DRINKING AND THE SCRIPTURES

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Romans 14:20-21 (KJV) [SUP]20 [/SUP]For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence. [SUP]21 [/SUP]It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

Many believe offending your brother to cause him to stumble is sinful(it is), but will do it anyway. Look how many have been offended just by talking about this. I wonder how many more will be offended when they see you do it?
Before someone says nobody's offended with this thread, let me tell you I am.

Mark 9:42 (KJV) [SUP]42 [/SUP]And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea.
 
Last edited:
Romans 14:20-21 (KJV) [SUP]20 [/SUP]For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence. [SUP]21 [/SUP]It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

Many believe offending your brother to cause him to stumble is sinful(it is), but will do it anyway. Look how many have been offended just by talking about this. I wonder how many more will be offended when they see you do it?
Before someone says nobody's offended with this thread, let me tell you I am.

Mark 9:42 (KJV) [SUP]42 [/SUP]And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea.

yep.

And I do not drink around people who it would offend. or known alcoholics, (even if others are drinking)

but that does not mean I would refuse or judge a person who is drinking, in fact it could offend them.

so. it is a sin to offend by drinking around someone who would be offended, but is not a sin to judge or offend someone who thinks it is ok to drink.

talk about a double standard!
 
The first alcohol I ever had was from my father when I was probably 7. I was curious and he let me try and it tasted awful. Not until I had my own friends in my teens had I ever tried it again and had my fair share of drunkenness but who wanted to be a wimp?
Blame it all on my parents but not my friends nor my choice!
 
The first alcohol I ever had was from my father when I was probably 7. I was curious and he let me try and it tasted awful. Not until I had my own friends in my teens had I ever tried it again and had my fair share of drunkenness but who wanted to be a wimp?
Blame it all on my parents but not my friends nor my choice!

In European countries, especially Mediterranean ones, it is not unusual for children to be given table wine to drink, diluted with water.
 
I have a question, I tend to do this and I don't know if it's right or not. If I'm going to drink alcohol it's only a very small amount of wine at an occasion where it's available. But only if I'm around other believers whom I won't cause to stumble but if I'm primarily around non believers then I wont touch the wine. Is that hypocritical? I feel like it is sometimes but I don't know if I'm judging myself right?
 
Jesus wouldn't tell us not to be eating and drinking with the drunken when He comes, if someone says Jesus did something that He told us not to do, they are calling Jesus a hypocrite, and i don't think that is possible. So keep on thinking Jesus was drinking booze, but i won't be convinced of it. And shame on people telling other people drinking is fine because Jesus did it, i see that as a lie of the devil.
 
I have a question, I tend to do this and I don't know if it's right or not. If I'm going to drink alcohol it's only a very small amount of wine at an occasion where it's available. But only if I'm around other believers whom I won't cause to stumble but if I'm primarily around non believers then I wont touch the wine. Is that hypocritical? I feel like it is sometimes but I don't know if I'm judging myself right?

Romans 14 should be a good guide for you.

Blessings.
 
Jesus wouldn't tell us not to be eating and drinking with the drunken when He comes, if someone says Jesus did something that He told us not to do, they are calling Jesus a hypocrite, and i don't think that is possible. So keep on thinking Jesus was drinking booze, but i won't be convinced of it. And shame on people telling other people drinking is fine because Jesus did it, i see that as a lie of the devil.

could you say this again but this time without the drunken?
 
Thanks be to Jesus he gave them the best of a non alcoholic wine after all that drinking prior to his arrival, you think?

lol. You know nothing of jewish tradition, or drinking wine. And it shows.

Holier than thou.. If you would see what you sound like. Not only to God. but in reality.
 
lol. You know nothing of jewish tradition, or drinking wine. And it shows.

Holier than thou.. If you would see what you sound like. Not only to God. but in reality.

Wonder what kind of Fruit of the Vine we will be having with him in the Kingdom of God?
 
The trick is, not to get offended by what someone says, because by getting offended by some little knit-picky thing
your expecting the other person to change, just so that your view of what's right, gets satisfied.