Forgiving 490 times

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

penknight

Jan 6, 2014
I've been wondering something. When Jesus spoke about forgiving 70 times 7 was that just specific to Peter, or everyone?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I've been wondering something. When Jesus spoke about forgiving 70 times 7 was that just specific to Peter, or everyone?

Everyone, yup.
If you would like to experience the relief of forgiving, one day when you have time and where to do it, go throught all those who have sinned against you.

Only you know what sin is against you. Now, forgive each one, and pray you are able to do it fromthe heart. Also pray for the offender to repent of this world and turn to God and be in heaven with you.

It is a wonderful experience for any believer, and so relieving. You must never forget, but you must truly forgive from the heart.......Try this! It is wonderful. No problems with any.......now the ones who may be sinning against you right now will be easier to understand and forgive. Praise Jesus Christ, for He has forgiven all our sin...amen.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I agree this is for everyone, and it's also hyperbole. Peter asked if he should go as far as 7 times? Jesus said 70 times 7!
7 is like 'a perfect number' to the Jews.
10 is like 'a lot'
70 times 7 is like saying not just 7 times, Pete, do your perfect number of forgivenesses a perfect lot more times!

I don't think He means, don't forgive on sin #491 -- I think He means, go way further than 7

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Forgiving makes our hearts healthy...............Oh, and it really pleases our Dad!

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
It's to everyone, backed up by other scriptures- which say that if we do not forgive we will not be forgiven by God. Do you want God to forgive you more than 7 times? More than 490 times? Do you want Him to forgive you every time? Then you must forgive others every time. Do you want Him to forgive the small times and the huge times? Then you must forgive the little things like someone flipping you the bird in traffic cause you are not going over the speed limit like they are, all the way up to how they crucified Christ on the cross- to which He replied "Father please forgive them."

penknight

Jan 6, 2014
I figured that the passage itself was about continual forgiveness. It just really intrigued me whether or not Peter was being addressed specifically. I suppose it is more likely He meant for everyone

penknight

Jan 6, 2014
I agree this is for everyone, and it's also hyperbole. Peter asked if he should go as far as 7 times? Jesus said 70 times 7!
7 is like 'a perfect number' to the Jews.
10 is like 'a lot'
70 times 7 is like saying not just 7 times, Pete, do your perfect number of forgivenesses a perfect lot more times!

I don't think He means, don't forgive on sin #491 -- I think He means, go way further than 7
I was somewhat curious about that too

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
(Mat 18:22) Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.
(Mat 18:23) Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.....
...(Mat 18:35) So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

Jesus followed up His instruction about 7X70 with a parable and then gave your answer. It was to all since Jesus said ' if ye from your 'hearts' forgive not' . The word 'hearts' is plural meaning more than just Peter.

Feb 28, 2016
for so many of us, when we served the world, 'forgiveness' is something like a foreign language!

after true 'conversion', it seems as though we just can't help but to forgive those who have hurt us,
for our hearts seem to cling' to what Christ has done for us,,.

Embankment

Feb 28, 2017
Jesus said we must forgive 70 times 7. A poetic way of saying it is impossible for us to truly forgive in our human nature. Jesus spoke to us in absolutes. Living under the OC salvation was a yes or no question. The answer was always Yes we are sinners and No we are not saved. Jesus pointed out through the Gospels that God required sinless perfection to enter his presence. There is nothing we can do to get close to being sinless. Our only hope is through following Jesus and living under his sacrifice for sin that occurred on the cross. Now we live under grace through the sacrifice made by Jesus. Our inability to be perfect is no longer a stumbling block to entering God’s kingdom.
That is the good news!!

Feb 7, 2017
Add with this excerpt:

• "Take heed to yourselves: if thy brother sin, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him. And if he sin against thee seven times in the day, and seven times turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him." (Luke 17.3,4).

Forgiving seven times in one day was already something beyond the acceptance of the disciples. Jesus multiplies this by seventy, showing that our life is an eternal search for Christ's forgiveness for those He places in our path. The grace is a life of forgiveness.

john832

May 31, 2013
Forgiving makes our hearts healthy...............Oh, and it really pleases our Dad!
And if we don't forgive, He will not forgive us...

Mat 6:14 "For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
Mat 6:15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Mar 28, 2016

I would offer in that parable Jesus uses the number 7 as a common metaphor to reveal the spiritual unseen meaning which 7 speaks of completeness or perfect. 7 in multiples adding zero just emphasizes nothing can be added to it or taken away from it . It a reflection of His perfect forgiveness.