gender of clothes, where to draw the line

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

timemeddler

Jul 13, 2023
A popular world view is that clothes have no gender wear whatever you want. I Know about deuteronomy 22 5, and after reading Galations I gather the important thing is why the law was written, and did some interesting reading on the possible reasons such as forms of idol worship involving cross-dressing and attempting to gain access to places men aren't allowed (think today's bathroom nonsense).

I'm fairly sure trying to pass as the opposite gender is sin. But what about people who only use one or two garments for some practical purpose or fashionable purpose while still presenting as their own gender? Some things are actually unisex like corsets and tights, other items are so close it's hard to tell the difference. An example would be a wool jacket I bought last year from goodwill, it was only after I tailored it to fit that I noticed the buttons were on the wrong side, I figure If I didn't realize it no one would care. Then there's the whole application of historical costuming.

So, were do you feel the line should be drawn?

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Scottish men wear kilts. I don't see a problem with that. I've known men who wore sarongs; but they covered most of their legs. I think it only becomes a problem when clothing is part of a total package in which someone is trying to be perceived as the opposite sex.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Buttons on one side of a coat or shirt for women and the other for men isn't a universally followed practice, and there's no clear reason for the tradition - it's thought that maybe a man's shirt buttons traditionally left-over-right so that a righthanded person's sword hilt was less likely to catch on their shirt as they draw it across their chest, from a scabbard hanging on their left hip..? but that's only speculative, there's no evidence i know of that was the thinking.

It's interesting that at the time the Torah was written, in the culture men and women generally wore tunics, that are unisex - there wasn't the sharp distinction between clothing fir different genders that we have in the west today.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I think the point is your intent when dressing. It's not uncommon to see women wear certain men's clothing. Not to cross dress, but sometimes the sizing fits them better. Or you just may not be able to tell. Such things I'd deem fine. I think when it's the intent to cross dresss out of a desire to wear women's or men's clothes, is when it becomes wrong.
If you bought a woman's jacket on accident but can't tell, I'd say go for it. If it were obvious, then I might reconsider.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Signs hanging above racks of clothing that say "Men's " and "Women's " I find helpful. Btw, they have them near doorways of restrooms also.

Ted01

May 14, 2022
I once wore a dress that showed my knees... I won't do that again!

timemeddler

Jul 13, 2023
yeah intentions are important, during a heat wave the trend of men wearing skirts makes sense, as long s they aren't overly girly.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
yeah intentions are important, during a heat wave the trend of men wearing skirts makes sense, as long s they aren't overly girly.
:unsure:o_Oo_O
I'm seeing a trend here.....

unless you are a Scot..... then there's the age-old question.... what do Scotsmen wear under their kilts..... (see: Braveheart)

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Scottish men wear kilts. I don't see a problem with that. I've known men who wore sarongs; but they covered most of their legs. I think it only becomes a problem when clothing is part of a total package in which someone is trying to be perceived as the opposite sex.
IF we take all the stories we hear about Jesus appears or some angel.. how were they described? Yeah :) not waring pants haha

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
I think the Bible is getting to the root issue of non-heterosexual relations; it's not really about the clothes themselves but about intention. Like, if a male is dressed up as a woman, is he trying to attract a male? Or, is he trying to attract a woman, who fancies women? It's just easier/more safe to say don't dress in the other gender's clothes. A straight man who sees a male in women clothes may also be sexually attracted to him, since men are "visual", so it can be about preventing temptation as well.

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
Buttons on one side of a coat or shirt for women and the other for men isn't a universally followed practice, and there's no clear reason for the tradition - it's thought that maybe a man's shirt buttons traditionally left-over-right so that a righthanded person's sword hilt was less likely to catch on their shirt as they draw it across their chest, from a scabbard hanging on their left hip..? but that's only speculative, there's no evidence i know of that was the thinking.

It's interesting that at the time the Torah was written, in the culture men and women generally wore tunics, that are unisex - there wasn't the sharp distinction between clothing fir different genders that we have in the west today.
same argument i use with my dad about 1963 ! I was able to buy a pair of button fly 501 Levi's total cost $3.56 . We girls did not ware them like the boys turning the cuffs under to mid calf like peddle pushers , Also the Ws on the pockets were removed.

Jun 20, 2022
yeah, i don't buy the t'shirts that claim [for everyone], i get the specific ones with writing on the front, that read, "i'm with Stupid ->"