Eating Swine (hogs)?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

EarsToHear

Jan 14, 2016
Where in Scripture does it’s now okay to eat swine?

If you can, please document your answer.

D

Depleted

Acts 10ish

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017

Of course Scripture does not pinpoint ham or bacon as such (or even swine and hogs). But God says that now ALL MEATS are perfectly acceptable for Christians (1 Timothy 3:1-4). He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
i take it you have an "alternative interpretation" of such scripture as Matthew 7:14-23, 1 Timothy 4:4, 1 Corinthians 10:30-31, Acts 10:9-16, Romans 14:17, Romans 7:6, Romans 6:14 and, practically, the entire book of Galatians?

i'm asking because i can't figure out why else you would make this thread unless you planned to argue with anyone who presents the well-known, much discussed and well-accepted understandings of these & other passages as evidence to you.. ? or maybe you really haven't heard before, but somehow i doubt that.

Yonah

Oct 31, 2014
you are undoubtedly going to get quotes that were never in the original text and really bad misapplication of the text that wasn't added to.

Yonah

Oct 31, 2014
Acts 10 had nothing to do with food, it was a practical example of not calling unclean what the Almighty has declared clean, please read the rest of chapter 10, this is about people NOT food

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
you are undoubtedly going to get quotes that were never in the original text and really bad misapplication of the text that wasn't added to.
oh i hadn't considered that the OP might edit the Bible to accommodate a teaching of remaining under Moses' law.

thanks for pointing that out.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
in Christ, do we have less freedom, equal freedom, or more freedom than Noah?

asking for a friend, because, Genesis 9:3.

thanks

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
The dietary laws were commanded for a separation of the physical nation of Israel under the old covenant from the goys - when the OC when *poof* so did the dietary laws.

Nov 22, 2015
We are free in Christ to do as we please when it comes to eating and drinking but to also be conscious that we don't cause those that are weak in faith to stumble. Rom. 14.

I love bacon but eat it sparingly but when I do - I love every moment of it especially on "re-feed day".

Mark 7:18-20 (NASB)
[SUP]18 [/SUP] And He *said to them, "Are you so lacking in understanding also? Do you not understand that whatever goes into the man from outside cannot defile him,

[SUP]19 [/SUP] because it does not go into his heart, but into his stomach, and is eliminated?" (Thus He declared all foods clean.)

[SUP]20 [/SUP] And He was saying, "That which proceeds out of the man, that is what defiles the man.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
oh i hadn't considered that the OP might edit the Bible to accommodate a teaching of remaining under Moses' law.
excuse me, i should have said "being placed under" rather than "remaining under" -- as before He called me, i was born a gentile, having not the law of the Hebrews, but having only God's own law in my conscience, that is, knowing as well as any son of Adam the difference between right and wrong.

so technically, being held accountable to the dietary laws that God gave to the nation Israel would be an entirely "
new" thing -- if your doctrine is that becoming a Christian places you under the burden of the Law. that is to say, if anyone is teaching that placing my faith in Christ means i can no longer eat bacon with thankfulness, because, obviously, never having been born to a tribe of Israel, before He revealed Himself to me, i could eat bacon freely. so if anyone's gospel is that i cannot now eat bacon, it would be because Christ has placed the burden of the Law on me, rather than removed it.

Yonah

Oct 31, 2014

asking for a friend, because, Genesis 9:3

thanks
its is the TRUTH that makes us free, not mans opinion, (Pro 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.)

D

Depleted

Whoa! And I had that weird, unacceptable thought on BDF. I just thought he forgot where it was and was hoping someone would tell him!

How crazy is that thought!

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Whoa! And I had that weird, unacceptable thought on BDF. I just thought he forgot where it was and was hoping someone would tell him!

How crazy is that thought!

no way Lynn. how could we justifiably go straight to bickering and fruitless argument if someone has a genuine question?
you know that's not how this works

;)

bwahahaha!

Dec 9, 2011

:)Just In case you really wanted to know what scripture says, I copy/pasted
Romans 14:1-2
King James Version(KJV)

1.) Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, [but] not to doubtful disputations.

2.) For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013

asking for a friend, because, Genesis 9:3.

thanks
its is the TRUTH that makes us free, not mans opinion, (Pro 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.)
the truth is that if the Son sets you free, you shall be free indeed -- which sounds like to me, right?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I love bacon but eat it sparingly but when I do - I love every moment of it especially on "re-feed day".
Just keep some soy bacon on hand for those who object to swine and hogs. ;)

And then we have the vegans and the vegetarians who forget that those poor plants are in pain when they get chewed.

This is such a non-issue yet keeps cropping up on Christian forums. The Lord already told us that it is not what goes inside the stomach which defiles the man but what comes out of his heart.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
(Pro 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.)
;) would that be one of these:

really bad misapplication of the text
Proverbs 14:12 is one of those verses that people tend to quote anywhere, anytime, as though to justify literally anything they say. you can just append it to any statement, with the implication that what you say is true, and what the person you're talking to says is "a way that seemeth right"

but it's pretty double edged, don't you think?
because what you say, i bet, "
seemeth right" to you, doesn't it?

in the end then, for the vast majority of cases i've seen, it doesn't lend any credence to what it's quoted with after all.

[HR][/HR][HR][/HR]
what i believe is generally far more applicable to instances of Proverbs 14:12 being quoted is another adage, Proverbs 18:17

The one who states his case first seems right,
until the other comes and examines him.

Nov 22, 2015
Just keep some soy bacon on hand for those who object to swine and hogs. ;)

And then we have the vegans and the vegetarians who forget that those poor plants are in pain when they get chewed/

What? You want me to use "false bacon" on re-feed day?....blasphemy...lol

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Leviticus 11

7 And the pig, though it has a divided hoof, does not chew the cud; it is unclean for you