Giving Up Impurity, Looking for Accountability and Prayer

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Matthias7

Oct 14, 2019
I am trying to give up all impurity, especially fantasies and masturbation, and grow in my relationship with Christ. I recently gave this up and could use encouragement and prayer. I'm also looking for an accountability partner, someone I can check in with probably daily and who I can reach out to for prayer and encouragement during times of strong temptation.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
When you are saving money for a big thing you want to buy, what do you do when you are tempted to blow some money? You focus on the objective that would be hurt if you blew that money.

The same thing can apply to anything you do that can hurt a goal you care about.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
I am trying to give up all impurity, especially fantasies and masturbation, and grow in my relationship with Christ. I recently gave this up and could use encouragement and prayer. I'm also looking for an accountability partner, someone I can check in with probably daily and who I can reach out to for prayer and encouragement during times of strong temptation.

Hidden sin maintains it's power in it's secrecy and the shame that comes from it. Your best chance at victory over habitual sin is accountability with a brother face to face within your church community rather than maintaining the secrecy by seeking accountability with unknown strangers online. James exhorted us to confess our sins one to another and within the context it would dictate that to be within the community of the local body.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Release whoever it is thats disturbing to you to God.
I dont know about accountability partners, but a proverb God gave me was Proverbs 18:3

I had to look up ignominy, it means...public disgrace. Whoever is giving you fantasies it would be Satan behind it. Becuause that person is probably innocent of whatver you are thinkign about them.

I had a workmate who told me he had fantasies about me, ugh. He said I was in his dreams and Im like ok what was I doing in your dream. I shouldnt have asked.

Matthias7

Oct 14, 2019
I'm mostly looking for someone who uses this site who would be willing to accept prayer requests and to pray for me when I'm struggling with temptation.

Krumbeard

Apr 15, 2019
Oncefallen has some great insights here. I agree, find someone local and in person. I have several men I meet with and hold each other accountable. It is freeing and a blessing. But it only works if you continue to be honest and consistent.
Try to get to the root of what drives this sin.
And as you grow in this area and become stronger your mind will begin to be transformed. It is awesome and hope for you to continue in this journey!

It will be hard but don't give up!

There is another thread in another forum with some really good information. I will try to find it and post the link.

M

morefaithrequired

Hidden sin maintains it's power in it's secrecy and the shame that comes from it. Your best chance at victory over habitual sin is accountability with a brother face to face within your church community rather than maintaining the secrecy by seeking accountability with unknown strangers online. James exhorted us to confess our sins one to another and within the context it would dictate that to be within the community of the local body.
i would be concerned telling a Church colleague some of my bigger sins. They may feel a need to tell others.
As long as you can admit it to God...in my opinion

Krumbeard

Apr 15, 2019
i would be concerned telling a Church colleague some of my bigger sins. They may feel a need to tell others.
As long as you can admit it to God...in my opinion
I believed this for so many years. It was a trick of the devil. When I finally had to come clean on this it was so freeing. Now I am open about it. I need to be. And, it is a huge problem in the church.

M

morefaithrequired

I believed this for so many years. It was a trick of the devil. When I finally had to come clean on this it was so freeing. Now I am open about it. I need to be. And, it is a huge problem in the church.
trick of the devil?
more like commonsense. the devil gets blamed for everything these days.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
trick of the devil?
more like commonsense. the devil gets blamed for everything these days.
Don't shrug it off so easily. I've wrestled with personal confession when I feel convicted to do otherwise. Some things I think the Lord agrees I don't need to be explicit about but sharing the struggle goes a long way for others that are also struggling.

Sharing his victory can be sooo helpful for encouragement and edification. I think there that private confession is definitely a first step but doing everything privately may in some way lead to stunted growth in community in some fashion.

I've just settled with a non-specific way of talking about it. Like you obviously know what I'm speaking about when I say "lust" or "tension" and I'm not 100% that maybe it's not the Lord with people describing in detail the things they have done. It could be possible that is why I continue to struggle, I don't know.

It's just hard to say and my mind/spirit is not made up on this issue. I'm certainly not for being explicit about any sin unless you trust that person quite well. To me it's kind of a need to know situation.

Like if you were in a Jonah moment and you knew why the storm was raging, you knew that it was the Lord's fury at you and you are causing everyone else to suffer because you are in rebellion against him then yes...in such a situation it would behoove you to "own it". Yes, I do think situations like these occur. Probably not with real storms but I've also had some pretty peculiar coincidences that even in super doubt mode caused me serious pause and check my behavior. Those things I'm not really going to speak on, except that conviction sometimes can be physical when you are ignoring the Lord. Plenty of OT examples, NT ones not so much except very obviously revelation.

Matthias7

Oct 14, 2019
Thanks for all your replies. I had a mentor and an accountability partner for awhile and then I ended up pursuing this on my own again. I have had ups and downs. I'm looking again for an accountability partner here through this site, so if you happen to find this old page and think you could help me, please send me a PM. I'm open to anyone, as long as you are sincere in trying to help. Send me a PM.

Princesse

Feb 16, 2020
Check out the XXX Church. That’s their specialty. I contemplated being an accountability partner in the past.