FLAT EARTH

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Musicus

Oct 26, 2017
"The world shall be stable, that it cannot be moved" 1 Chronicles 16:30 is lyrics in a song David wrote, which also says to let the trees sing. Ever see a tree sing? And I guess tectonic plates and earthquakes are faked too?

From a reply here:

"It's just one phrase which was part of a hymn King David (the Royal Bard) had written. The singer exhorts his people to remember the wondrous works of the Lord and that His kingdom may be acknowledged among the heathen, even inanimate nature will rejoice at His coming to judgment.

It's amazing how many phrases in the Bible are over-thought and/or taken out of context. It should be noted that while revelations are experienced during meditation of the Good Word it should also be noted that epiphanies can also lead to conclusions that are not meant to be reached.

Overthinking one part and turning it into something greater than its' entirety may be human nature but it proves costly when the truth is to be discerned." by Kr4ftw3rk

T

theanointedsinner

then explain to me how an airplane can fly from any state of America and keep flying toward one direction, and still be able to come back to that state of America, even though the airplane only move in one direction and never turn back

T

theanointedsinner

to resolve this endless debate

let's make a compromise
since we can't agree on the shape of the earth, let's agree on one common ground, "the earth is very big", and live a life of not knowing the exact shape of the earth

can we imagine ending disputes like this for everything?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I'm beginning to suspect our resident meme-generator is suffering a serious vitamin-D deficiency from spending too much time in his mother's basement. It has negatively affected his ability to think and interact independently.

Musicus

Oct 26, 2017
to resolve this endless debate

let's make a compromise
since we can't agree on the shape of the earth, let's agree on one common ground, "the earth is very big", and live a life of not knowing the exact shape of the earth

can we imagine ending disputes like this for everything?
No. I can't agree to "very big". HUGE I will agree to, but not "very big".

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
then explain to me how an airplane can fly from any state of America and keep flying toward one direction, and still be able to come back to that state of America, even though the airplane only move in one direction and never turn back
This is possible on a flat earth, but only if the plane follows a single line of latitude. On the globe, the plane can go off in any direction and eventually return to its origin.

T

theanointedsinner

This is possible on a flat earth, but only if the plane follows a single line of latitude. On the globe, the plane can go off in any direction and eventually return to its origin.
how can this be demonstrated on a flat circle, please diagram how it's done in paint (or similar software)

Musicus

Oct 26, 2017
how can this be demonstrated on a flat circle, please diagram how it's done in paint (or similar software)
Refer to my post #673 in this thread for the diagram. It cannot be done on a flat Earth. Going in a straight line would take you to the edge and beyond. In order to go "around" the world you would have to keep altering your course to keep going in a circle, ie the same "line" of latitude would be a circle, not a straight line. A check of old navigational charts shows no such course alterations. All the course calculations support a globe Earth, and defy a flat Earth.

But all this is ground already covered in this thread.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
theanointedsinner said:

Dino246 said:

Refer to my post #673 in this thread for the diagram. It cannot be done on a flat Earth. Going in a straight line would take you to the edge and beyond. In order to go "around" the world you would have to keep altering your course to keep going in a circle, ie the same "line" of latitude would be a circle, not a straight line. A check of old navigational charts shows no such course alterations. All the course calculations support a globe Earth, and defy a flat Earth.
The original question used the phrase, "toward one direction". I interpreted that phrase differently than others. "Toward one direction" can mean "toward due east" which is a circular path on either a globe or a flat plane.

As I thought about it more, I realized that this isn't the only possibility. Given that you can inscribe a circle of any size on a plane, flying "toward one direction" can also be "flying at a constant bank rate"; ie. toward a certain self-referenced direction. The original question did not use the phrase, "in a straight line".

Semantics.

memyselfi

Jan 12, 2017
So after all this debate, have we reach a verdict?

Is the Earth flat or round....lol... Or a draw!?!