Does God forgive suicide?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 29, 2020
Does God forgive Christians who commit suicide?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Given that God created our emotions and our minds, He understands perfectly the unique set of circumstances that leads to each suicide. He sent His Son to die and thereby pay the just penalty for our sin... all of it... before any of it occurred. Therefore I believe that His blood also covers the self-murder by a troubled Christian.

That said, are you asking for general knowledge, or because you or someone you know is contemplating suicide? If the latter, please tell someone locally who can connect you with a Suicide Prevention-trained counselor.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
There is only one unforgivable sin. It is not suicide.

Still, I would not recommend it.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
I wouldn't want to test that one! In the Lord's parable of the different kinds of soil that the seed falls on, He mentioned the seed that falls on rocky ground which represents those who joyfully receive the word, but because they have no root, when trials and persecutions come, they quickly fall away. That said, committing suicide would basically be for the purpose of getting out from under whatever trials that one may be going through. As believers we are to take up our crosses daily, which means we are to keep our faith in Christ regardless of what God allows to happen in our lives, whether financially or physically or otherwise, even unto death.

It's not something that anyone should test! Because after committing suicide, if it results in going down into Hades, there are no do overs.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
If they believe Jesus and trust in the Atonement He secured for them on the cross then i believe they will be forgiven.. As already mentioned by Magenta.. Jesus said that there is only one sin that is unforgivable and that being blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.. And suicide is not that sin..

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
www.101christiansocialnetwork.com
you could ask Judas ...

I would have to say "no"

You are entitled to your view of course :)

But I would have thought the fact that Judas didn't go to God for forgiveness, and instead went off to atone for his own sin by taking his life out of guilt, was his problem. Not the fact that he was so depressed or hurt that he just couldn't face another day.

Jesus comes to heal the broken hearted, he will not crush a bruised reed nor blow out a smouldering wick.

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk

But I would have thought the fact that Judas didn't go to God for forgiveness, and instead went off to atone for his own sin by taking his life out of guilt, was his problem. Not the fact that he was so depressed or hurt that he just couldn't face another day. Peter also betrayed Christ, but when he saw Him, he ran to Him... different story.

Jesus comes to heal the broken hearted, he will not crush a bruised reed nor blow out a smouldering wick.

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
If a murderer can be forgiven, then how can a person who takes their own life not be? But I know full well it isn't Gods will and it isn't our right to take our life.

To be in such a mindset is awful, and god understands what drives people to do what they do, but I can't see how we win by deliberately ending a life that God can work for good, our good and the good of others, to Rob others of our comfort and to deny them our time and our service, and any chance we have of helping or loving or showing them the gospel, while we given this life by God, really is a bad idea.

Those who suffer the most often are used the most, for the God who comforts us in our sufferings is well able to use our experiences to change the lives of others we can relate to, who need us the most.

If you or anyone you know are in this mindset, please tell them, or remind yourself, every storm has an eye, and for us that eye is Jesus, we can hide ourselves in Him until it passes, and every fall we take, however long it feels, we will only land in the gentle arms of our saviour if we cry out to Him for help.

If a believer looks at themselves and doesn't see the need to die to self, they have not seen themselves in the light of truth, but if a believer looks at themselves through the heart of God, they cannot fail to be encouraged and uplifted, for his love is so beautiful it covers every ounce of our ugly failed humanity, and it rejoices over us with singing too. He sees only beauty and He sees only good, for He sees us through the blood of Christ and He sees the perfect and whole image of Christ formed in us, for He sees the beginning from the end. And He sees that it is good.

Nov 15, 2020
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

But I would have thought the fact that Judas didn't go to God for forgiveness, and instead went off to atone for his own sin by taking his life out of guilt, was his problem. Not the fact that he was so depressed or hurt that he just couldn't face another day.

that's why I mentioned his name.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

Jesus called Judas a son of perdition, meaning he was doomed to destruction.

Jesus also said Judas was a devil, and unclean. He was never saved to begin with...

Oct 19, 2020
I would wonder if the person contemplating suicide ever knew the [real Love] of God to be claiming a Believer. If you truly experience the Love of God, you will be like minded as Job. He survived losing everything, being covered in seeping scabs and open wounds, encouraged to curse God and die to be rid of his suffering. But Job refused those thoughts/temptations and remained [Faithful} to God and experienced God's love in later "Blessings."

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
A Christian is sealed by the Holy Spirit unto the day of redemption Eph 4.30 He can not change the status of his salvation. He has already spiritually been resurrected . Eph 2.6 . When He first believed he was regenerated through the new birth. Physical death does not undo this. I think this is a question that arises because how we are saved is not understood properly .If its not this question ,its " what if a believer becomes a satanist or serial killer. Or another equally emotionally charged question . Catholicism has a lot to answer for in this false teaching of 'conditional salvation ' .That and other cults.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I guess up to God who knows each one.
some people kill themselves by accident.

Both Job and Jonah and even Elijah were suicidal (had suicial thoughts) but they didnt end up killing themselves that I know of.
Saul apparently did comit suicide, he fell on his sword.

I do know of people that have the mindset that if they kill themselves they will get to God sooner, But they are mentally ill and not really thinking straight.

Oct 19, 2020
A Christian is sealed by the Holy Spirit unto the day of redemption Eph 4.30 He can not change the status of his salvation. He has already spiritually been resurrected . Eph 2.6 . When He first believed he was regenerated through the new birth. Physical death does not undo this. I think this is a question that arises because how we are saved is not understood properly .If its not this question ,its " what if a believer becomes a satanist or serial killer. Or another equally emotionally charged question . Catholicism has a lot to answer for in this false teaching of 'conditional salvation ' .That and other cults.

If life was not valuable, God would not die for it. Believer or not, Grace only goes so far. God provides every avenue to seek Him and be completed. But sins of man like Depression and Anxiety become demonic to the victims. Only God knows the [true] state of mind. Life is [Precious] to God. But also, not utilizing the [faith] given unto us by God to trust in God for His healing is where we fail at most.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
If life was not valuable, God would not die for it. Believer or not, Grace only goes so far. God provides every avenue to seek Him and be completed. But sins of man like Depression and Anxiety become demonic to the victims. Only God knows the [true] state of mind. Life is [Precious] to God. But also, not utilizing the [faith] given unto us by God to trust in God for His healing is where we fail at most.
I've no idea what your saying ?