Fasting reason why?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Fasting is an effective way to get your focus off your physical body and its needs. Once you get past the discomfort, you are better able to focus on the Lord.

The chapter in Richard Foster's book Celebration of Discipline is by far the best information on the subject (of which I'm aware).

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Its to humble our souls
Psalm 69:10

When I wept and humbled my soul with fasting, it became my reproach.

Isaiah 58:5-6
"Is it a fast like this which I choose, a day for a man to humble himself? Is it for bowing one's head like a reed And for spreading out sackcloth and ashes as a bed? Will you call this a fast, even an acceptable day to the LORD? 6"Is this not the fast which I choose, To loosen the bonds of wickedness, To undo the bands of the yoke, And to let the oppressed go free And break every yoke?...

Its also a Telegram to put things before the Lords throne
Ezra 8:23

So we fasted and implored our God for this, and he listened to our entreaty.
Disciplining your body

1 Corinthians 9:27

But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.
And for spiritual deliverance...
Mark 9:29
And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.

And Jesus said when you fast..not if you fast

Matthew 6:16

“And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
When we fast we deny ourselves physical food for a time that we dedicate to feeding ourselves only spiritual food. It opens up a pathway for the Lord to reach our spirits directly.

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
Fasting has been a very confusing topic for myself to fully understand. Probably because I have never done it for an extended period of time.

I often wonder if fasting is necessary if there is agreement with the spirit and body?

I also have been somewhat confused by the hold fast to your wife verse but this I take to mean, don’t let her out of your mind yet, be at peace when you cannot be together.

Sep 3, 2016
Fasting includes not only, doing without food, but as well, denying one's own strength and ability, and looking exclusively to the Cross (1 Cor. 1:17-18).

JSM

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Fasting is a good way to rid your body of built-up toxins, also :)

It is amazing how much more time you have when you are not planning
for, shopping for, preparing, eating, and cleaning up after eating, as well :D

lastofall

Aug 26, 2014
[for me anyway] fasting is to "go without" not only in food but moreover to go without self, our own will: it can be making the effort daily to go without our hand held device for a time; or go without television for a time; or to go without any thing that is of our selfish desire; any thing that is from our eagerness to consume or possess. The purpose: so that we may attend upon the things of the Lord without distraction.

Mar 28, 2016
Why does the Bible talk about fasting?
Fasting is a way that God use to represent the gospel . A good place to begin looking at it intended usage is in the Sabbath doctrine.

Preparation, the day before and the execution of bringing the gospel on the day when it is possible. No regular work needed to maintain these bodies of death.

The word Manna as to its meaning has a important role in defining the true fast by which we can be heard on high (walking by faith)

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
In the OT, under the law, the Day of Atonement required/demanded fasting. There are other days, 9th of Av etc, that fasting appears to be required.

I can find no fasting requirements/demands given to the NT Church/Body of Christ.

Having said that, I believe fasting has positive benefits & that God rewards any sacrificial petitions/work/personal sacrifices done in his name.

Paul, warns the husband & wife when they bring a prayer petition before the Lord. To be reasonable with time constraints 1 Cor 7:5.

Personally, I would apply this advise to fasting as well. My Opinion Only! FD