Does the Bible condone Corporal Punishment in Marriage or relationships?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I understand, Tourist, and you make an excellent point.

However, I can assure you that Christian74 is by no means violent and did not mean this literally.

He just feels very strongly about injustice and was venting his frustration at the thought of a woman (or anyone else) being abused by their spouse.
I know that he isn't. He is like me in that this kind of abuse might make him a little angry. My knee jerk response that I almost wrote was like his but I would have told her to slap the guy silly. And then run.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
I am married. We love each other. But I am sometimes bad and he says he is doing it for my own good. I am not a child. But when I am bad, he spanks me. I repent of my sin, I am sorry for it but once he starts spanking me it excites him and then its like he cant stop.
I honour him I try to adore him but sometimes I feel fear at his intencity of correcting my sins. I know he loves me and he says it hurts him more than me to do this to me. Does the Bible say that this must be done?

It sounds to me like your husband is into some form of BDSM, as you say it excites or maybe he just enjoys abusing you. Either way both are sin. If it's sexual it goes against what loving sexuality is all about.. If he just enjoys beating you then he has no real love for you at all.

You need to tell him to stop, or throw him out until he gets help and only then start healing your marriage. I feel you both have a distorted view on Grace, sin and repentance. When you repent to God of your sin you are forgiven, the punishment for that sin has already been dealt with on the cross (Isaiah 53:5; 1 John 2:2)

I understand that you want to honour your husband but you can't trust someone who is abusing you physically and spiritually for his own self centered desires. You both need to have this stopped get right with Christ and then start building up that trust step by step..

Husbands are to love their wives as they love themselves, they are to love their wives as Christ loves the church (Ephesians 518-33), not beat them for sin and get excited doing it and causing fear. I believe your husband needs to meet Jesus I pray he does, I pray both of you do.

B

Blackpowderduelist

Of all the things I have read in my life, this is one of them.

beacha

Apr 24, 2021
it is not a question of lying. I am married but it FEELS like I am not. I am growing in my faith. I grow, I change. I question. I am unsure. I doubt but perhaps I am not perfect. I am unsure around him. I love him. Life is confusing. But I am sure of my Lord Jesus Christ.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Hi beacha,

It's good to hear your know the lord and are growing in him, we all are and none of us are perfect either. It's good to hear you also love your husband that's a good thing. But rgarding your husband beating you for sin, I think you already know the answer.. It's wrong. It's not part of How God gives grace to us.

When your are saved you are no longer under condemnation:

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1).

And yet we still sin, but we have a loving Father who will forgives us our sins and restore our relationship with Him:

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)

You see it's God who has atoned for your sins himself, and when you do sin as His child and repent He is the one is faithful and fully forgives.. Your husband beating you can do nothing but hurt you. A husbands role is to protect you,meet your emotional and spiritual needs. I can say this because a husband is to be like Christ is to His bride (Christians), leading by being a servant.

Anyhow, I pray that you can both possibly get counselling, your husband certainly has issues regarding what it is to be a husband, and what it is to be a man wanting to honour his Saviour (that's if he is a Christian). Your marriage can be good and wholesome but As I think you already know there are some real problems that need dealt with. Anyhow, I pray that God works in your life for the right outcome.

K

kaylagrl

I am married. We love each other. But I am sometimes bad and he says he is doing it for my own good. I am not a child. But when I am bad, he spanks me. I repent of my sin, I am sorry for it but once he starts spanking me it excites him and then its like he cant stop.
I honour him I try to adore him but sometimes I feel fear at his intencity of correcting my sins. I know he loves me and he says it hurts him more than me to do this to me. Does the Bible say that this must be done?

Well there is both good news for you and your husband! You can tell your husband a man already died for the punishment of your sins, His name is Jesus Christ. What ever wrong you do has been paid for by His blood. So when you ask HIM for forgiveness, not your husband, HE is faithful to forgive you. So you can let your husband know that he's out of a job. Flagellation is a thing of the past and never did anything to bring us closer to God. Self abuse cannot save or forgive anyone's sins. That's not how it works. Only Christ could take that punishment on Himself for each of us. Have you ever watched the movie "Passion of the Christ"? If not, you and your husband go and do that now. Watch how the actor that plays Christ takes the whipping and then is nailed to the cross. Possibly the most realistic movie in history of the suffering of Christ. All that, was done for us. Your husband couldn't beat you hard enough to remove your sins, or his. Jesus paid that price. He took that cross and beating, NO human could nor can.

So your hubby needs to do a couple things, he needs to understand what salvation and the blood of Christ means. He needs to understand he has no role in your punishment, your salvation, your repentance, your sin, that's between you and the man who gave His life for you. And whatever other fetish or issue your husband has, he needs to bring to the cross and be washed of his own sins. We all have issues, we all sin, but we know there is only one cure for that sin, and it's Jesus, only!! No one else. So that is great news for you both. Blessings sister.

K

kaylagrl

Lady you are describing spousal abuse, and the Bible does not condone that. Insist that he stop.

We have a tradition in our family. Every bride gets two cast iron skillets. One to make corn bread, and one for the situation you are in. He has to sleep sometime.
This made me laugh. Just before hubby and I got married we were shopping for household items. I told him of how I was going to buy a marble rolling pin for my sister when she got married before me, "just in case". He grabbed a pan and said "only Teflon pans in our house". The look on his face, like a little kid. I about died laughing. We've been together 10 yrs and I've never needed a pan or rolling pin, he's a pretty calm guy. lol In retrospect I should have given my sister the marble rolling pin, might have helped knock some sense into that husband of hers. smh

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
uh no

Jesus took our punishment when he DIED....by crucifixtion.
He rose again on the 3rd day.

This does not translate to spouses beating each other up in any way, shape or form.

T

TheIndianGirl

No, I do not believe corporal punishment in marriage is Biblical. If he has sex with you right after, sounds more like a sexual fetish/fantasy. Even so, consent is required. If not, falls more into the category of physical abuse.

M

MoonCresta

Beacha - that's sick. Run, do not walk. No way does the Bible advocate that.