Favourite Bible Translations

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 23, 2013
So Charles Stanley, John Piper and DavidJeremiah are being influenced by Satan? Okay then.
They are babes in Christ at best, I can't judge their salvation. Oh by the way, David Jeremiah had the eye of horus in his baptistry and probably still does if hasn't taken it down. many people called him out on that.

Nov 23, 2013
David Jeremiah's eye of Horus.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
If you ever know history, then it's not really 'KJVO' that inflames the issue of bible versions. The revisionist of 1881 have a low view of the bible KJV and called KJV "perverse and corrupt", TR being "vile and villainous and reject the infallibility of the scripture." i guessed you should know about that.
I've never heard that before. I mean apart from the few dozen times Nehemiah 6 mentioned it.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
What kind of Christian would I be if I didn't try to warn people about the bible issue. There should be no such thing as a "favorite translation", that's like saying Who's your favorite Jesus.
An apology would have been appropriate, but you chose instead to post a self-justifying excuse.

S

Scribe

What kind of Christian would I be if I didn't try to warn people about the bible issue. There should be no such thing as a "favorite translation", that's like saying Who's your favorite Jesus.
No, it's not the same thing. Not even remotely the same thing. That you think that it is the same thing means you have made an archaic English language translation your substitute for Jesus.

I know I am wasting time pointing out your flawed thinking but you make it too easy.

Nov 23, 2013
Zz
No, it's not the same thing. Not even remotely the same thing. That you think that it is the same thing means you have made an archaic English language translation your substitute for Jesus.

I know I am wasting time pointing out your flawed thinking but you make it too easy.
i came from where you are, you’re not going to talk me into going back there.

Nov 23, 2013
@Scribe

Why don’t you test drive the KJV. Pick a doctrine say born again. Search every place in the KJV that it’s mentioned. When you read it, believe every word exactly as written and see what you come up with.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
That you think that it is the same thing means you have made an archaic English language translation your substitute for Jesus.
This is simply laughable. Christians who hold tenaciously to the King James Bible are not upholding archaic English, but a faithful and sound translation of the Word of God, which has stood the test of time for over 400 years, and is not based upon ridiculous ideas about Bible manuscripts. No one is substituting the Bible for Jesus, so that is merely a straw man.

Could the KJV have been improved further and brought up-to-date without compromising the true Word of God? Absolutely. See the KJV 2000 Bible.

But instead of honoring their commitment to deal honestly with this issue, the Revision Committee of 1881 (Church of England) deliberately chose to corrupt the Bible. And every modern version has followed in their footsteps. But they are without excuse, since the Great Bible Version Hoax was exposed almost as soon as it was foisted on the unsuspecting Christian public. Just like the COVID hoax is being exposed.

S

Scribe

@Scribe

Why don’t you test drive the KJV. Pick a doctrine say born again. Search every place in the KJV that it’s mentioned. When you read it, believe every word exactly as written and see what you come up with.
I have been perfering the KJV for personal devotion and memorization for 39 years. I know full well that it is an excellent English translation. Robert Alter who is a very well respected expert on the Hebrew Literature style of the Old Testament says that the KJV does a better job of capturing the poetry and prose than other translations (but still falls short). There are many reasons to love the KJV translation. That does not make it the source. The manuscripts in the original language is still the source and you will never win that argument that they are not.

If you are experiencing more illumination by reading the KJV it is not because it has replaced the source documents as to inspiration, it is because you are experiencing that excellence of the classic English that is the KJV. It has a way of communicating in a concise and powerful way that is indeed similar to the original language. This impact on the intellect to comprehend great truths by using concise and perfectly timed words is the beauty of the KJV and many can tell a difference when they read a different English translation. They report not having the same powerful impact that the KJV has. You are interpreting that experience as the KJV language having a supernatural inspiration, but it is actually the superior English style that is the best English every produced.

William Buckley was a great debater and communicator. He and many others like him recommend the KJV bible as one of the best examples of the English language in the history of Literature.

After listening to Robert Alter explain the Hebrew prose and poetry and his efforts to translate it into English, I now appreciate the KJV version more than I ever have. However, I also now want to learn Hebrew and Greek more than ever because I realize that I am still not hearing the full poetry and literature nuances of the original languages. There phrases with rhyming words in Hebrew that we don't get to hear in English. The KJV did not capture that. There are play on words in the Hebrew, contrasting two words that sound similar but we don't get it in the KJV or any other. This "literary experience" I want to enjoy and will go through the three years in each language study to achieve that goal if I live long enough.

As good as the KJV is, it is not the original languages and so it is not the source and not to be contended for as though God has chosen it to be the replacement of the original. If you can have those wonderful illumination moments by reading the excellent English of the KJV what kind of illumination moments might you experience if you were hearing the rhyming words and nuances in meaning of the original Hebrew and Greek in the style that it was recorded by the unique writing styles of each author, which God used for His Glory?

I will not trade the truth of these statements for a illogical, unsupported, ignorant personal belief system that denies facts and stubbornly adheres to a blind fanaticism, declaring without God's authority to do so that God has chosen the KJV to be the new original manuscripts and now the KJV should be used to translate into other languages of the world.

If you were going to produce a Bible for a non English speaking people group you would want to use the copies of the original manuscripts to translate into their language. This is painfully obvious to everyone in the world. And I am weary of the conversation.

I do understand the favorable personal experience people have when reading the KJV. There have been millions of grade school drop outs, drunks, derelicts, crackheads, uneducated people dumber than a box of rocks, who could not speak in complete sentences, who got saved and were transformed by the Word of God and by constant reading of the KJV also experienced the benefit of learning how to communicate, speak well and think in concise logical thoughts. Many of the letters written in early American history from soldiers who had no formal education were better than most people today with a bachelors degree because the constant reading of the KJV bible became part of their communication skills.

LJ84

Dec 9, 2020
What translation of the bible is the easiest to interpret?

S

Scribe

... But they are without excuse, since the Great Bible Version Hoax was exposed almost as soon as it was foisted on the unsuspecting Christian public. Just like the COVID hoax is being exposed.
OK...:cautious: Do people seem to avoid you at parties?

LJ84

Dec 9, 2020
Sixteen Verses Omitted from Modern Bibles
Here are the sixteen whole verses:

1. Matthew 17:21: "Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting."
  2. Matthew 18:11: "For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost."
  3. Matthew 23:14: "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation."
  4. Mark 7:16: "If any man have ears to hear, let him hear."
  5. Mark 9:44: "Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched."
  6. Mark 9:46: "Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched."
  7. Mark 11:26: "But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses."
  8. Mark 15:28: "And the scripture was fulfilled, which saith, And he was numbered with the transgressors."
  9. Luke 17:36: "Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left."
  10. John 5:4: "For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had."
  11. Acts 8:37: "And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."
  12. Acts 15:34: "Notwithstanding it pleased Silas to abide there still."
  13. Acts 24:7: "But the chief captain Lysias came upon us, and with great violence took him away out of our hands,"
  14. Acts 28:29: "And when he had said these words, the Jews departed, and had great reasoning among themselves."
  15. Romans 16:24: "The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen."
  16. I John 5:7: "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one."
Thanks, definitely useful

Nov 23, 2013
I have been perfering the KJV for personal devotion and memorization for 39 years. I know full well that it is an excellent English translation. Robert Alter who is a very well respected expert on the Hebrew Literature style of the Old Testament says that the KJV does a better job of capturing the poetry and prose than other translations (but still falls short). There are many reasons to love the KJV translation. That does not make it the source. The manuscripts in the original language is still the source and you will never win that argument that they are not.

If you are experiencing more illumination by reading the KJV it is not because it has replaced the source documents as to inspiration, it is because you are experiencing that excellence of the classic English that is the KJV. It has a way of communicating in a concise and powerful way that is indeed similar to the original language. This impact on the intellect to comprehend great truths by using concise and perfectly timed words is the beauty of the KJV and many can tell a difference when they read a different English translation. They report not having the same powerful impact that the KJV has. You are interpreting that experience as the KJV language having a supernatural inspiration, but it is actually the superior English style that is the best English every produced.

William Buckley was a great debater and communicator. He and many others like him recommend the KJV bible as one of the best examples of the English language in the history of Literature.

After listening to Robert Alter explain the Hebrew prose and poetry and his efforts to translate it into English, I now appreciate the KJV version more than I ever have. However, I also now want to learn Hebrew and Greek more than ever because I realize that I am still not hearing the full poetry and literature nuances of the original languages. There phrases with rhyming words in Hebrew that we don't get to hear in English. The KJV did not capture that. There are play on words in the Hebrew, contrasting two words that sound similar but we don't get it in the KJV or any other. This "literary experience" I want to enjoy and will go through the three years in each language study to achieve that goal if I live long enough.

As good as the KJV is, it is not the original languages and so it is not the source and not to be contended for as though God has chosen it to be the replacement of the original. If you can have those wonderful illumination moments by reading the excellent English of the KJV what kind of illumination moments might you experience if you were hearing the rhyming words and nuances in meaning of the original Hebrew and Greek in the style that it was recorded by the unique writing styles of each author, which God used for His Glory?

I will not trade the truth of these statements for a illogical, unsupported, ignorant personal belief system that denies facts and stubbornly adheres to a blind fanaticism, declaring without God's authority to do so that God has chosen the KJV to be the new original manuscripts and now the KJV should be used to translate into other languages of the world.

If you were going to produce a Bible for a non English speaking people group you would want to use the copies of the original manuscripts to translate into their language. This is painfully obvious to everyone in the world. And I am weary of the conversation.

I do understand the favorable personal experience people have when reading the KJV. There have been millions of grade school drop outs, drunks, derelicts, crackheads, uneducated people dumber than a box of rocks, who could not speak in complete sentences, who got saved and were transformed by the Word of God and by constant reading of the KJV also experienced the benefit of learning how to communicate, speak well and think in concise logical thoughts. Many of the letters written in early American history from soldiers who had no formal education were better than most people today with a bachelors degree because the constant reading of the KJV bible became part of their communication skills.
Your looking for understanding through the meaning of words but that’s not where Gods word is. I’ll give you an example.

Joh 8:43 (KJV) Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.

What is Jesus saying here?

Nov 23, 2013
The Bible is written in code with specific instructions on how to decipher the code. The KJV is the only bible I’ve ever read that maintains the code.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Hello and Welcome to CC, LJ84...
That depends entirely on the language with which you are familiar. Most reasonably-educated English speakers today would find the NIV easiest to interpret, because it is written in modern English with an emphasis on capturing the meaning of the original language without being wedded to the order of words. The NASB is a more formal translation, but is more difficult to read. I'm not as familiar with the other modern translations, though I know the Amplified Bible gives a broader range of meaning within the text, while the Message is a much looser paraphrase. Unless you are familiar with Elizabethan English, you might find the KJV a bit difficult because many of the words are no longer used in everyday English, and some have changed meaning considerably.

It also depends on what you mean by "interpret". If you mean for everyday reading (especially aloud) and basic study, the notes above would be appropriate. If you mean digging deep into the text and getting as much as you can from it, I would recommend a formal translation such as the NASB, and better yet, the original languages.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
The Bible is written in code with specific instructions on how to decipher the code. The KJV is the only bible I’ve ever read that maintains the code.
This alleged "code" doesn't exist in the original languages, so it's not worth the time it takes to look for it.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Thanks, definitely useful
There are very good reasons why those verses don't appear in modern translations. Don't be deceived by simplistic arguments from King James Version-only proponents.