Oh I dunno... I wouldn't call it evil.
See I do the same thing. I like to give people something they are not expecting. I'll say a cheerful "Good morning!" at 5pm, just to make people double-take.
One time I came home from w*rk and my father was standing in the kitchen. Dad lives up in Kentucky. So quickly does the human brain work that by the time I had walked into the kitchen I had already noted the following facts and made the following surmise:
- Dad has come to visit
- He parked his truck somewhere else because it was not in the driveway
- He did not tell me he was coming
- He wanted to surprise me
- Doggone if I'm going to act surprised
So I acted like it was the most commonplace thing to see him there, and said "Hey dad" in a distracted manner.
I have found a good face to put on it though. You can use this excuse if you want. See, experts say that if you use your brain more then (if you get it) Alzheimer's syndrome will take longer to affect you. Those experts also say that the brain automates the familiar whenever it can, in an effort to streamline life. So if I give people something they don't expect, I am actively counteracting the Alzheimer's they might get when they are old.
Yup. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I'm an anti-Alzheimer's agent.