Fiance upset because I said hi to a coworker and called her Miss

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
1 week is the truth! not boasting at all! everyone has to learn their craft. no one is born great at anything. musicians take lessons college students attend colleges to learn, etc. your last statement goes without saying, it's supernatural.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I'm 56 and she is 46
OP SWAYGTD?

So....what are you going to to do?

Where do you work anyway. Some workplace cultures may have a code of silence where you not supposed to talk to anyone at all, like put your head down if you want to keep your job.

Did you ever wonder why Boaz kept the other working men away from Ruth?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
1 week is the truth! not boasting at all! everyone has to learn their craft. no one is born great at anything. musicians take lessons college students attend colleges to learn, etc. your last statement goes without saying, it's supernatural.
ok ok
I just have bad memories of musicians practicsing at this college I worked in, they constantly practised 'I believe in miracles, you sexy thing' in the afternoons, and the music room was above the library and the students in the library were trying, unsuccesfully, to study. The smart ones just wore earbuds to block out the noise.

Everytime the band started up, and played the same song over and over. They didnt have a singer, but they had trombones and a drummer who kept everything offbeat. It was terrible.

One time I did invite drummers IN the library at another school, teaching children how to drum. It was very easy they all got into the rythym though the caretaker complained. But this was pasifika culture and the drums were made out of logs. Both girls and boys drummed and the islands competed with each other who did the best drumming as it was part of the storytelling session.

So maybe it depends on what kind of drumming it is....

Charleeta

Aug 23, 2023
I will say this, if she thinks that is flirting, y'all better never come to the South. That is a term of respect and it wouldn't be seen otherwise. But here's the deal, your partner is feeling insecure. Is it because you are giving her that feeling, or has she had past issues that give her that feeling? Because either way she will accuse you until you get to the bottom of it and settle it. And that will cause a lot of problems in a marriage if there is no trust. It's a red flag and something you want to nip in the bud now.
I definitely agree with the above.. if you have mistrust from the beginning that is just the frosting on the cake you will receive during your marriage.. If no trust from the beginning ... then no relationship works out ..... period... That is why Christ is so adamant about truth and trust all throughout his ministry...

kinda

Jun 26, 2013
OK my fiance and I have been having some good times and some rough times. Right now we are in a rough patch. We have been in a relationship for two years.

I will do full disclosure because I want some good advice.

In the past, I have been reluctant to:
-Remove female friends from Facebook
-Remove old phone numbers from phone
-Stop talking to two female friends

Now I didn't communicate with the women on Facebook, and I didn't call any of the numbers in my phone. But I understand that I should have taken care of these things sooner. Because of this, there have been some trust issues. She thinks I sometimes want to reach out to women in my past.

The other day I was on the phone with my fiance while getting in the elevator at the garage. I saw one of my co-workers and said, "Oh, there's Miss Kirra." Then I got in the elevator with her and said hi to her. At first my fiance said I sounded a little too excited to see her and that I was probably checking her out. I told her that no, that's how I sound when I say hi to everybody at work. We didn't really talk that day. Later on when I brought it up, she said she didn't like the fact that I called her "Miss Kirra". She said that was a term on endearment between us and I ruined it by calling another woman Miss. She is now saying that she didn't have an issue with me saying hi, she only had an issue with me saying "Miss Kirra" before saying hi. One issue may be that we are on the phone every morning when I walk in to work and maybe I should let her go before I go in as that isn't professional anyway (I work in IT).

What are your thoughts about using the word Miss? Is it OK to use it with another woman at work? Is it OK to say it in front of your fiance? Is it considered flirting? Does it depend on if you have made some mistakes in your relationship? I was under the impression that it was being polite, but if it is considered flirty I will never do it again.
Dincall, if you are having ups and downs now, it will only be more extreme when you get married.

You have to decide now, is she worth all the sacrifice? There will only be more to come with marriages. If you have kids, be prepared to place yourself in last place and be selfless.

To me it sounds like she is very controlling and will continue to isolate you with your friends and more than likely your family. Is she worth it? If yes, than that's your choice. If no, than cut ties now.

This is coming from someone who has decided that the single life is the way to go. So, you may just want to stop reading now, and chalk it off as some miserable lonely person writing this. lol

My married friend said it this way. If you want kids, get married. If you don't, than don't get married. How important are kids to you?

I said enough, but read your post as it sounded like a cry for help.

I think the best thing you can do is study and learn from a couple who are happily married and talk to them regarding relationships. Most people in the singles forum are either divorced, or have no experience in long term relationships. Maybe that was statement was to generalized. Anyways...

Bottom line, relationships require sacrifice. Jesus showed what it takes to be a leader and it costed our Lord HIS life. Are you willing to follow suit with your sweet heart?!?! Relationships require work, so continue to work on the relationship, if that's what you want.

blueluna5

Jul 30, 2018
OK my fiance and I have been having some good times and some rough times. Right now we are in a rough patch. We have been in a relationship for two years.

I will do full disclosure because I want some good advice.

In the past, I have been reluctant to:
-Remove female friends from Facebook
-Remove old phone numbers from phone
-Stop talking to two female friends

Now I didn't communicate with the women on Facebook, and I didn't call any of the numbers in my phone. But I understand that I should have taken care of these things sooner. Because of this, there have been some trust issues. She thinks I sometimes want to reach out to women in my past.

The other day I was on the phone with my fiance while getting in the elevator at the garage. I saw one of my co-workers and said, "Oh, there's Miss Kirra." Then I got in the elevator with her and said hi to her. At first my fiance said I sounded a little too excited to see her and that I was probably checking her out. I told her that no, that's how I sound when I say hi to everybody at work. We didn't really talk that day. Later on when I brought it up, she said she didn't like the fact that I called her "Miss Kirra". She said that was a term on endearment between us and I ruined it by calling another woman Miss. She is now saying that she didn't have an issue with me saying hi, she only had an issue with me saying "Miss Kirra" before saying hi. One issue may be that we are on the phone every morning when I walk in to work and maybe I should let her go before I go in as that isn't professional anyway (I work in IT).

What are your thoughts about using the word Miss? Is it OK to use it with another woman at work? Is it OK to say it in front of your fiance? Is it considered flirting? Does it depend on if you have made some mistakes in your relationship? I was under the impression that it was being polite, but if it is considered flirty I will never do it again.
If you called a woman "miss" and that's how you say your fiancé name than yes I can see why she's ticked. 😆 you must be flirting and not even realize it.

As far as friends, my husband and I don't have opposite sex friends. It's much easier that way in my opinion. Granted we don't have any friends in general so it's easy for us.

His brother has a best friend who is a girl, while married. She was even in his wedding on the guy side. I think it's weird, but they live across the country now so it's irrelevant. She does not have guy friends and I doubt he would allow that. So it can be rather hypocritical. My husband doesn't want me talking with guys, therfore he has the same rule with women.

I know some people do. For us, it's good not to have that obstacle. The 1st day he comes home late hanging out, while I'm working from home, taking care of our sons, cleaning, making dinner and I'd be packing my bags. Dramatic yes, but I'm finally at the age I don't care. 😆

Godsgirl1983

Feb 2, 2023
I'm 56 and she is 46
I must admit that when I first read your earlier comments I thought you were both in the under 30 crowd :eek:
10 year age gap is pretty significant and can bring its own sets of challenges ( not judging, that's coming from someone who knows firsthand); however, at these ages maybe not so much as some one in their 20's/30's.

More concerning here though it comes back to her.
You mentioned she doesn't want to talk about her past, well at 46 there is A LOT of past.
I do not mean that to imply that she's been a whoreish slut her whole life. That is a very judgmental and unfair assumption.
What I am implying is that by not telling you things about her past (even just "hey I did x. or had x happen to me" without getting into full details) is alarming and concerning. You have childhood ( where we have very little to no control over what happens in/to our lives), teen years (where we have a little more control, but often make poor choices, and still at ages where it's very easy to be taken advantage of) and 20+ years of young adult/adulthood where we are responsible for our own choices- and yet still can fall into being victims of some sort of abuse.
Whatever it is that she is hiding from her past, (be it her own choices, or situations out of her control) SOMETHING has happened that she is carrying baggage around from and it would not be wise of you or fair to you to enter into a marriage without knowing.
Is she a controlling woman? Sure sounds like it, but I'm willing to bet that it is not just her personality causing her to respond like that.
Seek counseling with her, but if she's unwilling to at the very least open up about her past, I'd be very hesitant to consider a future together.

Godsgirl1983

Feb 2, 2023
As far as saying "miss" to other women, well it is a widely used (and socially appropriate and accepted) term for addressing women.
Maybe you need to have a chat with her about what "pet names" you each find to be exclusive to each other.

jennymae

Feb 28, 2020
Over here in Norway where I’m living now, it was kinda strange to learn that people didn’t address each other Mister/Miss/Missus (Herr/Frøken/Frue), or used Sir/Ma’am (Herr/Frue in a more formal manner) at all. Apparently they stopped using these terms in the 60s. Now it’s just teenage girls saying “Frøken” (Miss) to each other sometimes.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
I don’t remember if you mentioned it, but have you guys been to premarital counseling?

kinda

Jun 26, 2013
Over here in Norway where I’m living now, it was kinda strange to learn that people didn’t address each other Mister/Miss/Missus (Herr/Frøken/Frue), or used Sir/Ma’am (Herr/Frue in a more formal manner) at all. Apparently they stopped using these terms in the 60s. Now it’s just teenage girls saying “Frøken” (Miss) to each other sometimes.
How you end up in Norway, Froken jennymae?