funny ways some people interpret scriptures.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Snacks

Feb 10, 2022
Here’s a big one; Jesus talking to Peter as found in Matthew 16:19.

“I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

Catholics believe Peter is Heaven’s gatekeeper whereas Protestants see it much differently.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
As regarding the full meaning of this event, I have always believed that Jesus is referring this message to all of His apostles, and possibly to al who truly believe Him..

The main thing I believe is Jesus i Yeshua s my Lord and savior, and I know if I believe and am given to act on this faith, there is noting much more I need to understand until the Father reveals it to me. Praise God, He is worthy not we, amen.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Here’s a big one; Jesus talking to Peter as found in Matthew 16:19.

“I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

Catholics believe Peter is Heaven’s gatekeeper whereas Protestants see it much differently.
Context again.. like Mathew 18:20.. it is about resolving sin issues. Christians dealing with sin issues in their church.

So the keys become entrance to the local church (I say local, but it always is)..

A church is inside the Kingdom on earth. A wayward church member could be kicked from the church but still in the kingdom.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Oh I meant to say compare Matthew 16:19 with 18:18.. and that is where its all about resolving sin issues:)

Snacks

Feb 10, 2022
Context again.. like Mathew 18:20.. it is about resolving sin issues. Christians dealing with sin issues in their church.

So the keys become entrance to the local church (I say local, but it always is)..

A church is inside the Kingdom on earth. A wayward church member could be kicked from the church but still in the kingdom.
Never heard this take

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Never heard this take
Well if Matthew 18 is about resolving sin issues in a church, Jesus uses the same reference earlier in Matthew 16.

The binding and loosing is about resolving sin issues in Matthew 18.

Why would Jesus have it as this in Matthew 18? The earlier ref must be about the same thing.

Snacks

Feb 10, 2022
Well if Matthew 18 is about resolving sin issues in a church, Jesus uses the same reference earlier in Matthew 16.

The binding and loosing is about resolving sin issues in Matthew 18.

Why would Jesus have it as this in Matthew 18? The earlier ref must be about the same thing.
I like it. Thank you, beloved. 🙏

JohnB

Jul 31, 2022
Calif
Some stories along this line. I heard a pastor say he was at a fast food place that was giving out pieces for a board game. He won a free coke. He took the game piece to the counter and wanted to give it back. They told him, he just won a free coke. He told them he doesn't gamble and wanted them to take it back. I just shook my head and thought, he wasn't gambling. But he refused the free coke. Made me wonder what the employees thought of him.

presidente

May 29, 2013
Some stories along this line. I heard a pastor say he was at a fast food place that was giving out pieces for a board game. He won a free coke. He took the game piece to the counter and wanted to give it back. They told him, he just won a free coke. He told them he doesn't gamble and wanted them to take it back. I just shook my head and thought, he wasn't gambling. But he refused the free coke. Made me wonder what the employees thought of him.
Where does the Bible even give a commandment about gambling?

Hazelelponi

Jul 8, 2019
USA
A few years ago I got into a discussion with a friend from church, on a social media platform. We got into a discussion of
The Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard Matthew 20:1-16. In the parable workers were hired in the morning, noon and late in the day. All the workers got paid the same. My Christian friend, who owns a business, said it means once you're hired and agree to a wage, that's all you get paid, no matter how long you work there. I was shocked and told him that's not what the parable is about. I was even more shocked when other Christian business owners agreed with him. You never know the crazy way some Christians will interpret scripture.

Study to show yourself approved.
That is funny. Literalists gone wild! Hahaha

Hazelelponi

Jul 8, 2019
USA
As regarding the full meaning of this event, I have always believed that Jesus is referring this message to all of His apostles, and possibly to al who truly believe Him..

The main thing I believe is Jesus i Yeshua s my Lord and savior, and I know if I believe and am given to act on this faith, there is noting much more I need to understand until the Father reveals it to me. Praise God, He is worthy not we, amen.
It's to all who believe, as well as to groups of believers.

The Jews being first to know God have the same reward as those who came last (the Gentile believers) if they stayed true to the end.

And to individuals - the man saved and faithful from childhood through old age has the same reward in heaven as the one saved only for a day before being translated to heaven.

Our rewards is the same no matter who we are, but some complain. (Jews complain about the Gentiles etc)

It's the elder brother syndrome, from the parable of the prodigal son.

presidente

May 29, 2013
it falls under common sense, if you can not affoard to lose too much to survive and support your family is the dividing line.
Getting a free drink as a promotion at McDonald's isn't going to starve your family.

If some children were racing to the car to see who wins the right to ride shotgun, that won't their families out of existence either, but it is arguably a form of gambling.