Eve's Purpose

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
Gen 2:18 . .The Lord God said: It's not good for Adam to be solitary; I will make a fitting helper for him.

"fitting helper" is from two Hebrew words.

"Fitting" is from neged (neh'-ghed) which means: a front, i.e. part opposite; specifically a counterpart, or mate.

The word for "helper" is from 'ezer (ay'-zer) which means: aid.

Note that aid isn't spelled with an "e" as in aide; so that Eve wasn't meant to be the man's Girl Friday, rather; someone to strengthen him. In other words: woman's true role is a supporting role rather than a starring role.

I suspect that Adam didn't really have it all that easy in his world, and that Eve's companionship made his life a lot more tolerable and worth the living. The companion that God made for Adam was both his counterpart, and his crutch. In other words: wives are really at their best when they strengthen their men to go out that door and face the big, bad, mean world.

Woman's potential for companionship is the primary reason that God made her— not for her sex appeal nor for her reproductive value; no, for a man's companionship; which is commonly expressed by cordiality, friendliness, friendship, goodwill, kindness, civility, concord, harmony, rapport, charity, generosity, compassion, empathy, sympathy, chumminess, intimacy, affection, devotion, loyalty, fondness, and love.

From all that, I think we can safely conclude that a woman who tears her man down instead of building him up is a broken woman; i.e. maladjusted and out of sync with her maker.

NOTE: According to Dr. Laura Schlessinger, one of the ten stupid things that men do to mess up their lives is to try and fix a broken woman.
_

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I suspect that Adam didn't really have it all that easy in his world, and that Eve's companionship made his life a lot more tolerable and worth the living.
really?
without fault, garden of Eden, walking with God?
"
not all that easy" ?
his life not "
tolerable" and not "worth the living" ??

it's easy to look at broken mankind today under the curse and under sin and think 'o i need my wife because i can't keep track of where i've left my shoes' -- and then to project that onto Adam. but i think the immediate question of why Adam needed anything or anyone - having the presence of God and living in His garden in the "very good" creation unblemished by transgression and curse. Adam, at this time completely without sin, the only human being ever to not be deceived by Satan, needed a "crutch" ? hmm.. i'm not convinced.

what does God mean, not good for the man to be alone? alone? is God not with him?
there's something a lot more profound here, i suspect.

7seasrekeyed

I get this picture of words jumping off a cliff

like lemmings

and also there is no air in this thread

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
The Bible tells us when a couple marries the two become one. They're equals. They help each other to sustain one another where one is weak, the other fills that void.
It isn't slavery. It is a marriage.

Mar 23, 2016
I believe each spouse is to endeavor to bring out the best in the other.

My husband and I both tried to help each other. I found that areas in which I was weak, my husband was strong and was able to help me, and support me, and assist in my growing. And vice versa.

And we should forget the notion that in a marriage each is to give 50/50. Each should give 100/100 (if possible). I've heard some say 90/90 because it's really difficult to give 100% all the time.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
I suspect that Adam didn't really have it all that easy in his world

Though the garden's vegetation was already in the ground before Adam got
there, the task of nurturing it was his responsibility. (Gen 2:15)

Eve's companionship made his life a lot more tolerable and worth the living

Adam had no indoor plumbing, no bathroom tissue, no running water, no
soap, no towels, no comb, no hair brush, no tooth paste, no toothbrush, no
floss; no mattress, no pillows, no box spring, no blankets and no sheets.

Plus; nothing we think of as entertainment existed in his day-- not even a
book, a newspaper, a crossword puzzle, or a deck of cards.

Adam's life lacked fulfillment-- it was dull; it was monotonous, it was boring,
and it was drudgery; and while Adam was taking care of the garden, there
was no one taking care of him until Eve came into his life.
_

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I have noticed with Webers.Home is that he does not respond to others' comments. Sadly, it seems that he isn't here to discuss anything, but only to share his own personal views on Scripture.

I have taken issue with other posts of his, without any response. I am inclined to do so with this one. However, until he takes everyone off "Ignore", there is little point.

For the benefit of others, I encourage you not to accept at face value Webers.Home's commentary on "ezer". Do your own homework on the word; find out where else it is used in Scripture, and of whom. You may conclude with a very different insight into Eve's "role" than what the OP presents.

M

Miri

Though the garden's vegetation was already in the ground before Adam got
there, the task of nurturing it was his responsibility. (Gen 2:15)

_

Actually that is incorrect, God was taking care of Him, but even God acknowledged that
wasnt enough, hence Eve.

We are created in the image of God,
God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are equal and in perfect fellowship.

We are created to have fellowship with God, but we also need fellowship and unity
with each other. A husband and wife should be the epitome of that close
human fellowship.

Unfortunately all the obsession and nit picking about women is just
serving to drive a wedge of disharmony into this fellowship.
Because be honest, genuine Christians come here seeking fellowship
don’t they.

Shame on people who come on here trying to drive a wedge between
men and women.

I’ve seen absolutely nothing in any of your posts or threads started
which seeks to have fellowship, glorifies God, spreads the gospel or
encourages your brothers and sisters in Christ.

You really need to exam yourself and ask who is behind your
manipulative thoughts and schemes.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
Gen 2:24 . . A man shall leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.

The "one flesh" thing was still valid in Christ's day (Matt 19:5-6).

That being the case; then I think it's safe to assume that Eve's support role (Gen 2:18) was still valid in Christ's day too.

FYI: Jesus' support base consisted of a number of women (Mark 15:40-41, Luke 8:2-3). To my knowledge; no men are mentioned in Jesus' support base except for the two guys that buried him.
_

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Eve provided these things??

walking with God in paradise just gets boring i guess.
you sure you want to go to heaven?

no one taking care of him?
seriously?

walking with God in paradise = dull, monotonous drudgery?
and you're sure you want to go to heaven?
there will be no marriage or giving in marriage there, you know.

L

LPT

Gen 2:18 . .The Lord God said: It's not good for Adam to be solitary; I will make a fitting helper for him.

"fitting helper" is from two Hebrew words.

"Fitting" is from neged (neh'-ghed) which means: a front, i.e. part opposite; specifically a counterpart, or mate.

The word for "helper" is from 'ezer (ay'-zer) which means: aid.

Note that aid isn't spelled with an "e" as in aide; so that Eve wasn't meant to be the man's Girl Friday, rather; someone to strengthen him. In other words: woman's true role is a supporting role rather than a starring role.

I suspect that Adam didn't really have it all that easy in his world, and that Eve's companionship made his life a lot more tolerable and worth the living. The companion that God made for Adam was both his counterpart, and his crutch. In other words: wives are really at their best when they strengthen their men to go out that door and face the big, bad, mean world.

Woman's potential for companionship is the primary reason that God made her— not for her sex appeal nor for her reproductive value; no, for a man's companionship; which is commonly expressed by cordiality, friendliness, friendship, goodwill, kindness, civility, concord, harmony, rapport, charity, generosity, compassion, empathy, sympathy, chumminess, intimacy, affection, devotion, loyalty, fondness, and love.

From all that, I think we can safely conclude that a woman who tears her man down instead of building him up is a broken woman; i.e. maladjusted and out of sync with her maker.

NOTE: According to Dr. Laura Schlessinger, one of the ten stupid things that men do to mess up their lives is to try and fix a broken woman.
_
Hmm did a woman leave a bad taste in your mouth?

L

LPT

After they got booted out of Edin things sure did changed.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
Webers, when are you going to start a thread about Adam’s purpose or the “biblical perspective” of a Christian man’s role?

proverbs35

Nov 10, 2012
Webers, when are you going to start a thread about Adam’s purpose or the “biblical perspective” of a Christian man’s role?
Hi Melita916,

I'm thinking about starting a thread on the man's role according to the Bible. Not sure yet though. Just kicking the idea around in my head. You know how strange and snarky the bdf can get, although I wouldn't mind participating in a civil discussion on the man's role. I also think that we need to have some discussion on the man's role to add balance. There are countless posts about women's duties, but little to none about men's duties.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
Hi Melita916,

I'm thinking about starting a thread on the man's role according to the Bible. Not sure yet though. Just kicking the idea around in my head. You know how strange and snarky the bdf can get, although I wouldn't mind participating in a civil discussion on the man's role. I also think that we need to have some discussion on the man's role to add balance. There are countless posts about women's duties, but little to none about men's duties.
I wondered what would happen if a woman started that thread. I know several men here would cordially participate. But part of me believes some men won’t even bother. And then I wonder if some will say, “ womanz! Who are you to tell ME what my role izzzzz???” Lol.

proverbs35

Nov 10, 2012
I wondered what would happen if a woman started that thread. I know several men here would cordially participate. But part of me believes some men won’t even bother. And then I wonder if some will say, “ womanz! Who are you to tell ME what my role izzzzz???” Lol.
Sure there will be those. However, I'm much more interested in those men and women who want to have a civil discussion about the subject matter. I would have to put the others on ignore; they really don't bring anything meaningful to the discussion anyway.

My other consideration is time. I have a bit of extra time today and maybe tomorrow. During the week my schedule is generally full, so it would possibly be a few days before I could participate in the discussion again. That's why I typically don't start a lot of threads.

L

LPT

Men and Women are to be spouses, companions, best friends, scratch each other's backs when there's a itch one can't reach the other helps.

Sometimes it's nessecessary that women take the lead when there is no men who can take that lead, Debra is a prime example of a woman taking the lead over a man. Jezebel is another how cowardly was who in that story?