Genesis 4:5

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
There are basic things we all understand. We know it takes blood and grace for forgiveness of our sin. We know we can't do this ourselves, it takes the blood shed by Christ. We all understand.

Cain wanted forgiveness, as he sacrificed to the Lord from his own hand. That is clear. Abel wanted forgiveness and he gave the blood of a lamb, symbolic of Christ. That is clear. Works of our hands do not save, the blood of Christ saves. Abel and Cain clearly show this.
You are making claims for which there is no evidence in the text. NOTHING is said about forgiveness in this passage. There is not even a hint that the sacrifices were any sort of offering for sin.

Diakonos

Jan 19, 2019
Anacortes, WA
Cain's offering was accepted
Sorry, there is no Biblical evidence for this. In fact, there is evidence against it.

Cain was not born of God; he was a child of the devil. (1 John 3:8-12)
He is used as an example of apostasy in Jude's epistle (Jude 11)
“those who are in the flesh (e.g. Cain) cannot please God.” (Romans 8:8)
Personal obedience and heeding God instruction in the personal life affects His regard for sacrifices (Jeremiah 6:19–20)

But Abel's sacrifice was approved by God because it was done in genuine faith (Hebrews 11:4)

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
I think that someone is really upset about all the thoughts on this passage that differ from theirs...

*Sigh*

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Abel's offering also pre-figured the need for a blood sacrifice...
This is the key to Abel's offering. Without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins. From the time of Adam to the time of Christ clean animals were to be sacrificed and their blood poured out so that there would be an atonement for sins. At the same time human beings were forbidden to consume blood, and that still applies to Christians. But atonement means a "covering".

God accepted these sacrifices as a covering for sins in anticipation of the ultimate sacrifice of Christ (who was slain from BEFORE the foundation of the world in God's eyes). Christ was the Lamb of God who took away the sin of the world. He was the Propitiation for the sins of the whole world.

There is no doubt that Adam and Eve would have taught Cain and Abel the meaning and the necessity of such sacrifices to God. But Cain was already under the influence of Satan (called "the Wicked One"), therefore he refused to do what God required, and did what he pleased. In fact he was an evil man. Therefore his offering was rejected.

Not as Cain, who was of that Wicked One, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous. (1 John 3:12)

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
You are making claims for which there is no evidence in the text. NOTHING is said about forgiveness in this passage. There is not even a hint that the sacrifices were any sort of offering for sin.
I should think that when the Lord tells us of a sacrifice we would know what the Lord means by that, It was as a sacrifice that Cain and Abel acted.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I should think that when the Lord tells us of a sacrifice we would know what the Lord means by that, It was as a sacrifice that Cain and Abel acted.
I agree. However, it was not a sacrifice for sins committed.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I agree. However, it was not a sacrifice for sins committed.
What was it a sacrifice for if not like the other sacrifices?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
What was it a sacrifice for if not like the other sacrifices?
The text doesn't tell us. We can look at Leviticus and Deuteronomy to see the various kinds of sacrifices/offerings; most had nothing to do with sin or forgiveness.

E

eternally-gratefull

Cain offered of the fruit of his labor (works) he was the first in a long line of people trying to appease God through religion and self effort expecting God to recieve his works. And not the sacrifice of another as a sacrifice FOR himself.

Abel offered a type of Christ. The lamb slain.. It was not a sacrifice of his work. It was a sacrifice of Gods work.

laymen

Apr 6, 2014
faithlife.com
In the past, I've just read this and not understanding it, passed it up. Does this mean that God likes Cattlemen, and not Farmers? I've heard others confidently offer explanations that made no more sense to me.

When we are forgiven for sin blood must be part of that offering.

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
I have tried to dissect this verse also.
I have looked at it and ask myself, is this a form of favoritism?
If it is a form of favoritism, there must be a reason.
It would also conflict other verses in the Bible.

Fast forward in the Bible and we learn and know that there is no favoritism with God.

Definitely a verse to study and look at it from every angle possible

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021

Fast forward in the Bible and we learn and know that there is no favoritism with God.

God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
You know what's disturbing? This is only the fourth chapter of the very first
book of the Bible.

When folks experience problems with the Bible so early-on, they should
probably expect things to become even more difficult with the remaining
65 books; most especially folks who are self-taught instead of instructed.
_

Aug 20, 2021
book of the Bible.

_
self-taught is the problem there's love in i,,,We would say. Start with the first 4 in the new testament but if u r directed buy god...it won't matter where u start at.

Katia

Aug 29, 2021
PDX
book of the Bible.

_
I was instructed for years and especially after 9/11 it all began to fall apart. 25 years as a Christian and then it all began to fall apart. If you continue your present conduct, there is "Ignore".

Blik

Dec 6, 2016

Why do you look at what God wrote to you from your point of view and not as something God gives you from God's view of the world? From God's point of view, God determines if our sacrifices are correct s, God gives grace based on them. There is only one sacrifice that God accepts, and that is Christ, or the blood that was a symbol of Christ, God said blood was required for forgiveness of sin. Without blood, no forgiveness. God is eternal, so God does't change. What is true in the gospels is true at the beginning.

God is the author of scripture, we need to keep that in mind and not make ourselves the author.