Former pentecostal

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 14, 2019
So I decided that cessationist are right. The Bible is " that which is perfect" for when gifts will cease. Now we know how to pray and live. I was a pentecostal for most of my life. But I find that if I ask in prayer the one giving tongues is an evil spirit. You've got to be careful. Not every spirit is of God. Try the spirits.

Dec 15, 2021
Welcome Jonathan, couple questions, when did they cease and when will they return and in what Scriptures do you find this information? All of them or just some?

May be a strange question, but did you happen to notice if the people in your church spoke more languages (besides 'tongues') in general, than other people you've run across in life? Just curious is all.

I met a woman once who went to a pentecostal church and mentioned the 'tongues' and we got to talking so I started talking about how interesting and miraculous it was that everyone heard what was being said and in their own language even down to the the 'accent' of their native tongue and she seemed to be shocked but hey, she could have been a babe in Christ, I wasn't going to judge, we are all learning on the job, right? Anyway, I thought it would be safe to ask about WHAT was being said, how many did and who was interpreting, and how her church was enlightened by it and well, that didn't go well, apparently EVERYONE did it at the same time and no one understood anything anyone was saying. I pray that was not a good representation of it but sure was strange to me.

Looking forward to your reply...

Jul 20, 2022
Welcome Jonathan, couple questions, when did they cease and when will they return and in what Scriptures do you find this information? All of them or just some?

May be a strange question, but did you happen to notice if the people in your church spoke more languages (besides 'tongues') in general, than other people you've run across in life? Just curious is all.

I met a woman once who went to a pentecostal church and mentioned the 'tongues' and we got to talking so I started talking about how interesting and miraculous it was that everyone heard what was being said and in their own language even down to the the 'accent' of their native tongue and she seemed to be shocked but hey, she could have been a babe in Christ, I wasn't going to judge, we are all learning on the job, right? Anyway, I thought it would be safe to ask about WHAT was being said, how many did and who was interpreting, and how her church was enlightened by it and well, that didn't go well, apparently EVERYONE did it at the same time and no one understood anything anyone was saying. I pray that was not a good representation of it but sure was strange to me.

Looking forward to your reply...
I never intend to speak against any Christian testimony, but when one goes off contrary to holy Scripture and invents things to practice, I often feel a need to share biblical truth with that one (and stay clear of the heresy), so they can see what the universal Church in the world should be: "unity of the faith" everywhere.
I do not see that God wants us to be in various sects with their innovations to please special interests, but a universal testimony --not only in the Gospels, but as in the Epistles. Beside the four Gospels, we need to appreciate the Epistles, where we can see God's intent for the universal Church. I often recommend one come to see what the Church should be in EVERY PLACE (note Acts 15:22-23; Acts 20:27-30; Romans 12:4-8; Romans 16:1-17; 1 Cor. 12:12; 25-27; 2 Tim 2:15; etc. In the Epistles we see the unity among Assemblies --even sending letters with one visiting other such brethren worldwide; even as we will be in Heaven ---would you say?

Dec 15, 2021
I never intend to speak against any Christian testimony, but when one goes off contrary to holy Scripture and invents things to practice, I often feel a need to share biblical truth with that one (and stay clear of the heresy), so they can see what the universal Church in the world should be: "unity of the faith" everywhere.
I do not see that God wants us to be in various sects with their innovations to please special interests, but a universal testimony --not only in the Gospels, but as in the Epistles. Beside the four Gospels, we need to appreciate the Epistles, where we can see God's intent for the universal Church. I often recommend one come to see what the Church should be in EVERY PLACE (note Acts 15:22-23; Acts 20:27-30; Romans 12:4-8; Romans 16:1-17; 1 Cor. 12:12; 25-27; 2 Tim 2:15; etc. In the Epistles we see the unity among Assemblies --even sending letters with one visiting other such brethren worldwide; even as we will be in Heaven ---would you say?
Yes, but not until Christ returns. Remeber, He didn't come to give us peace, but to divide. There WILL be a world wide church soon, only problem is it won't be worshipping the true God any longer but the Instead of Christ soon CLAIMING to be God. WE are in the final generation. When you see the shoot and the leaves you know the harvest is coming. Like wise when you see famines and pestilences and false christs running around saying 'Christ is coming to get you first' when Christ Himself says don't believe them, THESE are the things we need to be telling the churches RIGHT NOW because very soon it will become the individual with gospel armor who will withstand the fiery darts of the who will make the 'world' will fall away from truth.

Imagine a TRULY supernatural being who has been given power over the earth, the best, the wisest, the prettiest being God created, coming to deceive and is so good at it, the time had to be shortened. That is intense. That is what I would say. Up until this final generation it was a different story. BUT the last will be first and the first will be last. That's a distinct people and purpose wouldn't you say?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
...when did they cease and when will they return...
Tongues (languages spoken supernaturally) would have ceased when the Bible was completed, so by the end of the first century. Why would they return when the reason for this gift was in the past? Modern tongues (glossolalia) are not biblical tongues (glossais).

Amanuensis

Jun 12, 2021
So I decided that cessationist are right. The Bible is " that which is perfect" for when gifts will cease. Now we know how to pray and live. I was a pentecostal for most of my life. But I find that if I ask in prayer the one giving tongues is an evil spirit. You've got to be careful. Not every spirit is of God. Try the spirits.

Below is a scholarly history of how 1 Cor 13 has been interpreted.

https://ntresources.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/perfectpaper94.pdf

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Luke 11v9-13:

"So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish? Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!"

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
So now you believe folks who are saved can be devil possessed.

The bible is perfect, the bible wishes that we may all speak in tongues, the bible exhorts us to seek the higher gifts especially that we may prophesy, the bible admonishes us not to forbid tongues.

For years you could not discern, were you saved through the Pentecostal movement? suddenly you discern it was the devil after all.

Who is to discern if a tongue is gibberish? I know many folks talk gibberish, but I can't see the heart of the one talking gibberish, they are maybe in a situation where they do not know what to pray, they have a prayerful heart and they offer their tongue to God

I think God interprets what is in their hearts, I think God is kind.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hello Jonathan, first off, welcome to CChat! I'm glad that you found us, and that you joined in the discussions with us too :)

That said, I think that this is a great topic for discussion, so thank you for broaching it. I'm interested, why do you believe that "the perfect", spoken of in 1 Corinthians 13, is the Bible :unsure: (I am not saying that you are incorrect, just interested to know why you believe that it is)

There is more that I'd like to discuss with you (and I hope to Dv), but this is enough for now.

God bless you!!

~Deut

1 Thessalonians 5
23 May the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body
be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
24 Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.

K

kaylagrl

Blaming the Holy Spirit for His work on the devil. These people don't understand how dangerous what they are claiming is. smh

The bible is perfect, the bible wishes that we may all speak in tongues, the bible exhorts us to seek the higher gifts especially that we may prophesy, the bible admonishes us not to forbid tongues.
Right, just as the Word says.

For years you could not discern, were you saved through the Pentecostal movement? suddenly you discern it was the devil after all.
Good point. I have had friends saved through tongues experiences. How is that the devils work? Pretty bad when people can't tell the difference. smh

Dec 15, 2021
Tongues (languages spoken supernaturally) would have ceased when the Bible was completed, so by the end of the first century. Why would they return when the reason for this gift was in the past? Modern tongues (glossolalia) are not biblical tongues (glossais).

Remembering Joel, the taste of what the future held.

Joel 2:28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:

Joel 2:29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.

Joel 2:30 And I will shew wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke.

Joel 2:31 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and terrible day of the LORD come.

Luke 12:11 And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say:

Luke 12:12 For the Holy Spirit shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say.

Revelation 2:8 And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;

Revelation 2:9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

Revelation 2:10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.

Revelation 2:11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

Dec 15, 2021
What do you believe we are being told by these?

Luke 11:21 When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Luke 11:22 But when a stronger than he shall come upon him, and overcome him, he taketh from him all his armour wherein he trusted, and divideth his spoils.

Luke 11:23 He that is not with me is against me: and he that gathereth not with me scattereth.

Luke 11:24 When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest; and finding none, he saith, I will return unto my house whence I came out.

Luke 11:25 And when he cometh, he findeth it swept and garnished.

Luke 11:26 Then goeth he, and taketh to him seven other spirits more wicked than himself; and they enter in, and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first.

1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

1 Peter 5:9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

1 Peter 5:10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.

1 Peter 5:11 To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

TDidymas

Oct 27, 2021
I also was once Pentecostal and tongue-talker, but God told me it wasn't of Him. So I've had a vested interest in finding out what exactly modern tongues is. The fact that so many people are deceived by it doesn't mean they are possessed by an evil spirit. In my studies I've discovered that modern tongues is a mere human ability, and anyone can do it if they try hard enough (it takes "letting go" of control of speech, which is very difficult for most people). I certainly understand why many think it is devil possession.

So true tongues described in the New Testament is actual languages that can be understood as in Acts 2. That is miraculous, whereas modern tongues is not. Just because someone can speak nonsense fluently and make it sound like a language doesn't mean it's the same thing as Biblical tongues. I recommend this book, if you can still get it:
https://www.amazon.com/Tongues-men-...003&sr=1-2&keywords=tongues+of+men+and+angels
However, it's very expensive now because of its rarity. I bought it years ago and only paid $11.

Also, this video is a very good analysis:

May God bless you and keep leading you in His ways.

P

Polar

It's pretty funny when a person states tongues are no more but then proceeds to state they had a conversation with God.

Seriously?

I also was once Pentecostal and tongue-talker, but God told me it wasn't of Him.

Jun 20, 2022
I am always shocked when I see the reason for cessation is the Bible was finished.
The Bible was finished when 22 Church Father's wrote all Gifts still exist and the perfect to come is when we see God face to face.
How can we have such evidence in our Church History but so many refuse the facts?
It's probably why we have so many weak Believers who have never walked in Victory and continue to follow Demonic Dogma.

Dec 15, 2021
It's pretty funny when a person states tongues are no more but then proceeds to state they had a conversation with God.

Seriously?
Isn't the problem with the CLAIM GOD IS SPEAKING THROUGH YOU but that no one understands it LIKE the way they did when they really were speaking 'in tongues' ?

They SPOKE ONE LANGUAGE (unknown) but everyone heard and understood what they were saying in THEIR OWN.

If I was typing in the 'pure language' then EVERYONE from every language in the world reading this sentence would KNOW and understand it perfectly, NEVER HAVING learned or heard it before. That is the tongue of God. Nothing confusing, nothing hidden, not private interpretations, etc.

I believe it was the language that was spoken before the tower of Babel when GOD divided it up into the many different ones we now speak.

Maybe the 'language' we will all speak beginning on the Lords Day/Millennium/when the kingdoms of this world become His, at the the 7th trump.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011

Seriously?
I certainly understand when you say "funny,
however I believe the word, ironic, is more appropriate. Just my understanding, not intended to be a correction.

Jun 20, 2022

Seriously?
God is not going to condemn something that we know from the Church Fathers will exist until God returns and we see His PERFECTION [[((the PREFECT to COME))]].

and anyone who claims they spoke in Tongues but discovered it was not of God is probably telling the TRUTH. they were probably doing it by their own efforts. it's the HOLY SPIRIT of GOD that gives UTTERANCE before Tongues are Spoken. so, it's not a human trying to speak such things but the SPIRIT of GOD within a Believer giving the effort and direction to Speak.

have you ever went down the entire Members list here and placed your finger on each Name and allowed the Holy Spirit to Discern them?

Try it!

some are as cold as ice and claiming to be of God!