GOD Is A Spirit

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Walter

Jul 20, 2022
Washington
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Thursday 10-27-22 5th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Tishri 30 5783 36th. Fall Day

Mark 12:29 Jesus replied, "This is the most important: 'Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is One. (biblehub.com)

John Four:1-54

Christ Witnesses To The Woman At The Well 1-26, Christ Witnesses To The Disciples 27-38

Christ Witnesses To The Samaritans 39-42, Christ Is Received By The Galilaeans 43-45

Christ Heals The Nobleman's Son 46-54

1 Timothy 1:17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, and invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen. (biblehub.com)

Love, Walter and Debbie

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
With respect, what does the content of your post have to do with the thread title?

DJT_47

Oct 20, 2022
There are translations that say "God is Spirit" not "a spirit". Even the interlinear in the Greek says God is spirit. There's a difference. The Spirit of God is separate from God. "The Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters", not God himself, but his Spirit. And seeing Jesus is seeing God.

Gen 1:1-2

1In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

John 14:9

Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

Oct 15, 2022
Hebrews 12:29 - "For our God is a consuming fire."

;)

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
There are translations that say "God is Spirit" not "a spirit". Even the
interlinear in the Greek says God is spirit. There's a difference. The Spirit of
God is separate from God.

I suspect you're on to something; and it's freaking me out.

The supreme being exists in a form that no one has ever seen, can see, nor
ever will see, plus; the supreme being is sequestered, i.e. to my knowledge;
the supreme being never leaves home. (John 1:18, 1Tim 6:16)

The supreme being (a.k.a. the Father) supervised the six days of creation;
but Himself was not on hand. He participated remotely by means of two
proxies: His word and His spirit which, as Christians, we know are distinctly
individual sentient beings.

I cannot explain, nor yet am I able to understand, how the Father's proxies
are just as much divine as Himself, but I'm confident they are. Granted; the
arrangement defies logic, but then, our religion deals with supernatural
things that cannot be explained by scientific thinking; so there it is.

Faith is believin' what you know ain't so.
Mark Twain
_

Oct 15, 2022
The supreme being exists in a form that no one has ever seen, can see, nor
ever will see...
Agreed.

I will add some thoughts...

The verse I posted above teaches us that God is a 'Consuming Fire'. I believe this is God's highest state of being. A Scientific explanation would be something like God is an infinite field of Energy (Electromagnetism and Power).

In addition, we all know that in the beginning, God was the Word...

John 1:1 - "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

Thus, this 'Infinite Field of Electromagnetism' would also be a field of infinite information (Word of God) that is sentient. All of this exists outside of our known Universe.

According to Scripture, this 'Consuming Fire' is invisible to us, so it has to manifest itself into the physical for us to perceive it...

Hebrews 11:3 - "Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear."

An example of this would be the Throne Room. We see a Being sitting on the Throne, however, said being is not God in his highest form. It is a 3D manifestation or representation...

Revelation 4:2 - "And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne."

Another way of putting it, is that the Throne is the 3D Godhead that is being created from the invisible Consuming Fire that exists in a higher state.

We see this concept in this next verse...

Zechariah 2:5 - "For I, saith the LORD, will be unto her a wall of fire round about, and will be the glory in the midst of her."

God exists as a 'Wall of Fire' outside of New Jerusalem, but God also exists as the Glory or Throne in the midst.

In other words, God is One and God is Three, all at the same time.

P

Polar

There are translations that say "God is Spirit" not "a spirit". Even the interlinear in the Greek says God is spirit. There's a difference. The Spirit of God is separate from God. "The Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters", not God himself, but his Spirit. And seeing Jesus is seeing God.

Gen 1:1-2

1In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

John 14:9

Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
don't fall off your chair

I agree with what you are saying here as in, God is Spirit and not a Spirit. He is not one of many, but the one and only; as He says about Himself, I AM.

I have a book by Herman Bavinck (translated by William Hendriksen from the Dutch into English) that is not an easy read, but it's worthwhile reading.

He writes extensively of the 'communicable attributes' of God. I would recommend this scholarly book to anyone who wants a further study of the nature of God

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
Hebrews 12:29 - "For our God is a consuming fire."

That's a quote from Deut 4:24 which, in context, doesn't describe God's
physical characteristics, rather, it's a figure of speech illustrating rage:
defined by Webster's as violent and uncontrolled anger. It's hard to imagine
Christianity's divine patron ticked off to that extent, but there it is.

* A consuming fire is one that cannot be extinguished, i.e. once it gets
going, there's no stopping it till all that's aflame is utterly destroyed beyond
recognition, viz: a conflagration.
_