God's Sabbath Rest - Mission Impossible

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 9, 2011
but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. - Deut 5:14

’There are six days when you may work, but the seventh day is a day of sabbath rest, a day of sacred assembly. - Leviticus 23:3

For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a day of sabbath rest to the LORD. - Exodus 35:2

It was made explicitly clear, under Moses, that the seventh day is the 'day of rest' to the Lord.

This would leave out any other day of the week, including Sunday - UNLESS - something happened that 'made obsolete' this commandment.

ALSO - Can it be 'obsolete' and at the same time 'a Living Commandment'???

Your Mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find out from Scripture, IF and When, this commandment became 'obsolete' and yet is still ALIVE.
If you needed a job real bad and the only one you could find only has work for tue,wed,thur,fri and saturday and you had hungry kids would you take the job or would you turn It down If you had to work on a Saturday?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
If you needed a job real bad and the only one you could find only has work for tue,wed,thur,fri and saturday and you had hungry kids would you take the job or would you turn It down If you had to work on a Saturday?
I didn't have hungry kids but I did have a wife and I took the job.

Aug 2, 2021
i work on Saturday and Sunday and all my Brothers an Sisters in Christ who do are NOT in sin.
Repeat - NO ONE is in sin for working on Saturday or Sunday or any other day of the week.

Now - back to the challenge:
Your Mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find out from Scripture, IF and When, this commandment became 'obsolete' and yet is still ALIVE.

KEYS words 'obsolete' and ALIVE

Let me know if can't figure it out - PEACE and Than You for your Post

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Col. 2:16-17

"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ"

Jesus fulfilled the Law totally, including the sabbath! The keeping of the sabbath is found in Christ by faith.

As Paul said, the sabbath days were a shadow of things to come, that being the fulfillment of the Law for us by Christ in it's entirety!

That means you have no right to condemn me or anyone else for not keeping the Sabbath the way you see fit! By faith in Christ the Sabbath is fulfilled in me as Jesus said, "Come unto Me and I will give you rest.

The rest of the Sabbath is found in Christ!
Jesus fullfilled all the laws, Jesus didn't murder, or steal , so are we free to murder and steal?

The Sabbath days in Col 2:16 are referring to the ceremonial commandments, Yearly sabbaths that were part of the laws that did become void. Many laws became void at the cross because they were a tutor to point to Christ or shadow of Christ, When Christ came they had no purpose. The Ten commandments are not part of those laws.
They were introduced after sin and are not the same as the weekly sabbath that was given before sin.

Mat 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
Mat 19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
Mat 19:19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Jesus said to keep the commandments. It is faith in Christs righteousness that saves us, but Christ didn't say do nothing and forget about the commandments.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
If you needed to bow down to a golden image or be killed would you do it?
Dan 3:6 And whoso falleth not down and worshippeth shall the same hour be cast into the midst of a burning fiery furnace.

When it's life and death should we compromise our faith?
Dan 3:14 Nebuchadnezzar spake and said unto them, Is it true, O Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, do not ye serve my gods, nor worship the golden image which I have set up?
Dan 3:16 Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, answered and said to the king, O Nebuchadnezzar, we are not careful to answer thee in this matter. Dan 3:17 If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. Dan 3:18 But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.
Jesus walked with them in the fire.
Dan 3:30 Then the king promoted Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, in the province of Babylon.

Keeping the commandments might mean challengers but Jesus will be with us and our faith will grow.
2Co 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
2Ti 3:12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Marriage was set up at creation and it is still practiced today
The Sabbath was set up at creation before sin and was made holy. but it has been taken away. Why would this holy practice be taken away if it was a gift for mankind.
Gen 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
Mar 2:27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
Mar 2:28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Please read carefully - i AGREE with you but you have not read carefully enough to understand this statement:
This subject has been done to death. Read Colossians and Galatians.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
If you needed to bow down to a golden image or be killed would you do it?
Dan 3:6 And whoso falleth not down and worshippeth shall the same hour be cast into the midst of a burning fiery furnace.

When it's life and death should we compromise our faith?
Dan 3:14 Nebuchadnezzar spake and said unto them, Is it true, O Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, do not ye serve my gods, nor worship the golden image which I have set up?
Dan 3:16 Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, answered and said to the king, O Nebuchadnezzar, we are not careful to answer thee in this matter. Dan 3:17 If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. Dan 3:18 But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.
Jesus walked with them in the fire.
Dan 3:30 Then the king promoted Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, in the province of Babylon.

Keeping the commandments might mean challengers but Jesus will be with us and our faith will grow.
2Co 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
2Ti 3:12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.
I was in the Royal Australian Navy when I was born again. I knew a little about Christian beliefs from a few years of forced attendance at an Anglican church. I knew nothing of the sabbath. I went to church on Sundays, when I could. That's because church was on Sunday. I was the only Christian on the ship for much of the 3-1/2 years I served on it. For one 3 week period, I worked every day with just a few hours sleep.

God was with me. He never told me that I was sinning by not taking Saturday off. I wanted to leave the service as soon as I was saved, but God blocked every avenue. The Vietnam war was still going, even though it was winding down for American and Australian forces. The Navy was not about to let me go.

Keeping the commandments does not make you spiritual. The Pharisees followed every commandment impeccably. Lord Jesus called them whitewashed tombs full of dead men's bones. You need to learn what it means to be born again, the purpose of the law and what is meant by the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus.

Aug 2, 2021
Marriage was set up at creation and it is still practiced today
The Sabbath was set up at creation before sin and was made holy. but it has been taken away. Why would this holy practice be taken away if it was a gift for mankind.
Gen 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
Mar 2:27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
Mar 2:28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.
Did God get tired and grew weary after the 6th day that HE needed to rest???

Aug 2, 2021
This subject has been done to death. Read Colossians and Galatians.
See my post #63

I have read and believe all of Scripture. Most especially the Gospel of John, Acts and the Letters.

Mar 25, 2020

’There are six days when you may work, but the seventh day is a day of sabbath rest, a day of sacred assembly. - Leviticus 23:3

For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a day of sabbath rest to the LORD. - Exodus 35:2

It was made explicitly clear, under Moses, that the seventh day is the 'day of rest' to the Lord.

This would leave out any other day of the week, including Sunday - UNLESS - something happened that 'made obsolete' this commandment.

ALSO - Can it be 'obsolete' and at the same time 'a Living Commandment'???

Since your group suffers from Everlasting Ignorance for rejecting Hebrew Torah and the Law of Moses you cannot fathom what is being said that if you get this wrong YOUR DEAD !!! First spiritually then figuratively!!
  1. Exodus 31:14
    Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
  2. Exodus 31:15
    Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
  3. Exodus 35:2
    Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the Lord: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death.
    • Exodus 31:14
      Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.

• Leviticus 16:31
      It shall be a sabbath of rest unto you, and ye shall afflict your souls, by a statute for ever. FOR EVER!!!!!

• 2 Chronicles 2:4
      Behold, I build an house to the name of the Lord my God, to dedicate it to him, and to burn before him sweet incense, and for the continual shewbread, and for the burnt offerings morning and evening, on the sabbaths, and on the new moons, and on the solemn feasts of the Lord our God. This is an ordinance for ever to Israel!! FOR EVER !

• To teach that Rabbi Paul" who taught Hebrew Torah and the Law of Moses" did on Sunday is to disregard these verses
    • Acts 18:4
      And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.
    • To teach Rabbi Paul is a Christian shows the depth of your spiritual blindness!
    • Acts 21:39
      But Paul said, I am a man which am a Jew of Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, a citizen of no mean city: and, I beseech thee, suffer me to speak unto the people.
    • Acts 22:3
      I am verily a man which am a Jew, born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, yet brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, and taught according to the perfect manner of the law of the fathers, and was zealous toward God, as ye all are this day.
  4. How can you possibly teach he is a Christian worshipping on Sunday !!
  5. Acts 13:42
    And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.
  6. Gentiles in the synagogue on the sabbath yet you so it is not so ??
  7. To me this is more proof that you suffer from Everlasting Ignorance rejecting Hebrew Torah before you even know what it teaches!
  8. Shalom

Aug 2, 2021
Since your group suffers from Everlasting Ignorance for rejecting Hebrew Torah and the Law of Moses you cannot fathom what is being said that if you get this wrong YOUR DEAD !!! First spiritually then figuratively!!
  1. Exodus 31:14
  2. Exodus 31:15
    Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
  3. Exodus 35:2
    Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the Lord: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death.
    • Exodus 31:14

• Leviticus 16:31
      It shall be a sabbath of rest unto you, and ye shall afflict your souls, by a statute for ever. FOR EVER!!!!!

• 2 Chronicles 2:4
      Behold, I build an house to the name of the Lord my God, to dedicate it to him, and to burn before him sweet incense, and for the continual shewbread, and for the burnt offerings morning and evening, on the sabbaths, and on the new moons, and on the solemn feasts of the Lord our God. This is an ordinance for ever to Israel!! FOR EVER !

• To teach that Rabbi Paul" who taught Hebrew Torah and the Law of Moses" did on Sunday is to disregard these verses
    • Acts 18:4
      And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.
    • To teach Rabbi Paul is a Christian shows the depth of your spiritual blindness!
    • Acts 21:39
      But Paul said, I am a man which am a Jew of Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, a citizen of no mean city: and, I beseech thee, suffer me to speak unto the people.
    • Acts 22:3
      I am verily a man which am a Jew, born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, yet brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, and taught according to the perfect manner of the law of the fathers, and was zealous toward God, as ye all are this day.
  4. How can you possibly teach he is a Christian worshipping on Sunday !!
  5. Acts 13:42
    And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.
  6. Gentiles in the synagogue on the sabbath yet you so it is not so ??
  7. To me this is more proof that you suffer from Everlasting Ignorance rejecting Hebrew Torah before you even know what it teaches!
  8. Shalom
SHALOM Friend, this OP is definitely NOT about Sunday worship - quite the contrary.

Neither is it about being under the Law - quite the contrary.

Can it be 'obsolete' and at the same time 'a Living Commandment'???

Your Mission, should you choose to accept it,
is to find out from Scripture, IF and When, this commandment became 'obsolete' and yet is still ALIVE.

Let me know if you cannot find the answer from Scripture - PEACE

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
See my post #63

I have read and believe all of Scripture. Most especially the Gospel of John, Acts and the Letters.

I figured it out decades ago. I don't know why it is even an issue.
Like I said, Colossians and Galatians. Also Hebrews 8:13. People should look up the word "new". The Old Covenant is death, the New Covenant is Life.
2 Corinthians 3
6And He has qualified us as ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. 7Now if the ministry of death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with such glory that the Israelites could not gaze at the face of Moses because of its fleeting glory, 8will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious?…

How can a commandment that brings death be alive? The letter of the Law kills. Lord Jesus gives life. What is so hard to understand?

Aug 2, 2021
I figured it out decades ago. I don't know why it is even an issue.
Like I said, Colossians and Galatians. Also Hebrews 8:13. People should look up the word "new". The Old Covenant is death, the New Covenant is Life.
2 Corinthians 3
6And He has qualified us as ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. 7Now if the ministry of death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with such glory that the Israelites could not gaze at the face of Moses because of its fleeting glory, 8will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious?…

How can a commandment that brings death be alive? The letter of the Law kills. Lord Jesus gives life. What is so hard to understand?
You said: "How can a commandment that brings death be alive?"

That is the challenge, to find out how that which was made obsolete by being nailed to the cross became ALIVE.

Brother we are in full agreement with each other - continue in HS7 and find the Glorious Answer.

Clue - It is is Gospel of John.

Mar 25, 2020
SHALOM Friend, this OP is definitely NOT about Sunday worship - quite the contrary.

Neither is it about being under the Law - quite the contrary.

Can it be 'obsolete' and at the same time 'a Living Commandment'???

Your Mission, should you choose to accept it,
is to find out from Scripture, IF and When, this commandment became 'obsolete' and yet is still ALIVE.

Let me know if you cannot find the answer from Scripture - PEACE

Mar 25, 2020

Why can you use the words sabbath rest, seventh-day rest, sacred assembly, then when I try to explain what they mean in Hebrew Torah you change the rules so you will not have to answer any of my scripture, you red herring you LOL !
Shalom

Aug 2, 2021

Why can you use the words sabbath rest, seventh-day rest, sacred assembly, then when I try to explain what they mean in Hebrew Torah you change the rules so you will not have to answer any of my scripture, you red herring you LOL !
Shalom
No changing of rules Friend for God Himself set His Word to be the Rule for us all.

Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array. And by the seventh day God had finished the work He had been doing; so on that day He rested from all His work.

Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because on that day He rested from all the work of creation that He had accomplished.

Does God grow weary like man?
Did HE need somewhere to lay down??
What was this 'rest' that God desired???

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
The sabbath was a Sign from God to the Israelite's that it is God who makes them Holy ----and this sign came under the Old Covenant -----so is no longer valid under the New covenant -----verse 14 has a grave warning for anyone who disrespects this command -----death is the result -----

So if it was valid today many --many --many people would have been put to death by God -----and humans have moved God's Sabbath to Sunday ---talk about a violation of God's original Sabbath Day -which is Fri evening into Saturday ---- it is definitely not Sunday -----

Exodus 31 NIV

The Sabbath
12 Then the Lord said to Moses, 13 “Say to the Israelites, ‘You must observe my Sabbaths. This will be a sign between me and you for the generations to come, so you may know that I am the Lord, who makes you holy.

14 “‘Observe the Sabbath, because it is holy to you. Anyone who desecrates it is to be put to death; those who do any work on that day must be cut off from their people.

15 For six days work is to be done, but the seventh day is a day of sabbath rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day is to be put to death.

16 The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant.

17 It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed.’”

18 When the Lord finished speaking to Moses on Mount Sinai, he gave him the two tablets of the covenant law, the tablets of stone inscribed by the finger of God.

Aug 2, 2021
The sabbath was a Sign from God to the Israelite's that it is God who makes them Holy ----and this sign came under the Old Covenant -----so is no longer valid under the New covenant -----verse 14 has a grave warning for anyone who disrespects this command -----death is the result -----

So if it was valid today many --many --many people would have been put to death by God -----and humans have moved God's Sabbath to Sunday ---talk about a violation of God's original Sabbath Day -which is Fri evening into Saturday ---- it is definitely not Sunday -----

Exodus 31 NIV

The Sabbath
12 Then the Lord said to Moses, 13 “Say to the Israelites, ‘You must observe my Sabbaths. This will be a sign between me and you for the generations to come, so you may know that I am the Lord, who makes you holy.

14 “‘Observe the Sabbath, because it is holy to you. Anyone who desecrates it is to be put to death; those who do any work on that day must be cut off from their people.

15 For six days work is to be done, but the seventh day is a day of sabbath rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day is to be put to death.

16 The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant.

17 It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed.’”

18 When the Lord finished speaking to Moses on Mount Sinai, he gave him the two tablets of the covenant law, the tablets of stone inscribed by the finger of God.
The Sabbath Rest was before the Law = Genesis 2:1-3

God firmly established His Sabbath Rest in the Law with the penalty of Death for violating His Rest.

BroTan

Sep 16, 2021
The lord have not changed his ways. For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed (Malachi 3:6) or Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. Honoring the Sabbath on the 7th day is a commandment from God given from the beginning of the creation.

The Sabbath did not start with Moses; understand that the Sabbath day is intended to be observe by all nation of people. Its origin goes back to the creation of the world and of mankind. In (Genesis 2:1) Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. 2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. 3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

The above scriptures clearly show that God blessed, sanctified and made Holy the 7th Day at the beginning of the world. God chose to cease from His labor not because He was tired. He chose to cease and rest because he was finished with His creation. The Lord had completed the heavens and the earth along with the creation of man. This day represent a future day of rest, after the Great tribulation period. This day is not alike any other day, it's set apart. Paul understood in Hebrews 4: 3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, If they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. 4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. 5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. 6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: 7 again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, Harden not your hearts. 8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

So this is what the whole world would be missing out on, because some don’t believe, they believe Sunday is the day to have an Holy Convaction on, and it’s not written in the Bible.

Let’s go into the future and see what the Lord expects in the future concerning his Sabbaths. Let turn to Isaiah 56:1 Thus saith the LORD, Keep ye judgment, and do justice: for my salvation is near to come, and my righteousness to be revealed. 56:2 Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil. 56:3 Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to the LORD, speak, saying, The LORD hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree. 56:4 For thus saith the LORD unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant; 56:5 Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off. 56:6 Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; 56:7 Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.