Filled with the Spirit

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CherieR

May 6, 2017
How can you be filled with the Spirit so that your life and character reflects Christ?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Faith, faith comes by hearing the Word.............(studying It.)

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
How can you be filled with the Spirit so that your life and character reflects Christ?
Complete surrender to God. Offering all to Him as a living sacrifice.

beta

Aug 8, 2016
AS I understand the process of 'receiving God's Holy Spirit starts off very small with a 'promise and a 'downpayment/deposit of it Eph1v13.14.....the 'filling up follows as we 'use what we have been given. If we are not using and growing in what we have alredy deceived we will not be getting much more and this 'lack' will show in a weak and stunted growth of 'Godly Character. As I see it 'OBEDIENCE plays a big part in receiving and growing in the Holy Spirit Acts 5v32, Heb 5v9, but sadly there is very little teaching on this as everybody just seems to focus on Grace and forgiveness for all our wrong-doings. Important as these are (Grace & forgivness), they do not replace Obedience whichhelps us to fight sin and become more Christ-Like !

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
AS I understand the process of 'receiving God's Holy Spirit starts off very small with a 'promise and a 'downpayment/deposit of it Eph1v13.14.....the 'filling up follows as we 'use what we have been given. If we are not using and growing in what we have alredy deceived we will not be getting much more and this 'lack' will show in a weak and stunted growth of 'Godly Character. As I see it 'OBEDIENCE plays a big part in receiving and growing in the Holy Spirit Acts 5v32, Heb 5v9, but sadly there is very little teaching on this as everybody just seems to focus on Grace and forgiveness for all our wrong-doings. Important as these are (Grace & forgivness), they do not replace Obedience whichhelps us to fight sin and become more Christ-Like !
Amen. If we sow to the Spirit we will reap life from the Spirit.

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
You are so right sister, and the answer to this is truly the very glory of our God, at least from my point of view. I think the disconnect comes when we just stop at Gods grace and being saved, being saved is just the very first step, although a completely mind blowing, eye opening, life changing, unlike ANYTHING in life and a true miracle of God step, in an amazing rest of your life long journey. Salvation, being "born again", being truly reconciled to the true and living God, is what "fills us with His Spirit", this is how we obey Him, the ONLY way it's possible for man to obey God is if God indwells us thereby empowering us to see His intentions for us, the purpose for which we were created. This is also why God gets ALL glory for everything.

This is also why Jesus is the only way people can find true peace, He is the only way we can fill the void that being disconnected from God leaves in us. The thing is we don't know this unless we are taught it, but even then we can reject it, and we think we can fill that void in the way that makes sense to us, that is in and by the flesh, and by sight. The thing is the flesh is NEVER satisfied, so the ONLY way to "fix" the real problem in every human being is reconciliation to his Creator, and there is only 1 Way, and it just so happens that Way is also "THE" Truth, and "THE" Life, and no man comes to the Father but by Him. Once you are indwelt by His Holy Spirit this is what will guide you and empower you to seek God first, as you grow in you knowledge and relationship with God, He will put people in your life, and give you opportunities to learn, share, and grow in faith from victories, and even more so from failures and trials in my experience. I also want to say one last thing for encouragement, I believe that the desire to seek, obey, and put God above everything, as you have shared with us here is a very good indication of God working in you, and I pray that God continue to draw you to Himself and turn this fire inside you to know and obey Him into a blazing inferno that shines His glory through you for the world to see, and I pray this in Jesus name. Amen.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
We should be completely yielded to the Holy Spirit so that He can have complete control, in that sense, fill us. In Romans 8:9 and Ephesians 1:13-14, we read that the Holy Spirit indwells every believer, but the Holy Spirit can also be grieved (Ephesians 4:30) and by doing so we quench the Holy Spirit (1 Thessalonians 5:19).

When we allow this to happen, we do not experience the fullness of the Spirit's working and His power in and through us. To be filled with the Spirit implies freedom for Him to occupy every part of our lives, guiding and controlling us. Then His power can be exerted through us and our life and character reflects Christ.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Ga 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Empty of self will that I might be filled by the Holy Spirit to do the will of God.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Acts 19:1) And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples, 2) He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. 3) And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. 4) Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. 5) When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6) And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. 7) And all the men were about twelve.

This is how according to Scripture........

zone

Jun 13, 2010
read the Word daily and pray.

S

SpoonJuly

We are filled with the Holy Spirit the moment we are saved.
Following the leadership of the Holy Spirit that is already present in a saved person, results in a life that reflects Christ.
As Zone said, read the word daily and pray.

beta

Aug 8, 2016
You are so right sister, and the answer to this is truly the very glory of our God, at least from my point of view. I think the disconnect comes when we just stop at Gods grace and being saved, being saved is just the very first step, although a completely mind blowing, eye opening, life changing, unlike ANYTHING in life and a true miracle of God step, in an amazing rest of your life long journey. Salvation, being "born again", being truly reconciled to the true and living God, is what "fills us with His Spirit", this is how we obey Him, the ONLY way it's possible for man to obey God is if God indwells us thereby empowering us to see His intentions for us, the purpose for which we were created. This is also why God gets ALL glory for everything.

This is also why Jesus is the only way people can find true peace, He is the only way we can fill the void that being disconnected from God leaves in us. The thing is we don't know this unless we are taught it, but even then we can reject it, and we think we can fill that void in the way that makes sense to us, that is in and by the flesh, and by sight. The thing is the flesh is NEVER satisfied, so the ONLY way to "fix" the real problem in every human being is reconciliation to his Creator, and there is only 1 Way, and it just so happens that Way is also "THE" Truth, and "THE" Life, and no man comes to the Father but by Him. Once you are indwelt by His Holy Spirit this is what will guide you and empower you to seek God first, as you grow in you knowledge and relationship with God, He will put people in your life, and give you opportunities to learn, share, and grow in faith from victories, and even more so from failures and trials in my experience. I also want to say one last thing for encouragement, I believe that the desire to seek, obey, and put God above everything, as you have shared with us here is a very good indication of God working in you, and I pray that God continue to draw you to Himself and turn this fire inside you to know and obey Him into a blazing inferno that shines His glory through you for the world to see, and I pray this in Jesus name. Amen.
If indeed there is any 'good found in us it is entirely due to the patient work God has began in us. I too will pray He richly blesses you and your Family. Praise and Glory to our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ who gave His Life so we can gain Life !
It is 'good for Brethren to walk in agreement, Peace and Unity !

beta

Aug 8, 2016
Following the leadership of the Holy Spirit that is already present in a saved person, results in a life that reflects Christ.
Don't want to 'dampen your enthusiasm but you will find that a 'period of GROWING is involved when it comes to receiving God's Holy Spirit. 2Pt 3v18. What is a 'earnest but a small deposit or downpayment UNTIL the redemption of the purchased possession Eph1v14; Phil 3v21 when our fleshly body is changed....in the resurrection from the dead Rom 1v4.
Does it matter that TIME has to pass before being 'FILLED with the Spirit ? Obviously GOD thinks it necessary or He would not do it that way. I could say a lot more but let's just be prepared to follow GOD's instructions from the beginning and not invite danger in following our own understanding full of hazzards in rushing ahead.....UNseen by human eyes. Are we not told to take the long hard road and enter by the door ?

beta

Aug 8, 2016
It's a bit late to study the 'Highway Code (scripture) when you have already set off in TOP Gear (Filled with Spirit).
The full Power of the Spirit is not given to LEAD us but ASCEND/Resurrect us to the Father at the END of our Conversion. The small DEPOSIT/earnest is for our Leadership as Learners....starting us off gently and with care.
Satan has tampered with the human speedometer so we desire everything INSTANTLY and it is very evident in our earthly human life. We must not allow this to interfere with our 'spiritual growth which ''needs time'' Man must go into REVERSE to slow down or certain ''crash'' is inevitable!!!

Slayer

Jul 23, 2018
First of all you need to be one of Gods elect, then you deny yourself your own will and fully submit to Gods will and then you will be filled with the Holy Spirit

Sep 3, 2016
To be led by the Holy Spirit means complete control. When we study Luke Chapter 4, Luke points out four key words:

1. Full
2. Led
3. Power
4. Anointed

You can't be led by the Holy Spirit if you are not full of the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 5:6 King James Version (KJV)
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
It's a bit late to study the 'Highway Code (scripture) when you have already set off in TOP Gear (Filled with Spirit).
The full Power of the Spirit is not given to LEAD us but ASCEND/Resurrect us to the Father at the END of our Conversion. The small DEPOSIT/earnest is for our Leadership as Learners....starting us off gently and with care.
Satan has tampered with the human speedometer so we desire everything INSTANTLY and it is very evident in our earthly human life. We must not allow this to interfere with our 'spiritual growth which ''needs time'' Man must go into REVERSE to slow down or certain ''crash'' is inevitable!!!
In a way I understand what you're saying and agree, but I think I disagree with you're view on the "instantly" thing. God did change me instantly, radically, and totally, overnight by His Spirit. I do understand that this is a personal thing between God and the person, so salvation can be very different from person to person. This may be the "small deposit" that you mentioned, so I may just be misunderstanding exactly what you're saying. I believe that this is just the very first step, but for me this step was very big and was as instant as it could be. This is the very point and way that God empowers man making him now capable of seeking and obeying God for the very first time, and this only happens through and by His power having indwelt us with His Holy Spirit. This may be exactly what you meant anyway, and I also agree it's not in it's full glory yet either, not until the final enemy is destroyed (death) and the whole creation and everything in it is restored to it's full glory. I also understand what you mean in regard to slowing down, we do have to be still and let God lead, trying to go too fast at the expense of the truth, we can't expect everything instantly. The only reason I even made this comment was I thought it kind of sounded like you were saying that being born again, your spirit being made alive by grace, through faith in Jesus, wasn't or couldn't be a "instant" thing. I do see a few things though that suggest I may not have understood you completely though. If so I apologize, and have a awesome day and weekend, if not and you are saying that salvation is really more of a process than an event, the I would really like to hear what you think salvation truly is. If you don't mind sharing, and I am asking this in honest curiosity, not in any kind of condescending tone at all, just want to know what exactly you think salvation is and meand if a process.

beta

Aug 8, 2016
In a way I understand what you're saying and agree, but I think I disagree with you're view on the "instantly" thing. God did change me instantly, radically, and totally, overnight by His Spirit. I do understand that this is a personal thing between God and the person, so salvation can be very different from person to person. This may be the "small deposit" that you mentioned, so I may just be misunderstanding exactly what you're saying. I believe that this is just the very first step, but for me this step was very big and was as instant as it could be. This is the very point and way that God empowers man making him now capable of seeking and obeying God for the very first time, and this only happens through and by His power having indwelt us with His Holy Spirit. This may be exactly what you meant anyway, and I also agree it's not in it's full glory yet either, not until the final enemy is destroyed (death) and the whole creation and everything in it is restored to it's full glory. I also understand what you mean in regard to slowing down, we do have to be still and let God lead, trying to go too fast at the expense of the truth, we can't expect everything instantly. The only reason I even made this comment was I thought it kind of sounded like you were saying that being born again, your spirit being made alive by grace, through faith in Jesus, wasn't or couldn't be a "instant" thing. I do see a few things though that suggest I may not have understood you completely though. If so I apologize, and have a awesome day and weekend, if not and you are saying that salvation is really more of a process than an event, the I would really like to hear what you think salvation truly is. If you don't mind sharing, and I am asking this in honest curiosity, not in any kind of condescending tone at all, just want to know what exactly you think salvation is and meand if a process.
A very interesting, kind and respectful Post from which we can learn a lot ! I'll just go straight to the point in question...Salvation. It can be 'instant and a 'growth-process at the same time....as I understand.
When GOD pulls us out of the mire we are saved from further sinking into it and ending up in hell....but is that it ? Is that Salvation ? Does that get us into heaven ? I think not ! We have yet to learn living the 'NEW WAY' which is hard and narrow AND we have to 'endure to the end of our days....(in my case now nearly 40 years !) the same shall be saved Mat 10v22.
Please don't think I'm belittling the Salvation of the LORD....if it was not for HIM we would have no chance of New Life whatever !!! But He is 'training the 'saved Creature to be 'conformed to HIS image and that means we have new things to learn....we can not get into His KGD until we are CLEANED UP and REbuilt in Spirit. From personal experience and scripture I would say that takes time....unless I am just a slow learner.
Hope that answers your question , but of course there is much more that can be said....given time and patience. God bless you, nice to talk to you !

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
A very interesting, kind and respectful Post from which we can learn a lot ! I'll just go straight to the point in question...Salvation. It can be 'instant and a 'growth-process at the same time....as I understand.
When GOD pulls us out of the mire we are saved from further sinking into it and ending up in hell....but is that it ? Is that Salvation ? Does that get us into heaven ? I think not ! We have yet to learn living the 'NEW WAY' which is hard and narrow AND we have to 'endure to the end of our days....(in my case now nearly 40 years !) the same shall be saved Mat 10v22.
Please don't think I'm belittling the Salvation of the LORD....if it was not for HIM we would have no chance of New Life whatever !!! But He is 'training the 'saved Creature to be 'conformed to HIS image and that means we have new things to learn....we can not get into His KGD until we are CLEANED UP and REbuilt in Spirit. From personal experience and scripture I would say that takes time....unless I am just a slow learner.
Hope that answers your question , but of course there is much more that can be said....given time and patience. God bless you, nice to talk to you !
To be honest I think we agree 100%, I think "being saved" is just the very beginning, and even though I believe that we are 100% saved in that moment, it is just the very beginning of learning to see and live in obedience to Him. In 0other words people can see the result of this salvation. I do not think when we are saved we put our feet up and await death, when we are saved we are now commanded to go and make disciples of ALL nations, once we are saved we can now effectively take our role in the building of the Kingdom. The more I read your comment, the more I see how my first reading was a bit off anyway, but I also truly appreciate and love being able to discuss these things without trying to smack each other down. Anyway thank you for the response and have a great weekend.