Encourage vs attack

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

EleventhHour

I agree that we see a complete range of peculiar viewpoints here. And sometimes to me it looks like everyone is pushing their particular sect or religious dogma rather than genuinely discussing the bible. And we must be careful not to accept heresies.

But perhaps we should be more discerning and less angry?

Why is someone typified as angry for defending truth?

E

EleventhHour

I disagree....and it is pure ignorance to believe, say or think that a claim of Christianity = Christian and or that most hold the truth.....this site is full of people that devalue Jesus, his truth, his promises, claim to be sinless, self saving, cultish beliefs (Calvinists) and more religious creeds than Ben and Jerry's ice cream flavors........and to OPPOSE ERROR is not to be fighting SOMEONE, BUT RATHER a dogma.....!!
Amen!

I cannot understand why when as one stands up to false dogma we are angry.
It is not a personal anger against the person but against the false dogma they peddle that both diminishes Jesus and as at the same times blinds the mind of those less discerning.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
I agree that we see a complete range of peculiar viewpoints here. And sometimes to me it looks like everyone is pushing their particular sect or religious dogma rather than genuinely discussing the bible. And we must be careful not to accept heresies.

Your right , I mean who wants to listen to anyone with anger in their voice unless that anger has a righteousness about it as our Lord when He turned over the tables...
...xox...

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I disagree....and it is pure ignorance to believe, say or think that a claim of Christianity = Christian and or that most hold the truth.....this site is full of people that devalue Jesus, his truth, his promises, claim to be sinless, self saving, cultish beliefs (Calvinists) and more religious creeds than Ben and Jerry's ice cream flavors........and to OPPOSE ERROR is not to be fighting SOMEONE, BUT RATHER a dogma.....!!
Here is my personal experience with posters on this site. When I bring up a point that scripture makes it is not read as pointing to scripture but I get posts accusing me of claiming to be sinless. These accusers of me, personally, is based on my reporting scripture. I can back this up with copies of postings.

You are accusing posters of lots of things without a bit of proof and frankly I don't agree with your accusations. There are lots of genuine bible students, saintly Christians on this site. They have led me to real learning as I check what they say with scripture.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Your right , I mean who wants to listen to anyone with anger in their voice unless that anger has a righteousness about it as our Lord when He turned over the tables...
...xox...
Or something like this from 'sweet lovable Jesus'. :)

Matthew 23:13-19,23-27,29,33 KJV
[13] But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in. [14] Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation. [15] Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves. [16] Woe unto you, ye blind guides, which say, Whosoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear by the gold of the temple, he is a debtor! [17] Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gold, or the temple that sanctifieth the gold? [18] And, Whosoever shall swear by the altar, it is nothing; but whosoever sweareth by the gift that is upon it, he is guilty. [19] Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gift, or the altar that sanctifieth the gift? [23] Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. [24] Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel. [25] Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess. [26] Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also. [27] Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness. [29] Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous, [33] Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?

E

EleventhHour

[13] But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in. [14] Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation. [15] Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves. [16] Woe unto you, ye blind guides, which say, Whosoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear by the gold of the temple, he is a debtor! [17] Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gold, or the temple that sanctifieth the gold? [18] And, Whosoever shall swear by the altar, it is nothing; but whosoever sweareth by the gift that is upon it, he is guilty. [19] Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gift, or the altar that sanctifieth the gift? [23] Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. [24] Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel. [25] Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess. [26] Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also. [27] Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness. [29] Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous, [33] Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?
And.......I am sure Jesus was not about tolerating "peculiar viewpoints"

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014

Cannot count the number of times when I want to support and like a post, especially when a winner Scripture is posted that really proves the matter. But I cannot do that! Because often with it, there is name calling attached, or something alike...

It's so sad to watch and know you can do nothing, because (on both sides) people don't want to stop. It's not only bad for the message that is being discussed, but it also drives friends apart. So many people who were always friends, are not friends anymore. It's devastating, watching friends drift apart, and you can't stop it.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017

I agree , a righteous anger...
...xox...

Mar 28, 2016
Because attacking is the norm here. Has been for a long time. From both sides.
Sparks are necessary. Be careful getting to close, those sparklers can burn .Then there is always the lukewarm, resting.

Fire works like faith . No fire no works

Reborn

Nov 16, 2014
Cannot count the number of times when I want to support and like a post, especially when a winner Scripture is posted that really proves the matter. But I cannot do that! Because often with it, there is name calling attached, or something alike...

It's so sad to watch and know you can do nothing, because (on both sides) people don't want to stop. It's not only bad for the message that is being discussed, but it also drives friends apart. So many people who were always friends, are not friends anymore. It's devastating, watching friends drift apart, and you can't stop it.

Hit that like button, SW.
Do it.

Standing up for others, what we feel is right and what we truly believe may be the only thing that is 100% us.

We own that.

It will never go away and will most likely pick at us when we are alone with our thoughts.
IMO, letting others get to us or dictate our actions/inactions is what keeps us from truly growing.

Imagine if history went different and Jesus said “man, in retrospect, I really wish l would have done that whole cross thing...maybe....maybe....it would have helped someone out?”

(My apologies, that was a extreme example...but l think you can dig it.)

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
Do it.

Standing up for others, what we feel is right and what we truly believe may be the only thing that is 100% us.

We own that.

It will never go away and will most likely pick at us when we are alone with our thoughts.
IMO, letting others get to us or dictate our actions/inactions is what keeps us from truly growing.

Imagine if history went different and Jesus said “man, in retrospect, I really wish l would have done that whole cross thing...maybe....maybe....it would have helped someone out?”

We all have to do as we're convicted to do. It may even be different things for different people sometimes. What is important is that our own conscience doesn't condemn us, no lying will be possible during judgment before God.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
Do it.

We own that.

And, welcome back, bro. Good to see you again on the forums!

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
We are to judge what is sin and what is not, but if we attack the person promoting what is they think of as against scripture it is considered a personal attack, instead of a scripture discussion.

It goes both ways, to both the ones pointing out their scripture interpretation and to those who those opposed to the scripture interpretation. They often turn it into personal attacks, instead of a scripture discussion. It turns this wonderful site into a way to commit sin instead of a place to discuss scripture.
Amen to that.

Reborn

Nov 16, 2014
We all have to do as we're convicted to do. It may even be different things for different people sometimes. What is important is that our own conscience doesn't condemn us, no lying will be possible during judgment before God.
Indeed, my dear friend.
You do you.

You stated that you have wanted to chime in but may have held back due to fear of ridicule, or an attack from those who seem to like to...well, attack others all the time? I respect that.
l understand that not everyone feels compelled to stand up or dive in, (for various personal reasons) while others are just more of a more gentle soul, hating confrontation.

I believe standing up for those who have fallen or are getting beaten on sometimes takes courage deep within us that usually ends bad and who wants that? ( I am guilty of lacking courage many, many times)
We just need to find it.

But if it’s on your mind...picking at ya....then it must be conviction?
Maybe? IDK...Don’t sell yourself short tho, I’ve seen you jump in many times in the past.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
Indeed, my dear friend.
You do you.

You stated that you have wanted to chime in but may have held back due to fear of ridicule, or an attack from those who seem to like to...well, attack others all the time? I respect that.
l understand that not everyone feels compelled to stand up or dive in, (for various personal reasons) while others are just more of a more gentle soul, hating confrontation.

I believe standing up for those who have fallen or are getting beaten on sometimes takes courage deep within us that usually ends bad and who wants that? ( I am guilty of lacking courage many, many times)
We just need to find it.

But if it’s on your mind...picking at ya....then it must be conviction?
Maybe? IDK...Don’t sell yourself short tho, I’ve seen you jump in many times in the past.
Ohhh I see now...
You misunderstood me... I was saying something opposite - that sometimes people are doctrinally telling the truth, which I'd love to support, but they ruin what could have been a beautiful post with name calling and bickering, which I do not like and cannot support. And I find that a bit frustrating.
So, I was not doing people stuff I am saying I am/was doing according to my conviction in that area. Pretty sure I lost a few friends over that because things get cliquey and people divide into us vs them on certain subjects, and get angry when they do not feel supported, and I was surely declared lukewarm by some over this. But I gotta do what I gotta do.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
I think what Lucy - is saying is that if we have a disagreement on the interpretation of a scripture, we should defend our interpretation by calmly and respectfully, comparing scripture to scripture to see if our interpretation harmonizes with the other scriptures, instead of spewing out degrading names, and accusations for the purpose of belittling someone.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018

I like your attitude. Wish we all could strive to attain it.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Why is someone typified as angry for defending truth?
Harmonizing the scriptures, with respect to how they think the scriptures should be interpreted. Scripture will prove scripture by the revelation of the indwelling Holy Spirit, if we deny our own entelect, in our indiever to find the truths of the scriptures.