Fasting...

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Made it through 2nd watch and almost through 3rd watch. I saw the Lord move mightly btw.
I need to glorify the Lord for a minute. He is so good. He gives me so many blessings, undeserving that what I am.
 
I have to ask, is there Scripture for all these other types of fasts that do not involve food....I have always understood that to fast is to abstain from food and only food.
 
I'm not sure but I found where when Isrealites fasted they also wore sackcloth maybe as a way to deny their flesh of comfortable clothing. I think most of fasting is to deny the flesh its comforts. To cause the Spirit to be strong. But, I think most of the scriptures do speak in regard to eat/drink
 
I'm not sure but I found where when Isrealites fasted they also wore sackcloth maybe as a way to deny their flesh of comfortable clothing. I think most of fasting is to deny the flesh its comforts. To cause the Spirit to be strong. But, I think most of the scriptures do speak in regard to eat/drink
The reason many wore horrid clothing and did not wash and what not was not to glorify God but to show the world that they are more holy then everyone else because they were fasting... Not all did that but many did...

I also think in today's world it is easier to go without a i-pod for a day then food, so many try to substitute fasting food which is very hard to something easier that looks more Holy... If I say I fasted for food it sounds cliche' or normal... But if I say I fasted from watching tv and read the bible I sound more holy then someone who fasted from food. But in all actuality the person fasting from food is giving away something they need to live on this earth to show God their love for Him. And the other person makes a holiday to finally open a book instead of giving into worldly desires... I am not saying that watching TV is sinful or that you can't fast from other things then food or that food is the best way to fast... I am just pointing out that fasting was a way to show God and yourself that all you needed was Him... If you give away a day of TV for that purpose PRAISE GOD! But many do that because it is easier and sounds more holy...

I really think that some people could not go a day without food for God, I know I can't i failed on my fast, I ate some chips when I woke up from a nap because I forgot I was fasting... (So take in note I am not more holy than anyone, infact I could use the most wisdom in certain ways :p) I also fasted from video games that same day, and that was so easy that I could still be fasting from it without any struggle...
 
Last edited:
I'm not sure but I found where when Isrealites fasted they also wore sackcloth maybe as a way to deny their flesh of comfortable clothing. I think most of fasting is to deny the flesh its comforts. To cause the Spirit to be strong. But, I think most of the scriptures do speak in regard to eat/drink

Important for us to remember that Jesus said for us to NOT DO as those people did, rather to not tell the world that we are fasting..........just saying....... :)
 
Important for us to remember that Jesus said for us to NOT DO as those people did, rather to not tell the world that we are fasting..........just saying....... :)

Oh yes, this is very important. It's best if no one knows but God. :)
 
Iv'e tried fasting but since I'm an idiot I give up too easily and eat at the end of the day -_-
 
Iv'e tried fasting but since I'm an idiot I give up too easily and eat at the end of the day -_-

Hey brother, don't beat yourself down. You can always practice. When I tried starting, I had difficulty. This is what I did to be stronger, if I were to fast in a deeper place. I would abstain from all types of drinks except water, and be able to eat (remember fasting doesn't have to just be everything). I take it slow first. After getting use to abstaining from drinks, you can abstain from food, but drink anything you want. As it gets easier, you can train your body for a full on giving up everything. I believe this is an awesome work out, in my opinion, depends on how long you do each of these fasts. Maybe 3 days be good for a beginner.

Or you can do a day fast, fast all day and eat during after sunset, for a couple weeks. My friend did that, but it's because he is Muslim. I don't think this one is recommended unless it helps you. :)
 
Iv'e tried fasting but since I'm an idiot I give up too easily and eat at the end of the day -_-
Yes, this is why I decided to use this as a way of being held accountable with my fast. I think the Lord knows the difference between one who is proud and overly spiritual and one who is meek trying their best to do right.:)
 
The reason many wore horrid clothing and did not wash and what not was not to glorify God but to show the world that they are more holy then everyone else because they were fasting... Not all did that but many did...

I also think in today's world it is easier to go without a i-pod for a day then food, so many try to substitute fasting food which is very hard to something easier that looks more Holy... If I say I fasted for food it sounds cliche' or normal... But if I say I fasted from watching tv and read the bible I sound more holy then someone who fasted from food. But in all actuality the person fasting from food is giving away something they need to live on this earth to show God their love for Him. And the other person makes a holiday to finally open a book instead of giving into worldly desires... I am not saying that watching TV is sinful or that you can't fast from other things then food or that food is the best way to fast... I am just pointing out that fasting was a way to show God and yourself that all you needed was Him... If you give away a day of TV for that purpose PRAISE GOD! But many do that because it is easier and sounds more holy...

I really think that some people could not go a day without food for God, I know I can't i failed on my fast, I ate some chips when I woke up from a nap because I forgot I was fasting... (So take in note I am not more holy than anyone, infact I could use the most wisdom in certain ways :p) I also fasted from video games that same day, and that was so easy that I could still be fasting from it without any struggle...
I agree, it is easy to substitute some other "pleasure" for TV or coffee etc, but food is essential to sustain the flesh and the only thing to substitute it is to "eat" The Word thereby building the spirit....just my opinion.
 
“While they were worshipping and fasting, the Holy Spirit spoke…” (Acts 13:2).


When you need to hear the voice of God more clearly, fast and worship. A thousand voices compete for our attention. Many are voices directed to our appetites. Fasting says: Lord, I have stopped my ears to the cry of the body. Speak! I long for you to speak. Open the ears of my soul to the degree that I have stopped the ears of my stomach.

 
The disciples asked Jesus why they couldn't cast out a demon once, he said, some are only cast out with fasting. It's a total spiritual war against the strongholds, in our lives or praying for others. I should fast more. Like once a week, instead of maybe once a month or more. It helps with entering into prayer, worshiping, and reading, to focus on prayer. On the other side of this, there could be many thoughts of things that we should not be thinking on. To me it's getting out of the fleshly needs, and into the spiritual realm, I think heaven is like that, no desire to eat, just filled with Love.
 
Well,all i have to say is that you should not forget to pray and study the word of God while fasting..I cannot stress how important those are..
Like a pastor would always say..fasting without prayer is simply starvation.
When you're fasting, you're denying your flesh,denying yourself..and i personally believe one can fast from other things apart from food..
God's grace!
 
I agree, it is easy to substitute some other "pleasure" for TV or coffee etc, but food is essential to sustain the flesh and the only thing to substitute it is to "eat" The Word thereby building the spirit....just my opinion.

Fasting is a scared time in which Christians abstain from food, yes, or other pleasures, and take the time to focus on God. Me, personally, I fast foods but I also like giving up other things that I really enjoy. Its a personal choice, its not in Scriptures but it is in my heart and God knows my heart. Its not because its easier to give up other things rather than food but its me just wanting to do more. But I would just say pray about it and let the Holy Spirit lead you. God bless
 
I need to fast too. This is a good post so we may learn from others.
 
For the first time in my life I am fasting... I am trying to go a full day with only water... I love food dearly, I could just sit all day and eat my body weight in any type so this is pretty hard for me...

I want to know what types of miracles God has worked in your lives or peoples around you when you fast... :)
I just think that this would be a great topic to read :p Very uplifting and nice :)

Hey, T. I want to encourage you not to give up. Fasting is a good way to grow spiritually, but if you've never done it before and wake up one day with this idea. Great, but be careful! Drink mineral water, not just water. The Lord wants us to be healthy at the same time remember =P

Some tips, take a multivitamin with the water. Let this be your only "food". Especially if you are used to eating or have a high metabolism. Last time I fasted I landed in the hospital because I did not take a vitamin, I was low on just about everything -.- when you wake up, drink a TALL glass of water...like down it! then, on intrivals like every 3 hours or whenever your eating shedule usually is, drink another, and so on, whenever you feel hungry. MINERAL/VITAWATER. not just water. Also BIG TIP!!!...a person needs to be drinking half their body weight, in ounces, of water every day (wether you are fasting or not) so if you weigh say...160lbs, you need to be drinking 80 ounces of water a day. this isn't that hard by the way :)

Also, start out slow, don't just jump into fasting, get used to drinking a lot of water, when you feel hungry get water and wait an hour, so on and so forth, then in a week or so. try again :)

I have fasted several times in the past, when I felt like my faith was shaken, the enemy was tryin to move me, and just to know that God really does provide all my needs. I kept busy in the word, in prayer, just talking with God....yes I literally held one sided conversations to what others thought of it hahaha. its only crazy if you start answering yourself...right? 0.o :)

A miracle I've seen growing that started during my last fast (I fasted for 5 days) was that my church received a large fund they had started for an ill friend. from that it has continue to grow and that friend will soon be blessed with the expenses to save his life :) GOD IS AWESOME
 
.....just a continual reminder as people ponder fasting............

Matthew 6:16) Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 17 .) But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face; 18 .) That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly. 19 .) Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: 20 .) But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: 21 .) For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

(we must be sure to be in proper spiritual state before we begin to fast in my opinion......)

God bless