First Word of Jesus was repent

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Diakonos

Jan 19, 2019
Anacortes, WA
Christ started His earthly ministry by asking us to repent.
You surely do have lots of answers! But all the answers don't erase the fact that when Jesus began to preach it was "Repent for the Kingdom of Heaven has come". Matt. 4:17.
Jesus' earthly ministry started with Him saying "Give me a drink" in John Chapter 4. But his Galilean ministry started with "repent..."

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
So does that mean our repentance is also in a figurative sense? ;)
According to the way that some interpret the bible assigning a figurative interpretation to an obvious literal interpretation, I would say that there might be a few that would say it is figurative even though it is literal, and the salvation status permenant.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
It’s my understanding that those are the Father’s first words recorded in scripture.
Actually, God said "Let there be light" and God is comprised of three separate entities, the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit. They spoke in unison and in harmony with each other.

Jan 12, 2019
According to the way that some interpret the bible assigning a figurative interpretation to an obvious literal interpretation, I would say that there might be a few that would say it is figurative even though it is literal, and the salvation status permenant.
My perspective towards repentance based on what that verse is saying is this: The idea of repentance is actually more for the Jews and can be viewed from the parable of the tenants, told in all 3 synoptic gospels. (Matthew 21:33–46; Mark 12:1-12; Luke 20:9-19)

When Jesus and the 12 were preaching from Matt-John, they need to repent of rejecting God their Father in the OT, and believe in his Son is their promised King and Messiah, as foretold by their prophets. The Jewish nation had rejected and killed many of those prophets.

God had mercy on them and now decided to send his Son to them now. But as Jesus told them in the parable of the tenants, they were wicked and decided to slay the son instead, thinking they can then take control of the vineyard. The words they told Pilate was really horrific from this perspective

Matthew 27:25 Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children.

When Jesus was on the cross, he asked his father to forgive them for this act, because they know not what they do, the Father agreed to Jesus request.

So when Peter urged his Jewish brothers at Pentecost to repent (Acts 2:38), they are to repent from their horrific act of murdering the Son of God, and accept him once again as the Son of God and their King, since Jesus's resurrection showed, as Peter stated, he is indeed the Messiah and the Son of God. (Acts 2:36)

Jun 6, 2020
Actually, God said "Let there be light" and God is comprised of three separate entities, the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit. They spoke in unison and in harmony with each other.
Are you’re saying that when we read “he“ in the creation account it should be “they”?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Are you’re saying that when we read “he“ in the creation account it should be “they”?
Yes, because it is stated by God "Let us make man in our own image and likeness. That is plural. Rather than 'they' perhaps 'we'. Now, in the garden, it was just the Lord who walked with Adam in the cool of the evening. Not entirely sure but the Lord is probably referring to Jesus even though the use of the term Lord in the OT in most cases is probably referring to the Father.

Jun 6, 2020
Yes, because it is stated by God "Let us make man in our own image and likeness. That is plural.
Thanks. I of course agree with you that “us” is plural. I agree the explanation of Genesis 1:26 found in the NET.

What do you think then about the Apostles Creed? (The opening line of the creed explicitly identifies the Father as the maker of heaven and earth.)

Rather than 'they' perhaps 'we'.
So when we read, for example, “God said, ‘I have given you every plant...’” (Gen. 1:29) you’re suggesting that it should read, “We have given you...’”?

Now, in the garden, it was just the Lord who walked with Adam in the cool of the evening. Not entirely sure but the Lord is probably referring to Jesus even though the use of the term Lord in the OT in most cases is probably referring to the Father.
So not the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit (“we”, “they”, “us”) walking in unison in the garden?

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I'm sorry, but you are wrong on just about every aspect of your thread.

First off, I said nothing about sins being dead or alive. I have no idea why you made that comment. I DID say we need to repent of dead works. This was the primary stumbling block for the Jew, and what Jesus was talking about.
Hebrews 6:1 New King James Version (NKJV)
The Peril of Not Progressing
6 Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,
Secondly, if we are talking about the first words Jesus spoke, what you posted are at least the 3rd recorded words.

This one when He was 12:
Luke 2:49 New King James Version (NKJV)
49 And He said to them, “Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?”

This, when He was an adult:
Matthew 3:15 New King James Version (NKJV)
15 But Jesus answered and said to him, “Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he allowed Him.

Lastly, EVEN the verse you quoted doesn't fit the narrative that we have to follow any Law, or that Jesus' Sacrifice ALONE isn't sufficient for Salvation. Mark expounds upon the verse:
Mark 1:15 New King James Version (NKJV)
15 and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and BELIEVE IN THE GOSPEL.”
I am sorry, I truly misunderstood you.

I am doing a very in depth study of Matthew, and right now it is on the Sermon on the Mt. Jesus asks those who follow Him to be so very disciplined so we not only follow the law but follow it with our heart and soul. It is so opposite to what so many say about relying on the forgiveness Christ offers us to cover even our desire for sin. I feel very protective of the word of the Lord.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Thanks. I of course agree with you that “us” is plural. I agree the explanation of Genesis 1:26 found in the NET.

What do you think then about the Apostles Creed? (The opening line of the creed explicitly identifies the Father as the maker of heaven and earth.)

So when we read, for example, “God said, ‘I have given you every plant...’” (Gen. 1:29) you’re suggesting that it should read, “We have given you...’”?

So not the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit (“we”, “they”, “us”) walking in unison in the garden?
It seems clear to me that the Father is the ultimate authority and that the Father and the authority He granted to the Son would include creating the universe and everything in it. The Father cannot look at sin so therefore it was Jesus who walked in the garden with Adam and confronted him on the sin that he had committed. I don't fully understand how each part of the Trinity interacts with each other but only to say that it is the Father who is the ultimate authority, and that Jesus carries out the tasks that the Father has trusted Jesus to do under the guidance of the Holy Spirit who is our Lord and Savior and died for our sins.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
The Greek word for "repent" is "metanoia" (noun) and "matanoeo" (verb) you see as defined in the Strongs #3340, 3341: to think differently or afterwards, reconsider. After thought, change of mind. Repentance basically means a "change of mind" and the context must determine what is involved in this change of mind. Where salvation is in view, repentance actually "precedes" saving faith in Christ and is not a totally separate act from faith. It is actually the same coin with two sides. Repentance is on one side (what you change your mind about) and faith in Christ is on the positive side (the new direction of this change of mind). *Repentance and faith are two sides of the same experience of receiving Christ.

In the context of Luke 13:3, Jesus challenged the people's notion that they were morally superior to those who suffered in such catastrophes. He called all to repent or perish. For some people though, prior to coming to the end result of repentance in receiving salvation (faith in Christ) they must change their minds about other specific things in order to get there. Repentance, metanoia, focuses on changing one's mind about his previous concept of God, as in Acts 17:30 and disbelief in God or false beliefs (polytheism and idolatry) about God, as in 1 Thessalonians 1:9. On the other hand, this change of mind, focuses on the new direction that change about God must ultimately take, namely, trusting in Jesus Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation.

Certain people misunderstand the term "repentance" to simply mean "completely stop sinning." That is not the Biblical definition of repentance. In the Bible, the word "repent" means to "change your mind." The Bible also tells us that true repentance will result in a change of actions. Acts 26:20 declares, "I preached that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance by their deeds." This is the fruit of repentance (Matthew 3:8) and not the essence of repentance (change of mind). Certain people confuse the "fruit of repentance" with the "essence of repentance" (and also do the same thing with faith) and end up teaching salvation by works.

I have heard certain people say, "If you want to be saved, repent of your sins, turn from your sins." If turning from your sins means to stop sinning, then people can only be saved if they stop sinning. If that was the case, then nobody will be saved since we don't know anyone who has ever "completely stopped sinning" and those who believe they live a sinless, without fault or defect, flawless, absolute perfect life 100% of the time (exactly as Jesus lived) are suffering from a terminal case of self righteousness. (1 John 1:8-10)

Jun 6, 2020
It seems clear to me that the Father is the ultimate authority and that the Father and the authority He granted to the Son would include creating the universe and everything in it. The Father cannot look at sin so therefore it was Jesus who walked in the garden with Adam and confronted him on the sin that he had committed. I don't fully understand how each part of the Trinity interacts with each other but only to say that it is the Father who is the ultimate authority, and that Jesus carries out the tasks that the Father has trusted Jesus to do under the guidance of the Holy Spirit who is our Lord and Savior and died for our sins.
Thank you.

I understand that the Apostles Creed is post-biblical but I believe it is correct in identifying the Father, not Jesus, as the maker of heaven and earth.

Why do you say “The Father cannot look at sin”? My understanding is that he sees the evil and the good; that nothing is hidden from his sight.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Thank you.

I understand that the Apostles Creed is post-biblical but I believe it is correct in identifying the Father, not Jesus, as the maker of heaven and earth.

Why do you say “The Father cannot look at sin”? My understanding is that he sees the evil and the good; that nothing is hidden from his sight.
Perhaps I am in error on this point as I can't find anything in the bible to substantiate that claim. Not sure at all where I came up with that perception. Obviously, I need to do more research on this so as to ascertain the truth of the matter.

Jun 6, 2020
Perhaps I am in error on this point as I can't find anything in the bible to substantiate that claim. Not sure at all where I came up with that perception. Obviously, I need to do more research on this so as to ascertain the truth of the matter.
Love your Berean attitude!

Mar 28, 2016
Christians often scold other Christians for trying to be perfect before the Lord. They point out that it is impossible to achieve perfection and it is prideful to even try. They point to the fact that our personal righteousness does not save us, we are misinformed to even try to achieve it.

Repentance would necessarily mean working toward our personal ability to be righteous. Jesus told us in His very first message to us to repent.

Matthews 4:17 From then on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven has become near”.
Repent to turn or the word comfort. Both come from same word. I think you could say turn to comfort ?

Yes repent as a loving commandment and we in turn can turn because we have imputed righteousness it working in us turn us towards him who has no form.

Repent "to comfort one self" is a work Christ workings in us. Formally as natural man we were like a Bullock. Strong self willed. (Jerimiah below)

If Jesus has begun the good work of calling us to repent he will finish it to the end .(Philippians 1:6)

If it is not he who turns us so that then we can comfort our selves then who? Our own self ?

If that was the case. How could we find him in order to understand? According to Romans 3. No one of their own volition can seek in order to understand. The Holy Spirit must do the first work.. . Our first love. . . hearing God. From that perspective I believe we can repent.

Two turnings. First and foremost he turns us then in return we can comfort our own self. Hoping to put away childish things . No fool like a older one . There is always room to put them away when he reminds us.

Beautiful parable below

Jeremiah 31:17-19 King James Version (KJV) And there is hope in thine end, saith the Lord, that thy children shall come again to their own border. I have surely heard Ephraim bemoaning himself thus; Thou hast chastised me, and I was chastised, as a bullock unaccustomed to the yoke: turn thou me, and I shall be turned; for thou art the Lord my God. Surely after that I was turned, I repented; and after that I was instructed, I smote upon my thigh: I was ashamed, yea, even confounded, because I did bear the reproach of my youth.

Reminded of

Ecclesiastes 12:1-7 King James Version (KJV) Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them; While the sun, or the light, or the moon, or the stars, be not darkened, nor the clouds return after the rain: In the day when the keepers of the house shall tremble, and the strong men shall bow themselves, and the grinders cease because they are few, and those that look out of the windows be darkened, And the doors shall be shut in the streets, when the sound of the grinding is low, and he shall rise up at the voice of the bird, and all the daughters of musick shall be brought low; Also when they shall be afraid of that which is high, and fears shall be in the way, and the almond tree shall flourish, and the grasshopper shall be a burden, and desire shall fail: because man goeth to his long home, and the mourners go about the streets: Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern. Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

If we are given a new spirit it will rise on the last day .

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Unlrdd you agree with Constantine that we must never follow the Jews, their sages told us how to read scripture. They said it was literally true history, and it was spiritually true at the same time. All of it also, they said, has hidden meaning. We can follow them as long as we accept that Christ is the Son of God given from the beginning for our salvation.

We are limiting our understanding if we deny either aspect of the word.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Matthews 4:17 From then on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven has become near”.
The Gospel cannot be divorced from the preaching of repentance. John the Baptist, as well as Peter on the day of Pentecost, preached repentance. They were following Christ, who said that repentance is for the remission of sins, and that is exactly what Peter said after Pentecost.

CHRIST TEACHING BEFORE HIS ASCENSION
46 And [Christ] said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: 47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48 And ye are witnesses of these things. (Luke 24:46-48)

PETER PREACHING AFTER PENTECOST
19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; 20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you. (Acts 3:19,20)

PAUL ADDRESSING THE ELDERS OF EPHESUS
20 And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house, 21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ. (Acts 20:10,21)

Diakonos

Jan 19, 2019
Anacortes, WA
It’s my understanding that those are the Father’s first words recorded in scripture.
John 1, Colossians 1 and other passages attribute Jesus as the creator of the universe:

"All things came into being through Him (The Logos), and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being"

"For by Him (Jesus) all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him"

Jun 6, 2020
John 1, Colossians 1 and other passages attribute Jesus as the creator of the universe:

"All things came into being through Him (The Logos), and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being"

"For by Him (Jesus) all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him"
1. A contradiction of the Apostles Creed.
2. For John 1 see English translations prior to 1611.
3. Colossians 1 attributes the new creation, not the Genesis creation, to Jesus.