Faith vs. presumption

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

arthurfleminger

Aug 18, 2021
Phl 1:6, Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Rom 11:20, Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
Rom 11:21, For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
Rom 11:22, Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

Heb 11:29, By faith they passed through the Red sea as by dry land: which the Egyptians assaying to do were drowned.

In Philippians 1:6, we find that there is a faith that we can have, that translates into a confidence that He who began a good work in us will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.

While in Romans 11:20-22, we are told not to be highminded but to fear; because there were those who fell because of unbelief and if we do not continue in His goodness, we also will be cut off.

What is the difference between being confident in the Lord that He will complete His work in you and being highminded about your position in Christ?

In Hebrews 11:29, the Israelites passed through the sea as by dry land through faith; while the Egyptians assaying to do were drowned.

The Israelites had faith; while the Egyptians presumptuously assumed that because the Israelites did it, so could they.

The Egyptians were confident in themselves while the confidence of the Israelites was in the Lord.

There are those who presumptuously assume that verses in the Bible that are about eternal security apply to them; but they do not realize that such verses do not apply to them unless they are of the kind to heed the warnings against falling away.

In Hebrews 6, near the end of the chapter, it is written that we have this hope as an anchor of the soul, who have fled for refuge to lay hold of the hope set before us.

If you have not fled to the Lord for refuge, then do not presume that He is going to keep your soul when the going gets rough.

It is set forth that faith in Jesus means, to a certain extent, holding on.

Act 11:22, Then tidings of these things came unto the ears of the church which was in Jerusalem: and they sent forth Barnabas, that he should go as far as Antioch.
Act 11:23, Who, when he came, and had seen the grace of God, was glad, and exhorted them all, that with purpose of heart they would cleave unto the Lord.

Barnabas encourage the church in Antioch to cleave unto the Lord.

This means that they would seek to become one with Jesus and would hold on to Him tightly.

This is what it means to have faith in Jesus.

There are some who think that they have bought fire insurance by believing certain promises which do not apply to them.

For this is what Jesus said,

Mat 7:21, Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22, Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23, And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Is Jesus here pronouncing salvation by works?

No, he is telling us that if anyone is truly born again, they will have a changed heart and that this will result in them doing the will of the Father.
For Christians, it has to be a 'Living Faith', that is a faith that exemplifies itself with love of God and neighbor. St Paul tells us that faith that does not evoke love is worthless:

1 Corinthians 13:2 – if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. – 1 Corinthians 13:2 (NIV)

At the Last Supper, Jesus gave His Apostles a new commandment, "Love one another as I have loved you'. These type teachings are part of the Christian faith. Faith in Jesus is believing in what He taught and not just believing He is our Savior God.

So, faith is not just believing a set of facts and, by doing so, presuming you are saved. If you have a true and living faith, you will be transfigured into a new creation in Jesus. Jesus will abide in you and you in Him. And Jesus will set the Holy Spirit upon you. And, as all Christians believe, Gpd is love.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
At the Last Supper, Jesus gave His Apostles a new commandment, "Love one another as I have loved you'. These type teachings are part of the Christian faith. Faith in Jesus is believing in what He taught and not just believing He is our Savior God.

So, faith is not just believing a set of facts and, by doing so, presuming you are saved.
Faith is assurance of things not seen (Hebrews 11:1). If you're talking generally about the Christian faith, you're talking about the full gamut of Christian doctrine and practice. In other words, you're engaging in equivocation; using a word in two different senses while implying or asserting that they are the same thing. It is a common tactic of atheists, who string along Christians to accept 'evolution' in the sense of "change with respect to time" and then claim that it also means "goo to you through the zoo".