Five Foolish Virgins VS Five Wise Virgins

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Scribe

I am sorry it failed to help you
Don't take it personally. Do you understand how distracting the attention from the wedding tradition can make it incomprehensible? One must imagine hearing the parable spoken and getting the "Ah Ha! I get it" experience that would have happened as soon as it was heard. No one would have had to research the bible and spend time figuring out riddles. It was meant to be grasped immediately like a punch line in a joke is expected to be understood and a mental jogging take place upon hearing it. A parable like this is intended to teach a lesson that is immediately grasped. A "OH... I understand Now" experience.

To say "You must always watch and pray because you don't know when the Lord is going to come back" is very sound advice. But when you tell me a parable that leaves me feeling really sorry for the five foolish virgins for having missed out, I suddenly see that I could be one of those if I don't watch and pray and and this has me thinking about what I can do to MAKE SURE I am not one of them. It is a frightening and terrifying concept having been made so much more tangible in this illustration.

Add too many allegories to the details of the illustration and you are soon teaching a lesson Jesus never intended.

I know that I am up against centuries of bad hermeneutics on this parable but the lesson Jesus wanted to teach is so important it is worth clarifying over and over.

MikkoAinasoja

Nov 19, 2014
What is your take of Matthew 25:1-13 -
Mine is this, The Five Foolish Virgins are those living after the flesh and dying (Rom 8:13a) -
The Five Wise Virgins will put to death the deeds of the body and live (Rom 8:13b).
I see the foolish virgins as a christian's who lived anyway they wanted without serving really God. But then when the time comes they finally start look to ways improve they deeds as a christian's and servants of God, but in the last minute. And they fails, because they are too late for that, and they never get to know our Savior and our God, and therefor they are banished forever with those who never even claim to be a christian's.

So the clear exhortation here is that let us be ready for our Lord. Let us be ready now.

Jul 23, 2018
Well this is a good example of how bad a doctrine can become by turning a parable into an allegory of ones own imagination.

11 “Later the others also came. ‘Lord, Lord,’ they said, ‘open the door for us!’

12 “But he replied, ‘Truly I tell you, I don’t know you.’

13 “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.

That is how the parable ends and you have no authority to give it a different ending.

There is no such thing as saved Christians worthy to go up in the rapture and another group of saved Christians who are not. I think Joseph A. Seiss taught something similar to this in his book on The Parable of the Ten Virgins in 1862. It is in the open domain.
As good as Joseph A Seiss was in his writings, especially about his pre tribulation pre millennial rapture presentation in "The Apocalypse: Lectures on Revelation" a 900 page verse by verse commentary on Revelation, I don't agree with everything he says, and his interpretation on this Parable of the Ten Virgins is one of those.

This parable has an end. They are shut out. And not known. Adding an additional chapter to this story, a happy ending to it that comes later, is pure imagination and should smite the conscience to attempt to do so.

Concerning the Bema Seat of Christ:
As I explained previously, if you read the context of this passage in 1 Cor 3 concerning the Bema Seat of Christ it is very clear that Paul is talking about himself and Apollos teachings and ministry as examples of being the kind of works that are judged at the Bema seat of Christ.

5 What then is Apollos? What is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, as the Lord assigned to each. 6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. 7 So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth. 8 He who plants and he who waters are one, and each will receive his wages according to his labor. 9 For we are God's fellow workers. You are God's field, God's building.

10 According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled[b] master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building upon it. Let each one take care how he builds upon it. 11 For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw— 13 each one's work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. 14 If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.

You see they were arguing over which minister was better, Paul, Apollos, and Peter. This is what made them carnal in Pauls definiton of why they were carnal. They had divided into schism over their arguments. (1 Cor 3:3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, ) One group thought that Apollos was a better speaker because he was eloquent and Paul was weak in bodily presence they said, (He was not but that is what some were reported to be saying) and some cared more for Peter and they were causing division by saying things that suggested that these men were contrary in their message but Paul is setting them straight that all of these ministers were engaged in the same work of God together all doing their individual called parts (planting, watering, etc) and not divided like they would have them to be. This explanation he gives about the foundation and building on it, is about their individual ministries and missions from God to build on that foundation of Christ and if they were to build on it a message that distracts from this foundation of Christ then it would not endure the fire on that day. That means they would have no reward for that kind of teaching or ministry work but will still be saved.

Maybe this interpretation of the 5 foolish virgins getting saved in the end would be an example of wood, hay, stubble. Don't waste your time on it. Let the parable end with the ending that Jesus gave it. 12 “But he replied, ‘Truly I tell you, I don’t know you.’

If you insist on teaching that the 5 foolish virgins eventually get oil and can join the procession, which is long over then you have some explaining to do. The more you explain the further away from the lesson of the parable you venture. In the end it, this whole teaching will burn up at the bema seat of Christ and you will get no reward for it. It is wood, hay and stubble.
Tell it to Jesus.
He said " pray that you be counted worthy to escape the things...."
Tell Jesus what He should say.

The 10 virgin parable is that very dimension.
Worthy / NOT WORTHY.

All virgins. All 10 of them.
All had light, lamps, oil, purity, undefiled, and were watching and waiting for Jesus.
Unquestionably saved born again believers.

.....but that hurts your deal

I do realize that

Doctrines can do that.

Thank you Jesus for your bible.

Your doctrine destroying bible.

Jul 23, 2018
Here are a few things that could probrably be linked a little better but its the best I could do for now,.

Virgins mentioned here

Songs 1:3 Because of the savour of thy good ointments thy name is as ointment poured forth,
therefore do the virgins love thee.

A time when the Kingdom of heaven will be likened to ten of them.

Mat 25:1 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.

2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.

His word is a lamp to our feet, but so is the spirit of man the lamp of the Lord (which we take with us wherever we go) inwardly is where the oil would be

Mat 25:3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:

Here it speaks of the dwelling of them (who are wise) in respects to oil and the man that is foolish spending it up

Prov 20:20 There is treasure to be desired and oil in the dwelling of the wise;
but a foolish man spendeth it up. (See also, Proverbs 29:3, 1 Cr 6:15-16)

Which appears to mirror the treasure to be desired and oil the foolih seek from the wise

Mat 25:8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.

Their lamps go out, just as it says here

Prov 13:9 The light of the righteous rejoiceth: but the lamp of the wicked shall be put out.

Again this way

Prov 20:20 There is treasure to be desired and oil in the dwelling of the wise...

2Cr 4:7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

Just like the foolish Simon says give me also this oil (or excellency of power) or treasure in this earthen vessel

Acts 8:18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money, Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.

Whereas the wise answered the foolish saying

Mat 25:29 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.

Whereas Peter answers Simon saying

Acts 8:19 But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.

So the wise virgins response "Not so, go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves". (In Mat 25:29) Would seem to indicate a time of apostasy.

We can buy and sell earthly things, but truth also is something that is shown as something that we should buy but not sell.

Proverbs 23:23 Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding.

But then here also, The wise and foolish are spoken of in other examples even as Ewq pointed out,

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

(So the wise hear his sayings and doeth them= the foundation, the rock)

Mat 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

Mat 7:26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

Who are as one without a foundation (in contrast to the wise) but

2Titus 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

The double "Lords" or the "Lord, Lord's" which are shown coming from the foolish are also present in the parable of the foolish virgins, "Lord, Lord, open up to us" (Mat 25:11) and his response to them was that he knew them not.

Whereas there were those also (which did works 'in his name") that worked iniquity to whom he professed he never knew

Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

These are calling him "Lord Lord" (which do not as He says) and likewise say to Him...

Mat 25:11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.

He responds to them the same way He responds to them which work iniquity

Mat 25:12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.

Who I will not know (and will depart from Him)

Psalms 101:4 A froward heart shall depart from me: I will not know a wicked person.

And so again, the Lord knoweth them that are his and are warned that them who name the name of Christ to depart from iniquity

2Titus 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity

The foundation the seal (the Lord knows them that are his) those that name his name are to depart from iniquity right? But there are shown those come in his name and working iniquity who were told to depart from him. Its an either or, either depart from inquity or depart from him who work iniquity.

So where the oil are shown in the earthen vessel/dwelling of the wise

Prov 20:20 There is treasure to be desired and oil in the dwelling of the wise; but a foolish man spendeth it up.

And the foolish reccognized the oil to be desired in the dwelling of the wise (Mat 25:3) as their lamps ( just as the lamp of the wicked would be put out (Proverbs 13:9)

Proverbs 20:20 also says, "but the foolish man spendeth it up"

Proverbs 29:3 Whoso loveth wisdom rejoiceth his father: but he that keepeth company with harlots spendeth his substance

1Cr 6:15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.

Our body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you (The treasure in the earthern vessel) but spending up of ones substance is spoken of in the above also.

Theres a few things that are kind of hard to order up but have some common things shown in various other places. I keep adding to it as I find more. Maybe these can help someone else in their search.
Couple things to factor in

The foolish were not wicked, but believers.
The groom was delayed, which showcased those with abundant oil ( Holy Spirit)
The request for transfer is not evil. That is how the Holy Spirit is given in acts ( via laying on of hands).
Simon wanted a gift to wield power...not Jesus' personal indwelling and the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. ( simon had a heart issue).

The " buy" is not money and the "sell" is not a merchant.

That is not how we recieve the Holy Spirit.

Components of the parable are inseparable from the meaning.

For example, in the prodigal, there are 2 brothers. 2 are in the story for a reason.

Jul 23, 2018
Don't take it personally. Do you understand how distracting the attention from the wedding tradition can make it incomprehensible? One must imagine hearing the parable spoken and getting the "Ah Ha! I get it" experience that would have happened as soon as it was heard. No one would have had to research the bible and spend time figuring out riddles. It was meant to be grasped immediately like a punch line in a joke is expected to be understood and a mental jogging take place upon hearing it. A parable like this is intended to teach a lesson that is immediately grasped. A "OH... I understand Now" experience.

To say "You must always watch and pray because you don't know when the Lord is going to come back" is very sound advice. But when you tell me a parable that leaves me feeling really sorry for the five foolish virgins for having missed out, I suddenly see that I could be one of those if I don't watch and pray and and this has me thinking about what I can do to MAKE SURE I am not one of them. It is a frightening and terrifying concept having been made so much more tangible in this illustration.

Add too many allegories to the details of the illustration and you are soon teaching a lesson Jesus never intended.

I know that I am up against centuries of bad hermeneutics on this parable but the lesson Jesus wanted to teach is so important it is worth clarifying over and over.
Yep
Sounds good to me

4ChristAlone

Couple things to factor in

The foolish were not wicked, but believers.
They were shut out from Christ regardless. However, them calling him, "Lord Lord" is perhaps more a figure of their own "double mindedness". Might be a bit of speculation but the same thing is shown repeated in Mat 7:21-22, Mat 25;11, Luke 6:46, and Luke 13:25 which ended up with them all being locked out and the Lord not knowing them.

The comparison to the wicked was based moreso in the fact that their lamps went out and how the wicked's lamps were going to be put out and them being locked out and Jesus confirming he knew them not. I dont believe I should justify them since Jesus does not do so.

The groom was delayed, which showcased those with abundant oil ( Holy Spirit)
Yes, the wise and the foolish are presented to us and the wise are showcased (as you call it) with oil whereas the foolish are showcased as those whose lamps went out (unto whom) the Lord said he knew them not (Mat 25:12) whereas the Lord knoweth them that actually are his 2 Ti 2:19

So when

Mat 25:8 ... the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out

This picture agrees with oil being in the dwelling of the wise

Prov 21:20 There is treasure to be desired and oil in the dwelling of the wise;

It also says, but a foolish man spendeth it up

A foolish man is used in contrast to the wise which have oil in their dwelling, but there it indicates the foolish spendeth it (the oil) up

Similarly in the foolish virgins whose lamps have gone out, the lamp of the wicked shall be put out

Proverbs 13:9... "the lamp of the wicked shall be put out".

As the "foolish" are showcased as foolish for their lack of oil, saying to the wise, "Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out"

Another example of those who would have their lamps put out, is here also

Proverbs 20:20 Whoso curseth his father or his mother, his lamp shall be put out in obscure darkness.

Shows the wise with oil and the foolish out of it and being called wise and/or foolish according to what we can similarly find in other places in scripture.

The request for transfer is not evil. That is how the Holy Spirit is given in acts ( via laying on of hands).
I have not stated that the laying on of hands is evil at all, its one of the principles of the doctrine Hebrew 6:1-2 Although one might not want to do so hastily as it says in 1Ti 5:22 Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep thyself pure. Simon might be a good example for that one. And in his case, I don't believe the apostles laid hands on Simon because his particular request was evil.

Simon wanted a gift to wield power...not Jesus' personal indwelling and the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. ( simon had a heart issue).
I had pointed out so much showing the same by the scriptures.

We know Simon believed and was baptized and wanted the Holy Ghost for the wrong reason it shows in the text, Simon offered them money that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost and Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money. Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God. Repent therefore of this thy wickedness

Simon (who offered money for the Holy Spirit) was told by Peter that he was in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity. Which is the same word used in reference to Judas who purchased a field with the reward of iniquity in Acts 1:18 In both money was involved. In the one, money from those who valued Christ to sell out the Truth (Jesus Christ) to his betrayer Judas who in turn handed over Jesus to them for the price. In the other, Simon, was offering money to buy the Holy Spirit of truth to have the charge over such power on whomsoever he laid his hands on.

Scripture shows us that there are those who offer money for the gift of God. Apparently there are buyers out there (Judas for Jesus, Simon for the Holy Spirit). Had the apostles took the money (which they did not) only then would it make them sellers by default.

The " buy" is not money and the "sell" is not a merchant.
I am not sure where you are going with this one but the word "buy" is a verb, and "money" is a neuter noun just as "sell" is a verb and "merchant" is a masculine noun. I don't know where I have stated they are somehow otherwise. However, the same word buy used in Mat 25:29 is use in Mat 14:15 when the disciple wanting to send the multitude away to buy victuals for themselves. Its also the same word in Mat 21:12 when they bought and sold in the Temple (where the money changers were).

That is not how we recieve the Holy Spirit.

I agree, I don't think theres a gullible enough soul on this board who is so ignorant to believe otherwise (unless that persons a troll trying to get a rise out of you) ofcourse.

The incident with Simon just demonstrates for us in scripture that Simon was interested in that manner of 'transfer"( as you had called it earlier). And as depraved as that mindset is he an example of an (can be say "oiless" believer?) offering money to buy the gift of God (or the oil?) At the very least we have an example of such a buyer. Had Peter accepted it we'd have a seller also (but he rebuked doing anything like that) because that certainly was not done among the true apostles of Christ. The wise had simply pointed out that there are those at that time buying and selling what the foolish apparently needed (which is oil). I am convinced if the parable was rewritten and Simon had been named as a part of the parable he would have likely outran all the other foolish virgins to those sellers (to buy that oil) all kidding aside

Components of the parable are inseparable from the meaning.

For example, in the prodigal, there are 2 brothers. 2 are in the story for a reason.
I don't know what this is in reference to but feel free to share Gods reason for the number of virgins in the parable, I am all ears

Good night

Nov 26, 2012
Christ was speaking to a multitude of people. His words were delivered for them to hear and understand. It was in the mix of other parables. There wasn’t some hidden complex meaning they had to extrude and analyze. The message is simple:

“Be ready and prepared continually. Everyone is responsible for their own preparations. The judgement of acceptance will be swift, and permanent.”

What can be analyzed is what it means to be prepared. That also is not difficult. Our love for the Bridegroom should be consuming. To the virgin, that is her purpose. To a follower of Christ, that is our purpose. If He said love (agape) your neighbours, then love your neighbours. It doesn’t mean have an emotional outpouring for them. Agape means be a general blessing. Help those who need it because we can. Also love God. When you love someone you want to know about them, spend time with them, share their joys and sorrows. If the only relationship you have with the Father is distant then that’s where you are, distant. If this describes you then perhaps your “oil” is low and your lamp is dim.

S

Scribe

Now here is food for thought;

6And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him. 7Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.

Preaching "Behold the Bridegroom Cometh" will rouse the saints and set them about "Trimming" the lamps to increase their burning brightness like no other message. Let us preach it often.

4ChristAlone

Christ was speaking to a multitude of people. His words were delivered for them to hear and understand. It was in the mix of other parables. There wasn’t some hidden complex meaning they had to extrude and analyze. The message is simple:
Concerning the multitude of people there Jesus contradicts that statement

Mat 13:10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

Mat 13:13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

Which he also shows the prophecy of old

Mat 13:14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive

Nov 26, 2012
Concerning the multitude of people there Jesus contradicts that statement

Mat 13:10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

Mat 13:13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

Which he also shows the prophecy of old

Mat 13:14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive
Perhaps we could both use a correction. Christ had left the multitude and was speaking to the disciples privately. I don’t think he was attempting to confuse them. He spoke several parables one after the other trying to convey many things starting in Matt 23. Perhaps reading the entire conversation would give the parable proper context.

4ChristAlone

Perhaps we could both use a correction. Christ had left the multitude and was speaking to the disciples privately. I don’t think he was attempting to confuse them. He spoke several parables one after the other trying to convey many things starting in Matt 23. Perhaps reading the entire conversation would give the parable proper context.
Mat 23 is 10 chapters later, this starts in Mat 13

Jesus went onto a ship and the multitudes were on the shore Mat 13:2 he was speaking parables from there

When the disciples came to Jesus while he spake in parables to the multitide on the shore

Jesus continues concerning his speaking in parables here and in between

Jesus did not leave the multitude as you stated he continues his parables and then Jesus sends the multitude away in Mat 13:36 and goes into the house where his disciples come to him here

Mat 13:36 Then Jesus sent the multitude away, and went into the house: and his disciples came unto him, saying, Declare unto us the parable of the tares of the field.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
99% of Christians confusion can be cleared up when we recognise were not Israel and Israel is not the Church. This verse is question being a prime example .

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
I always remember the first time I heard " Weve got to be ready " , ready for what I said ? " ready for the Lords return , weve got to be ready , or we,ll miss him " . Then I learned the fear was coming from misapllying theses verses . Its up there with " don't forsake the gathering together " , and " Endure to the end to be saved " .

Mar 12, 2021
Birmingham, AL
Apparently the wise ones prepared to be married and the others did not. The world needs a standard pre-marriage class that all religious should attend at age 14 and up (as mature enough to digest). We are not accustomed to prepare for marriage save getting a job. That is not preparing for marriage, that should be preparing to take care of oneself. Both are to work as God commanded and shown in the famous proverb about a virtuous woman. So a wise woman would make money and the other would not for example. Apparently they also prepared their love.

S

Scribe

Apparently the wise ones prepared to be married and the others did not. The world needs a standard pre-marriage class that all religious should attend at age 14 and up (as mature enough to digest). We are not accustomed to prepare for marriage save getting a job. That is not preparing for marriage, that should be preparing to take care of oneself. Both are to work as God commanded and shown in the famous proverb about a virtuous woman. So a wise woman would make money and the other would not for example. Apparently they also prepared their love.
The ten virgins are not going to be married to the Bridegroom in this parable.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
The ten virgins are not going to be married to the Bridegroom in this parable.
Of course they are, and 5 will. That's why the bridegroom came to get them and take them to the marriage in which they get married.

Barnes:

Matthew 25:1
Then shall the kingdom of heaven - See the notes at Mat_3:2. The phrase here refers to his coming in the day of judgment.
Shall be likened - Or shall resemble. The meaning is, “When the Son of man returns to judgment, it will be as it was in the case of ten virgins in a marriage ceremony.” The coming of Christ to receive his people to himself is often represented under the similitude of a marriage, the church being represented as his spouse or bride. The marriage relation is the most tender, firm, and endearing of any known on earth, and on this account it suitably represents the union of believers to Christ. See Mat_9:15; Joh_3:29; Rev_19:7; Rev_21:9; Eph_5:25-32.

S

Scribe

Of course they are, and 5 will. That's why the bridegroom came to get them and take them to the marriage in which they get married.

Barnes:

Then shall the kingdom of heaven - See the notes at Mat_3:2. The phrase here refers to his coming in the day of judgment.
Shall be likened - Or shall resemble. The meaning is, “When the Son of man returns to judgment, it will be as it was in the case of ten virgins in a marriage ceremony.” The coming of Christ to receive his people to himself is often represented under the similitude of a marriage, the church being represented as his spouse or bride. The marriage relation is the most tender, firm, and endearing of any known on earth, and on this account it suitably represents the union of believers to Christ. See Mat_9:15; Joh_3:29; Rev_19:7; Rev_21:9; Eph_5:25-32.
I think you might have misunderstood Barnes. I am pretty sure Albert Barnes knew about the Jewish custom behind this parable. Yes the Bridegroom is coming for a bride, the church and yet this parable is not mentioning the bride herself. It is only pointing out one of the customs in the Jewish ceremony where the virgin (young unmarried girl friends of the bride) get to participate in the procession when the Bridegroom comes. They were not told when the Groom would come but when he was announced that he was coming (it was after dark) they were to join the procession of other people that were walking behind him who also had a part in this procession and they had to carry lamps that were lit. If they did not have a lamp they did not get in the procession. And they would go into a place where a feast was set up and join in the festivities. But these were not the bride. They would be like the Bridesmaids in a modern wedding. Not exactly but they were the Brides friends so that gives you an idea. The ancient Jewish wedding customs had many parts to them. Albert Barnes understood that, I have not read his commentary but I would expect him to mention it. Look up a few more commentaries. Jesus is not telling a parable about a Groom that is going to marry Ten girls at once. LOL. Come ON!!!

S

Scribe

Barnes:

Yeah, I just checked. You have to keep reading Barnes, a little further down he states:

This was done in the evening, or at night, Jeremiah 7:34; Jeremiah 25:10; Jeremiah 33:11. Many friends and relations attended them; and besides those who went with them from the house of the bride, there was another company that came out from the house of the bridegroom to meet them and welcome them. These were probably female friends and relatives of the bridegroom, who went out to welcome him and his new companion to their home. These are the virgins mentioned in this parable.

So friends of the Bridegroom he says. Either way the point is the same. They are celebrating in the marriage festivities if they have a lit lamp otherwise they can't join the parade.