Does unconditional love or true love exist?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Do you think unconditional love or true love exist in this world?

• Total voters

Mikhal

Nov 15, 2019
EEEEEYES :), It Absolutely does. Relationship wise, I know several couples that have been-are-will stay, Madly in love. They keep GOD in the Center of their Marriage, and The World OUT of it. 1 Corinth. 13:13 :)

Butterflyyy

Oct 31, 2019
One of my kids has been behaving so badly lately, taking drugs, running away, being violent....I felt like I hated him... but the love was still there underneath and it always will be.... I unconditionally love my kids, I can't help it it's just there....

Mikhal

Nov 15, 2019
One of my kids has been behaving so badly lately, taking drugs, running away, being violent....I felt like I hated him... but the love was still there underneath and it always will be.... I unconditionally love my kids, I can't help it it's just there....
I know how you Feel. My oldest boy is being a meathead, i cannot have the close relationship that we once had, otherwise it condones his actions. SOO, he gets loved quietly, from a distance, lol.

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018
Absolutely.

There’s the unconditional agape love of God - and a prime example of this is John 3:16.

There’s also a unconditional love that I have noticed since my parents became grand-parents for the first time. Honestly, the love that grandparents have for their grandchildren is on another level, they (grandkids) can get away with anything but I remember thinking when I was their age, we never got away with that! Anywho, I think it’s a beautiful thing witnessing the love of grandparents for their grandchildren.

Finally, the unconditional love that I have for my dogs.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I think there is indeed true love, though maybe not how others do. I feel you can indeed be in love with someone and they not be who God has for you. Whoever God has for you I think would be the “true love” as storybooks say, but I think God can have more than one love for you if say someone becomes a widow or a widower.

Unconditional love I think comes more from God, a parent to their children, and maybe pets to people. I know friends, family, and romantic interests love you but it’s impossible to be “in love” or show love always. To have an attitude of love and respect? Yes that can be always.

S

selfdissolving

only with God.

all human love is conditional, as it should be in this fallen world.

any endeavor we make to love another human unconditionally can always be brought down if the conditions become severe enough.

unconditional love is perfect love, and the only perfect one is God. the unconditional, perfect love of God is a manifestation of his perfection and is part of his being. since we are not perfect, we cannot love perfectly.

17Bees

Oct 14, 2016
I know how you Feel. My oldest boy is being a meathead, i cannot have the close relationship that we once had, otherwise it condones his actions. SOO, he gets loved quietly, from a distance, lol.
I love this "he gets loved quietly, from a distance". You still love, but cannot condone your son's craziness. So - is that conditional? Or is it unconditional? You would think that your love is conditional because you're refusing to enable his meat-headedness, but it could also be unconditional because you still love your son even though you cannot condone his actions.

So isn't this the same with God? Isn't God's love conditional in this sense? He loves even the faithless and it grieves Him when they're lost, but unless they believe in Him they will not see everlasting life with Him. Isn't that a condition? So is it fair to say God's love is unconditional? Is it fair to say we cannot love unconditionally when several here confess loving regardless of merit or circumstance?

I think unconditional love is possible because we were made in the image of God. But even the mom whose son loses himself in drugs might reach her limit and though she might love, her patience is lost. And isn't this the story of the Israelite's when God's patience was lost?

Mikhal

Nov 15, 2019
I love this "he gets loved quietly, from a distance". You still love, but cannot condone your son's craziness. So - is that conditional? Or is it unconditional? You would think that your love is conditional because you're refusing to enable his meat-headedness, but it could also be unconditional because you still love your son even though you cannot condone his actions.

So isn't this the same with God? Isn't God's love conditional in this sense? He loves even the faithless and it grieves Him when they're lost, but unless they believe in Him they will not see everlasting life with Him. Isn't that a condition? So is it fair to say God's love is unconditional? Is it fair to say we cannot love unconditionally when several here confess loving regardless of merit or circumstance?

I think unconditional love is possible because we were made in the image of God. But even the mom whose son loses himself in drugs might reach her limit and though she might love, her patience is lost. And isn't this the story of the Israelite's when God's patience was lost?
Yep, You're absolutely right.

Butterflyyy

Oct 31, 2019
only with God.

all human love is conditional, as it should be in this fallen world.

any endeavor we make to love another human unconditionally can always be brought down if the conditions become severe enough.

unconditional love is perfect love, and the only perfect one is God. the unconditional, perfect love of God is a manifestation of his perfection and is part of his being. since we are not perfect, we cannot love perfectly.
Then why does God in His Word tell us to, "Walk in love".......

S

selfdissolving

because we should walk in love. He who loves is of God. but there are different types of love. the love between a husband and wife is not the same as the love of a parent for a child, or the brotherly love between two friends.

the question was "does unconditional love exist?" and i said yes, but only God is capable of truly unconditional love because that sort of love is perfect and human beings are not perfect.

in reality that's just my opinion, we do not have to agree. I hope you're having a good night. God bless

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Yes Buterflyyy, God wants us to take a stab at it. Couldn't hurt. We can even expect His help along the way. Praise His name.

because we should walk in love. He who loves is of God. but there are different types of love. the love between a husband and wife is not the same as the love of a parent for a child, or the brotherly love between two friends.
Do you not think "agape" type love exists in all our relationships? Cannot our relationships consist of more than one type of love? :unsure:

BrotherMike

Be Still and Know
Jan 8, 2018
I believe if you tap into Gods unconditional love you can love others the same way being focused on Him. (Pray without ceasing)

Kuks

Nov 14, 2019
I wonder if unconditional love or true love really exist in this world. What do you think?
I believe it does. If one commit himself or herself to loving God and knowing God , then one can love like Christ loves and that is unconditional . I know and have experienced unconditional love before
I wonder if unconditional love or true love really exist in this world. What do you think?

Nov 25, 2019
God loves unconditionally, humans I'm not so sure and "true love" as it pertains to romantic love or whatever is a complete falsehood. This kind of unattainable expectation for love from another ruins many relationships.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
So... how's that working out for you so far Alby? What does your wife think about it? Does she believe there is such a thing as "true love" in your relationship?

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
By the way... Alby I've been watching you post a lot on the forum the last couple days, and I gotta say it's flipping hard to pin down exactly what you think. Posts you make in one thread indicate you think one way, then posts in another thread are contradictory.

Contradictory is actually a really good word here. You contradict yourself more than a stadium full of JFK conspiracy theorists. In fact you contradict yourself almost as much as Oliver Stone contradicts himself. Only almost. So far.

OneOfHis

Mar 24, 2019

Yeah, they both exist. (though personal definitions and semantics could probably be argued either way)

The definitions in my head when I see these are...

Unconditional love can be between any two people and is when you want someone elses best interest to the point of self sacrifice no matter what they do. (which still may involve justice or punishment or cutting them off to not support harmful behaviors or ideals or to protect yourself and others)

True love to me means something like unconditional love plus more emphasis on STAYING forever and is more in relation to couples or marriage.... "one true love" pops into my head....

but without my own definitions "true love" is just the opposite of "false love"...

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
but without my own definitions "true love" is just the opposite of "false love"...
That's as good a definition as any.

"False love" is "I love you because you provide something for me." Money, lodging, sex, even just companionship - I have identified a need in my life that this person can fill, so I love this person because this person fills that need.

The shortest way I know to differentiate between "true" and "false" love is, if that person was not able to fill that need... would you still love that person?