel is far beyond “ thou shalt not do this and that “ it’s about hearing what we are supposed to do ( righteousness ) not what we aren’t supposed to do ( sin )

a short study of Jesus sermons and lessons has a certain way of humbling us and realizing to us that we still also have growing to do and still need mercy every day

We find a life long commitment to keep following after Jesus even when we fail we confess and stand back up and continue
Its about both sides. One must learn what to do and what not to do. Jesus was clear at Matt 7:21-23--Only those living now to do his Fathers will get to enter his kingdom( be saved)--And Jesus summed up his Fathers will in a single teaching--Man does not live by bread alone, but by EVERY utterance from God.= OT-NT 1540 pages give or take of his Fathers utterances. Takes years of study and i believe it never stops, because being in an imperfect state, things are forgotten over time.
And Jesus went on to say to those who think they are his in verse 22-23( judgement) - Get away from me you who work iniquity(practice a sin) i must confess, i never even knew you. So one must learn what God dislikes as well so as not to displease him-that is the fear of God, not in a remorseful way, but fear of displeasing him. One cannot be righteous in Gods view if they practice a sin.

Feb 5, 2023
Thanks for asking:

Thanks for asking:

+
God's Eternal Assurance

Precious friend(s):

Divided
(+ I and II)!
Yu are mistaken-Literal Israelite religion is cut off-Matt 23:38-39. They have outright refused to do verse 39 for over 1950 years, they never will. Spiritual Israel is now Gods chosen, they come from all nations, people, tribes and tongues Rev 7:9)
Only those living to do Jesus' Fathers will=Every utterance from God will get grace-Matt 7:21-

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
I don't think we can tell God that we confessed our sins yesterday and was forgiven so that is done and over. Do you really think you can tell the Lord you love your sin, now you don't have to ever confess sin and ask forgiveness, you completed that already, don't need to do it ever again it is done.

A main message that Christ brought was to repent. Christ didn't mean to repent one time but to live your life always as a person who repents of sin and wants to be forgiven even of sin they are not aware of.
Our sins we all forgiven on the cross. Confession is made to restore us into fellowship.