Favorite Christmas traditions

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

maribm4

Dec 17, 2019
I love watching the presentation of singer Roberto Carlos, eat turkey with crumbs and attend church choir. It´s my favorite time of the year!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
'Joy to the world' was the most popular requested carol last night.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
We have very few Christmas traditions in my family beyond get together for food and gifts, but there were a couple old records (actual vinyl ones) that we always played a lot around Christmas, so my personal tradition is that I try to get this song played sometime Christmas day every year (yes it's a little old fashioned and cheesy musically but I love the words).

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
my family doesnt really do Christmas.

I had a think about it and none of them actually believe.

I was banned from decorating the house one Christmas so Ive stopped doing that.
Theres food but its nobody actually likes eating a big ham. I dont know why we have one every year though, I think its because, work would always give them out every year, plus a box of biscuits, so we would have to eat them.

what happens is everyone goes to someones house, has a big meal, and then talks about work, which is really boring. then my dad will say, its christmas there are no ads on TV!

so we will all sit down to watch whatever is on the TV.

Us children would be really bored cos we would only ever see each other just once a year and if nobody bought any games or cards to play there would be nothing to do, and we would all be stuck in the living room looking at each other.

then an aunt might say oh how old are you now and then ask if you were studying, working, or earning lots of money. If you werent doing anything like that they would say when are you going to get married.

Mum would be guilt tripping anyone who didnt help her in the kitchen, but if you did offer to help, you would be henpecked to death, cos shes the boss of the kitchen and it all has to be done her way or the highway.

After several hours of chitchat in which the house prices in Auckland would be endlesly discussed and traffic woes and overseas holidays, it then might be time to go home.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
my family doesnt really do Christmas.

I had a think about it and none of them actually believe.

I was banned from decorating the house one Christmas so Ive stopped doing that.
Theres food but its nobody actually likes eating a big ham. I dont know why we have one every year though, I think its because, work would always give them out every year, plus a box of biscuits, so we would have to eat them.

what happens is everyone goes to someones house, has a big meal, and then talks about work, which is really boring. then my dad will say, its christmas there are no ads on TV!

so we will all sit down to watch whatever is on the TV.

Us children would be really bored cos we would only ever see each other just once a year and if nobody bought any games or cards to play there would be nothing to do, and we would all be stuck in the living room looking at each other.

then an aunt might say oh how old are you now and then ask if you were studying, working, or earning lots of money. If you werent doing anything like that they would say when are you going to get married.

Mum would be guilt tripping anyone who didnt help her in the kitchen, but if you did offer to help, you would be henpecked to death, cos shes the boss of the kitchen and it all has to be done her way or the highway.

After several hours of chitchat in which the house prices in Auckland would be endlesly discussed and traffic woes and overseas holidays, it then might be time to go home.
Lanolin,

I hope you won't be offended by this, but sometimes I read your posts... and I just want to give you a hug.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
We have very few Christmas traditions in my family beyond get together for food and gifts, but there were a couple old records (actual vinyl ones) that we always played a lot around Christmas, so my personal tradition is that I try to get this song played sometime Christmas day every year (yes it's a little old fashioned and cheesy musically but I love the words).

Whataya mean old fashioned? I have enough Hinsons, Goodmans and Hemphills to listen to them for 24 hours running.

This song is downright newfangled. Sounds like a cross between Mercy River Boys and GLAD.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
aw, thanks seoulsearch. actually my Christmas which I was kinda dreading turned out alright. I did get to see most of my family after all cos I thought well my little cousins dont want to miss out and they actually bought books they had been given for Christmas and I had some things to do with them so they wouldnt be bored like I was when I was a child. so we made huge bubbles and played with slime and opened christmas crackers. I stayed right out of the kitchen.

Then the time passed and it wasnt so bad. we got ten out of ten for the christmas quiz too. and miracle, nobody really asked me about being single or working! we had lots of food but I wasnt forced to eat what I didnt want to eat and nobody commented on what I ate or didnt eat (which used to always happen)
I came home early to feed the cat.

and then had a chat with my sister who actually lives by herself overseas but shes going to a former flatmates place for christmas lunch.

so God must have worked a miracle at least I didnt feel like the odd one out. I did go to church in the morning for an hour and saw my church family. Sometimes I think I would like go to the city mission one year with all the other homeless and poor just for a change with the other outcasts from families who expect too much and those who get harassed over christmas but maybe next year.