Hello, eternally-gratefull.

I will try to answer your questions according to my understanding, but I hope my response in no way incites argument or disunity. For Christ's body is to abide in love. (

1 Corinthians 1:10,11; chapter 13)
May I begin by sharing with you a somewhat personal true story? My Father has his Master's degree in Divinity. He was formerly a pastor. I was about 5 the last time he pastored a church. I am confident that he did have a sincere salvation experience and proceeded to have a relationship with God. (He speaks of times God spoke to him and it chokes him up.) Somewhere thereafter he began to wane in his spiritual fervency. Now he has ongoing bitterness and unforgiveness, uses critical unmerciful speech, and he mocks my Mother and me for reading our Bibles and getting away from the tv. I am not trying to make him out as a monster, because there are times when he is gentle, generous, and the other day he gave me some important wisdom. But his current heart condition is troubling.
He is not acting as a new creation. He is not following several of the New Testament directives for a joint heir with Christ. (Matthew 6:15 says if we don't forgive, He won't forgive us.) I hope he is saved, but at times I question. This has been going on for several years. I am praying for him. God is his Judge, not me.
Why would a new creation act like it's old self which was crucified? Because our life in this world is a test and the tempter can still tempt children of God. We still have the opportunity to sin and keep sinning habitually. The NT gives us, as believers, many instructions that we have to purposefully give thought and effort to in following...daily. (Of course it is by God's grace that we can and do follow them.)
It is by belief in Jesus that we become a new creation and are saved, yes! We can do nothing that gets us to salvation except have faith in what Jesus did for us. But thereafter if we love God we will obey His commands. We must be DILIGENT (

) to honor the Lord's instructions in His Holy Word. We do have responsibility in this respect. I do not think we are obedient by default.
-EliBeth