Favourite Bible Translations

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Does your anti-bible cult run courses on how to attack each English bible translation?
When people run out of valid defenses for the indefensible, then they resort to nonsense. How about the *Corrupt Bible Version Cult*? I'm sure the JWs love this cult since their NWT is based on the same Westcott-Hort corruption as all the others.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Jan 1, 2021
Any thoughts on the new NASB20?
Oyster,

Wasn’t aware of the revision. So I researched it. Here are I think two key changes:

For example in the book of Ephesians the word “aliens” has been changed to “foreigners,” “lose heart” changed to “become discouraged,” “implore” changed to “urge,” “tender-hearted” changed to “compassionate,” “girded your loins” changed to “belted your waist,” “coarse jesting” changed to “vulgar joking.” These are changes that amount to making the translation more accessible to a younger generation. As we looked over the changes in the book of Ephesians most seemed like straightforward modernized renditions of antiquated words.

The third component to this update is the use of “Gender Accurate” language. The stated goal here is not “inclusivity” per se, but rather accuracy and faithfulness to the intentions of the Biblical authors. An example is found in Matthew 4:19, “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of people.” (bold added) “People” translates the Greek word anthropoi – which means “human beings.” “Men” works in this verse only if it is assumed by the audience that “Men” refers to both men and women.

So some words which have become out-of-fashion or use, perhaps archaic even, were changed to make it more understandable and readable.

Also, gender-sensitive language changes were made - which IMO is very important. If you’re an old guy, like me, those gender insensitive language choices don’t bother me personally, but we need to realize that many people feel uncomfortable reading such language - they think that means that Christians also have such attitudes which disrespect women. So I think it is very important to make such changes.

I used to use the NASB much. But I’ve come to realize that being more word-for-word literal is actually not as accurate as translations which change the sentence structure of the source language (Hebrew or Greek) to one that works better, more accurately, in the destination language (for us, English).

FA

Jan 1, 2021
I tried to edit the previous but time ran out. So, here are the last two paragraphs with those changes:

Also, gender-sensitive language changes were made - which IMO is very important. If you’re an old guy, like me, those gender insensitive language choices don’t bother me personally, but we need to realize that many people feel uncomfortable reading such language - they think that means that Christians also have such attitudes which disrespect women. So I think it is very important to make such changes. And notice that both changes are aimed at a younger reading group.

I used to use the NASB much. But I’ve come to realize that being more word-for-word literal is actually not as accurate as translations which change the sentence structure of the source language (Hebrew or Greek) to one that works better, more accurately, in the destination language (for us, English).

IOW, wooden, word-for-word translations are not more accurate than ones which take care to use a language structure which more accurately captures the original impact on the original readers. Remember that koine Greek was a free language - very colloquial. Also, when I noticed that the Greek Septuagint (LXX - the translation of the Hebrew OT into koine Greek) was a fairly free translation. Then when I noticed that OT quotations in the NT were always taken from the LXX, that the Holy Spirit endorsed a translation which better communicated than a more wooden one, my whole attitude toward such things changed.

Dec 9, 2011
I primarily use the NIV for study and daily reading because of its popularity. But I also use the ESV and NKJV because they are the translations of some very wonderful study Bibles
I am curious to know some favourite Bible translations of other Christians and why they chose them.
I use the king James Version because IMO it Is most accurate.When talking about faith some translations will say "a measure of faith"meaning GOD gives a different amount of faith to some ,whereas the King James Version will say"The measure of faith"which IMO means GOD gives everyone the same faith.

Jan 1, 2021
You've been around since the time of Westcott and Hort? Wow. ;)

The KJV is not a word for word translation; it is impossible to translate Greek "word for word" into English because the sentence structure is very different, and English does not have words for all the Greek words. While the KJV was written in grammatically correct English, that is true for every other English translation as well.

There are many interlinear Bibles; the one you happened to consult might have been written by people whose preference was the KJV. An interlinear is essentially another translation (ie.; an interpretation).

Objectively, it is no easier to "hide the word in your heart" with the KJV than with any other translation.

I can respect your preference and your right to it, but the reasons you have presented for your choice wouldn't convince a knowledgeable person of anything. ;)
I wouldn't wish to insult your knowledge but I was not trying to promote an argument for which bible to use but just explaining why I soon learned to leave the choice to God. Do you not wonder why God allowed the King James Bible to be the only english translation for about 400yrs and while english became the most common language used and why so many came to faith in him as a result.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I wouldn't wish to insult your knowledge but I was not trying to promote an argument for which bible to use but just explaining why I soon learned to leave the choice to God. Do you not wonder why God allowed the King James Bible to be the only english translation for about 400yrs and while english became the most common language used and why so many came to faith in him as a result.
As I said, I respect your choice. The KJV was the most-printed English translation, but it certainly wasn't the only one in existence. Its "popularity" was certainly helped by the fact that England's state church used it, and that other churches were functionally outlawed.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I was reading Diary of a Disciple, Luke's story

Heres how it tells the story of Jesus birth- minus all the doodles :

When they FINALLY arrived, Mary was getting pretty UNCOMFORTABLE (ewww...) when the baby decided to announce HE WAS ON HIS WAY.
so she sent Joe off to find them somewhere to stay, it was pretty URGENT.

Joe RUSHED back to Mary and said hed find them a five star ***** place to share with a few others that had a great ensuite facilities (very nice) and free snacks (sweet!) UNFORTUNATELY it turned out that Joe hadnt quite understood what he'd been told :-(
They ended up in a place that certainly had one very bright star shining above it, and there were DEFINITELY others they had to share with, except they werent people - they were animals!

The ensuite facilites were great for the cows and sheep but Mary and Joe didnt enjoy the ~SMELL~
...Stinky! And the free snacks? well if you are a cow and a sheep the. hay makes a **FANTASTIC** snack, but for Mary and Joe it was a bit chewy.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
When people run out of valid defenses for the indefensible, then they resort to nonsense. How about the *Corrupt Bible Version Cult*. ? I'm sure the JWs love this cult since their NWT is based on the same Westcott-Hort corruption as all the others.
There is no "Corrupt" Bible Version Cult. You know that. There is no mirror image and I'll call foul on that vacuous charge.
The KJV is the only translation with a following of religious fanatics which insist on exclusive devotion.
You cannot honestly make that charge concerning the ESV, NASB, NIV, RSV or NET.

I haven't run out of defences. You are constantly on the attack with the same accusations. Charges which have been debunked repeatedly. And why should I need to defend the Bible I'm reading to you anyway? As if it were some vile thing!!
Please change the Wescott-Hort persecution record. They were not the criminals you make them out to be.

You are deliberately disrupting groups of Christians from discussing their FAVOURITE translations.
A large part of The Body of Christ will never regard the KJV as highly as you do. Get over it man!

How can I continue to respect you enough to discuss scripture with you when you exhibit no respect me or my Bible?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I know who she is, and have heard her on radio, and seen her on telly/video.
To me, she is wishy washy.
Dear Joyce Meyer...
UCA4J thinks you are wishy-washy
Just thought you should know.
from Lanolin.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
When people run out of valid defenses for the indefensible, then they resort to nonsense. How about the *Corrupt Bible Version Cult*? I'm sure the JWs love this cult since their NWT is based on the same Westcott-Hort corruption as all the others.
There is no such thing. To assert otherwise is to descend to the ridiculous.