Does god hate dogs

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 19, 2021
So I have a pet dog, and I love her. I've always believed that dogs and other pets are a gift from God and a blessing. Especially dogs. Every day, I pray to God to thank him for bringing her into my life and ask him to protect her. I always used to think that he cared about pets. Not in the way he cares for people but he cares for us and therefore cares about what we care about etc.

Lately, a friend told me that I shouldn't have a dog because they are not God's creation. They are ours, we created them from the grey wolf. Therefore, God doesn't love them because he didn't create them.

I love my dog and I can't hate the idea of god hating her or not caring about her.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
So I have a pet dog, and I love her. I've always believed that dogs and other pets are a gift from God and a blessing. Especially dogs. Every day, I pray to God to thank him for bringing her into my life and ask him to protect her. I always used to think that he cared about pets. Not in the way he cares for people but he cares for us and therefore cares about what we care about etc.

Lately, a friend told me that I shouldn't have a dog because they are not God's creation. They are ours, we created them from the grey wolf. Therefore, God doesn't love them because he didn't create them.

I love my dog and I can't hate the idea of god hating her or not caring about her.
Sounds like your friend's line of logic is something along the lines of: because human beings that God created obeyed God's initial command to fill the earth and subdue it and in so doing tamed the wolves God created to be excellent companions and helpers and renamed them dogs, that now because people did something with what God created that something can no longer be considered God's creation.

But let's be practical for a minute and say that we are going to buy this ridiculous line of logic and we shouldn't have dogs because they're some sort of human corruption of what God created: what should we do with our pet dogs then? Are we going to say that despite the many verses in scripture about how God is love and loves the world and saw all that he had made and it was good and he approved, now the godly thing is to stop loving a living creature. Should we reduce our opportunities to love to make sure we're only loving what is perfect and lines up with everyone's opinions of what is Godly? How would such an attitude spill over into people harming people and influencing them? Are some people no longer God's creation because other people have messed them up so?

My advice. Love your dog and see loving your dog as just one of many ways God is making you a kinder more loving person who can consider the needs of others (animals, people, etc) and be moved to meet them. And become a good loving person instead of a person who is busy finding fault with perfectly acceptable things people do.

And just because we're talking about our dogs and I love mine too:
IMG_20211031_162610_HDR.jpg

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
God loves all creatures great and small that He has created and that includes dogs. Your friend has done a huge disservice to you, obviously not a dog lover.

O

Oblio

Of course God loves dogs...I prefer kitty-cats, but that's just me.
Did you know that cats rule and dogs drool? Just a fact of life! Lol

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Well, dogs are talked about in scripture...albeit not very positively. Cats aren't mentioned at all as far as I'm aware.

Ofc, those were probably wild dogs. I'm sort of surprised the bible doesn't talk about anyone having a pet at all except maaaybe Uriah's lamb.

This isn't an anti-dog post, I'm only saying that they are mentioned with no mention of what your friend said.

I do happen to be anti-barking though. It is interesting that in wild wolves, barking accounts for 5% or so of ALL vocalizations and is mostly done by puppies from what I read years ago (when my brother had a Pyrenees). So in a way, it's like dogs (due to domestication) cannot actually get out of the adolescent phase and "mature" into wolfdom.

Part of the reason why I want a wolf-breed mix, if some day I have the proper set/setting for it. Perhaps I shall name her Kiche after White Fang's mother ;)

O

Oblio

I had 3 kitty-cats but they all passed away. :cry:
We have 2 Dobies and a Husky...they bark way too loud and way too often...I get angry at them, especially when I have a migraine, but then I see how cute they are and my heart softens to them...once again!:)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I wonder why your friend would tell you such a thing. Do they have pets them self?

Animals are part of God's creation, which was seen as very good before man sinned.

Romans 8:19
The creation waits in eager expectation for the revelation of the sons of God.

That would include animals. I see no reason why not to believe they will
be part of the new earth. Scripture speaks of the restoration of all things.

Romans 8:22
We know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until the present time.

Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the splendor
and the majesty, for everything in heaven and on earth belongs to You.

For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things.

Revelation 5:13
I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, and all that is in them, saying: “To Him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power forever and ever!”

Welcome! :)

Nov 19, 2021
I wonder why your friend would tell you such a thing. Do they have pets them self?

Animals are part of God's creation, which was seen as very good before man sinned.

Romans 8:19
The creation waits in eager expectation for the revelation of the sons of God.

That would include animals. I see no reason why not to believe they will
be part of the new earth. Scripture speaks of the restoration of all things.

Romans 8:22
We know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until the present time.

Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the splendor
and the majesty, for everything in heaven and on earth belongs to You.

For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things.

Revelation 5:13
I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, and all that is in them, saying: “To Him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power forever and ever!”

Welcome! :)
I think his point was that God created wolf. Man created the domestic dog by selective breeding

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I think his point was that God created wolf. Man created the domestic dog by selective breeding
Wolf is a dog. The seven classifications of a dog are: Anamalia, Chordata, Mammalia, Carnivora, Canidae, Canis
and Canis lupus. The subspecies of dogs is Canis lupus familiaris, which includes feral and domesticated dogs.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021

My response would have been something like "Okay Sparky" and then I might have mussed his hair.
If he persisted I would have asked if he was serious.
If he said "Yes" I would have repeated "Okay Sparky" and suggested we just go get a sandwich or a coffee.
If he persisted I would have suggested that he take it up with the Lord.

On a more serious note: I hope he's not part of the "DNA Purity" crowd. Woof!

K

kaylagrl

A dog isn't a mutant. Wild animals can be domesticated. My father and his brothers brought home a fox and convinced my grandmother it was a dog. I asked her about it and she said she always thought it had a weird growl when it played with the kids. lol It didn't take long before the truth was out. Dogs aren't that far from their ancestors. Yes, God loves animals, he cares and feeds them in the wild. When not in the wild we are to care for them.

Oct 1, 2021
“To the Lord your God belong the heavens, even the highest heavens, the earth and everything in it.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭10:14‬ ‭NIV
“The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it; for he founded it on the seas and established it on the waters.” Psalm 24: 1-2 NIV
“The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.”
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭1:15-17‬ ‭NIV‬‬

I don’t believe humans have ever “invented” anything. Rather, we have discovered what God already created in the beginning. How can anyone claim that man created dogs by taming wolves if God had not made it possible for wolves to be tamed? How can anyone claim man created steel if God had not worked the properties of iron just so?

On a side note, I have gained a new appreciation for the words “Let there be light” since taking an introductory astronomy class. “And there was light”. Wow, in one command God created many of the behaviors of reality that took over 6 thousand years and (who we recognize as) geniuses to even begin to guess at.

Truly, glory to God in the highest heavens and all power belongs to Him!

O

Oblio

“To the Lord your God belong the heavens, even the highest heavens, the earth and everything in it.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭10:14‬ ‭NIV
“The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it; for he founded it on the seas and established it on the waters.” Psalm 24: 1-2 NIV
“The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.”
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭1:15-17‬ ‭NIV‬‬

I don’t believe humans have ever “invented” anything. Rather, we have discovered what God already created in the beginning. How can anyone claim that man created dogs by taming wolves if God had not made it possible for wolves to be tamed? How can anyone claim man created steel if God had not worked the properties of iron just so?

On a side note, I have gained a new appreciation for the words “Let there be light” since taking an introductory astronomy class. “And there was light”. Wow, in one command God created many of the behaviors of reality that took over 6 thousand years and (who we recognize as) geniuses to even begin to guess at.

Truly, glory to God in the highest heavens and all power belongs to Him!
When it comes to those we refer to as highly-intelligent, and when set alongside the Almighty, I call them, "Geniuses!" (I hope my sarcasm is evident!)
Amplified Bible
[This is] because the foolishness of God [is not foolishness at all and] is wiser than men [far beyond human comprehension], and the weakness of God is stronger than men [far beyond the limits of human effort]. - 1 Corinthians 1:25

Oct 10, 2021

Awww. Bless ur heart. God hates no one that includes dogs

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? yet not one of them shall fall to the ground apart from your Father...

I don't know what a farthing exactly is, though man may only value it as barely worth half that, God holds its entire life dear to Him. And God is sovereign, He is God in heaven above and on the earth below, and there is no rock like our God.

O

Oblio

I was thinking about it and you know those little dogs that bark and bark? He may hate them.

JTB

Aug 31, 2021
Of course God loves dogs...I prefer kitty-cats, but that's just me.
Did you know that cats rule and dogs drool? Just a fact of life! Lol
But bird bird bird, bird is the word!