False teachers.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

pottersclay

Joseph Smith actually stole a manuscript from a guy named Solomon Spalding. Smith was a crook and a thief as well as a conman.

He even said in his notes that he didn't know if he was dreaming or not...so I heard. Tax evasion I heard also.
I'm in New York Palmyra area. Lots of history...town owned by Mormons.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
In the beginning I started watching christian TV. BIG MISTAKE. At the time I didn't know the difference between catholic and baptist (no seriously, I thought all churches taught the same thing, others just had different looking churches) and I believed everyone preaching was always preaching the truth.

I listened to the usual heretics like Joyce Meyer etc. The popular TV phony preachers prosperity gospel people.
I got out of it by reading the Bible, simple as that. I realized wow these guys dont know anything about the scriptures, and are just quoting scriptures out of context here and there and are in fact NEVER preaching the word. They take one verse and add their own stories and parables to it and call it a sermon. Its usually a short sermon about how great you are and how much God loves you and how you can never out sin God's grace and how God has a wonderful plan for your life and wants you to prosper. Basically the usual newage garbage that they spout in the apostate churches. Nothing about repentance or living right or doctrine or any of that

After that experience I heard from a REAL preacher a good word: he said that the devil runs all the TV networks, so why would the devil let a real man of God on TV to preach? That is why everytime you see christians in the media they bring in some phony like the Pope or some radicals like the westboro baptist church to represent christians, to make christians look as bad as possible.

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
The devil is referred to as "the prince of the power of the air" in Ephesians 2:2, "the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience."

Praise God is doesn't end there on that sad note . . .

"Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved. And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them" (Ephesians 2:3-10).

My, but how those that think they are working their way into heaven can brag about it!

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
It's the falsetto ones I have problems listening to.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
I was raised in the Roman Catholic Church, but eventually, through studying God’s Word and calling on the name of the Lord, I came to saving knowledge of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Praise God! :)

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
My, but how those that think they are working their way into heaven can brag about it!
Nobody is going to heaven. That is not scriptural. Show me a post where someone is bragging of their works. Show me a post where someone says they are saved by their works. I'll bet you can't find one. You speak hearsay.

thumbs-down-smiley-emoticon.gif

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Here's a test, the Roman soldiers placed three robes on Jesus, blue, purple and scarlet am I a false teacher?
You sounds more like a good fantasy writer.:D

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Does anyone have the experience of being caught up with false teachers and teachings?
How did you get out of that and how common is that?
I have been looking into this and reading books on it if anyone has questions.
What false cult have you been in? Which teachers? It might be just someone with some side issues, or it might be they do not believe the basics of the faith. Like Jesus who died and was resurrected, or salvation by grace.

I do believe reading the Bible, in a modern version, daily, is so important. I started when I was saved with 3 OT chapters and 1 NT chapter a day, and that got me through the Bible in a year. I also read it in other langauges, in parallel Bibles, and for OT and NT survey in seminary, I did once sitting readings of most of the books of the Bible. Although Psalms and some of the prophets took a bit longer. I also read the Psalms daily, and have ever since the early 2000s, when God brought me out of a severe depression, by telling me to read 5 Psalms a day. I did that for 2 years, and it really healed my soul.

Looking forward to hearing your response, Madeline!

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Here's a test, the Roman soldiers placed three robes on Jesus, blue, purple and scarlet am I a false teacher?
Well, definitely not blue! And definitely not three robes. One robe, of suggestible colour. Here is a good commentary on it.

https://carm.org/jesus-robe-scarlet-purple

Another website says both purple or scarlet. Depending upon how your eyes perceive it, and the lighting, whether the robe was new and brightly died, or faded. Another possibilty is very simple. Colour blindness. My father and one son are colour blind, in the red-black realm. I remember my father thinking black was red, and one time a black sports car drove by us, and he commented on that lovely "red" sports car. I am a colour blind carrier, and I have difficulties distinguishing colours in the red zone. Not like my son or my father, but enough I used to argue about colours, and then wonder why everyone else was saying the carpet was red, when it was obviously orange. When I learned about colour blind carriers, after my son was born, I stopped arguing! LOL

Here is what another website says:

"All would agree that we oftentimes see colors a little differently. What one person calls blue, someone else may be more specific and call navy blue. A die-hard football fan may refer to his team’s color as dark red, whereas someone else who sees the team’s faded uniforms for the first time at the end of a grueling season may conclude that the team’s color is more maroon. While coloring pictures for their parents, one child may color an orange-yellow Sun, while the other draws a Sun that is bright yellow. Surely no one would accuse these individuals of lying or being deceitful because one was more specific than another. Likewise, skeptics have no solid ground on which to stand when they disregard common sense and create biblical contradictions that do not exist. The simple fact is, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John wrote from different perspectives; they did not participate in collusion. The same way that individuals today look at colors and see different tones, shades, and tints, the Gospel writers saw the activities surrounding the life of Jesus from different angles.

The garment placed upon Jesus after his brutal scourging likely was similar to the faded football uniforms mentioned above, but in His case we read of “a scarlet robe...faded to resemble purple” (The Wycliffe Bible Commentary). [It is difficult to imagine Pilate arraying Jesus’ bloody body with a new robe. More likely it was one that had been worn and cast off as useless (Barnes).] According to A.T. Robertson, there were various shades of purple and scarlet in the first century and it was not easy to distinguish the colors or tints (1997). In fact, the ancients (especially the Romans) used the term purple when speaking of various shades of red (McGarvey, 1875, p. 361; Barnes, 1997). Consequently, these different colors sometimes would be called by the same name.

As one can see, there is no discrepancy in the Gospel narratives concerning the color of the robe Jesus wore. Just like others of their day, the Gospel writers simply used the terms scarlet and purple interchangeably."

https://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=6&article=300

Madeline

Sep 25, 2018
What false cult have you been in? Which teachers? It might be just someone with some side issues, or it might be they do not believe the basics of the faith. Like Jesus who died and was resurrected, or salvation by grace.

I do believe reading the Bible, in a modern version, daily, is so important. I started when I was saved with 3 OT chapters and 1 NT chapter a day, and that got me through the Bible in a year. I also read it in other langauges, in parallel Bibles, and for OT and NT survey in seminary, I did once sitting readings of most of the books of the Bible. Although Psalms and some of the prophets took a bit longer. I also read the Psalms daily, and have ever since the early 2000s, when God brought me out of a severe depression, by telling me to read 5 Psalms a day. I did that for 2 years, and it really healed my soul.

Looking forward to hearing your response, Madeline!

I haven't really been in one. When I was younger I really didn't know the difference between the true and false teachers. I know people who are sympathetic and follow some of the false teachers in the New Apostolic Reformation and have talked to them about it a little. The problem I have with the New Apostolic Reformation is that they take secondary issues and use them to twist and change the primary issues. I don't really have a problem with Charismatics because they don't really do this. But just because the secondary issues are not primary it doesn't mean we should ignore them or not seek the truth.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Now that you have totally confused me on color, I would just say a robe. I blieve it iwas purple.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
There
I haven't really been in one. When I was younger I really didn't know the difference between the true and false teachers. I know people who are sympathetic and follow some of the false teachers in the New Apostolic Reformation and have talked to them about it a little. The problem I have with the New Apostolic Reformation is that they take secondary issues and use them to twist and change the primary issues. I don't really have a problem with Charismatics because they don't really do this. But just because the secondary issues are not primary it doesn't mean we should ignore them or not seek the truth.

There is a woman on this site, 7keysrekeyed, who had a lot to do with NAR and thinks they are a terrible cult. She has given me links in the past, and NAR is a real cult. I hope you will go totally away from it. And it is not just about side issues either. They are pure cult, as in they lead you to salvation through them, not God!

Here are some links for you to read:

https://bereanresearch.org/dominionism-nar/

https://thenarrowingpath.com/2017/0...g-the-new-apostolic-reformation-nar-movement/

https://www.gotquestions.org/New-Apostolic-Reformation.html

There are many more links. Google "New Apostolic Reformation - Heresy, Bible" and you will have a vast number to choose from. I am convinced that it is a cult, regardless of it using Bible verses. That is one thing Christian cults tend to do - they use Bible verses out of context, or take those verses where the authors never meant them to go!

We can talk more about specifics, if you want. And I do appreciate you responding to my question!

Madeline

Sep 25, 2018
There

There is a woman on this site, 7keysrekeyed, who had a lot to do with NAR and thinks they are a terrible cult. She has given me links in the past, and NAR is a real cult. I hope you will go totally away from it. And it is not just about side issues either. They are pure cult, as in they lead you to salvation through them, not God!

Here are some links for you to read:

https://bereanresearch.org/dominionism-nar/

https://thenarrowingpath.com/2017/0...g-the-new-apostolic-reformation-nar-movement/

https://www.gotquestions.org/New-Apostolic-Reformation.html

There are many more links. Google "New Apostolic Reformation - Heresy, Bible" and you will have a vast number to choose from. I am convinced that it is a cult, regardless of it using Bible verses. That is one thing Christian cults tend to do - they use Bible verses out of context, or take those verses where the authors never meant them to go!

We can talk more about specifics, if you want. And I do appreciate you responding to my question!

Your welcome. Thanks for those sites. I have read some books on the NAR. The best one was Defining Deception by Costi Hinn (Benny Hinn's nephew.) They talk a lot about Bethel Church. I also listen to Wretched Radio. I really like Todd Friel.

L

LPT

Well, definitely not blue! And definitely not three robes. One robe, of suggestible colour. Here is a good commentary on it.

https://carm.org/jesus-robe-scarlet-purple

Another website says both purple or scarlet. Depending upon how your eyes perceive it, and the lighting, whether the robe was new and brightly died, or faded. Another possibilty is very simple. Colour blindness. My father and one son are colour blind, in the red-black realm. I remember my father thinking black was red, and one time a black sports car drove by us, and he commented on that lovely "red" sports car. I am a colour blind carrier, and I have difficulties distinguishing colours in the red zone. Not like my son or my father, but enough I used to argue about colours, and then wonder why everyone else was saying the carpet was red, when it was obviously orange. When I learned about colour blind carriers, after my son was born, I stopped arguing! LOL

Here is what another website says:

"All would agree that we oftentimes see colors a little differently. What one person calls blue, someone else may be more specific and call navy blue. A die-hard football fan may refer to his team’s color as dark red, whereas someone else who sees the team’s faded uniforms for the first time at the end of a grueling season may conclude that the team’s color is more maroon. While coloring pictures for their parents, one child may color an orange-yellow Sun, while the other draws a Sun that is bright yellow. Surely no one would accuse these individuals of lying or being deceitful because one was more specific than another. Likewise, skeptics have no solid ground on which to stand when they disregard common sense and create biblical contradictions that do not exist. The simple fact is, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John wrote from different perspectives; they did not participate in collusion. The same way that individuals today look at colors and see different tones, shades, and tints, the Gospel writers saw the activities surrounding the life of Jesus from different angles.

The garment placed upon Jesus after his brutal scourging likely was similar to the faded football uniforms mentioned above, but in His case we read of “a scarlet robe...faded to resemble purple” (The Wycliffe Bible Commentary). [It is difficult to imagine Pilate arraying Jesus’ bloody body with a new robe. More likely it was one that had been worn and cast off as useless (Barnes).] According to A.T. Robertson, there were various shades of purple and scarlet in the first century and it was not easy to distinguish the colors or tints (1997). In fact, the ancients (especially the Romans) used the term purple when speaking of various shades of red (McGarvey, 1875, p. 361; Barnes, 1997). Consequently, these different colors sometimes would be called by the same name.

As one can see, there is no discrepancy in the Gospel narratives concerning the color of the robe Jesus wore. Just like others of their day, the Gospel writers simply used the terms scarlet and purple interchangeably."

https://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=6&article=300
Thank you for your opinion, I know what I know because I am who I am.

L

LPT

There is no color blindness or a mix of colors that was instructed to place on the tabernacle were blue purple and scarlet before Jesus was on earth and during His time was still on the tabernacle and Like the clothes the soldiers tore into four pieces so was the account.

Lk23:5 But they insisted, "He stirs up the people all over Judea by his teaching. He started in Galilee and has come all the way here."
Lk23:6 On hearing this, Pilate asked if the man was a Galilean.
Lk23:7 When he learned that Jesus was under Herod's jurisdiction, he sent him to Herod, who was also in Jerusalem at that time.
Lk23:8 When Herod saw Jesus, he was greatly pleased, because for a long time he had been wanting to see him. From what he had heard about him, he hoped to see him perform some miracle.
Lk23:9 He plied him with many questions, but Jesus gave him no answer.
Lk23:10 The chief priests and the teachers of the law were standing there, vehemently accusing him.

Lk23:11 Then Herod and his soldiers ridiculed and mocked him. Dressing him in an elegant robe, they sent him back to Pilate.

Lk23:12 That day Herod and Pilate became friends before this they had been enemies.
Lk23:13 Pilate called together the chief priests, the rulers and the people,
Lk22:66 At daybreak the council of the elders of the people, both the chief priests and teachers of the law, met together, and Jesus was led before them.
Lk23:20 Wanting to release Jesus, Pilate appealed to them again.
Jh18:39 But it is your custom for me to release to you one prisoner at the time of the Passover. Do you want me to release `the king of the Jews'?"
Lk23:14 and said to them, "You brought me this man as one who was inciting the people to rebellion. I have examined him in your presence and have found no basis for your charges against him.
Lk23:15 Neither has Herod, for he sent him back to us; as you can see, he has done nothing to deserve death.
Lk23:16 Therefore, I will punish him and then release him.
Mt27:18 For he knew it was out of envy that they had handed Jesus over to him.

Mt27:27 Then the governor's soldiers took Jesus into the Praetorium and gathered the whole company of soldiers around him.

Jh19:2 The soldiers twisted together a crown of thorns and put it on his head. They clothed him in a purple robe

Jh19:3 and went up to him again and again, saying, "Hail, king of the Jews!" And they struck him in the face.
Jh19:1 Then Pilate took Jesus and had him flogged.
Mt27:16 At that time they had a notorious prisoner, called Barabbas.
Mk15:8 The crowd came up and asked Pilate to do for them what he usually did.
Mt27:15 Now it was the governor's custom at the Feast to release a prisoner chosen by the crowd.
Mt27:17 So when the crowd had gathered, Pilate asked them, "Which one do you want me to release to you: Barabbas, or Jesus who is called Christ?"
Mt27:20 But the chief priests and the elders persuaded the crowd to ask for Barabbas and to have Jesus executed.
Jh18:40 They shouted back, "No, not him! Give us Barabbas!" Now Barabbas had taken part in a rebellion.
Lk23:19 (Barabbas had been thrown into prison for an insurrection in the city, and for murder.)
Jh19:13 When Pilate heard this, he brought Jesus out and sat down on the judge's seat at a place known as the Stone Pavement (which in Aramaic is Gabbatha).

Jh19:5 When Jesus came out wearing the crown of thorns and the purple robe, Pilate said to them, "Here is the man!"

Jh19:7 The Jews insisted, "We have a law, and according to that law he must die, because he claimed to be the Son of God."
Mt27:11 Meanwhile Jesus stood before the governor, and the governor asked him, "Are you the king of the Jews?" "Yes, it is as you say," Jesus replied.
Mt27:19 While Pilate was sitting on the judge's seat, his wife sent him this message: "Don't have anything to do with that innocent man, for I have suffered a great deal today in a dream because of him."
Jh19:8 When Pilate heard this, he was even more afraid,
Jh19:9 and he went back inside the palace. "Where do you come from?" he asked Jesus, but Jesus gave him no answer.
Jh19:10 "Do you refuse to speak to me?" Pilate said. "Don't you realize I have power either to free you or to crucify you?"
Jh19:11 Jesus answered, "You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin."
Jh19:4 Once more Pilate came out and said to the Jews, "Look, I am bringing him out to you to let you know that I find no basis for a charge against him."
Jh19:6 As soon as the chief priests and their officials saw him, they shouted, "Crucify! Crucify!" But Pilate answered, "You take him and crucify him. As for me, I find no basis for a charge against him."
Jh19:12 From then on, Pilate tried to set Jesus free, but the Jews kept shouting, "If you let this man go, you are no friend of Caesar. Anyone who claims to be a king opposes Caesar."
Mk15:13 "Crucify him!" they shouted.
Mk15:14 "Why? What crime has he committed?" asked Pilate. But they shouted all the louder, "Crucify him!"

Mt27:21 "Which of the two do you want me to release to you?" asked the governor. "Barabbas," they answered.
Mt27:22 "What shall I do, then, with Jesus who is called Christ?" Pilate asked. They all answered, "Crucify him!"
Mt27:23 "Why? What crime has he committed?" asked Pilate. But they shouted all the louder, "Crucify him!"

Mt27:24 When Pilate saw that he was getting nowhere, but that instead an uproar was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd. "I am innocent of this man's blood," he said. "It is your responsibility!"
Mt27:25 All the people answered, "Let his blood be on us and on our children!"
Lk23:24 So Pilate decided to grant their demand.
Mk15:10 knowing it was out of envy that the chief priests had handed Jesus over to him.
Mk15:09 "Do you want me to release to you the king of the Jews?" asked Pilate,
Lk23:18 With one voice they cried out, "Away with this man! Release Barabbas to us!"
Mk15:12 "What shall I do, then, with the one you call the king of the Jews?" Pilate asked them.
Jh19:15 But they shouted, "Take him away! Take him away! Crucify him!" "Shall I crucify your king?" Pilate asked. "We have no king but Caesar," the chief priests answered.
Lk23:21 But they kept shouting, "Crucify him! Crucify him!"
Lk23:22 For the third time he spoke to them: "Why? What crime has this man committed? I have found in him no grounds for the death penalty. Therefore I will have him punished and then release him."
Lk23:23 But with loud shouts they insistently demanded that he be crucified, and their shouts prevailed.
Jh19:16 Finally Pilate handed him over to them to be crucified. So the soldiers took charge of Jesus.
Lk23:25 He released the man who had been thrown into prison for insurrection and murder, the one they asked for, and surrendered Jesus to their will.

Mk15:16 The soldiers led Jesus away into the palace (that is, the Praetorium) and called together the whole company of soldiers.
Mt27:28 They stripped him and put a scarlet robe on him,
Mk15:19 Again and again they struck him on the head with a staff and spit on him. Falling on their knees, they paid homage to him.
Mk15:18 And they began to call out to him, "Hail, king of the Jews!"
Mt27:30 They spit on him, and took the staff and struck him on the head again and again.
Mt27:31 After they had mocked him, they took off the robe and put his own clothes on him. Then they led him away to crucify him.
Lk23:32 Two other men, both criminals, were also led out with him to be executed.