Does Christ look at our beliefs or our actions?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
Sooner or later an OP will come out about the law. We have all transgressed God’s moral law. If Jesus was not offered as a propitiation before the Father, this entire discussion would be moot and we would all be on the fast track to hell.

When a person grows in sanctification, there is the desire to obey the 10 commandments to honor God. Does that mean we have more favor with God? I would say yes and no. Yes because we are being molded into what Christ is like, and no because we have already broken His laws and nothing we do on our own will make us acceptable.

This is simply my understanding of things. If I am incorrect, I know the Lord will show me my error. Bottom line is, if we do something that feels wrong(Strong conviction) don’t do it.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
I answered your question, but I repeat my answer. When I am given a commandment by the Lord it helps me by telling me what the Lord wants me to do or not do. The commandments are also written in my heart.
ah ok

So you do not know murder is a sin? and you have to continually read and study the command to know murder is a sin?

let me ask you. How does that help you? why are you focused on that. and not on God?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
What do you think about the 119th Psalm?
The 119th Psalm is really about all Scripture. It is called "the Law of the LORD". Right at the beginning it covers His testimonies, His ways, His precepts, His statutes, His commandments, and His righteous judgments. Therefore David says this: Thy Word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. (v 11). This corresponds to 2 Timothy 3:16,17. This Psalm was written by divine inspiration, and it is also the Word of God.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
ah ok

So you do not know murder is a sin? and you have to continually read and study the command to know murder is a sin?

let me ask you. How does that help you? why are you focused on that. and not on God?
Here we are not speaking of scripture but of judging people! Will this ever stop?

As a human being, I have a brain given to me by God, and that brain can retain information. One of its characteristics is that it does not trow out anything, even when memory misplaces it for awhile. My brain is a human brain.

Do not murder as Christ tells us murder is in God's eyes is a foundation command. Christ said don't even call people fools. Imagine how wonderful our world would be if people did not murder. People could disagree and still not murder. Politics would be about government, no murder of each other. Families would heal, disagreements would not separate them. This site would change to discuss scripture without murder.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
Here we are not speaking of scripture but of judging people! Will this ever stop?
How is me asking you how a command helps you judging you?

As a human being, I have a brain given to me by God, and that brain can retain information. One of its characteristics is that it does not trow out anything, even when memory misplaces it for awhile. My brain is a human brain.

Do not murder as Christ tells us murder is in God's eyes is a foundation command. Christ said don't even call people fools. Imagine how wonderful our world would be if people did not murder. People could disagree and still not murder. Politics would be about government, no murder of each other. Families would heal, disagreements would not separate them. This site would change to discuss scripture without murder.
You almost his the point here calling people fools. DO you realize I can call you a fool or stupid and its not against the law. I have not broken one of the ten commands. I am still innocent. why? Because I DID NOT COMMIT MURDER.

Thats WHY jesus spent a Whole sermon trying to tell people. the law says this, BUT I TELL YOU.

The law was given to prove we are sinners. Not to show us HOW TO LIVE.

If I LOVE someone more than myself (even my enemy) I will not call him a fool. I will not call him stupid. I will not look at him with hate or jealousy. hence the temptation to even murder that person will not come into question. because it will never happen.

Not because I obey Gods command, or followed the law of Moses.

But because I did what we are directed to do. LOVE, we love because he loved us first.

The law can not stop you from murdering someone once you get to that point. It may prevent it for a time. or allow you to calm down under your own power. but it has no power to stop you. if anything, it will keep the thought in your mind. because your mind is telling you to murder and the law is telling you no.

You do not remember that as a child growing up?

the power Love can. and will even prevent the temptation from occurring.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
You almost his the point here calling people fools. DO you realize I can call you a fool or stupid and its not against the law. I have not broken one of the ten commands. I am still innocent. why? Because I DID NOT COMMIT MURDER. .
You would not under the old covenant, but we are under the new covenant. Christ fulfilled the law, see Matt. 5:17-26,

Mat 5: 22 You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults[b] his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
You would not under the old covenant, but we are under the new covenant. Christ fulfilled the law, see Matt. 5:17-26,

Mat 5: 22 You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’
This is according to the law. The same law you keep telling myself and others we need to look at for Guidance

22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.
This is Jesus telling the lawyers who were pushing people to obey the law and showing how good they were at keeping the law that the law was not sufficient of telling people every possible sin.

There is no possible way one can look at the ten commands and come to this conclusion, because it is not there.

Thats why a christian who is trying to follow the law is looking outside what he should be doing. we need to look deeper than the law.

The law can expose sin, but it can not tell you every possible sin. Those looking to the law. like the pharisees. thought they were more righteous then they were. because they "never committed murder" in their view. so they never broke the law. or more importantly. They kept the law.

even those by Jesus words here, They were still in sin, they just could not see it. because they looked to the letter. which was given ONLY to lead them to Christ.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
This is according to the law. The same law you keep telling myself and others we need to look at for Guidance

This is Jesus telling the lawyers who were pushing people to obey the law and showing how good they were at keeping the law that the law was not sufficient of telling people every possible sin.

There is no possible way one can look at the ten commands and come to this conclusion, because it is not there.

Thats why a christian who is trying to follow the law is looking outside what he should be doing. we need to look deeper than the law.

The law can expose sin, but it can not tell you every possible sin. Those looking to the law. like the pharisees. thought they were more righteous then they were. because they "never committed murder" in their view. so they never broke the law. or more importantly. They kept the law.

even those by Jesus words here, They were still in sin, they just could not see it. because they looked to the letter. which was given ONLY to lead them to Christ.
The Pharisees looked to their own rules, they wouldn't look to God. Scripture describes what God is like, we are to look to that. You say you look deeper than that. So if there is something more than scripture to look for please explain. Or do you recommend going your own way?

We have already discussed that the letter of the law doesn't work, it is the spirit of the law that does. Scripture tells us what that is and the holy spirit within us confirms it when we decide to let Christ guide us. Are you saying that Christ is not in scripture, but only within your own self, so we are not to listen to what scripture tells us about the law?

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
The Pharisees looked to their own rules, they wouldn't look to God. Scripture describes what God is like, we are to look to that. You say you look deeper than that. So if there is something more than scripture to look for please explain. Or do you recommend going your own way?

We have already discussed that the letter of the law doesn't work, it is the spirit of the law that does. Scripture tells us what that is and the holy spirit within us confirms it when we decide to let Christ guide us. Are you saying that Christ is not in scripture, but only within your own self, so we are not to listen to what scripture tells us about the law?
The spirit of the law is not the ten commandments. the ten commands are the letter.

They are also called the ministers of death engraven in stone.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
What do you mean by "Does Christ look at our belief's?

Dec 9, 2011
Actions have to do with law, and most posters either object to law postings, or avoid them. How do you think the Lord wants us to consider his law? There are scripture saying it is given because of sin, that it is not to be used for salvation, that Christ changed it and made it new, and the law of Moses is dead.

There is a beautiful psalm saying we are blessed by the law, a God inspired psalm, yet I have read posts saying we are cursed by the law. We are under grace, gifted with a gift of righteousness or obedience to the law through Christ. I have read posts saying we must not listen to the law because we are not under it for salvation.

Obedience has to refer to the law, for the law defines what is and isn’t obedience. There is scripture saying that if we love the Lord, we will obey him. We are even told our salvation depends on our believing in Christ, and to believe Christ we must believe in obedience for Christ was the only human who was obedient.

If Christ gave us the knowledge of our creator and how he works for us, does that include how we are to live our lives as belonging to Him and under his instructions, must we act on this or is believing it enough?

Following Christ's instructions is tough. Just not following our instincts to fight for our rights but do good for our enemies is a tough one. Judging only righteously is another tough one. I could let myself go on quite a trip of calling people fools, Christ says not to do that. Christ is tough to follow.
Some say that the thief on the cross believing In JESUS was work.

Dec 9, 2011
If JESUS were to come walking around the corner and a paper scroll with the words the 10 commandments were to fall onto the ground some would run up and grab the Ten Commandments rather than first run up and hug JESUS.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
What do you think about the 119th Psalm? It disputes much of your scripture interpretation. If that psalm is not correct we would have to question all psalms, even the wonderful 23rd.

Paul tells us to keep the law as in Rom_3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law. How do you reconcile these scriptures with your interpretation of scripture?
The psalms are about Jesus and the gospel his actual law of the spirit of life

Hearken unto me, my people; and give ear unto me, O my nation: for a law shall proceed from me, and I will make my judgment to rest for a light of the people. My righteousness is near; my salvation is gone forth, and mine arms shall judge the people; the isles shall wait upon me, and on mine arm shall they trust.
Isaiah 51:4‭-‬5
We have a law but it isn't Moses law it's Christ's

He isn't talking about a law that already exists but is promising his law will come from him and give light

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
The spirit of the law is not the ten commandments. the ten commands are the letter.

They are also called the ministers of death engraven in stone.
So you believe in a God who would write to you in stone to be ministers of death? The God I am told of is love and everything God does is out of love for his people. The spirit of the law as explained by Christ contained the law in stone. he command not to murder in the spirit of the law contains the law not to murder by the letter of the law.
You are not reading the entire verse in Galatians 3. It also tells us the ten commandments were so glorious that Moses face shined with glory.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
So you believe in a God who would write to you in stone to be ministers of death? The God I am told of is love and everything God does is out of love for his people. The spirit of the law as explained by Christ contained the law in stone. he command not to murder in the spirit of the law contains the law not to murder by the letter of the law.
You are not reading the entire verse in Galatians 3. It also tells us the ten commandments were so glorious that Moses face shined with glory.
Gave gave me the ministers of death engraved stone so I would not be proud. And think I am good enough that God would let me into heaven. That I could see my sinfulness, and see that even breaking one command makes me worthy of Hell. And i have many sins

You do not understand the law at all that is obvious

Sadly. The engraved tablets I fear have not led you to christ.

May 22, 2020
Both. Two sides of the same coin.
Oh no.
Christ knows what is in our heart. He knows we are not perfect. If we sin and ask for forgiveness God forgives in Jesus name.
Thank God.

Dec 29, 2021
What do you mean by "Does Christ look at our belief's?
Let's use the term Predestination. Some will debate that God purposefully created two types of humans, one for Glory, and another for the Lake of Eternal Fire. And Others will claim, since the Gospel is to be preached to Every Nation, and John 3:16 states ...that Whosoever Believes (anyone after Hearing and given the Faith to Believe), that Predestination is meant for All Mankind and this is where Free Will happens whether one after Hearing the Gospel and given the Faith to Believe can choose for them self.

So on one hand, we have some turning Predestination into God being a God of Genocide like Hitler. And on the other hand, we have others turning predestination into God's Ultimate Goal was having All Mankind Saved but Free Will dictates where man ends up at.

I wonder what God thinks that some think He is a God who created people specifically for Eternal Damnation? That would make Him a very unjust God and not very Loving at all.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
. And think I am good enough that God would let me into heaven. .
You are gravely mistaken. God looks at your faith and belief in Him as God determines if you should be in heaven. You can never be so sin free by your own efforts that you are allowed in. You are a human born in sin. Christ can cleanse you, it is impossible for you to do the work of being good enough without Him.

Your work at being "good enough" is only as a result to God within you. God can't live with sin we don't repent of but want to keep the sin.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
You are gravely mistaken. God looks at your faith and belief in Him as God determines if you should be in heaven.
God has determined if you should be in heaven or not. He even gave you the standard by which you can determine if you should be in heaven or not. Its called the law. The same thing you keep trying to tell me and others we should follow. The ministry of death written in stone. The same law where Moses declared you must obey every word. or you are under a curse. the law durses all makind to hell. No one. Not you, Not me, Not anyone else in this room, in this thread, in this world deserves to go to heaven. For ALL have sinned and fall short (miss the mark) of the glory of God.

That is why we require grace. Grace is unmerited favor. It is something given out of Charity. It was paid for by the giver. the price was the cross

The law was given to take you there. so you KNOW you do not deserve to get to heaven, To KNOW you are cursed. and to KNOW there is only one way, to recieve the gift of salvation.

You can never be so sin free by your own efforts that you are allowed in. You are a human born in sin. Christ can cleanse you, it is impossible for you to do the work of being good enough without Him.

Your work at being "good enough" is only as a result to God within you. God can't live with sin we don't repent of but want to keep the sin.
If you think you can be "good enough" the law has not taught you anything sister. You will never be "good enough"

You need to let the law due what it was intended to do. and stop looking at it as if you can keep it.. It was purposely made so you would fail. Otherwise you would not see your need for Christ.

Thats what Paul said..

19 What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator. 2