Giving While Visiting

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

BigRIJoe

Dec 25, 2021
I am a tithing Christian who, while looking for a new church, have been supporting a tract ministry . What would be an appropriate amount to give as an offering when visiting a church to "check things out."? I have a figure I THINK God has given me, but I';m not sure whose voice I am hearing

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
I am a tithing Christian who, while looking for a new church, have been supporting a tract ministry . What would be an appropriate amount to give as an offering when visiting a church to "check things out."? I have a figure I THINK God has given me, but I';m not sure whose voice I am hearing
This varies by person. Just remember that God doesn't want your spare change. You must feel good with the amount you give.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
God loves a cheerful giver...just get alot of $1 bills and put them in the collection plate until you feel cheerful.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
What ever amount God lays on your heart. I pray that you find a church soon.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
whatever you can give that your heart tells you after $ is set aside to pay bills, retirement, miscellaneous necessities. if you are rich, give more.

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
Hi! Don't give more than you feel able to afford to give.
2 Cor 8:12

12 For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not.
KJV

Also let God guide you as whether to donate to just a church or to a church and whether to give additionally to other good spiritual causes in the world. Keep enough money for yourself to spend on things you need or on things that cost, that you feel God wants you to be involved in doing.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
I would only give if you are certain that the new church you are checking out is doctrinally sound in the basics, like the gospel, the doctrine of Christ. Galatians 1

II John
"Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds."

I would apply this to giving too, since that is supporting the messages, teaching, doctrine of the churches that you might not be familiar with yet. I've been surprised by some of the pastors and tracts, after attending for a number of services, to find out that they taught a works based Salvation .

For instance, I like tracts as a tool to leave behind for the Scriptures after leading someone to Christ. I've read hundreds of tracts from Jack Chick to the Bible Tract Society. Most are good until the end. Then there's a prayer that slips in good works. It shows me that most tracts I've read contained a false gospel. That's not to say that your ministry of choice is doing that. We just want to support those who are truly leading others to Christ and not mixing grace with works like the cults do.

I had this conversation with my friend when he started a tract ministry. I read and reviewed hundreds of the tracts he purchased. He went to a" Baptist" church. His particular preacher was a false prophet, while other Baptist churches were fine. Likewise for my C&MA friends, and evangelical friends churches, so I am more discerning now about this..

Other than that, I'd just give as you purpose in your heart, or after you've attended enough to know. There's no requirements, but the laborer is worthy of his hire, even double honor. Many churches will not feed their pastors or evangelists, then they go home and feed their livestock to fatten them up to sell. That's the story of many of our churches in West Virginia. Some are very generous though.

There are many principles on giving, but it's really up to the individual. It's good that you have a desire to support God's people.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Tract literature is really ineffective at preaching the gospel.

There are plenty of people begging for money and make it appear as if you are giving to God when in fact you are supporting the luxury of preachers.

There are a blessed few organizations that do the real work and could use the money. Both domestic organizations and international....
The Salvation Army is one. Those in this organization live very modestly and have full time jobs of some sort. We usually only see them at Christmas during their big bell ringing campaigns.
Otherwise they are the ones hosting AA meetings and NA meetings....also prison ministries and unwed mother group homes. As well as homeless shelters and counseling services and children's summer camps and many more altruistic endeavors.

Then there's Doctors without borders. These guys are really in the trenches doing triage for those injured. They need nurses and doctors and supplies. Medical supplies are expensive. Just saying....

Mercy ships isn't exactly the most frugal....I once thought it was a great idea but then they are difficult to get the money directly to them and they tend to be a second rate vacation for those wanting to do mission work.

Personally, I financially assist missionaries in the field I personally know and have met in the field. Because true testimonies are long lasting ones...ones where someone lives transparently in an area. It takes time to be a voice to the people who you minister to. And they aren't exactly living luxurious lifestyles either.

The "profiteers from God" try their best to look like the "Prophets of God"....just saying.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
whatever you can give that your heart tells you after $ is set aside to pay bills, retirement, miscellaneous necessities. if you are rich, give more.
Just to clarify ----whatever you give it has to be the first fruit of your pay --------God's share comes first before you lay aside your amount for yourself -------by looking out for your self first --your placing yourself ahead of God ------and saying --I don't trust that God will bless me with what I need to retire ---or buy the necessities so I put God second to my needs -------

This will block your blessing ------putting God second -------

From Google
Is tithing putting God first?

God promises that if you honor Him with the first part of your income, He will bless you financially. The Purpose: “The purpose of tithing is to teach you always to put God first in your lives” (Deuteronomy 14:23 TLB). God doesn't need your money, but He wants what it represents—your heart. He wants you to trust Him.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
God loves a cheerful giver...just get alot of $1 bills and put them in the collection plate until you feel cheerful.
One dollar bills! You don't hear that expression here much any more. They
got rid of two dollar bills also. Now we have the Loonie and the Toonie
.:D

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
Just to clarify ----whatever you give it has to be the first fruit of your pay --------God's share comes first before you lay aside your amount for yourself -------by looking out for your self first --your placing yourself ahead of God ------and saying --I don't trust that God will bless me with what I need to retire ---or buy the necessities so I put God second to my needs -------

From Google

God promises that if you honor Him with the first part of your income, He will bless you financially. The Purpose: “The purpose of tithing is to teach you always to put God first in your lives” (Deuteronomy 14:23 TLB). God doesn't need your money, but He wants what it represents—your heart. He wants you to trust Him.
no, i don't mean put God last. a better explanation: especially now, since covid hit, lots of people have very little money so if a bill or bills are late in payment, don't let that happen where you will end up with bad credit, pay the bill!. God understands. a private story for you: there was a time where i was tithing more than 10% & went broke. i kept tithing more than 10% & became more broke. but i still kept tithing. must have been a huge test from God!!!

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
no, i don't mean put God last. a better explanation: especially now, since covid hit, lots of people have very little money so if a bill or bills are late in payment, don't let that happen where you will end up with bad credit, pay the bill!. God understands. a private story for you: there was a time where i was tithing more than 10% & went broke. i kept tithing more than 10% & became more broke. but i still kept tithing. must have been a huge test from God!!!
Again your not trusting God to do as He says in His word -------God comes first --thinking you will not have enough to pay your bills is not from God --that comes from Fear ----which is from Satan not God ---

You are ignorant of what God says about sowing and reaping --------you need to do some research on that and learn to Trust God to give you what you need ------

Malachi 3:10 ---God says Test me on this -------this is God's promise -----God keeps all His promises -----

Amplified Bible

10 Bring all the tithes (the tenth) into the [a]storehouse, so that there may be [b]food in My house, and test Me now in this,” says the Lord of hosts, “if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you [so great] a blessing until there is no more room to receive it.

---All needs will be supplied to you ---God's promise ----and God keeps His promises -----

https://www.learnreligions.com/what-does-the-bible-say-about-church-giving-701992

When we give freely to God, we receive freely from God.
Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. (Luke 6:38, NIV)

One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty. (Proverbs 11:24, NIV)

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
Again your not trusting God to do as He says in His word -------God comes first --thinking you will not have enough to pay your bills is not from God --that comes from Fear ----which is from Satan not God ---

You are ignorant of what God says about sowing and reaping --------you need to do some research on that and learn to Trust God to give you what you need ------

Malachi 3:10 ---God says Test me on this -------this is God's promise -----God keeps all His promises -----

Amplified Bible

10 Bring all the tithes (the tenth) into the [a]storehouse, so that there may be [b]food in My house, and test Me now in this,” says the Lord of hosts, “if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you [so great] a blessing until there is no more room to receive it.

---All needs will be supplied to you ---God's promise ----and God keeps His promises -----

https://www.learnreligions.com/what-does-the-bible-say-about-church-giving-701992

When we give freely to God, we receive freely from God.
Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. (Luke 6:38, NIV)

One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty. (Proverbs 11:24, NIV)
you're reading isn't to good here. have you read what i posted the last time? i still tithe!!!

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
One dollar bills! You don't hear that expression here much any more. They got rid of two dollar bills also. Now we have the Loonie and the Toonie
Canadian governments has been into Loony Tunes for a long time. And those coins are actually a disgrace. They wore out within a very short period.

As to Christian giving, it need not be limited to the local church where one fellowships. There are many good sound ministries which need financial support, and many needy Christians who need help. Paul was involved with helping the poor Christians in Jerusalem and Judea.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
you're reading isn't to good here. have you read what i posted the last time? i still tithe!!!
Your statement here is a BIG COP OUT Statement-----

I say --------This is your Full Quote from above ---putting God Last after you pay your bills ------and then say your broke but keep tithing ------God would never see you broke ------you would always have enough for yourself and more to tithe -----that is what the Blessing is -------

God blesses us to be a Blessing to others ------when you trust God ---you never run out of money to tithe into His Kingdom ------you will never be broke if you put God First ----your paying your Bills and not trusting God to Give you the funds you need to look after your bills ----so your Blessing is being Blocked and your Faith and Trust is little --------

read your own statement --it is full of excuses as to giving God First fruits ----your Giving God Last fruits and making bill payment more important than relying on God to give you what you need -------

Karlon said:
no, i don't mean put God last. a better explanation: especially now, since covid hit, lots of people have very little money so if a bill or bills are late in payment, don't let that happen where you will end up with bad credit, pay the bill!. God understands. a private story for you: there was a time where i was tithing more than 10% & went broke. i kept tithing more than 10% & became more broke. but i still kept Tithing

This statement here from YOUR QUOTE ------

a private story for you: there was a time where i was tithing more than 10% & went broke. i kept tithing more than 10% & became more broke. but i still kept tithing

I say ---------How could you keep tithing if your went broke---that statement makes no sense at all to me ------

and today you are to Give what is in your heart to give ------

You need to go and read the Widow's Mite ---

she gave all she had -----she is the perfect example of great faith and trust in God to give what is needs -----she believed God would replenish what she gave ------

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
Your statement here is a BIG COP OUT Statement-----

I say --------This is your Full Quote from above ---putting God Last after you pay your bills ------and then say your broke but keep tithing ------God would never see you broke ------you would always have enough for yourself and more to tithe -----that is what the Blessing is -------

God blesses us to be a Blessing to others ------when you trust God ---you never run out of money to tithe into His Kingdom ------you will never be broke if you put God First ----your paying your Bills and not trusting God to Give you the funds you need to look after your bills ----so your Blessing is being Blocked and your Faith and Trust is little --------

read your own statement --it is full of excuses as to giving God First fruits ----your Giving God Last fruits and making bill payment more important than relying on God to give you what you need -------

Karlon said:
no, i don't mean put God last. a better explanation: especially now, since covid hit, lots of people have very little money so if a bill or bills are late in payment, don't let that happen where you will end up with bad credit, pay the bill!. God understands. a private story for you: there was a time where i was tithing more than 10% & went broke. i kept tithing more than 10% & became more broke. but i still kept Tithing

This statement here from YOUR QUOTE ------

a private story for you: there was a time where i was tithing more than 10% & went broke. i kept tithing more than 10% & became more broke. but i still kept tithing

I say ---------How could you keep tithing if your went broke---that statement makes no sense at all to me ------

and today you are to Give what is in your heart to give ------

You need to go and read the Widow's Mite ---

she gave all she had -----she is the perfect example of great faith and trust in God to give what is needs -----she believed God would replenish what she gave ------
i can see you are a victim of "paralysis by analysis". you are reading too far into this & implementing your imagination into it. i never said, "put God last", you said it. no, i never went totally broke. most people would understand that that means "nearly" broke. it is extremely rare that any human totally diagrams every word in a sentence & every meaning in a statement. you have to "go with the flow" of how people speak & use your imagination to what is normal. paying a bill on time so you don't get bad credit is not an excuse. don't you think that there are people who get behind on bill payment & a situation arises where they MUST make payment be fore a tithe & then next week they can make it up at church? by course, yes, it happens every week to some family or individual! & i never said i give to God last, you said it. i said is till kept tithing. that obviously means i didn't go "totally" broke. use your brains please. Happy resurrection day to you. this is a big issue on CC & other sites, people ae reading to far into a statement implementing they imagination which throws them off on tangents. no disparagement or derision intended. may you receive all of God's blessings.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

From Google

Your section in black boldface is at best a very loose translation taken from a recognized paraphrase. Most actual translations render the verse something like, "so that you may learn to revere (or 'fear') the Lord your God always." I would strongly suggest that you don't build your life on such a flimsy foundation. Paraphrases might give you a bit of additional insight here and there, or perhaps offer an alternative perspective, but should always be compared with more solid evidence.

Tithing is required under the Sinai covenant, but not under the covenant in Christ's blood. Instructions given to the ancient Israelites aren't necessarily binding on Christians.

As a "student of the word", you should know all this already. However, judging by your other posts, I suspect you don't.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Isnt a tithe a 'tenth' it should be easy to figure out.
If you are a tithing christian.

Matt12ABC

May 16, 2023
make sure you get those tithes into the church.