Good Christian advice

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 26, 2012
if you wear a thin pair of dress or sports socks under wool socks, you will not get blisters, and your feet won't be all sweaty, as the wool will wick away moisture.
Good tip.

Nov 26, 2012
Those things (cars, computers) aren’t anti Biblical either but leaving your wife and children is against scripture. That’s my point.
And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even their own life--such a person cannot be my disciple.
It is scriptural but I was kidding as I stated earlier.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even their own life--such a person cannot be my disciple.
Well yes theres that scripture, to follow Jesus ...but then theres also as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. JOshua did declare that.
But I think for us that means in the spiritual sense not physically leave them behind. You can idolise your own family it seems to make an excuse not to follow Jesus. jesus at the time was talkig to Peter and the twelve disciples if you read the passage, Peter asked that question cos he had already left everything behind. JEsus answered he will sit on the twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

PEter followed Jesus cos Jesus asked him too, he was on earth at the time. So he followed him literally everywhere he went. He gave up fishing, he left his family to go to Jerusalem where Jesus was ministering. BUt believers today cant follow Jesus physically we follow him spiritually.

Unless Jesus actually physically comes to our door and tells us to follow Him, then we cant just pack up and go and expect Him to find us. GOd can work with us right where we are. If He wants to send us out on missions then He will actually tell us so. He will place it on our hearts if we meant to go anywhere.

Anyway..I know you kidding cos you know this already! But come I really dont think its good to badger our budding pastor with hypothetical scenarios in order to test her scripture knowledge and then have an arguement about it. Its not what its about.

Most pastors will pray about any situtation first before saying oh that sounds scriptural go on ahead. They would ask you are you for real? If you say you just kidding then why bother your pastor about it. i wouldnt do that to my pastor!

Apr 11, 2019

It’s still not scriptural at all! These verses do NOT say you should forsake your wife and children to seek God alone, without them being included and led and taught by YOU!

What is meant by “hate” mother, wife, etc? Scripture with scripture is how to find the answer.

Genesis 29:30-31 KJV
[30] And he went in also unto Rachel, and he loved also Rachel more than Leah, and served with him yet seven other years. [31] And when the Lord saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb: but Rachel was barren.

Rachael was loved MORE than Leah and God says in contrast that’s hate! Hate is to “love less” so to speak in the scriptures. This is why 2 Timothy 2:15 is so vital. We are to STUDY and to RIGHTLY DIVIDE the scriptures. Improper Bible division causes one to believe lies and to lack understanding in the scriptures.

Nov 26, 2012
Well yes theres that scripture, to follow Jesus ...but then theres also as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. JOshua did declare that.
But I think for us that means in the spiritual sense not physically leave them behind. You can idolise your own family it seems to make an excuse not to follow Jesus. jesus at the time was talkig to Peter and the twelve disciples if you read the passage, Peter asked that question cos he had already left everything behind. JEsus answered he will sit on the twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

PEter followed Jesus cos Jesus asked him too, he was on earth at the time. So he followed him literally everywhere he went. He gave up fishing, he left his family to go to Jerusalem where Jesus was ministering. BUt believers today cant follow Jesus physically we follow him spiritually.

Unless Jesus actually physically comes to our door and tells us to follow Him, then we cant just pack up and go and expect Him to find us. GOd can work with us right where we are. If He wants to send us out on missions then He will actually tell us so. He will place it on our hearts if we meant to go anywhere.

Anyway..I know you kidding cos you know this already! But come I really dont think its good to badger our budding pastor with hypothetical scenarios in order to test her scripture knowledge and then have an arguement about it. Its not what its about.

Most pastors will pray about any situtation first before saying oh that sounds scriptural go on ahead. They would ask you are you for real? If you say you just kidding then why bother your pastor about it. i wouldnt do that to my pastor!
My children play sports at high competitive levels. My daughter was a figure skater. She practiced approximately 2500 minutes for each minute of performance. She did about equal for dance. For hockey and soccer it’s about 5:1 ratio practice to play. Do you think when aspiring to a position of pastor, expected to guide a congregation you should practice less? All study, and prayer regardless of hypothetical or authentic is beneficial. Here she has the opportunity for other’s insights and correction.

There’s the angles that she might have missed. Perhaps I really hated my family and was using “a higher calling” to absolve me of guilt for abandoning them. Perhaps I’m not completely stable (maybe closer to the truth), a borderline schizophrenic who thinks by fasting in the wilderness I will achieve Christhood. The way the brain works, is that every bit of information is connected. The more data we add the more effective it becomes.

Nov 26, 2012
It’s still not scriptural at all! These verses do NOT say you should forsake your wife and children to seek God alone, without them being included and led and taught by YOU!

What is meant by “hate” mother, wife, etc? Scripture with scripture is how to find the answer.

Genesis 29:30-31 KJV
[30] And he went in also unto Rachel, and he loved also Rachel more than Leah, and served with him yet seven other years. [31] And when the Lord saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb: but Rachel was barren.

Rachael was loved MORE than Leah and God says in contrast that’s hate! Hate is to “love less” so to speak in the scriptures. This is why 2 Timothy 2:15 is so vital. We are to STUDY and to RIGHTLY DIVIDE the scriptures. Improper Bible division causes one to believe lies and to lack understanding in the scriptures.
You are like a dog on a bone with this aren’t you? Now you are comparing Hebrew definition of the Old Testament to contrast the Greek of the New. Not once have you considered the age of my children. How about if I was in the military and was told to go over seas to indiscriminately kill the enemy? Is that acceptable? If I felt the “spirit lead me into the wilderness” I would go because I love my family less, as you put it. Some children thrive more in adversity. My parents split when I was three and I spent years without a father figure. My mom’s boyfriend was abusive and caused even more difficulties in childhood. It didn’t destroy me. It made me strong. My children had all of the love and support possible. Compared to when I was their ages, they are weak and less confident.

I know what you’re saying and why you’re saying it. Don’t worry, the likihood of any body reading my post, and it planting a thought in their head is minuscule. As I already stated I’m not really going into the wilderness. Think about though. If I had made my mind up that God was calling me, there wouldn’t be any scripture Old or New that could convince otherwise. Before Moses’ mom sent him downstream in a basket, setting in motion God’s plan to free Israel, it was unprecedented. Before Joshua’s army marched around the walls of Jericho to send it crashing to ground, again...unprecedented. How about eleven unlikely followers being empowered by the Holy Spirit with tongues of fire? Sometimes God does amazing things with those who just love Him enough to do what’s not rational.

Apr 11, 2019
You are like a dog on a bone with this aren’t you? Now you are comparing Hebrew definition of the Old Testament to contrast the Greek of the New. Not once have you considered the age of my children. How about if I was in the military and was told to go over seas to indiscriminately kill the enemy? Is that acceptable? If I felt the “spirit lead me into the wilderness” I would go because I love my family less, as you put it. Some children thrive more in adversity. My parents split when I was three and I spent years without a father figure. My mom’s boyfriend was abusive and caused even more difficulties in childhood. It didn’t destroy me. It made me strong. My children had all of the love and support possible. Compared to when I was their ages, they are weak and less confident.

I know what you’re saying and why you’re saying it. Don’t worry, the likihood of any body reading my post, and it planting a thought in their head is minuscule. As I already stated I’m not really going into the wilderness. Think about though. If I had made my mind up that God was calling me, there wouldn’t be any scripture Old or New that could convince otherwise. Before Moses’ mom sent him downstream in a basket, setting in motion God’s plan to free Israel, it was unprecedented. Before Joshua’s army marched around the walls of Jericho to send it crashing to ground, again...unprecedented. How about eleven unlikely followers being empowered by the Holy Spirit with tongues of fire? Sometimes God does amazing things with those who just love Him enough to do what’s not rational.

But I NEVER quoted anything in Hebrew nor Greek! I speak English. Where did that comment come from anyway?

And if no scripture at all could change your mind if you were to do that then you are in error majorly! And I’m a tough spot spiritually. That’s called PRIDE! The Bible should ALEAYS lead us and we should ALWAYS be willing to change our beliefs if God gives us scripture about it. Some folks would rather be right than fir God to be right because they HATE correction!

Proverbs 14:12 KJV
[12] There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

It may “seem” right but if scripture is contrary to it then God is right and our belief/ understanding is wrong!

Nov 26, 2012
But I NEVER quoted anything in Hebrew nor Greek! I speak English. Where did that comment come from anyway?

And if no scripture at all could change your mind if you were to do that then you are in error majorly! And I’m a tough spot spiritually. That’s called PRIDE! The Bible should ALEAYS lead us and we should ALWAYS be willing to change our beliefs if God gives us scripture about it. Some folks would rather be right than fir God to be right because they HATE correction!

Proverbs 14:12 KJV
[12] There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

It may “seem” right but if scripture is contrary to it then God is right and our belief/ understanding is wrong!
0541120D-A75A-4236-9C75-D1CD08DEC602.png DA0FEAF7-37B1-4C2E-A271-7DA493E562F7.png
The word “hate” you cited meant something different in the OT, than the one cited in the NT.

My point to you was that those heroes we read about weren’t acting on what they read in scripture nor what is rational according to men. These individuals are set apart because they forged a new path instead of treading the common one. Do you suppose the Spirit leads no more? If we could be completely dependent for every decision in the Bible, why pray? These men you read about had no Bible.

God still speaks. The Spirit still leads. Maybe if more people listened to the still, small voice and less to the interpretation of fallen men in the pulpit, we would have the revival that we need to call back the lost sheep of this world.

The Bible is not wrong, but how some teach the Bible is wrong. Unless you are willing to accept that maybe you could have learned wrong then maybe we can share your concern.

tumeric

Apr 1, 2015
it is a truth that the christian Catholic developed as the head at the beginning as stated in books of the bible but the ROMAN CHURCH fails to recognize the words of JESUS THE CHRIST in the GOSPEL OF MARK CHAPTER 9 VERSES 38 TRU 41 / these truths should be accepted by all Christians so that there is no division in the house of G-D / arguments are of no good or use when they play on words by way of interpretation or translation / i read a verse this morning which said , to para-phrase "" written prophecy means exactly what is written it can not be translated in no other terms ""

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
My children play sports at high competitive levels. My daughter was a figure skater. She practiced approximately 2500 minutes for each minute of performance. She did about equal for dance. For hockey and soccer it’s about 5:1 ratio practice to play. Do you think when aspiring to a position of pastor, expected to guide a congregation you should practice less? All study, and prayer regardless of hypothetical or authentic is beneficial. Here she has the opportunity for other’s insights and correction.

There’s the angles that she might have missed. Perhaps I really hated my family and was using “a higher calling” to absolve me of guilt for abandoning them. Perhaps I’m not completely stable (maybe closer to the truth), a borderline schizophrenic who thinks by fasting in the wilderness I will achieve Christhood. The way the brain works, is that every bit of information is connected. The more data we add the more effective it becomes.
The thing is if she knows or discerns you are kidding shes not going to treat your question seriously. Its like maths problems, if they not real, they just activities and exercises that have no bearing on real life situations. How many if us in school had to answer silly maths problems that didnt teach us anything instead of going out and actually applying maths to real life.

I dont know about competitive sports, in that arena, at the end of the day its only a GAME. Pastoring isnt a game. It can be life or death to people.

But ok, if you are genuine, I wouldnt say its because you necessarily shcizophrenic. I have dealt with schizophrenics type behaviours before...the safer option for someone whos actually schizophrenic is to write a book or a novel about their fantasy, then they wont do it in real life.

Another thing is people that believe they have to leave their families to find God dont really know God and that can be remedied by simply praying with them and sharing the gospel. Cos Jesus says I will never leave you nor forsake you.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Training ground for pastors...go volunteer to work on a farm that has sheep...maybe do some wwoofing. When you have practical experience of looking after herds of sheep, you will have a shepherds heart and can apply that to people.