Fervent prayer

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Homewardbound

Dec 10, 2018
I have been hearing a lot of references to James where he says the fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
It seems God is trying to get my attention here, but I must be missing the point.
What does it mean fervent prayer.
I am sure I will get a lot of scholarly advice on this...but in a practical sense, what does it look like??!!

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
In a practical sense it sounds almost like a prayer of desperation.

Homewardbound

Dec 10, 2018
Makes sense. I was thinking of intensity too, but it is coupled with the word 'effective" or "effectual". Is being specific part of it?
sometimes we don't know all of the situation to pray for so...

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
I am sure I will get a lot of scholarly advice on this...but in a practical sense, what does it look like??!!
Very passionate prayer full of intensity.............as a mom, I just love it when my children are excited and full of passion when they ask for something (good - according to my will for them).

Their excitement gets me all excited and I quickly do what they have asked me to do! :love:

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Ya know, a very passionate prayer full of intensity could also be a prayer of desperation because fervent just means passionate and full of intensity which could be any emotion - excitement, desperation, etc. :unsure:

I think the key to a fervent prayer is the motivation of the heart of the one praying - love must be the motivation. For a righteous person to pray, they are motivated by love for God, love for others and wisdom to know the Father's Will which results in a very passionate prayer full of intensity which is very effectual. :love:(y)

Homewardbound

Dec 10, 2018
Ya know, a very passionate prayer full of intensity could also be a prayer of desperation because fervent just means passionate and full of intensity which could be any emotion - excitement, desperation, etc. :unsure:

I think the key to a fervent prayer is the motivation of the heart of the one praying - love must be the motivation. For a righteous person to pray, they are motivated by love for God, love for others and wisdom to know the Father's Will which results in a very passionate prayer full of intensity which is very effectual. :love:(y)
Thank you! I enjoy this feedback. Attitude, motive, and intensity. Makes sense!

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
(excerpt from Article)

This is a phrase that originates in the King James version. “The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much” (James 5:16 KJV). The two words, “effectual” and “fervent,” are actually translated from a single Greek word, energeo (ἐνεργέω), a cousin to our word for energy. Generally speaking, it conveys the idea of “energizing,” similar to an electrical current that brings energy to a circuit. When applied to the passage, this suggests a type of prayer that is “passionate, heartfelt, heated, persistent” and so forth. The Amplified Bible, renders it another way that’s especially illuminating: “The earnest (heartfelt, continued) prayer of a righteous man makes tremendous power available [dynamic in its working]” (James 5:16 TAB).

(found here)

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrE...tive-187/RK=2/RS=6yKdflAYTleRrDm4kdifWO6YYa0-

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
(excerpt from Article)

This is a phrase that originates in the King James version. “The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much” (James 5:16 KJV). The two words, “effectual” and “fervent,” are actually translated from a single Greek word, energeo (ἐνεργέω), a cousin to our word for energy. Generally speaking, it conveys the idea of “energizing,” similar to an electrical current that brings energy to a circuit. When applied to the passage, this suggests a type of prayer that is “passionate, heartfelt, heated, persistent” and so forth. The Amplified Bible, renders it another way that’s especially illuminating: “The earnest (heartfelt, continued) prayer of a righteous man makes tremendous power available [dynamic in its working]” (James 5:16 TAB).

(found here)

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrE19KnhFpcaNMAQLNXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEybzJwMDBoBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM1BHZ0aWQDQjY4MzNfMQRzZWMDc3I-/RV=2/RE=1549464872/RO=10/RU=http://victorious.org/pub/prayer-fervent-effective-187/RK=2/RS=6yKdflAYTleRrDm4kdifWO6YYa0-
Great insight! Thanks for sharing! :love:(y)

jb

Feb 27, 2010
I have been hearing a lot of references to James where he says the fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
It seems God is trying to get my attention here, but I must be missing the point.
Did a couple of blogs on prayer that you should find helpful, you can find them Here and Here

Homewardbound

Dec 10, 2018
Did a couple of blogs on prayer that you should find helpful, you can find them Here and Here
I read both blogs, and they were very helpful. Some things were a good reminder, and others I had not considered.
Thanks again!

jb

Feb 27, 2010
I read both blogs, and they were very helpful. Some things were a good reminder, and others I had not considered.
Thanks again!
Glad they were off help to you...(y)

Feb 28, 2016
I've always felt that a 'heart-felt' prayer was a prayer that God put upon our hearts
for another who needed an extra dose of loving kindness...