Flat Earthers

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

lolo4

May 17, 2019
Hi, and welcome to CC. I sure don't have all the answers, but I don't believe the spinning globe anymore. I think the Bible speaks in terms of stationary and plain. The book of Job is especially telling.

Is a drop of water becoming a ball for a brief period during freefall really a good comparison? Water's cohesion is the strongest of all the known non-metallic liquids, it seemingly defies what we think of as natural laws, it can actually climb given the right circumstance.

There is nothing we can compare the earth to, it is unique/special, as it is the home our Creator prepared for us. Scripture says nothing of other planets, only sun moon and stars. Venus for instance, can be seen by amateur cameras and it appears to be as energy, just like one would imagine from seeing it with the naked eye as the brightest star. (morning or evening star) It's getting easier to see distances, the Nikon P1000 for instance, amazing. Check out the world's record long distance photographs. These are just not supposed to be possible if the earth is the shape we've been told. I have seen in my city where I live, a distance of 60 miles, and according to the 8 inch per mile squared that is not possible.
The theory of gravity was invented to explain how it could be possible that the earth is going 66,627 mph around the sun while spinning at 1000 mph in a galaxy going 25 miles per second while being hurled toward the Virgo Cluster at a leisurely 375 miles a second. 4 kinds of crazy ways we are spiraling and spinning yet I can sit by a lake on a clear day and in it see the surrounding woods as if in a mirror. Gives the passage, "..He leads me beside still waters.." a whole new meaning.

By the way, gravity is still a theory,...it is: (the law that states any two bodies attract each other with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.) Na, don't buy it anymore. Density and buoyancy explains it much better. It's why water as opposed to air gives us different results when we drop something into them.

Our Creator says, "...It is changed like clay under the seal..." speaking of the earth. The word that's been translated "seal" is like a signet ring, a personalized ring to put their seal onto hot wax, a mark of authentication. How's that possible on a ball? Isiah used 2 different words to describe circle and ball. "As far as the east is from the west" doesn't make sense on a ball. Furthermore, our Creator says we cannot measure the earth or know it's boundaries.
This is an excellent and courteous post about gravity and flat earth.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
This is an excellent and courteous post about gravity and flat earth.
yes, it was.

the one thing though, is the hinting at if you do not believe in flat earth, you are buying into a satanic lie, that I must call out as non-sense.

there is a theology among flat earth Christians that if you do not believe in flat earth, then you are not a " true" Christian.

that is flat-out garbage.

K

Karraster

yes, it was.

the one thing though, is the hinting at if you do not believe in flat earth, you are buying into a satanic lie, that I must call out as non-sense.

there is a theology among flat earth Christians that if you do not believe in flat earth, then you are not a " true" Christian.

that is flat-out garbage.
I don't know why you say such things. Is there any scripture that states if we do not know all the answers to life's questions we are doomed? I don't know of any.

Currently, I am looking at evidence the man named William Shakespeare did not actually write all the works attributed to that name. Very eye opening, and goes to show there are lots of things handed down to us that we accept as truth without questioning. I am a questioner. Does that make me bad? Does it make me better than anyone else? I think not on both accounts, but you are entitled to think otherwise as you wish.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
I don't know why you say such things. Is there any scripture that states if we do not know all the answers to life's questions we are doomed? I don't know of any.

Currently, I am looking at evidence the man named William Shakespeare did not actually write all the works attributed to that name. Very eye opening, and goes to show there are lots of things handed down to us that we accept as truth without questioning. I am a questioner. Does that make me bad? Does it make me better than anyone else? I think not on both accounts, but you are entitled to think otherwise as you wish.
o.k, if you do not believe what I said that some do ( did not say you did, said there was some hint of it), then fine. good to know.

and no, nothing wrong with questioning things as long as you and me and who ever else does can accept answers we do not like or agree with ..

Ohm

Mar 4, 2018
In Geographical Review, a peer-reviewed journal published by the American Geographical Society, geographers at the University of Kansas, published a paper, “The Flatness of U.S. States.” Their findings, Kansas is indeed flatter than a pancake.
The Netherlands is a very flat country, too, as is Bangladesh. But this very journal report that you've mentioned, found that the vast majority of the contiguous United States was not flat. Only 2 states -- Florida and Illinois -- had 50% or more of their area as flat, flatter and flattest. Every other state was more than 50% not flat.

47 states were more than 50% not-flat.

That means only 4.1 % of US states are more flat than not-flat.

Dobson, J. and Campbell, J. (2014). The Flatness of U.S. States. Geographical Review, [online] 104(1), pp.4-7. Available at: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1931-0846.2014.12001.x [Accessed 29 Jun. 2019].

Ohm

Mar 4, 2018
The Netherlands is a very flat country, too, as is Bangladesh. But this very journal report that you've mentioned, found that the vast majority of the contiguous United States was not flat. Only 2 states -- Florida and Illinois -- had 50% or more of their area as flat, flatter and flattest. Every other state was more than 50% not flat.

47 states were more than 50% not-flat.

That means only 4.1 % of US states are more flat than not-flat.

Dobson, J. and Campbell, J. (2014). The Flatness of U.S. States. Geographical Review, [online] 104(1), pp.4-7. Available at: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1931-0846.2014.12001.x [Accessed 29 Jun. 2019].
Literally, 95.9% of US states are rounded.

What might that indicate?

Ohm

Mar 4, 2018
hello people, the earth is so big, the shape is impossible to tell, but there are many people who have facepalmed at reading the post of another, so given the implication of shapes, let's see, the palm of one's hand is flat, yet when facepalmed on one's round head,

um, I believe that the head is round, the head have no CGI effect, however, the flat palm can contact the head perfectly, flat surface fits on the head like it's perfectly shaped,

now pay attention, this is educational, the shape of the head matches the shape of the flat palm. round head, matches flat palm, how is that possible, oh wait, the palm is slightly concave inward

look at the mirror, therefore the head is round
mirrors are cgi
mirrors are photo-edited government conspiracy

now this is an eye-opening truth

you've been blinded

the truth is, the head is actually flat, if you wear a hat, the hat is just a dome, on the flatness of hat
seen a baseball cap? it's a dome, and why the sun-visor sunvisor is flat

the sunvisor is evidence of the flatness of one's head

take a selfie, even selfie is cgi, photo doctored government consipiracy

facepalm is evidence of the flatness of the human head

oh, people draw circles for smileys, to draw happy face and emoji

that's government planned mass deception, NASA is trying to deceive you with emoji's to convice you that your head is round, even though it's as flat as a pancake

all I need is a facepalm, and I am fully persuaded with irrefutable truth that the head is flat

gravity? balderdash
when facepalm, the hand only smack the head once, and it can bounce off the head
gravity doesn't exist

oh, sometimes hand remains on head? are you saying gravity, delusional bunch, there's no gravity

the back of the head exist? ludacris, no one can ever see the back of one's head, no one ever have eyes at the back of one's head

everyone else's head is round, my head is the exception, it's as flat as a flatscreen, oh and the brain in the vat argument proves this

now, repent of your delusional belief that the head is round, believe that the head is flat and welcome to the airhead, er I mean facepalm-able flat-head screwdriver, um I mean flat-head society

@Tinkerbell725 isn't it hilarious to the highest degree?
Give this man a medal!

:ROFL:

kinda

Jun 26, 2013
Flat EARTHERS never been to the mountains maybe. I don't know how you can look at a mountain and say, "the earth is flat". Wait until the Pointy EARTHERS get going.

WilliamK

Jul 18, 2019
"Netflix" :LOL: Lets cross reference this with what History Channels's opinion is just to be sure !

Jul 17, 2019
what do flat earth-ers think of the five main layers of the atmosphere?

From highest to lowest, the five main layers are:

Exosphere: 700 to 10,000 km (440 to 6,200 miles)
Thermosphere: 80 to 700 km (50 to 440 miles)
Mesosphere: 50 to 80 km (31 to 50 miles)
Stratosphere: 12 to 50 km (7 to 31 miles)
Troposphere: 0 to 12 km (0 to 7 miles)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Earth

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
what do flat earth-ers think of the five main layers of the atmosphere?

From highest to lowest, the five main layers are:

Exosphere: 700 to 10,000 km (440 to 6,200 miles)
Thermosphere: 80 to 700 km (50 to 440 miles)
Mesosphere: 50 to 80 km (31 to 50 miles)
Stratosphere: 12 to 50 km (7 to 31 miles)
Troposphere: 0 to 12 km (0 to 7 miles)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Earth
flat eathers do not think, they just believe in what they think.

WilliamK

Jul 18, 2019
"what do flat earth-ers think of the five main layers of the atmosphere? "
How does scripture support the claims of Science and NASA is the more important question. I am not claiming to know if the earth is
round or flat. If a person really wanted to know the answer I would suggest studying the Book of Genesis and the large amount of text that has been written about the scripture. Praying to the Lord for discernment and freedom from deception in this subject. Possibly even the book of Enoch on the matter. Looking at respected ancient maps and texts. Then come back to this thread and let us know the result. I would love to hear a well researched Christian perspective on this matter. Otherwise I could just look on Wikipedia and laugh at anyone who disagrees with it. Also if anyone has ever circumnavigated the globe by going over the ice walls in Antarctica they should do a video interview there is a lot of people who would love to hear their testimony. Admiral Byrd's trip is still hugely popular so i'm sure this would be viral.

Jul 23, 2019
I am not here to debate whether the Earth is flat or round. There is a documentary on Netflix right now about flat earth, focusing primarily on the followers of this movement. I have never seen such s flock of sheep in need of a shepherd. The harvest is ripe indeed. These people are desperate to belong to something greater than themselves and are prepared to part from loved ones, and logic to sustain their delusions.
Agree. There is not a single mention of the Earth's shape in the Bible, if I recall it correctly.

WilliamK

Jul 18, 2019
"There is a documentary on Netflix right now about flat earth "
Are you able to prove beyond any reasonable doubt these people in the Doc are not actors ? Looking forward to your proof.

Jul 17, 2019
"There is a documentary on Netflix right now about flat earth "
Are you able to prove beyond any reasonable doubt these people in the Doc are not actors ? Looking forward to your proof.
While you wait for Hungry's proof

You can try some proofs of your own, like "prove that you are not a brain in a vat", or that "solipsism is false" good luck

kaijo

Jul 31, 2017
Agree. There is not a single mention of the Earth's shape in the Bible, if I recall it correctly.
Even if the shape is not mentioned explicitly, there's not too many shapes that have 4 sides and 4 corners - as mentioned in the Bible.
So take a guess.

WilliamK

Jul 18, 2019
I will have to wait till someone makes a documentary on Netflix
While you wait for Hungry's proof

You can try some proofs of your own, like "prove that you are not a brain in a vat", or that "solipsism is false" good luck
Ezekiel 37:5-6 New King James Version (NKJV)
5 Thus says the Lord God to these bones: “Surely I will cause breath to enter into you, and you shall live. 6 I will put sinews on you and bring flesh upon you, cover you with skin and put breath in you; and you shall live. Then you shall know that I am the Lord.” ’ ”

Genesis 2:7 New King James Version (NKJV)
7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.

Job 33:4 New King James Version (NKJV)
4 The Spirit of God has made me,
And the breath of the Almighty gives me life.

for just a few examples

I am suggesting that Netflix or any other television show has a high probability of being propaganda. Without being able to know what the producers motives are in making this or their spiritual beliefs I won't put much stock in it.

Also i am curious of your motives for referencing what could be described as a mental disorder in the first place ? Are you suggesting that not basing an opinion on television is some form of mental disorder ? Descartes appears to be a strong believer in God and not much else , pretty sure he would not jump in to defend a Netflix Doc if he was alive. Also believing in a God and being a Christian are not mutually inclusive.

I was under the impression that this was a discussion based on Christian view points. Existential philosophy feels like an attempt to put a lofty end to a discussion on the validity of ones references except it really does't apply. It would be like if I focused on why you chose to reference Descartes instead of Martin Heidegger in my response to you.

iymus

Feb 15, 2016
Whether the earth is flat or not I am sure I will be reminded. If I have an opinion it will be both but I lost interest in that research a long time ago. The earth is sustainable and habitable for us to thrive and enjoy life.