Does God love all mankind?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
If God chastens all of those that he loves as stated in Hebrews 12:6, then why does he not chasten those mentioned in Psalms 73:5 - They are not in trouble as other men; neither are they PLAGUED (Thayer's Greek translation = divinely punished) like other men?

Garydavid

Mar 10, 2019
If God chastens all of those that he loves as stated in Hebrews 12:6, then why does he not chasten those mentioned in Psalms 73:5 - They are not in trouble as other men; neither are they PLAGUED (Thayer's Greek translation = divinely punished) like other men?
I beleive that God does love us all. As far as chastisments by God He does this according to what He sees fit. He knows our hearts and everything else as well. So i lean and trust in Him knowing this to be true.
God bless

SIMON55

Feb 15, 2019
MO,OK,AR

As you show in Hebrews chastening is for those who seek him and his love.
The wicked neither seek him or submit themselves under the authority of his love.
So they have their earthly rewards and recieve no other reward.Because the reward for unrepentant. Wickedness is death.
There is no point in envy of the walking dead . Until and unless they repent.
They are dead to God, but there are many OT verses of his recompense of them.😀

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Consider:
Revelation 17
15 And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.
16 And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the whore, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.
17 For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled.

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
"I love them that love me" (Proverbs 8:16)... "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him" (John 3:36).

So in the sense that God initially loves everyone (John 3:16), his love will not extend to those who inevitably reject him... jmo

AxeElf

Mar 5, 2019
Yeah, it's pretty clear that God doesn't love everyone...

And not only that, but this too: Rebecca conceived [two sons under exactly the same circumstances] by our forefather Isaac, and the children were yet unborn and had so far done nothing either good or evil. Even so, in order further to carry out God’s purpose of selection (election, choice), which depends not on works or what men can do, but on Him Who calls [them], it was said to her that the elder [son] should serve the younger [son]. As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated (held in relative disregard in comparison with My feeling for Jacob)." --Romans 9:10-13 (Amplified Bible, emphasis mine)

It didn't even depend on anything they had done or didn't do--God just did not love Esau from his conception.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty clear that God doesn't love everyone...

And not only that, but this too: Rebecca conceived [two sons under exactly the same circumstances] by our forefather Isaac, and the children were yet unborn and had so far done nothing either good or evil. Even so, in order further to carry out God’s purpose of selection (election, choice), which depends not on works or what men can do, but on Him Who calls [them], it was said to her that the elder [son] should serve the younger [son]. As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated (held in relative disregard in comparison with My feeling for Jacob)." --Romans 9:10-13 (Amplified Bible, emphasis mine)

It didn't even depend on anything they had done or didn't do--God just did not love Esau from his conception.
Context is always key: Love, Hate, Culture & Timeframes

Luke 14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
(NOTE: Jesus teaching here is symbolic & not literal hate. Hate here is in the context of Jewish culture expressions of His day.)

Jesus uses the word hate: To show how a mother or father will perceive the actions of a child who chooses the Lord above them. Will be seen as hateful or disloyal.

1st & most important commandment - Love God!

Other examples Matt 15:26 & Mk 7:27:
Jesus calls the Greek woman from Canaan a dog. She didn't have 4 legs & a long tail. This was a Jewish culture expression often used & applied to Gentiles. Seen by the Jew of that timeframe as godless dogs.

Luke 16:13:
No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other.
(NOTE: These extremes would be atypical & are not meant to be taken literally)

Genesis 29:30
And he went in also unto Rachel, and he loved also Rachel more than Leah, and served with him yet seven other years. And when the LORD saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb: but Rachel was barren.

NOTE: Here, "hated" is clearly used synonymously with one who is loved less. Simply stated, Jacob loved Rachel more! If Jacob literally hated Leah why consent to take her as his wife at all. (Find additional context: Judges 14:16 & Deut. 21:15-17.)

Onto Malachi & Romans 9:

1st thought: 1 John 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

Isaac & Rebekah have 2 sons. Esau & Jacob. Esau offspring become what the Bible refers to as Edomites. Gen chapter 36 tells of Esau's GREAT WEALTH. Esau was by no means, the preverbal red headed step child (pun intended)

Jacobs offspring later become God's chosen people Israel. Point: God loved Jacob, who loved God/MORE!

Those claiming Jesus, Matt, Mal 1:1-2 & Paul in Rom 9:10-13 are preaching literal hate are taking a translated word from a different timeframe & culture. And claiming what it meant then, also applies today. I saw this same type of misapplication used in the global warming post. Jesus, Malachi & Paul's statements are in line with the context of Jewish culture during their timeframes. And should be taken metaphorically, not literally. MOO!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Because the wicked are foolish and dont believe God. As it says pride compasses them about they are far from God. As you read further in the psalm the psalmist goes to Gods sanctuary and in verse 17 he understands their end is destruction.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
I beleive that God does love us all. As far as chastisments by God He does this according to what He sees fit. He knows our hearts and everything else as well. So i lean and trust in Him knowing this to be true.
God bless
David, in Psalms 73 says that the hearts in those that God did not divinely punish were wicked, Did God not see fit to punish a wicked heart that he loved, or did God not punish him because he was not his child, and he did not love him?

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
As you show in Hebrews chastening is for those who seek him and his love.
The wicked neither seek him or submit themselves under the authority of his love.
So they have their earthly rewards and recieve no other reward.Because the reward for unrepentant. Wickedness is death.
There is no point in envy of the walking dead . Until and unless they repent.
They are dead to God, but there are many OT verses of his recompense of them.😀
Psalms 53:2-3 says that none of mankind would seek him and that none of us did good, no, not one. We are all born into this world, in a stat of being spiritually dead and cannot repent of breaking a spiritual law (1 Cor 2:14). Eph 2:5 tells us how we are quickened to life and then have the ability to repent.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
God didnt punish those in Psalms 73 because they werent saved people. Simple as!

God chastens every SON He receiveth. The "non-sons" arent chastened.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Consider:
Revelation 17
15 And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.
16 And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the whore, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.
17 For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled.
I believe the scriptures to teach that God uses wicked men's actions to show forth his power as in the case of God hardening Pharaoh's heart, but that does not mean that he chastens them out of love for them.

SIMON55

Feb 15, 2019
MO,OK,AR
Psalms 53:2-3 says that none of mankind would seek him and that none of us did good, no, not one. We are all born into this world, in a stat of being spiritually dead and cannot repent of breaking a spiritual law (1 Cor 2:14). Eph 2:5 tells us how we are quickened to life and then have the ability to repent.
Well I don't know what your point is I wasnt saying there was any salvation under the law before grace. So I am well aware that we must be born again and receive the spirit of adoption. So I don't know how you could say Gods prophets or John the baptist didn't seek him....so I think you have a missapplication of a generalization going on.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
"I love them that love me" (Proverbs 8:16)... "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him" (John 3:36).

So in the sense that God initially loves everyone (John 3:16), his love will not extend to those who inevitably reject him... jmo
We love God because he first loved us. The natural man, who is void of the indwelling Spirit, cannot discern spiritual things because they are foolishness unto him. Eph 2:5 tells us how the natural man becomes spiritual, and is then able to love God.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
God didnt punish those in Psalms 73 because they werent saved people. Simple as!

God chastens every SON He receiveth. The "non-sons" arent chastened.
The unsaved person is explained in 1 Cor 2:14, and cannot be saved until he is born spiritually as explained in Eph 2:5. God saves mankind, not by their acceptance, but by God's sovereign grace.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Well I don't know what your point is I wasnt saying there was any salvation under the law before grace. So I am well aware that we must be born again and receive the spirit of adoption. So I don't know how you could say Gods prophets or John the baptist didn't seek him....so I think you have a missapplication of a generalization going on.
My comments were in response to your statement, "unless until they repent". I was trying to convey to you that the natural man, void of the Spirit, cannot repent of breaking a spiritual law. No man will seek him unless they have already been born of the Spirit, as was John the baptist and the prophets.

NayborBear

I believe the scriptures to teach that God uses wicked men's actions to show forth his power as in the case of God hardening Pharaoh's heart, but that does not mean that he chastens them out of love for them.

God has been known to do some mighty "Strange and Mysterious" acts!

Just look at me! You'll find not many "stranger" then I! :cool:

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Because the wicked are foolish and dont believe God. As it says pride compasses them about they are far from God. As you read further in the psalm the psalmist goes to Gods sanctuary and in verse 17 he understands their end is destruction.
I am in agreement with you. The scriptures reflect the final destination of those that God does not love.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018

God has been known to do some mighty "Strange and Mysterious" acts!

Just look at me! You'll find not many "stranger" then I! :cool:
I fail to see the purpose of your cartoons. Can you verbalize the meaning you are trying to get across to me in words?

NayborBear

I fail to see the purpose of your cartoons. Can you verbalize the meaning you are trying to get across to me in words?
Sure thing FGC!

Revelation 20
12 AND, I SAW THE "DEAD", SMALL and GREAT, stand before God; and the "books were opened": and ANOTHER book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their "WORKS."

As you can read (hopefully), there are more then 1 set of books!
Also, as you read? You may be able to see that the "works" of these dead? Were judged out of those things which were written in the books!

Actually your failure of seeing God as being fair and just, in His judgements?

Is rather disappointing. :(