God-Adonai-And-HaShem

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I did not write this, it was pasted by me, but written by it is at the bottom of the page.
You would have been better off not to paste this nonsense.

Feb 1, 2023
Why though, does the KJV translate YHWH to LORD instead of Jehovah in the OT?
Is this historical enquiry of any importance or is it more important to talk about the spirit of our Lord and his love for us?? This sounds more like a legal case or a history buff thing. Not meaning to be disrespectful.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Why though, does the KJV translate YHWH to LORD instead of Jehovah in the OT?
The translation would not be "Jehovah" but Yahweh for YHWH (as is generally accepted). But there were no vowels associated with YHWH.

However the translators were aware that Jews would not even say "Yahweh", and instead they would say "Adonai" which means "Lord" (these days they say "HaShem" which means "The Name"). But "LORD" in small capitals would represent YHWH or YHVH. Which is perfectly legitimate. For Christians YHWH is the same as "the LORD Jesus Christ". That is His designation after His resurrection and all Jews should believe on the Lord Jesus Christ to be saved..

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Nonsense you call it, Just to know how other Christians see this.
Is this not nonsense? "The Hebrew words Adonai, Alahim, Eloi, Eloah, and others are pronouns as you know. Many people feel it is wrong to substitute formerly Pagan terms or names for Father Yahuah, of course (like GOD). "

So firstly he is objecting to the word "God" as a "formerly pagan term"! Then he is substituting "Yahuah" for Yahweh (as is generally accepted). Then he is applying Yahweh to only God the Father, and ignoring the fact that it also applies to God the Son. Also he has substituted "Alahim" for "Elohim". So in fact this whole article is nonsense.

Feb 5, 2023
Didn't you post under Walter and Debbie once upon a time? 🤔❤️

HopeinHim98

Mar 16, 2023
Is this historical enquiry of any importance or is it more important to talk about the spirit of our Lord and his love for us?? This sounds more like a legal case or a history buff thing. Not meaning to be disrespectful.
It's fine. Well it's truly something I've thought about. I used to really wonder if we should be calling God by his Hebrew name. Now I've come to the point of believing it's not something that is a big deal, but the reason I ask the question is because many people believe the KJV was translated perfectly and to me this instance at least looks like they could have done better. I understand what @Nehemiah6 said in post #44 about how the Jews didn't even say the name YHWH so that's probably why they used "the LORD" instead of Jehovah. It's probably not a big deal.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
“Therefore my people shall know my name: therefore they shall know
in that day that I am he that doth speak: behold, it is I.”
Isaiah‬ ‭52:6‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Isaiah 9:2 + Matthew 14:27
:)

Feb 1, 2023
It's fine. Well it's truly something I've thought about. I used to really wonder if we should be calling God by his Hebrew name. Now I've come to the point of believing it's not something that is a big deal, but the reason I ask the question is because many people believe the KJV was translated perfectly and to me this instance at least looks like they could have done better. I understand what @Nehemiah6 said in post #44 about how the Jews didn't even say the name YHWH so that's probably why they used "the LORD" instead of Jehovah. It's probably not a big deal.
Did you study the bible at college?

E

evyaniy

so they change and hide His real name for centuries and have people referring to Him as Lord, which is akin to calling Him baal, and people defend the practice because of their traditions instead of wanting to learn the truth.

E

evyaniy

No one has ever given a substantiation for the last syllable of YHVH being Wey. There is no evidence in Scripture for that pronunciation. Or at least no one has presented that evidence after asking a number of times. Even Hebrew scholars cannot explain how it can be Wey. Other Hebrew words do not support that pronunciation and no one even can explain what Wey means in relation to His Name. It is incorrect even though it is common usage.

VAH is the pronunciation of the last syllable of YHVH which can be proven with other Hebrew words. VAH means Authoritative Word which describes Him and His Son and His Authority. Prove that wrong. But no one can because it is true.

E

evyaniy

Concerning the Son's Name there are 2 Hebrew words that reveal the sound. There is Yahsha H3467 which means YAH saves. There is Yahshua or Yeshua H3444 which means YAH is Salvation. YAH means Eternal as explained before. So those Names mean Eternal Salvation and Eternal Life.

Why would anyone want to keep calling Him Geezeus when there is so much meaning in His real Hebrew Name that honors both the Father and Son and describes Who they are.

YAHAVAH means Eternal Word and Eternal Love. That points to Father and Son and describes Them and Who they are. He also created by His Name and Word which reverberates throughout creation constantly praising Him. YAH is sounding all the time in the smallest particles to the vast universe. He created with His Authoritative Word and commands. SaVAH H6680

HopeinHim98

Mar 16, 2023
Sorry i am ignorant LOL..what is Berean?
That's okay.:) It was a group of Jews that Paul preached to in Berea that searched the scriptures to see if what he was saying was true. Acts 17:10&11

E

evyaniy

Sorry i am ignorant LOL..what is Berean?
Acts 17

10 The brothers immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea. When they arrived, they went into the Jewish synagogue.
11 Now these were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so. 12 Many of them therefore believed; also of the prominent Greek women, and not a few men. 13 But when the Jews of Thessalonica had knowledge that the word of God was proclaimed by Paul at Berea also, they came there likewise, agitating the multitudes.

Bereans received the Word with all readiness of mind and searched and examined the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.

E

evyaniy

Adonai or Adonay is H136. It is a title for YAH sometimes preceding His Name YHVH. It is often translated Sovereign when preceding His Name. It means Supreme or ruler. If they had translated His Name as YHVH instead of using "the LORD" it would have been rendered Adonai YHVH in the verses referring to Him with His Name. It would have been a more accurate title to use in the New Testament instead of Lord as a translation for the Greek Kyrios g2962 which often is used as a title for Adonai Yahshua. You can do a search on H136 to see the OT verses with Adonai or Adonay.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
From the Old Testament we have Strong's H3444 and it occurs 77 times in the KJV.
ישׁוּעה
yeshû‛âh
yesh-oo’-aw
Feminine passive participle of H3467; something saved, that is, (abstractly) deliverance; hence aid, victory, prosperity: - deliverance, health, help (-ing), salvation, save, saving (health), welfare.

The name "Jesus" is a transliteration which comes from the name we know as "Joshua" or Yehoshua. The letter "J" was put into use about 500 years ago.
Or jesus is simply how you say his name in the English language rather than Hebrew …..

“Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilæans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judæa, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God. And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭2:6-12‬ ‭KJV‬‬

would be odd if anyone needed to learn a foreign language to believe in him