Galatians Discussion

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
“I could go on and on with what you are ignoring” you seem to do that a lot can you address ANY of this

Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.”

‭‭Romans‬ ‭3:19-20‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.”

‭‭James‬ ‭2:10‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;”

‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭1:9-10KJV‬‬

“Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator. But before faith came, we were kept under the law,

shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:19, 23-24KJV‬‬

“For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.”

‭‭Romans‬ ‭10:4‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;”

‭‭Romans‬ ‭3:21-23‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death. But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.”

‭‭Romans‬ ‭7:5-6‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.”

‭‭John‬ ‭6:63‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things. Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he.”

‭‭John‬ ‭4:23-26‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.”

‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭15:56‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.”

‭‭Galatians‬ ‭5:3-4‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?

Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.”

‭‭Romans‬ ‭7:1, 4‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith. And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.”

‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:10-12‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.”

‭‭Luke‬ ‭16:16‬ ‭KJV‬‬
As concerning condemnation, we are not under the law (Romans 6:14), are dead to the law (Romans 7:4, Galatians 2:19) and are delivered from the law (Romans 7:6).

As concerning obedience, we are under the law to Christ (1 Corinthians 9:21); that is,

the law is written on the heart and mind of New Covenant believers as concerning obedience (Hebrews 8:8-10, Herbews 10:16, Romans 8:7, Romans 8:4, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 13:8-10; Romans 5:5; 1 John 2:3-6).

Love is the fulfilling of the law (Romans 13:8-10) and faith which worketh by love is a thing in holy scripture (Galatians 5:6).

Therefore when you say that the law is not of faith, it cannot mean that the righteousness of the law is not fulfilled in us through faith. For, clearly, we receive the Holy Spirit by faith (Galatians 3:14) and if we walk according to the Spirit, the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in us (Romans 8:4).

Concerning this,

“But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;”

‭‭Romans‬ ‭3:21-23‬ ‭KJV‬‬
Notice what I have highlighted by placing it in larger letters. This righteousness of God without the law is witnessed by the law and the prophets; which means that they testify that this righteousness is righteousness indeed.

It is not obtained by seeking to obey a set of do's and don'ts; but through faith in Jesus Christ we receive the Holy Ghost (Galatians 3:14); then, as we bear the fruit of the Spirit, there is no law that will condemn us in our behaviour (Galatians 5:22-23). That is, we become law-abiding citizens of the kingdom of heaven as we bear the fruit of the Spirit (see Ezekiel 36:25-27).

This is a righteousness that comes not through the venue of trying to keep the law; however the result is that there is no violation of the law involved in the righteousness that is being spoken of.

Concerning this,

“For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

This is speaking of those who are seeking to be justified through law-keeping.

For those who know that they know that they know that they have been justified through faith in the blood of Jesus Christ, there is not a curse on them for being obedient to the law; but rather a blessing.

Jas 1:25, But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
You're speculating. The text clearly states that she was caught in the act; it doesn't specify that she was caught by only one person.
there’s always a non biblical circle of why something doesn’t say what it says

They were witnessing against her tha ya a direct law of Moses

“And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.”
‭‭John‬ ‭8:3-4‬ ‭KJV‬‬

it’s strange because it’s still the Pharisees trying to make the law relevant here

“But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses. And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭15:5-6‬ ‭KJV‬‬

peters argument

“And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.

Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭15:7, 10-11‬ ‭KJV‬‬

James the greats decision names four minor elements of the law are approved

“Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God: But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭15:19-20‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The letter they wrote for the church

“Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:

For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;

That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭15:24, 28-29‬ ‭KJV‬‬

but I guess the apostles and elders and Holy Ghost must have been wrong according to some folk

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
As concerning condemnation, we are not under the law (Romans 6:14), are dead to the law (Romans 7:4, Galatians 2:19) and are delivered from the law (Romans 7:6).

As concerning obedience, we are under the law to Christ (1 Corinthians 9:21); that is,

the law is written on the heart and mind of New Covenant believers as concerning obedience (Hebrews 8:8-10, Herbews 10:16, Romans 8:7, Romans 8:4, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 13:8-10; Romans 5:5; 1 John 2:3-6).

Love is the fulfilling of the law (Romans 13:8-10) and faith which worketh by love is a thing in holy scripture (Galatians 5:6).

Therefore when you say that the law is not of faith, it cannot mean that the righteousness of the law is not fulfilled in us through faith. For, clearly, we receive the Holy Spirit by faith (Galatians 3:14) and if we walk according to the Spirit, the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in us (Romans 8:4).

Concerning this,

Notice what I have highlighted by placing it in larger letters. This righteousness of God without the law is witnessed by the law and the prophets; which means that they testify that this righteousness is righteousness indeed.

It is not obtained by seeking to obey a set of do's and don'ts; but through faith in Jesus Christ we receive the Holy Ghost (Galatians 3:14); then, as we bear the fruit of the Spirit, there is no law that will condemn us in our behaviour (Galatians 5:22-23). That is, we become law-abiding citizens of the kingdom of heaven as we bear the fruit of the Spirit (see Ezekiel 36:25-27).

This is a righteousness that comes not through the venue of trying to keep the law; however the result is that there is no violation of the law involved in the righteousness that is being spoken of.

Concerning this,

For those who know that they know that they know that they have been justified through faith in the blood of Jesus Christ, there is not a curse on them for being obedient to the law; but rather a blessing.

Jas 1:25, But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
Yep I’m pretty clear on your views it’s time consuming though to go through and wuote scriptire for you it never helps you just stick with your ideas of the law of your free to do

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
Yep I’m pretty clear on your views
You are clear on my views but you don't seem to be buying them...why is that?

Because I have given scriptural substantiation for what I have been preaching.

I think that we need to continue this conversation until one of us realizes the viewpoint of the other is correct or until we can come to a consensus on who our viewpoints fit together in holy scripture.

For it is written,

1Co 1:10, Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016

Concerning this,

Concerning this,

It seems to me you talk out of both sides of your mouth, but when it comes down to the bottom line you believe in doing your best to live for Christ, and the bottom line is what counts.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
So I guess everyone is cursed!
Yes we are. As jesus said, No one is GOOD but GOD.

Because all have sinned and come short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23).

But if anyone can be blessed (such as in James 1:25) I think that it is because they are not attempting to be justified by the law.
No, They are blessed because they have not rejected so great a salvation.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
YOU are watering down the word! GOD (Christ is God) said sin kills us. Christ said obey me. Christ said repent of sin. James said he will show us his belief by his work. Paul said we don't make void the law through faith, but establish the law through faith.

I could go on and on with what you are ignoring because it is unforgiven sin that causes our death. Scripture consists of many verses, ALL of them are of God and truth.
You are watering own the law

The law says cursed is anyone who does not obey every word
Blik says that is wrong.

So who do we listen to. The word or Blik?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
If there was more than one witness, they slowly all disappeared at Jesus' statement, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."

Stoning the person was required first of those who witnessed the behaviour. But those who had witnessed the behaviour were, apparently, guilty themselves; and were therefore unworthy to pronounce judgment.
More speculation.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
You are watering own the law

The law says cursed is anyone who does not obey every word
Blik says that is wrong.

So who do we listen to. The word or Blik?
Haven't you heard the good news, Christ came to take the curse away? Now we live with Him in our hearts, in freedom and joy.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
If there was more than one witness, they slowly all disappeared at Jesus' statement, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."

Stoning the person was required first of those who witnessed the behaviour. But those who had witnessed the behaviour were, apparently, guilty themselves; and were therefore unworthy to pronounce judgment.
Again, you aren't reading the text closely enough. Jesus said, "The one who is without sin, let him cast the first stone." He didn't specify whether they were guilty of adultery, let alone guilty of committing adultery with that woman at that time.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
Haven't you heard the good news, Christ came to take the curse away? Now we live with Him in our hearts, in freedom and joy.
Yep he took the curse away

It does not negate the fact that if you commit one sin, you have broken the law

so why do you go back to what curses you, instead of looking to what can actually help you?

if I commit murder, I have sinned according to the law. Just because I am saved does not mean it is ok to murder

The problem is, The command "do not commit murder" does not tell you HOW to keep it. HOW to wakj in a way you are not even tempted to break it. Or how to walk in a way you will not break it.

It was not given for that purpose. It was given so that when you commit that sin, TO SHUT YOU UP, and give you no excuse of saying you have kept the law. Because in breaking it you have failed

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
Again, you aren't reading the text closely enough. Jesus said, "The one who is without sin, let him cast the first stone." He didn't specify whether they were guilty of adultery, let alone guilty of committing adultery with that woman at that time.
its typical of religious people. They pump their chests and claim they are not like the inner. When they are just as guilty, even if they did not commit the same sins.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
You are clear on my views but you don't seem to be buying them...why is that?

Because I have given scriptural substantiation for what I have been preaching.

I think that we need to continue this conversation until one of us realizes the viewpoint of the other is correct or until we can come to a consensus on who our viewpoints fit together in holy scripture.

For it is written,

1Co 1:10, Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
“You are clear on my views but you don't seem to be buying them...why is that?”

because I have adopted the “ view “ of what scripture says and some of what you are saying you are adding and no those scripture numbers you reference don’t say what you are saying is the thing

I don’t see any reason to keep going your not going to move and I’m certainly not going to put myself or advocate any Christian out themselves back under a law Jesus does to put away from us but I have shown you over and over and you continue to tell Me what you think.

I definately don’t agree but that’s not the end of the world or anything the truth is if someone like you believes you need to keep the law you need to for your own conscience sake but it’s not a yoke I would ever partake of I think the apostles decided very clearly this matter but I’ve shown you chapter 15 of acts a couple times you aren’t able to acknolwedge things unless you are saying it in my opinion

but hey I’m convinced also so I don’t see any reason to keep going we are both just repeating ourselves and flooding the forum with an argument that isn’t moving either of us

my Best idea is to let it sit because the alternative is going to be repetition of the same

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
because I have adopted the “ view “ of what scripture says and some of what you are saying you are adding and no those scripture numbers you reference don’t say what you are saying is the thing
Please give an example of this.

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
Yes we are. As jesus said, No one is GOOD but GOD.
Barnabas was a good man; full of the Holy Ghost and faith (Acts 11:22-24).

Gal 5:22, But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Gal 3:13, Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

Jan 15, 2022
Barnabas was a good man; full of the Holy Ghost and faith (Acts 11:22-24).
Many in the old testement were referred to as righteous, yet David said:
Do not bring your servant into judgement, for no one living is righteous before you Psalms 143:2

The bible does not contradict itself. So, we must consider no one was truly righteous before God as no one could perfectly obey the law, but God would consider people as righteous, bearing in mind human limitations.
Also, no one is truly good except God, but God would consider people good, taking into account human limitations

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
Many in the old testement were referred to as righteous, yet David said:
Do not bring your servant into judgement, for no one living is righteous before you Psalms 143:2

The bible does not contradict itself. So, we must consider no one was truly righteous before God as no one could perfectly obey the law, but God would consider people as righteous, bearing in mind human limitations.
Also, no one is truly good except God, but God would consider people good, taking into account human limitations
In Romans 3:10-18, we find the concept that there is no one righteous; no, not one;

However, the passage is qualified by verses 9 and 19.

In verse 9, we find that both Jews and Gentiles are all under sin. yet in 1 Corinthians 10:32, we find that there are three people groups in holy scripture...Jews, Gentiles, and the church of God.

The church of God is not under the law (Romans 6:14).

In verse 19, we find that Romans 3:10-18 is what the law says to and about those who are under it; which does not include the church of God.

In Romans 5:19, we find that through the obedience of one many will be made righteous.

This would indicate that, while it is scripturally true that every man is born dead in trespasses and sins, that when a person is born again they become truly righteous before God; they become a new creature in Christ; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new! (2 Corinthians 5:17). We are to put on the new man who has been created in righteousness and true holiness (Ephesians 4:24).

When it comes to our practical walk, we can walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit (Romans 8:4) consistently for an extended period of time; even for the rest of our lives (Luke 1:74-75); and in this the righteousness of the law will be consistently fulfilled in us (Romans 8:4).

Because we are not obligated to obey the flesh (Romans 8:12 (kjv, NLT)).

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
I would encourage the reader to be a Berean (Acts 17:10-11) and see for themselves whether or not the scriptures I have referenced support the things that I am saying or not; and not to jus take your word for it that they do not support my statements.

Because I believe that if the reader will look up the scriptures in question, they will be able to see that the scriptures in question do support the statements that have been made.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Many in the old testement were referred to as righteous, yet David said: Do not bring your servant into judgement, for no one living is righteous before you Psalms 143:2. The bible does not contradict itself.
Yes. The Bible does not contradict itself, but we must rightly divide the Word of Truth. David was correct in what he said since that matches the Scripture which says "There is none righteous, no not one". So when the OT saints were called righteous, that was because GOD HAD IMPUTED RIGHTEOUSNESS to them. And God imputes righteousness to the one who believes Him and/or believes on the Lord Jesus Christ. Abraham believed God and it was imputed to him for righteousness. Yet, many Christians have not grasped this fundamental Gospel truth.