Does everyone drive?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

TheIndianGirl

Do you or someone you know doesn't drive? What do you think about people who don't drive? Any thoughts on driving?

I live in the city and don't drive (I have a license and I have driven some time ago). I actually don't mind walking and taking public transport. I like the 2.5 mile walk from my church to my apartment on a nice day. There are some eateries and Barnes and Noble, and a few other shops along the way. But, I'm planning to move away from public transportation and start driving. My mom doesn't drive either and she takes the bus to work, and sometimes Uber/Lyft. She's always wanted to drive, but my dad didn't teach her when they moved to this country and time just passed. I know she doesn't love riding the bus, which is about 5 minutes walk away, but she likes the relaxing aspect of it and sometimes talking to other passengers. Where she lives isn't as pedestrian friendly as mine.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I have been a licensed driver for 50 years. It is a lot more expensive that relying on public transportation but well worth the expense of getting to where you want to be and when you want to be there. The roads in Florida are certainly not pedestrian friendly but rather are dangerous - too many cars coming from too many directions and too many lanes to try to cross. Florida leads the nation in pedestrian deaths.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
I grew up on a farm so I've been driving as long as I can remember. My first driving lesson that I remember was steering the tractor down the rows of peanuts. I had to slide all the way off the seat to reach the pedals. I was driving automobiles before I was ten. Most of my friends were doing the same. Every teenage boy and most teenage girls had their license at 16.

Many older women didn't drive in the forties, fifties and into the sixties.

All my children and most of my grandchildren have their license. I have a 26 year old granddaughter who can drive, but is afraid to get out on the road or take the drivers test. Until her boyfriend stops taking her to and from work, I don't think that she will even try.

There isn't any public transportation here. So it's drive, hitchhike, or walk.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
in germany...its a pain if you dont have a license. im working on it. looking at my old work...per car it wouldve been 1 hr one way..so all in all 2. me taking bus and train tooke me 2 and a half hr one way..so 5 hrs just to get to work and back. a license is more important here than a degree lol
you can bet that i will be driving as soon as i can

Encouragement

Aug 25, 2020
Do you or someone you know doesn't drive? What do you think about people who don't drive? Any thoughts on driving?

I live in the city and don't drive (I have a license and I have driven some time ago). I actually don't mind walking and taking public transport. I like the 2.5 mile walk from my church to my apartment on a nice day. There are some eateries and Barnes and Noble, and a few other shops along the way. But, I'm planning to move away from public transportation and start driving. My mom doesn't drive either and she takes the bus to work, and sometimes Uber/Lyft. She's always wanted to drive, but my dad didn't teach her when they moved to this country and time just passed. I know she doesn't love riding the bus, which is about 5 minutes walk away, but she likes the relaxing aspect of it and sometimes talking to other passengers. Where she lives isn't as pedestrian friendly as mine.
I think it is a very practical thing to take up driving especially due to the situation with Covid-19..As public transport it's own issues..yet getting out and about occassionally where appropriate just to get fresh air would be good to do.I drive and it does make things much easier to get out and about although as you know There is a financial commitment from owning a car.tax,insurance,repairs ect..and finding a good mechanic is also good to have.
So yes go for it in regards to having a car and you don't have to completely give up going on foot sometimes..in the winter months a car is great to have too.

Encouragement

Aug 25, 2020

I think it is a very practical thing to take up driving especially due to the situation with Covid-19..As public transport it's own issues..yet getting out and aboutb

T

TheIndianGirl

I have been a licensed driver for 50 years. It is a lot more expensive that relying on public transportation but well worth the expense of getting to where you want to be and when you want to be there. The roads in Florida are certainly not pedestrian friendly but rather are dangerous - too many cars coming from too many directions and too many lanes to try to cross. Florida leads the nation in pedestrian deaths.
The expense is one thing that's holding me back from getting a car. I would have to pay a monthly fee for a parking spot at my building which is about $120/month if I want to stay in the city, plus there are other parking fees. It would be at least several hundred dollars a month when I don't really need a car, assuming my car is fully paid. I would probably only drive during the weekend since I take public transportation to work.

I agree now is not a good time to use public transport. Daily parking near my work is about $20 or $25/day so it is not practical to drive to work, plus lots of traffic.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
Several places I've lived did not have access to good public transportation. When I started working after university, it was either 1 hour 40 minutes on public transportation, including a transfer at a sketchy bus stop or a 20-25 minute drive. I started with the bus but after having someone expose themselves, a drunk trying to get too friendly and a very vocal woman yell the bus down trying to convert me (No she didn't ask what I believed. I think she just assumed the fatigue of working a graveyard shift must have been a life of heavy sin, lol), I decided that being safely inside my own car made sense. When I would be in Istanbul you couldn't have paid me to drive. I also didn't need to as the bus system and street trains took me wherever I needed to go. The rest was easy to walk. I could walk a short distance from my flat to a market to get fresh veggies and olive oil that was sold by the farmer who grew the olives. A car would have been silly.
It all depends on your needs. It is always a good idea to have the skill but your decision as to what works best for your needs and the environment.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
The expense is one thing that's holding me back from getting a car. I would have to pay a monthly fee for a parking spot at my building which is about $120/month if I want to stay in the city, plus there are other parking fees. It would be at least several hundred dollars a month when I don't really need a car, assuming my car is fully paid. I would probably only drive during the weekend since I take public transportation to work.

I agree now is not a good time to use public transport. Daily parking near my work is about $20 or $25/day so it is not practical to drive to work, plus lots of traffic.
Yeah, living in Florida I get that lots of traffic part. Seems like where you live a huge part of your pay would go just for parking, let alone the gas, insurance and maintenance.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
it's a 20 minute drive from my house just to get to a grocery store. it would take me hours to walk to the nearest bus stop.

it's a lot different to live in a city than it is to live in the country, or even a small or medium city or town. America is a big land, and public transportation is really only a 'thing' in major metropolitan areas - i've never lived in one and really would like never to have to. i don't think ill of people who do, and if someone does, it can make a lot of sense not to drive at all; it's just not for me.

up

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
sometimes i... Drive, myself, crazy😊

T

TheIndianGirl

it's a 20 minute drive from my house just to get to a grocery store. it would take me hours to walk to the nearest bus stop.

it's a lot different to live in a city than it is to live in the country, or even a small or medium city or town. America is a big land, and public transportation is really only a 'thing' in major metropolitan areas - i've never lived in one and really would like never to have to. i don't think ill of people who do, and if someone does, it can make a lot of sense not to drive at all; it's just not for me.
Driving on a country road seems relaxing. However driving/commuting into the city, finding parking is not fun; it is more relaxing to take public transport.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Im a driver myself and have my own car. But I walk to places when I can. Its handy during winter season though as rains a lot and I need to carry things.
My mum doesnt drive and I know several people that dont, they either walk or rely on public transport or others.
I think where I live the public transport isnt that great which is why more people drive, but then of course it has downsides ..traffic, finding parks etc.

Those that dont have various reasons, it suits them, though I know some people are afraid of driving, it can be a bit stressful and also being in a car with a driver who is stressed out is not a good experience!

Just recently our harbour bridge was closed thanks to a truck that got blown into a girder so all the people living on the shore who had to get into the CBD had to take a different route that would take twice as long. Im quite glad I have no reason to go into CBD where I am. if you live within walking distance or good bike routes to amenities you can reasonably live without a car, though the suburbs where always designed with cars in mind, which is rather annoying if you dont have one.

I would say if you work for a company that relies on you getting around it is reasonable to request a company car or them to pay for mileage, or carpool system for getting to work or a discount on public transport to get there everyday. I think its horrendous that some organisations make their workers pay for parking, sometimes its just the managers who get the free park.

Mak33

Nov 12, 2019
There are pros and cons depending on where you live, but it is practical to learn how to drive, I live in Singapore for 10 years and the public transportation are the best, literally 5 min walk from my house to the bus stop and 5min walk to and from work. (Not in everyones case, I chose the location of my house and my work place so I can have that luxury of sleeping more) Cars are expensive there so that's one, and so is the cost of living but the trains and buses are very safe, accessible, comfortable and affordable, considering also the city itself is very small, you can roam around the town aimlessly in a day, compared to other countries which would take a very long drive to reach a certain destinations, like in Philippines where I am from, it's very different, people on the road can be very crazy, walking or driving...

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
i drive and have my own car. with the Lord's help, we managed to finish paying for my car this year!

my mom doesn't drive, but my dad does. my brother and his family live next door to my parents, so for this year, they did my parents' errands due to current events.

Feb 28, 2016
some 'drive', and some are 'driven' = we do drive, but prefer to be driven!!!
please, don't let our answer 'drive you nuts'...
:):)