Easter Celebration, Is It Biblical?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
Yes christmas is pagan, surrounding the winter solstice, rebirth of the sun, and the pagan festival of Bacchus, wine, women, and song (indulgence)

It was a time when monies were given to servants to relieve the masters, also seen today in the christmas bonus, turkey/ham giveaways

January 1st in New Years day is in commemorating the pagan roman diety (Janus) January, the god of new beginnings

It's amazing when one does a little study, surrounded by a pagan culture, many unaware.
The fact is that the word Easter means resurrection until it was theoretically paganized based on phonetics. The old word can be traced biblically sound and the fakers would make us believe in bunnies, egg, Eostre, the pagan goddess etc. however, not knowing that it can be traced biblically with the East Star, the day dawn of Christ resurrection.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
The “Easter” celebration for Christianity is well-founded in the Bible. The Jewish Pascha (Passover) covers from the O.T. to Christ Death and the resurrection of Christ is the beginning of the foundation of the so-called “Easter” for Christianity. Since Christ's resurrection, a new celebration has begun and the apostles may have reason to celebrate since their Saviour rose from the dead. Apostles had taught of commemorating through the practice of “Water Baptism” showing forth the death, burial, and resurrection and the “Lord’s Supper” picturing the death, burial, resurrection, and Christ coming in Acts 2 long before Acts 12. Easter though is a specific introduction on the resurrection of Christ which corresponds to the Jewish Passover. This justifies that it was really a new celebration for Christianity. Is Easter or Passover is originally meant here? The argument is over semantic. Simply put it, “Easter” is for believing Jews and Gentile, since this commemorates the resurrection of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ while “Passover” is for the Jews. Are we not going to a Jewish Festival of Passover? No, we cannot since that celebration is intended for the Jews indicating from the time of Moses and the Israelites were pass over because of the blood.
Jesus Christ Gave A Directive To Remember His (Death) Not His Birth Or Resurrection.

1 Corinthians 11:23-26KJV
23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he

Mar 22, 2021
I Corinthians chapter 5

[6] Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?
[7] Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:
[8] Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
[9] I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
[10] Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.
[11] But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
[12] For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?
[13] But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

I'm assuming that you're referring to the part of that verse that I bold-faced or that you're saying that those outside of the church will be judged by God and not by us for their actions.

That's fine, but what about the preceding verses?

I mean, surely you can recognize that "Christ our PASSOVER is sacrificed for us" in that he became the fulfillment of the Passover lamb when he was crucified ON THE FEAST OF PASSOVER.

In other words, that was GOD'S ordained holy day/holiday which foreshadowed the same.

Similarly, Christ was raised from the dead on the Feast of Firstfruits, God's ordained holy day/holiday which foreshadowed the same, and, for this precise reason, Paul twice refers to Christ as "the firstfruits of them that slept" (I Cor. 15:20) or "the firstfruits" (I Cor. 15:23)

Why then should we forsake the actual dates that God has ordained in place of pagan holy days/holidays ordained of wicked men?
Live4Him I agree with you fully about this! As Christians we don`t celebrate pagan holidays like Christmas and Easter, Halloween...

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
Made up human-tradition word.

Pascha = Passover.
Passover = Passover
It just so happened that the one who invented English Passover for the Greek "pascha" has the same meaning as "Easter". The Hebrew pesach is left in the Greek as pascha, Latinized to have it the same as the Greek, French "pacques", Italian "pasqua" and Durch "pasen". Early English Translation of Wycliffe left it untranslated and used the word "pask or paske" not until Tyndale who used the Greek "pascha" with the same meaning as "Passover" and "Easter".

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
The only instruction the believer has, is to remember the Lords death, simple :)
No place in the bible, is the christian instructed to remember the Lords resurrection, or
Once Again, No place in the bible, is the christian instructed to remember the Lords resurrection, or
Four big paragraphs of opinion now, and not one scripture showing biblical instruction to remember the Lords resurrection, waiting? :giggle:
Third post and still no provision of scripture, showing a directive to follow remembrance of the resurrection.
I surely dont see any word (IMPLIED) being interpreted as a directive
You can personally do whatever you desire, but instruction to remember the Lords resurrection isnt biblically instructed
Says nothing about remembering the Lords resurrection, good try
Jesus Christ Gave A Directive To Remember His (Death) Not His Birth Or Resurrection.

"Remember [IMPERATIVE / COMMAND] Jesus Christ having been raised out from the dead, of the seed of David, according to my gospel [speaking of 1Cor15:1-4 and its context; a context which is zeroing in on His "RESURRECTION" as a vital component to "salvation truths"]"

--2 Timothy 2:8

[I agree with those saying He resurrected ON "Firstfruit" (Lev23:10-12 / 1Cor15:20)--and this 2Tim2 passage is stating an IMPERATIVE / COMMAND to "REMEMBER Christ having been raised out from the dead... according to my gospel" (namely, 1Cor15:1-4 and its context)... so, yes...]

[oh, and in case anyone thinks, "well, this wasn't JESUS talking...." Recall what Jesus had said in John 16:12-15 ;) ]

Not saying we only are to "remember" on only one particular day per year, but it wouldn't be false to say, especially then... ;)

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015

23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he
1 Corinthians 11:26
“For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.”​

This follows logically that this ordinance is not only showing the death but also his resurrection since the one who has died is not forever dead, but he rose from the dead and he will come. Well, that’s it “till he come” to us that he is alive forevermore.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Bible doesn't say anything about celebrating easter.

Bible doesn't say anything about eating chocolate or drinking coffee either. You pagan gnostic heathens.

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
Bible doesn't say anything about celebrating easter.

Bible doesn't say anything about eating chocolate or drinking coffee either. You pagan gnostic heathens.
Easter commemorated Christ's Ressurection which corresponds to Jewish observance of the Passover. Easter was paganized but originally it's not.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Easter commemorated Christ's Ressurection which corresponds to Jewish observance of the Passover. Easter was paganized but originally it's not.
I know, I know... but it was more fun to answer the original post in a slightly smart alec manner. ;)

John146

Jan 13, 2016
No Christ the passover doesn't mean follow the Vernal equinox, Full Moon, and the Sunday that follows is a biblically instructed day for celebration, bringing eggs, candy, and bunnies into churches
Neither does Pascha mean eggs, candy, bunnies, or some pagan worship. It means passover, and after the fulfillment of the resurrection, the NT Pascha is Easter, the resurrection of Christ.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I Corinthians chapter 5

[6] Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?
[7] Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:
[8] Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
[9] I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
[10] Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.
[11] But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
[12] For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?
[13] But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

I'm assuming that you're referring to the part of that verse that I bold-faced or that you're saying that those outside of the church will be judged by God and not by us for their actions.

That's fine, but what about the preceding verses?

I mean, surely you can recognize that "Christ our PASSOVER is sacrificed for us" in that he became the fulfillment of the Passover lamb when he was crucified ON THE FEAST OF PASSOVER.

In other words, that was GOD'S ordained holy day/holiday which foreshadowed the same.

Similarly, Christ was raised from the dead on the Feast of Firstfruits, God's ordained holy day/holiday which foreshadowed the same, and, for this precise reason, Paul twice refers to Christ as "the firstfruits of them that slept" (I Cor. 15:20) or "the firstfruits" (I Cor. 15:23)

Why then should we forsake the actual dates that God has ordained in place of pagan holy days/holidays ordained of wicked men?
Galatians 3:2-3.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
We celebrated resurrection Sunday. We had a lot of visitors. Pastor preached about the resurrection. He also made the invitation for people to accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

2 visitors accepted Christ.

Praise the Lord!

Mar 4, 2020
The bible dosent teach to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ?

The tradition followed is of pagan origin in fertility, that predates the earthly ministry of Jesus Christ, surrounding the spring vernal equinox and full moon, easter bunnies and eggs "fertility"

Why does this "Easter" tradition dste change every year, because it follows the vernal equinox, full moon, and Sunday to follow, (Pagan)

The only instruction the believer has, is to remember the Lords death, simple :)

(This Do In Remembrance Of Me)

1 Corinthians 11
26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
Easter is a Christian holiday not a pagan holiday.

I think you're attempting point out some similarities and then say they Easter intentionally promotes paganism, false gods, and celebration of the vernal equinox.

Easter is not about paganism or the moon or that would be what was openly stated that Easter is about.

While I do not celebrate Easter myself, I do believe strongly in defending what's accurate.

In conclusion, Easter is not a full moon celebration, a worship of false gods, or about fertility. If it were so then it would be openly stated.

I would also hesitate to condemn people who choose to celebrate Easter. There isn't a good reason to condemn people for using Easter as an official day to celebrate the life, death, and resurrection of our dear Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Jesus was NOT born in September. Not even close.
As a matter of fact, I am correct in that as noted below:

Bible scholars also try to time Christ’s birth by timing the birth of his cousin John according to the sparse information about Zechariah, Elizabeth, and Mary outlined in Luke. Elizabeth was six months pregnant when Mary arrived, and Mary left three months later. According to BibleInfo.com:

We can approximate the month of Jesus’ birth to be around the time of Tishri (mid to late September). To arrive at this date, start at the conception of John the Baptist, Sivan (June), count forward six months to arrive at Gabriel’s announcement of the conception of Jesus, Kislev (December), then count forward nine more months, the time it takes for human gestation, to reach Tishri (September), when Jesus was born.”

https://www.christianity.com/wiki/jesus-christ/when-was-jesus-born.html

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
You can personally do whatever you desire, but instruction to remember the Lords resurrection isnt biblically instructed
My post was meant as part of the general discussion. You directed this post to me. My reply to You,

I adamantly disagree with you're attempt to dissuade believers from celebrating all wonderful gifts:

redemption, reconciliation, complete forgiveness, righteousness, peace, joy, eternal life, to name a few. All accessed thru faith in Jesus sin atoning death & guaranteed by His RESURRECTION!

1 Cor 15:17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
(MY NOTE: No Resurrection - No Salvation

Rom 4:25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.
(MY NOTE: Christ was Resurrected for our justification)

Rom 6:9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
(MY NOTE: It's Christ's Resurrection that ensures our eternal life)

Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
(MY NOTE: Not only is Christ's Resurrection our life eternals guarantee, believing in it is a requirement, to receive it)

Again, the most important day in human history. And You, not only don't see see no reason to celebrate, You, attempt to dissuade others. Good luck with that! JJ

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
Easter is a Christian holiday not a pagan holiday.

I think you're attempting point out some similarities and then say they Easter intentionally promotes paganism, false gods, and celebration of the vernal equinox.

Easter is not about paganism or the moon or that would be what was openly stated that Easter is about.

While I do not celebrate Easter myself, I do believe strongly in defending what's accurate.

In conclusion, Easter is not a full moon celebration, a worship of false gods, or about fertility. If it were so then it would be openly stated.

I would also hesitate to condemn people who choose to celebrate Easter. There isn't a good reason to condemn people for using Easter as an official day to celebrate the life, death, and resurrection of our dear Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
I'm not condemning anyone as you falsely claim (Fake News)

It's a fact that Easter is of pagan origin that predates Jesus Christ's earthly ministry

No place in scripture is the believer instructed to follow the vernal equinox, full moon, and the sunday following

The believe is instructed to remember the Lord's (Death) not his birth or resurrection, (Simple)

26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
It's a fact that Easter is of pagan origin that predates Jesus Christ's earthly ministry

No place in scripture is the believer instructed to follow the vernal equinox, full moon, and the sunday following
Where are you getting this from? Sources?

There is no doubt that paska means Easter in modern Greek. The charge, however, is that it did not mean Easter until centuries after the composition of Acts 12:4. This is not true. In the Gospel of John there is already a distinction being made between the Christian paska and the Jewish paska. One of the words for Passover in modern Greek is paska (Passover of the Jews). We see this same phrase already in the time of John the Apostle:

John 2:13: And the Jews' passover was at hand.

John 11:55: And the Jews' passover was nigh at hand.

The fact that John writes, "Jews Pascha" indicates that there was a need to qualify the word Pascha for the immediate audience of John's Gospel. Such a phrase would be redundant unless there were already a distinction between a Jew's Pascha and another Pascha. Apparently within the first century, Christians had already appropriated the word Pascha to refer to the Christian celebration of the resurrection.

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
I'm not condemning anyone as you falsely claim (Fake News)

The believe is instructed to remember the Lord's (Death) not his birth or resurrection, (Simple)

11:26 does not ignore the resurrection, otherwise, Christ comes from the dead for us which would contradict Paul's message in 1 Cor. 15. Another ordinance which the water baptism reflects the dbr.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
The Lord thought it was so important to show what Christ does for us He had thousands of people play out a symbolic earthly acting out of Christ so we understand. Scripture devotes many verses to this explanation, and tells us to always celebrate it. Man has so objected to doing that, saying when Christ fulfilled it all that Christ put a stop to the celebration. Christ told us that He didn't do that, Christ backed up and even explained all His Father did for us.

We even make light of Passover by using ham as the accepted Easter feast, when in times past the Lord had people not consider ham food as pigs were designed to eat garbage and it symbolized feeding garbage to the mind.

I live in an assisted living facility, and it is now decorated with rabbits, ladies in new hats and eggs---in this facility's mind Christ has nothing to do with Easter, rabbits, eggs and new hats take the place of Christ.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
Where are you getting this from? Sources?

There is no doubt that paska means Easter in modern Greek. The charge, however, is that it did not mean Easter until centuries after the composition of Acts 12:4. This is not true. In the Gospel of John there is already a distinction being made between the Christian paska and the Jewish paska. One of the words for Passover in modern Greek is paska (Passover of the Jews). We see this same phrase already in the time of John the Apostle:

John 2:13: And the Jews' passover was at hand.

John 11:55: And the Jews' passover was nigh at hand.

The fact that John writes, "Jews Pascha" indicates that there was a need to qualify the word Pascha for the immediate audience of John's Gospel. Such a phrase would be redundant unless there were already a distinction between a Jew's Pascha and another Pascha. Apparently within the first century, Christians had already appropriated the word Pascha to refer to the Christian celebration of the resurrection.
According to the New Unger’s Bible Dictionary: “The word Easter is of Saxon origin, Eastra, the goddess of spring, in whose honour sacrifices were offered about Passover time each year. By the eighth century Anglo–Saxons had adopted the name to designate the celebration of Christ’s resurrection.