Sitting in a meeting this morning, the topic of family dynamics came up. It wasn't even about the relationship of parent and young child, but it was about the interaction and relationships of adults, their adult siblings, and their parents. One person made the statement that those relationships are not significant, especially once you have your own family. Another shared that whereas he valued his family as an adult, he had to sever the relationships with them due to the emotional damage it was causing him. We were working on establishing a support and education group for grandparents who were raising their grandchildren, sadly a rising trend.
I will be the first to say I come from a very dysfunctional family, and it has been that way for nearly thirty years. Even with every emotionally crushing event that happens, I still hold out hope that there will be some type of family healing. For emotional safety I do keep some family members at arm's length, but I am receptive to improving the relationships.
So here are my questions, how do you view your adult family relationships and their significance? If you do come from a horribly dysfunctional family, how have you handled your family dynamics? Does there actually ever come a point where you do need to sever those relationships?
I will be the first to say I come from a very dysfunctional family, and it has been that way for nearly thirty years. Even with every emotionally crushing event that happens, I still hold out hope that there will be some type of family healing. For emotional safety I do keep some family members at arm's length, but I am receptive to improving the relationships.
So here are my questions, how do you view your adult family relationships and their significance? If you do come from a horribly dysfunctional family, how have you handled your family dynamics? Does there actually ever come a point where you do need to sever those relationships?