Filthy Lucre

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
what is this...in the Bible Titus 1:11
is it the same as 'dirty money' if so, what exactly is it these days
How can you tell if money is clean or dirty?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
If the money smells funky you should properly dispose it.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
It's a reference to selling something of no value or detrimental value. The money gained from such a transaction is "dirty" and unacceptable to be given to God.

Judas tried to return the money given to him for betraying Jesus but the priests couldn't return the money to the Temple treasury because it was already tainted "blood money"...aka unclean.

Wages from engaging in prostitution of course is prohibited money.

There's a lot of ways money can be tainted....if you goof off all week instead of actually working your paycheck is basically stolen wages... meaning it is unclean/filthy money.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
hmm. what about 'profit margin' in retail...? is that filthy lucre? Because retailers add at least twice as much to the value of their goods to make a profit. Nobody can buy anything at cost price in retail.

Jul 28, 2021
hmm. what about 'profit margin' in retail...? is that filthy lucre? Because retailers add at least twice as much to the value of their goods to make a profit. Nobody can buy anything at cost price in retail.
Profit is not dishonest gain because you don't have to make the purchase. If you willingly make a purchase knowing the vendor is making a profit (why else would they sell you something?), then you have agreed to pay the price they are asking.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Profit is not dishonest gain because you don't have to make the purchase. If you willingly make a purchase knowing the vendor is making a profit (why else would they sell you something?), then you have agreed to pay the price they are asking.
but then what about prostituion dont the people who pay prostitutes pay the price they are asking? You dont have to make the purchase....

Jul 28, 2021
but then what about prostituion dont the people who pay prostitutes pay the price they are asking? You dont have to make the purchase....
How did you make the leap from retail purchase to prostitution?

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
The term "keystone" is used a lot in clothing retail stores... just not in the hearing of customers.

Keystone means that if an item costs $25 wholesale it is retailed out at $50.
And when leftover stock out of season comes along it is usually sold at either cost or at a loss. Making the entire margin of profit very slim but reasonable...those people who are a clothes horse or buying clothes for the latest fashion are the ones paying the most.

Not filthy lucre but a normal accepted business model. Usually a lot of credit to pay for the clothes is necessary as well as cost of the commercial real estate and sales personnel eats at profits too. For some reason they want paychecks for going to work.

And they still have discount stores like Ross and Walmart if you just want some clothes to cover you...

It's not Macy's or Bloomingdale latest fashion...but they are not going to go broke either.

Of course if you bought custom made clothes all the time... people would probably start talking about your extravagant wardrobe.

Retail stocks like Walmart are going up lately and said to be rising. I don't invest in retail stocks...but I know plenty of people who do. It's not taking advantage of people. So the money is "clean".

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
In Titus, the problem was corrupt teachers teaching false doctrine for gain of some sort—probably financial, though the Greek's not specific about that. As an example of how this might translate into this day, I'd give Catholic Charities. There have been times when I sure could've used some help but I refuse to get it from them, knowing the false teaching that's behind it. Today there are too many false teachers to count who are teaching things they shouldn't for financial gain.

You can't always know where money comes from though; but it never hurts to ask yourself where it came from. If it's "dirty" to you, you probably shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Duckybill

Aug 16, 2021
Money becomes filthy when you LOVE it.

1 Timothy 6:10 (NKJV)
10 For
the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil,

Aug 20, 2021
Truly the love of sin is the root of all evil.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
The term "keystone" is used a lot in clothing retail stores... just not in the hearing of customers.

Keystone means that if an item costs $25 wholesale it is retailed out at $50.
And when leftover stock out of season comes along it is usually sold at either cost or at a loss. Making the entire margin of profit very slim but reasonable...those people who are a clothes horse or buying clothes for the latest fashion are the ones paying the most.

Not filthy lucre but a normal accepted business model. Usually a lot of credit to pay for the clothes is necessary as well as cost of the commercial real estate and sales personnel eats at profits too. For some reason they want paychecks for going to work.

And they still have discount stores like Ross and Walmart if you just want some clothes to cover you...

It's not Macy's or Bloomingdale latest fashion...but they are not going to go broke either.

Of course if you bought custom made clothes all the time... people would probably start talking about your extravagant wardrobe.

Retail stocks like Walmart are going up lately and said to be rising. I don't invest in retail stocks...but I know plenty of people who do. It's not taking advantage of people. So the money is "clean".
oh ok so nobody should really be buying expesnive clothes then, if they do, they probably just spending their own ill-gotten gains right?

Aug 20, 2021
HisKid:Sometimes god gives our body to the devil so we learn how not blasphemy.I know of some one in r church that became such.no one in the church seems to be aware of this.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
oh ok so nobody should really be buying expesnive clothes then, if they do, they probably just spending their own ill-gotten gains right?
I wouldn't say that either...

Some people are appointed by God to be wealthy...most are just appointed to middle class or low income.

Money in itself is not evil.
The love of money is evil. One that leads to all sorts of sins....just like the hatred of people who have money is described as some of the worst sins. (Judgementalism and unforgiveness and lack of grace extension)

Jesus was known for reaching out to all walks of life. Paul was as well... purple cloth was a very high dollar commodity.

S

SophieT

is that what you really want to talk about and just kind of fudged your way here?

do prostitutes spend their money on expensive clothes?

so many questions...inquiring minds want to know :unsure:

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
is that what you really want to talk about and just kind of fudged your way here?

do prostitutes spend their money on expensive clothes?

so many questions...inquiring minds want to know :unsure:
Yeah....I'm kinda curious as to exactly what kind of clothes a prostitute wears...it's been many decades since I've had to drive in that part of town here in Nashville...
And I have no real clue as to how to recognize one.

S

SophieT

Yeah....I'm kinda curious as to exactly what kind of clothes a prostitute wears...it's been many decades since I've had to drive in that part of town here in Nashville...
And I have no real clue as to how to recognize one.

who knows

this thread could prove useful to you then

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
Preaching the gospel in order to raise money is filthy lucre, many preachers have panged themselves with many sorrows doing it.

There should never be any hint, not even the slightest hint of any link between ministry and prayer and donations.