Genesis 19:8 - Lot offering his daughters

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Alertandawake

Aug 20, 2017
I been looking at the Genesis 19:8 (KJV) verse again, and I got some questions that need answering. Now the part that has got me confused is this section here, specifically this part here "and do ye to them as is good in your eyes". Now what does this mean? Because what was good in the eyes of the people of Sodom does not mean what they were doing was good.

So what did Lot mean? What do people understand of the meaning?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I been looking at the Genesis 19:8 (KJV) verse again, and I got some questions that need answering. Now the part that has got me confused is this section here, specifically this part here "and do ye to them as is good in your eyes". Now what does this mean? Because what was good in the eyes of the people of Sodom does not mean what they were doing was good.

the same as Judges 19.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Consider that this was under duress. Since you didn't provide any potential conclusions, I find this a helpful track.

Either way it didn't occur.

Jan 4, 2020
washburn Tn
Consider that this was under duress. Since you didn't provide any potential conclusions, I find this a helpful track.

Either way it didn't occur.
I think he was trying to protect The angels from the Gay man , but it still don't look good to me , When he was going to turn his daughters over to them, Not knowing that the angels could take care of themselves I guess. OR maybe he didn't know that they were angels.

John146

Jan 13, 2016

The sodomites wanted to have sexual relations with the angels (men). Lot offered his daughters instead for them to do unto his daughters as they wanted, sexual relations...but they wanted Lot and the angels who they thought were men visiting Lot.

Jan 4, 2020
washburn Tn
The sodomites wanted to have sexual relations with the angels (men). Lot offered his daughters instead for them to do unto his daughters as they wanted, sexual relations...but they wanted Lot and the angels who they thought were men visiting Lot.
This is what I got out of it, But still there could be something other then that, I do not under stand how he made that chose. I couldn't

John146

Jan 13, 2016
This is what I got out of it, But still there could be something other then that, I do not under stand how he made that chose. I couldn't
And yet he was still called "just Lot"....

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
In my time this is said to be the Angels of the Lord. There were Three Who came down, but One separated from them before coming to Sodom and Gomorah. This makes the incident far more seious and heinous. Had the men been allowed to get close to the Angels, they would have been destroyed in the act.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019

It means rape, rape and more rape. Women had absolutely no value back in the day. Lot’s words justify my statement.

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
Possibly the sin of sodomy is so abhorant that Lot viewed rape as a preferable alternative. Also, he was protecting the people under his roof, to the point of being prepared to sacrifice his own life and family.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
In my time this is said to be the Angels of the Lord. There were Three Who came down, but One separated from them before coming to Sodom and Gomorah. This makes the incident far more seious and heinous. Had the men been allowed to get close to the Angels, they would have been destroyed in the act.
Absolutely! Angels in the form of men. Angels are always men. Lot gave up his own daughters for the angels.

Sep 3, 2016

It means wisdom from the lukewarm Believer is always flawed, as is evidenced here.

JSM

When God allows Satan to apply pressure to the flesh, impurities surface and most Believers Faith fail.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
It means wisdom from the lukewarm Believer is always flawed, as is evidenced here.

JSM

When God allows Satan to apply pressure to the flesh, impurities surface and most Believers Faith fail.
Elaborate

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
The ancient Middle East was a brutal place. And they are becoming that way again. God destroyed those towns because they were utterly wicked. Chucking your daughter out on the street to be gang-raped is a pretty good indicator of just how depraved things had become. And they didn't even want her! They wanted (what they thought) was the man instead. It's like LBGTQ culture on steroids.

It may have been common practice in that time. If anyone thinks this episode is bad read Judges Chapter 19 and 20. It's a similar event but with a more gruesome outcome.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
Perhaps it should be noted that not long after that even though God saved them from destruction, Lot's daughters went to him to become impregnated by their own father. The descendants of that incest became two nations that trouble Israel even into this age.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Absolutely! Angels in the form of men. Angels are always men. Lot gave up his own daughters for the angels.
Something about the word, angel, in the Bible.
When one of the disciples reported to the others that he haad seen Jesus walking on the water, another of them replied it must be His angel.

Angle literaly means messenger. It is also used as we use the word, spirit and ghost.

This is not a debated subject smply from study over many decades and my own passion for etymologies have been a linguistics major at the University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana.. This last and a dollar will not get you a latte at Starbuck's.

¨God bless always...

oyster67

May 24, 2014

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Lot is a prime example of some things we, as men of God, should not be. This situation displays his weakmindedness. It was his choice to raise his family in that filthy city in the first place. Here this "man" is using his own daughters as meat-shields. Neither God nor His angels need our protection or defense anyway. He was such a contrast to his brave and bold uncle Abe, who was constantly having to save Lot's sorry butt.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
being prepared to sacrifice his own life
I see no indication here that Lot was willing to voluntarily offer his own fanny...

Genesis 19
19:4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, [even] the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter:
19:5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where [are] the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.
19:6 And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,
19:7 And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.
19:8 Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as [is] good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.
19:9 And they said, Stand back. And they said [again], This one [fellow] came in to sojourn, and he will needs be a judge: now will we deal worse with thee, than with them. And they pressed sore upon the man, [even] Lot, and came near to break the door.
19:10 But the men put forth their hand, and pulled Lot into the house to them, and shut to the door.
19:11 And they smote the men that [were] at the door of the house with blindness, both small and great: so that they wearied themselves to find the door.

P

pottersclay

I think the scriptures were trying to convey that they were not just sexually motivated but blinded to a certain act only.
Giving proof to the scripture that the sin of Sodom had reached it's pinnacle and now there was only judgement left.
For lot to make this statement was by no means just or righteousness but it shows that lot knew these were more than mere men.

Mar 28, 2016
I think another way to look at in both examples. The Genesis and what another poster offered "the same as Judges 19."

I would offer in that parable God was confirming unbelief in their hearts. Therefore sending them a strong delusion to believe the lie.

it was like when the faithless Jews that gathered themselves together as their own fleshly desires because of their jealousy of the surrounding Pagan nations. As foundation they wanted Kings ruling it over their faithlessness .They refused to walk by faith. No desire of serving a King not seen. Called "no faith" in the bible. No understanding of God.

God sent them a strong delusion to keep on believing the lie

Signs are designed for those who will not believe.. . Prophecy, the word of God. The concubine in that parable is used to represent the divorced bride as the other non born again Israel or also called the strange woman.. or harlot. . Cut her up into twelve divisions (sects or denominations ) to show there was no agreement with God, no unity amongst the brethren. Sent them a strong delusion as a sign of their rebellion.

The Levite the mediator as a priest.

Behold, here is my daughter a maiden, and his concubine; them I will bring out now, and humble ye them, and do with them what seemeth good unto you: but unto this man do not so vile a thing. But the men would not "hearken to him:" so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning: and when the day began to spring, they let her go. Then came the woman in the dawning of the day, and fell down at the door of the man's house where her lord was, till it was light. And her lord rose up in the morning, and opened the doors of the house, and went out to go his way: and, behold, the woman his concubine was fallen down at the door of the house, and her hands were upon the threshold. And he said unto her, Up, and let us be going. But none answered. Then the man took her up upon an ass, and the man rose up, and gat him unto his place. And when he was come into his house, he took a knife, and laid hold on his concubine, and divided her, together with her bones, into twelve pieces, and sent her into all the coasts of Israel. Judges 19: 24-29

Twelve to represent the whole or unity. Again divided as a sign to represent no unity

The parable in Genesis is similar in that the wife was turned in salt. A sign of the judgment of death against those who rebel against prophecy God's word .like the woman in Judges that fell dead at the door step not entering into the house And the daughters were used to represent by dividing into two gentiles nations. Moab the Moabites and Amon the Ammonites coming from them again to represent unbelievers no faith that comes from hearing God.

In that way we compare the spiritual unseen understanding of one parable to another. That would seem to fit the prescription for rightly dividing that I will offer below.

Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.1 Corinthians 2:13