Does God forgive suicide?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lisamn

Dec 29, 2020
It's great that you have that testimony of what God has done for you but I don't think it's right to expect the exact same for everybody else.
As Christians...shouldn’t we encourage other Christians to trust in God? In fact our testimonies are a testament to the times we did trust in God and how He helped us.

I have experience with suicidal thoughts. I have been to many therapists that not one helped me with what was wrong with me because they didn’t really know themselves. When you take sin out of the equation then you have mental illness...a problem that isn’t your fault. However, God tells us all sin is against Him. If you want to take God and talk of God out of a cure..then there really isn’t a cure is there? But, if I give my testimony and talk about how God has cured me...maybe that will encourage someone else to believe that God does and can cure them of suicidal thoughts..after all it happened to me.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Hi Roger :)

I'm keeping that personal for now. Maybe as I get to know people I may share it via private message.
Well it is the most important issue you need to address.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
As Christians...shouldn’t we encourage other Christians to trust in God? In fact our testimonies are a testament to the times we did trust in God and how He helped us.

I have experience with suicidal thoughts. I have been to many therapists that not one helped me with what was wrong with me because they didn’t really know themselves. When you take sin out of the equation then you have mental illness...a problem that isn’t your fault. However, God tells us all sin is against Him. If you want to take God and talk of God out of a cure..then there really isn’t a cure is there? But, if I give my testimony and talk about how God has cured me...maybe that will encourage someone else to believe that God does and can cure them of suicidal thoughts..after all it happened to me.
Yes of course. That would come by default :) But is it sin if some people struggle to trust God in one area or another? Especially when there's apparent silence from God?

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
I know this is probably not the intent here, but it seems some could be inadvertently promoting suicide. Like some have already said, I wouldn't risk it...Seems that would just be playing with fire.

Even Paul said to die would be gain...but he in no way promoted suicide. It would be awesome to go on to be with the Lord, but we don't get to make the decision to end it whenever we want. That's is up to God.

And if we inadvertently tell someone who may already be at the verge of suicide that God is most definitely going to forgive them, then that is very dangerous, in my opinion.

We need to be encouraging people to trust in the Lord and let his will be done.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
Very difficult question. Jesus knows the hearts of those that belong to Him. Have their been believers that have? Yes. Have they gone to be with the Lord. I do believe the answer is yes, although I would not put God to such a test.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
Very difficult question. Jesus knows the hearts of those that belong to Him. Have there been believers that have? Yes. Have they gone to be with the Lord. I do believe the answer is yes, although I would not put God to such a test.

Lisamn

Dec 29, 2020
Yes of course. That would come by default :) But is it sin if some people struggle to trust God in one area or another? Especially when there's apparent silence from God?
All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God...if you say you have no sin..you are deceiving yourself and the truth isn’t in you.

We all struggle in many areas in our lives against the sin that dwells within us...and we need God to help us with the sin...just like we needed Jesus to save us. If you want to walk into worldly ’cures’ because God is silent or you don’t think He’s doing anything or cares...aren’t you then sinning by not trusting Him to help you?

There was a time I was trying to decide if I wanted to take a pill to cure my depression. One day I was at Bible study trying to decide if taking a pill was good or should I trust in God. That’s an iffy thing when you’ve struggled for as long as I had and I have little kids who depend on me. Didn’t God care about my problem? But, I also knew that I should trust in God with all my heart..so I didn’t know what to really do. Anyway, at this Bible study I was thinking about it more than listening and I heard ‘Trust Me.’ I looked up and around to see if anyone else heard it and no one looked my way so I was starting to discount I heard anything when I heard it again. And at that point I knew...I had a choice to make, trust God or trust in horses and chariots i.e. the world. I chose to trust God and I wish I could say that that ended my struggle right then and there..but it didn’t..it only served to show me that I was willing to trust in God and that I think was a good thing.

And really..I think that’s what life is really about..learning to trust in God that He really does care for you. We will always come up against times that will test our faith...do we grow in faith or not..or do we shrink back to something less and eventually to destruction? Hebrews 10:39

Lisamn

Dec 29, 2020
Very difficult question. Jesus knows the hearts of those that belong to Him. Have their been believers that have? Yes. Have they gone to be with the Lord. I do believe the answer is yes, although I would not put God to such a test.
I think that’s hopeful wishing...that God loves us too much to throw us into the lake of fire where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth. But there is a lake of fire...and one can fall away from the faith..and I think you’ve fallen away when you stop trusting that God is good and you think suicide is your only option.

Jeremiah‬ ‭17:9‬ ‭
The heart is more deceitful than all else And is desperately sick; Who can understand it?​
‭‭

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God...if you say you have no sin..you are deceiving yourself and the truth isn’t in you.

We all struggle in many areas in our lives against the sin that dwells within us...and we need God to help us with the sin...just like we needed Jesus to save us. If you want to walk into worldly ’cures’ because God is silent or you don’t think He’s doing anything or cares...aren’t you then sinning by not trusting Him to help you?

There was a time I was trying to decide if I wanted to take a pill to cure my depression. One day I was at Bible study trying to decide if taking a pill was good or should I trust in God. That’s an iffy thing when you’ve struggled for as long as I had and I have little kids who depend on me. Didn’t God care about my problem? But, I also knew that I should trust in God with all my heart..so I didn’t know what to really do. Anyway, at this Bible study I was thinking about it more than listening and I heard ‘Trust Me.’ I looked up and around to see if anyone else heard it and no one looked my way so I was starting to discount I heard anything when I heard it again. And at that point I knew...I had a choice to make, trust God or trust in horses and chariots i.e. the world. I chose to trust God and I wish I could say that that ended my struggle right then and there..but it didn’t..it only served to show me that I was willing to trust in God and that I think was a good thing.

And really..I think that’s what life is really about..learning to trust in God that He really does care for you. We will always come up against times that will test our faith...do we grow in faith or not..or do we shrink back to something less and eventually to destruction? Hebrews 10:39
I'm not talking about sinlessness so I'm not sure why your saying that.
What I'm trying to say is. I used to get internally frustrated when people didn't see things how I did, or didn't trust God in certain things like I did, thinking, why don't they see it? What's wrong with them? Ultimately pretty much thinking they were sinning by doing so. I've learnt over the years that people think differently, have different experiences and God works with people differently to show us His truths.
Just because someone doesn't understand something about God now, doesn't mean they never will. Heck, there's been things on here I've questioned why do they think that way but now I understand.
I don't have any expectation for someone believe or think the same as me. We are all on a journey with God.
So for me to make my mind up about someone for committing suicide is wrong. It may not be for you, that's fine with me.
I have no idea what extent of torment they've gone through that brought them to that place, even if they fought for themselves to believe but still thought they couldn't get through.

Lisamn

Dec 29, 2020
I'm not talking about sinlessness so I'm not sure why your saying that.
What I'm trying to say is. I used to get internally frustrated when people didn't see things how I did, or didn't trust God in certain things like I did, thinking, why don't they see it? What's wrong with them? Ultimately pretty much thinking they were sinning by doing so. I've learnt over the years that people think differently, have different experiences and God works with people differently to show us His truths.
Just because someone doesn't understand something about God now, doesn't mean they never will. Heck, there's been things on here I've questioned why do they think that way but now I understand.
I don't have any expectation for someone believe or think the same as me. We are all on a journey with God.
So for me to make my mind up about someone for committing suicide is wrong. It may not be for you, that's fine with me.
I have no idea what extent of torment they've gone through that brought them to that place, even if they fought for themselves to believe but still thought they couldn't get through.
Sure...we are just giving our opinions here. I thought that since I had suicidal thoughts and was helped by God that I could be of some help to others struggling with those thoughts and trusting in God.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Sure...we are just giving our opinions here. I thought that since I had suicidal thoughts and was helped by God that I could be of some help to others struggling with those thoughts and trusting in God.
Of course it will and I pray it will help countless people :)
But sadly, it may not be received by some people either :( like any other testimony really I think.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
It might be. Bu
I think that’s hopeful wishing...that God loves us too much to throw us into the lake of fire where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth. But there is a lake of fire...and one can fall away from the faith..and I think you’ve fallen away when you stop trusting that God is good and you think suicide is your only option.

The heart is more deceitful than all else And is desperately sick; Who can understand it?​
‭‭[/QUOTE

It might be. But scripture also says

My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand.
John 10:29

That also includes an individual that may have taken their own life.

Lisamn

Dec 29, 2020
Of course it will and I pray it will help countless people :)
But sadly, it may not be received by some people either :( like any other testimony really I think.
Sure, someone has decided to put me on ignore rather than listen to my testimony..those things happen, I don’t and didn’t take it personally.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
It might be. Bu

‭‭[/QUOTE

It might be. But scripture also says

My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand.
John 10:29

That also includes an individual that may have taken their own life.

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
How can you be sure they were ever actually God's if they take their own lives? I mean aren't we made overcomers by the blood of the Lamb? How could we be considered an overcomer if we ended our own life? I guess, what I am saying can someone have really believed in Jesus and put their trust in him if they kill themselves? IDK...So I'm not going to even try to justify suicide in anyway or give any sense of hope in it.

Are we preaching the Saving Power of Jesus or a weak gospel and Jesus who cannot bring a change to us and help us through this life?

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
How can you be sure they were ever actually God's if they take their own lives? I mean aren't we made overcomers by the blood of the Lamb? How could we be considered an overcomer if we ended our own life? I guess, what I am saying can someone have really believed in Jesus and put their trust in him if they kill themselves? IDK...So I'm not going to even try to justify suicide in anyway or give any sense of hope in it.

Are we preaching the Saving Power of Jesus or a weak gospel and Jesus who cannot bring a change to us and help us through this life?
It’s hard to say since we are not God. Jonah wanted his life to end and he had spoke to God directly. Same with Elijah. Of course God told no way.

Oct 19, 2020
Bottom line, from before Christ and after, all down throughout the Centuries we have records of Martyrs like Stephen in the Book of Acts, the writings of Josephus, the Book of Martyrs itself. Our history in God's Lineage results in many tragedies. And those tragedies have never included the act of suicide.

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
It’s hard to say since we are not God. Jonah wanted his life to end and he had spoke to God directly. Same with Elijah. Of course God told no way.
Yep, and that is the main reason, I don't want to give anyone any hope in using suicide as a way out. I'm sure there are many who would rather go on and be with the Lord, but we are not God and that is not our decision. We are not God and don't know how he is going to judge it in the end. So for me, it seems very dangerous to even imply that there would be any hope in suicide.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
Yep, and that is the main reason, I don't want to give anyone any hope in using suicide as a way out. I'm sure there are many who would rather go on and be with the Lord, but we are not God and that is not our decision. We are not God and don't know how he is going to judge it in the end. So for me, it seems very dangerous to even imply that there would be any hope in suicide.
I wish no one would contemplate such a horrific and destructive act. We do live in a fallen world and until God brings about the new Heaven and new Earth, unfortunately things like that will happen.