Does the earth move or is it stationary?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 7, 2016
These scriptures also mean that the sun physically rises and goes down over the world.

And Gideon the son of Joash returned from battle before the sun was up, Judges 8:13

And it shall be, that in the morning, as soon as the sun is up, thou shalt rise early, and set upon the city: and, behold, when he and the people that is with him come out against thee, then mayest thou do to them as thou shalt find occasion. Judges 9:33

And the men of the city said unto him on the seventh day before the sun went down, What is sweeter than honey? and what is stronger than a lion? And he said unto them, If ye had not plowed with my heifer, ye had not found out my riddle. Judges 14:18

And they passed on and went their way; and the sun went down upon them when they were by Gibeah, which belongeth to Benjamin. Judges 19:14

Thus they inclosed the Benjamites round about, and chased them, and trode them down with ease over against Gibeah toward the sunrising. Judges 20:43

Joab also and Abishai pursued after Abner: and the sun went down when they were come to the hill of Ammah, that lieth before Giah by the way of the wilderness of Gibeon. 2 Samuel 2:24

And when all the people came to cause David to eat meat while it was yet day, David sware, saying, So do God to me, and more also, if I taste bread, or ought else, till the sun be down. 2 Samuel 3:35

And he shall be as the light of the morning, when the sun riseth, even a morning without clouds; as the tender grass springing out of the earth by clear shining after rain. 2 Samuel 23:4

And there went a proclamation throughout the host about the going down of the sun, saying, Every man to his city, and every man to his own country. 1 Kings 22:36

And the battle increased that day: howbeit the king of Israel stayed himself up in his chariot against the Syrians until the even: and about the time of the sun going down he died. 2 Chronicles 18:34

Which commandeth the sun, and it riseth not; and sealeth up the stars. Job 9:7

(To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.) The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard. Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun, Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race. His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof. Psalms 19:1-6

(A Psalm of Asaph.) The mighty God, even the LORD, hath spoken, and called the earth from the rising of the sun unto the going down thereof. Psalms 50:1

He appointed the moon for seasons: the sun knoweth his going down. Psalms 104:19

The sun ariseth, they gather themselves together, and lay them down in their dens. Psalms 104:22

From the rising of the sun unto the going down of the same the LORD'S name is to be praised. Psalms 113:3

Behold, I will bring again the shadow of the degrees, which is gone down in the sun dial of Ahaz, ten degrees backward. So the sun returned ten degrees, by which degrees it was gone down. Isaiah 38:8

I have raised up one from the north, and he shall come: from the rising of the sun shall he call upon my name: and he shall come upon princes as upon morter, and as the potter treadeth clay. Isaiah 41:25

That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else. Isaiah 45:6

So shall they fear the name of the LORD from the west, and his glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him. Isaiah 59:19

Thy sun shall no more go down; neither shall thy moon withdraw itself: for the LORD shall be thine everlasting light, and the days of thy mourning shall be ended. Isaiah 60:20

She that hath borne seven languisheth: she hath given up the ghost; her sun is gone down while it was yet day: she hath been ashamed and confounded: and the residue of them will I deliver to the sword before their enemies, saith the LORD. Jeremiah 15:9

Then the king, when he heard these words, was sore displeased with himself, and set his heart on Daniel to deliver him: and he laboured till the going down of the sun to deliver him. Daniel 6:14

And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Lord GOD, that I will cause the sun to go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in the clear day: Amos 8:9

And it came to pass, when the sun did arise, that God prepared a vehement east wind; and the sun beat upon the head of Jonah, that he fainted, and wished in himself to die, and said, It is better for me to die than to live. Jonah 4:8

Therefore night shall be unto you, that ye shall not have a vision; and it shall be dark unto you, that ye shall not divine; and the sun shall go down over the prophets, and the day shall be dark over them. Micah 3:6

Thy crowned are as the locusts, and thy captains as the great grasshoppers, which camp in the hedges in the cold day, but when the sun ariseth they flee away, and their place is not known where they are. Nahum 3:17

For from the rising of the sun even unto the going down of the same my name shall be great among the Gentiles; and in every place incense shall be offered unto my name, and a pure offering: for my name shall be great among the heathen, saith the LORD of hosts. Malachi 1:11

But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall. Malachi 4:2

That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. Matthew 5:45

And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away. Matthew 13:6

And at even, when the sun did set, they brought unto him all that were diseased, and them that were possessed with devils. Mark 1:32

But when the sun was up, it was scorched; and because it had no root, it withered away. Mark 4:6

And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun. Mark 16:2

Now when the sun was setting, all they that had any sick with divers diseases brought them unto him; and he laid his hands on every one of them, and healed them. Luke 4:40

Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: Ephesians 4:26

For the sun is no sooner risen with a burning heat, but it withereth the grass, and the flower thereof falleth, and the grace of the fashion of it perisheth: so also shall the rich man fade away in his ways. James 1:11

This means that the sun physically rises in the east; is the highest it will rise over the world at due south, and then goes down in the west (every day). It speeds up as it rises,

So let all thine enemies perish, O LORD: but let them that love him be as the sun when he goeth forth in his might. And the land had rest forty years. Judges 5:31

extending it’s course outward; making an extended circle of a course as it goes over the south. At due south it begins to slow down, closing it’s extended circle of a course inward; until it gets to the west. In the west it starts it’s perfect circle of a course, around 93 miles up; going the same speed, and keeping that altitude; until it gets to the east and starts to rise again. That is where the word set comes from. The sun sets on it’s level (level altitude and speed), until it gets to the east and starts rising again.

K

KnowMe

Joshua 10:13 KJV
[13] And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.
Indeed that is true from looking at the sky from earth.

Mar 22, 2019
The Earth is stationary. As I mentioned in my other post:

The Earth is a globe. But it doesn't spin or move; as the Bible says, it is fixed and will never be moved.

Flat earth is a delusion perpetrated by the enemies of God and the church and was used to discredit the church by saying that the Church used to teach the Earth was flat, but that was NEVER the case, everyone in all of human history always taught the Earth is a globe. [1]

Unfortunately, in recent years it was probably pushed by atheists as a joke and also as a PsyOps to discredit anyone who says "conspiracy theory" (like 9/11, JFK, etc which are growing in evidence as real conspiracies) because Flat Earthers will just be laughed at for anyone who hasn't bought into the delusion (for good reason, unfortunately).

It is unfortunate, because the fallacious (false) arguments for flat Earth are often even derived from the truth that the globe Earth is fixed and unmoving, and the Copernican LIE that it is not the Sun which moves but rather the Earth which moves has deceived not even the so-called scientists who teach it (despite being disproven in the failure of the Michaelson-Morley experiments, and others), but also the laypeople who are deceived by websites like the Flat Earth website that comes up in a google search with a bunch of flat-earth fallacies that are either totally wrong, or, could be explained by a fixed, unmoving globe Earth (like the absence of provable acceleration despite supposedly spinning at over 1,000mph). [2]

Don't believe me about an unmoving globe earth though, just look it up yourself. It's a rabbit trail though, so I'd recommend either commit to learning the truth about our unmoving globe earth, or don't bother thinking about it at all. It's a hard thing to change such a core believe about our world, just like evolution, big bang, the lies of "carbon dating" which are false, plate tectonics, manmade CO2-based global warming, old earth, and other "science" lies. It should be no surprise that atheist (Copernican) science would have also lied about the motion of the Earth.

But Flat Earth is ridiculous [3], it is sad that more people are being deceived by it by reading flat earth websites and watching flat earth videos. Unfortunately, it's hard to change a flat earther's mind to understand our globe earth because they are indeed deluded and deceived.

1. https://creation.com/the-flat-earth-myth-and-creationism
2. https://revivetruth.com/heliocentric-fallacy/
3. https://thetechreader.com/top-ten/t...ry-has-absolutely-no-scientific-basis-part-1/

K

KnowMe

The Earth is stationary. As I mentioned in my other post:

The Earth is a globe. But it doesn't spin or move; as the Bible says, it is fixed and will never be moved.

like the absence of provable acceleration despite supposedly spinning at over 1,000mph.
The earth is in a fixed path around the sun thrice from it, oblong creates the seasons, it’s in the habitable zone.

provable acceleration?? it’s been moving 1000mph for a long time.

Mar 22, 2019
The earth is in a fixed path around the sun thrice from it, oblong creates the seasons, it’s in the habitable zone.

provable acceleration?? it’s been moving 1000mph for a long time.
Incorrect. As the Bible says and true science actually has shown, the Earth is fixed and unmoving, and the Sun is orbiting Earth.
Check out the movie "The Principle" (probably can be found on youtube) which goes into some of the science, that's a good starting point to find true science outside of the atheist views of popular science, which actually proves that the Earth is not only fixed and unmoving, but actually at the center of the universe. Which makes sense, since God created the Earth before the rest of the universe (check out Genesis 1).

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Wow... a quick scan of this thread shows so much error, it's hardly worth responding further. What a train wreck!

Y'all need to get outside more often.

K

KnowMe

Incorrect. As the Bible says and true science actually has shown, the Earth is fixed and unmoving, and the Sun is orbiting Earth.
Check out the movie "The Principle" (probably can be found on youtube) which goes into some of the science, that's a good starting point to find true science outside of the atheist views of popular science, which actually proves that the Earth is not only fixed and unmoving, but actually at the center of the universe. Which makes sense, since God created the Earth before the rest of the universe (check out Genesis 1).
true science has shown where? why would I believe Rick Delano?

in genesis 1 the earth was without form, it was in its elementary form, elements.

Ohm

Mar 4, 2018
The Bible says the Sun and moon go down and rise. So in the Bible when the earth and moon stood still it could have happened. If the earth was rotating then stopped all the oceans would flood, spill ext. this making the miracle kind of tough.
Gravity, largely. Partly residual motion from the formation of the planets. Earth encounters virtually no resistance in the vacuum of space. Newton's first law explains this well.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Joshua 10:13 KJV
[13] And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.
Good day Johnnyvegas,

The reason that it is written that "the sun stood still and the moon stayed" is because at that time they had no concept of the solar system with everything revolving around the sun. Therefore to those people at that time, the sun and moon would appear to be moving, i.e. going down. They did not understand that the sun was stationary and that the earth was rotating. Obviously, God did not reveal that information to them.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
That is only a human perspective and actually, the heavens and earth are a creation of our consciousness. It means that if everyone is to pass away today, there will be no heavens or earth or cars or planes also. Heavens and earth and all that comes from them only exist in the mind- so nothing really rotates or moves and nothing is stationery.
Thank goodness this post is imaginary.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Wow I didn’t think about stopping the water because the miracle was stopping the Sun and the Moon. That’s a good point. God could do anything, so God could make the sun and moon stop in the as the Bible says. Right?
God could make these weirdo posts stop. He must have a sense of humor.:)

oyster67

May 24, 2014
A matter of observational perspective perhaps. We are the center of our own little universes in our own little heads unless we put God at the center of our conciousnesses.

K

Karraster

We needn't feel superior in knowledge to the ancient peoples. I suspect they knew things we don't know, tho we have the Bible, yet we do not believe it. The further away we get from our beginning, the more we "forget". I cannot think the Almighty mislead them. I don't buy, "Oh that was how they understood their surroundings", so God said "ok we'll go with that no need to confuse the little creatures."

For instance this old verse about springs of the seas, Job 38:16 “Have you entered into the springs of the sea, or walked in the recesses of the deep?

The existence of water springs in the oceans weren't discovered until about 1970. Chew on that all you doubters that the Bible is true.:)

Jun 16, 2019
God's powers are infinite. He can make the impossible come to pass.

kinda

Jun 26, 2013
If the earth is constantly stationary, explain earthquakes? If the earth is constantly moving, how come there is no evidence of it, besides earthquakes?